Thread: Sunbeam PC 001 with Brass Boiler problems

Sunbeam PC 001 with Brass Boiler problems

Recently Ive bought this machine that used to belong to a older guys mother.
    Its Sunbeam first espresso, it was released about 15-18 years ago and it was made in Italy (according to Sunbeams Customer Service Representative, Louise Hoffman, *and thats all they knew about it).
    Its body mostly metal contruction. It has a small brass boiler and brass solenoid pump(GSL brand). *
    The filter baskets are 54mm in diameter and unpressurised.
    The group handle made of chromed brass (heavy) and looks brand new. *
    Its in pristine cosmetic condition and cost me $5.
    It looks like it was only used half a dozen times.

The trouble was, at first the pump only hummed when switched on.
    I took the pump apart one night , cleaned the internals, put it back together and now the pump works fine.

The trouble is,whenever the machine’s boiler heater element is connected up, it blows the safety switch in my powerbox.

It wasn’t blowing the safety switch before when the pump wasn’t working. *

Is it fixable?

I’ve included some pictures.

regards,
    Phil

Re: Sunbeam PC 001

As I suspected it seems to share components with Saeco like this one:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1189832241

Mine has the exact same group handle except its black where this one is red.

Re: Sunbeam PC 001 with Brass Boiler problems

WARNING: Unless youre a sparky dont be playing with the 240v - It can and does kill people.

Quote Originally Posted by 535B585B134A210 link=1243519946/0#0 date=1243519946
    The trouble is,whenever the machine’s boiler heater element is connected up, it blows the safety switch in my powerbox.

It wasn’t blowing the safety switch before when the pump wasn’t working.
    Id be checking any of the wires you touched when you were pulling the pump out.

Or, grab a multimeter and check for shorts - unplugged of course.

Do you know how many amps it uses? *Try connecting it up to a different plug (one that still has a fuse in the powerbox).

Thanks Picololatte,
    The safety switch that tripped in the powerbox only had to be switched back on, after I unplugged the power cord from the wall.
    No other wires, other than the two red wires for the pump that I carefully marked with a finepoint CD marker pen, L and R before disconnecting them from the pump and the yellow/green earth wire at the top of the pump.
    As I said, the pump works well now.

The machine turns on fine and the pump pumped 4 tanks of water through, as long as I had disconnected the element first.

Im thinking I burned the element out by leaving the power on when I first turned the machine on for 5-10 minutes, before I fixed the pump. Some steam came from the steam wand initially, but without the pump I think (in retrospect) there was not much water at all in the boiler.

Im pretty sure Im looking for an element at least, or a whole pump unit.

Ill try my multimeter though.

Thanks for replying. I was hoping to get the ideas flowing!
    Phil

DONT USE

hi phil
    looks like a saeco Bar 2000 boiler
    still available
    the element is part of the boiler top

graham

Hi Graham,
    Thanks for replying.

Quote Originally Posted by 676879010 link=1243519946/4#4 date=1244112987
    looks like a saeco Bar 2000 boiler
    still available
    the element is part of the boiler top
    I had a feeling it would have to be a Saeco boiler.
    Yes, I had thought element would be impossible to separate from the boiler.

I took the boiler out of the machine last night.
    Undid the four bolts and the boiler came apart easily enough with the gasket intact (in case all was well and I had to put it back together), but I found the element very blackened but intact, although no black deposit on the bottom of the boiler.
    There was this small pile of hardened white stuff in the middle of the boiler floor.

The boiler has a thick inside lining of what looks like aluminium. (I thought it would be all brass)

What price am I looking at for a replacement boiler? *How and where do I purchase it?

regards,
    Phil

Checked with my multimeter and found the following, so far.

Boiler element: 58.9ohms
    both thermostats: 0.2ohms
    thermofuse: 0.2ohms

Are these as they should be?

Phil

Ive fixed it! :)

I removed and took the boiler apart and removed/cleaned the accumulated scale,etc, *The element looked black, but completely intact.

Put it all back together, reseating the wiring around the pump and cleaned the power plug prongs with metal polish (looked its 18 years old).

I turned it on and it stayed on! (no safety switch turning off).

Made good espresso with even brown crema, once I adjusted the grind and tamping to suit (unpressurised filter baskets).

Loads of steam for a 150ml brass boiler, even though it doesnt use the pump for this.
    If I press the espresso button at this time, the pump turns on and I get hot water through the steam wand instead. * *

Also, unusual, it has three holes at the steam wands nozzle tip. *

Speaking of tamping, Ill need to source a nice proper fitting 53mm tamper.

Cheers,
    Phil

i have a saeco bar 2000 the boiler and portafilter look the same (except mine is not domed group)
    makes a ok coffee imo

i got my 53 mm tamper from site sponsor http://www.sibonis.com.au
    if your st clair NSW not to far a drive.......

man $5.... thats a BARGIN for such a good looking machine

thats looks like a easy refill tank etc !!!!

is the white plastic (with black rubber?) thing in the top pics the water tank connector or something?

Quote Originally Posted by 707C757878711D0 link=1243519946/8#8 date=1244667579
    i have a saeco bar 2000 the boiler and portafilter look the same (except mine is not domed group)
    makes a ok coffee imo

i got my 53 mm tamper from site sponsor http://www.sibonis.com.au
    if your st clair NSW not to far a drive.......

man $5.... thats a BARGIN for such a good looking machine

thats looks like a easy refill tank etc !!!!

is the white plastic (with black rubber?) thing in the top pics the water tank connector or something?
    Thanks *Maheel,
    My group is flat, not domed.
    Its good to know boilers are still available too. (just in case)
    Yes the machine almost looks like it came out of a box. (Used by a little old lady on Sundays, maybe :D)
    Do you like the steam wands rubber grip? (5 grommets ;D)
    Too late for the tamper though, Ive already ordered (and paid) a rosewood handle tamper from our sponsor Coffee Parts.

There is no white plastic. You might be talking about the espressos metal stem(same colour as the body, though the flash might have washed it out).
    The black (dark brown actually) thing behind hungs the back of the machine and is a cute little coffee bang for the used pucks.
    The non-ULKA pump is situated inside the stem, so its quieter than the Silvia.
    My wife hates the extra machines, but Ill hang onto to this one for a while at least.

Does your Saeco have three holes in the tip of the steam wand. *How do you get it swirling properly when the steam goes in three different directions?

regards,
    Phil

Hi Maheel,
    I just checked the Sibonis website.
    Pymble is nowhere close to me.
    You may be thinking on Point Clare.
    St Clairs out west.
    Phil

Ive solved the problem of milk texturing with the Sunbeams steam wand with the three hole nozzle.
    I temporarily swapped it with a nozzle from my disused Breville 800ES.
    No problems now! (I wonder if Breville sells the nozzle separately)

Quote Originally Posted by 3830333078214A0 link=1243519946/11#11 date=1244721504
    *(I wonder if Breville sells the nozzle separately)
    I bought a single hole nossle/steam arm tip for a Cafe Roma from a Breville agent for 0.70c, so it could be $2.10 @ 70c per hole, unless they were drilled in Italy.

Thanks for the tip Knowledgethirst ;)

I bought one of these about 15 years ago from a cash-converters for $80, it was well-used looking at the time. It was my 1st espresso machine and it's still going strong (but just recently relegated to back-up status after buying a 2nd hand BZ99). That led to the realisation that I'd have to replace my grinder (a horrible German high-speed burr thing) with a new (at the time) Sunbeam 0480.
    The only repairs I've had to make was to the "shut-off" valve on the bottom of the water tank - the old rubber washer perished and stopped sealing.
    I find I have to be careful when re-seating the tank on the base to make sure evrything lines up nicely, otherwise I start getting leaks.
    I've never really bothered with the steamer, as I already had a stove-top steamer (DMR?) which is about 10x more powerful.

Kiwinick,
    I'm always interested in espresso machines ,especially older one's.
    Whats your plans with this one,do you play to unload it to some worthy cause?
    Cheers
    Mick

Hi all, my GF just inherited one of these PC001 machines. It seems to be in unused condition, her parents bought it brand new and don't seem to have used it. I am trying to prime it but I can't work out how to do it (I have done it on newer machines plenty of times but can't figure this out)

There is no pump sound when the machine is switched on like my newer machines make, the steam wand produces steam and the pump sounds when espresso button is switched on but no water at the group head. I am trying to figure out if the pump is gone or if it just needs to be primed.

Any help appreciated.

BG

I have one exactly the same and seems to have the same problem as OP. Looks like I'll be getting to work with a screwdriver. Or more precisely, setting my wife to work on it, as she's the one with technical skills.

It comes on, makes a 'humming' sound that I take to be the pump but doesn't really do anything else.

I just love how it looks and the fact that it's quite compact certainly speaks in its favour, too.