Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aldi Lumina Signature Automatic Twin Boiler Espresso Machine - Review

Re: Aldi Lumina Signature Automatic Twin Boiler Espresso Machine - Review

Here is an image showing the leak location (taken from a video - which Icouldnt work out how to upload I had a laugh)

Looking for help please. very new to this coffee scene and purchased this machine as a entry level to start out.
    I have found this review to be a great help and informative as are many other articles on the forum.
    Very happy with the coffee being produced but finding water with the coffee pucks in the Dregs box.
    Is this normal or do I have a small leak somewhere.

Many Thanks
    Schaf

Hi Schaf and welcome.
    I noticed the dregs were sloppy with the default settings. Try moving to the settings mentioned in Andys review (highest temp, finest grind, lower dose on the small to 30ml) and see if the situation improves.
    Best of luck,
    Pete

Thanks pete, From that I gather that there is no leak but a little bit of adjusting is required.
    Thats great, my first machine and am enjoying the coffee.
    I dont know , it may taste like **** to the experts , but tastes good to me, Im happy.
    Many thanks
    Schaf

Have a $1200 Seaco Odea Go (3 yrs) but it got out of sync.
    Cant get it back in sync - even took it apart and fiddled with the micro switch. (Ne1 kno how to fix, please advise me.)
    Return to base and $44 just to look at it with a quote of probably $300 to fix....had enough of that.
    Saw this at $399 at ALDI and bought one.

So far,
    1 Lum does a good cup with little discernible difference between the 2 machines (but obviously there must be for the $900 price difference)
    2 both machines are all plastic with twin SS boilers
    3 brew group of Lum is adjustable so syncing is done by the user using a supplied wrench. Lum brew group seems simpler, rotates. Go has levers and a moving hot water inlet that makes removal of group difficult (it jams), so Go requires service at > $44.
    4 Both Auto and grind coffee.
    5 coffee adjustment basically identical for the 2 machines.
    6 Lum heavier, noisier.
    7 Lum is water fill-able leaving container in machine - Go requires removal - saves wear on the seal.
    8 internal washing of Lum seems better than Go indicated by amt of water in large drip tray. Both have a good pre-wash on start.
    9 Lum does not have so many interfering sensors - fewer to fail.
    10 Lum has aluminium coffee cup warmer, Go does not, sloping plastic top.
    11 both require descaling.
    12 Lum returnable to Aldi under warranty or in house, it seems - indicating Lum may be easier to repair. Go is not. Go parts may be swapped
    13 Lum priced cheaper due to rising $aud, Go price is up due to rising
    $aud.

Best way - Set temp to highest - Grind adj to max - use 2 short coffee button pushes. Gives min water and max coffee.

I will need to try this if more wateris wanted, I think,
    "Press and hold either the small cup button until the matching icon on the screen is flashing, then release the button
    Once the required volume of water has been delivered, press the corresponding cup button once more. Your new volume should now be set."

Hi, I bought one of these last year, well 2 actually.

Anyway I"ve noticed the steam isnt as powerful anymore and also more watery. I figure as Ive never descaled the thing, that perhaps theres scale in the elements now which is insulating the heat from getting to the water.

It has a descale button. but I dont know what to do with it as I cant find the manual. Would someone with a manual be able to tell me what the proceedure is, and should citric acid and water be fine?

Or if youre just passing through, what is the usual proceedure with descaling an auto machine with dscaling button?

Hi Atropine,
    I have just got the same descaling icon blinking.
    From the manual:
    Descaling the machine

When the ‘Descaling’ (brush) and ‘Rinse’ (droplets) icons are alternately blinking, it is time to descale the machine. You can still use the machine without activating the descaling process: the ‘Descaling’ icon will disappear after you have brewed another 10 cups.

During the descaling (or decalcification) process, calcium deposits are removed from the metal parts inside the machine. You can use a commercially available descaling agent for household products, just make sure it is recommended for use in an automatic espresso machine.

To descale (decalcify) the machine, the machine must be in ‘Coffee’ mode (the ‘Beans/ground coffee’ and ‘Temperature’ icons are displayed) and the ‘Descaling’ icon must be blinking on the liquid crystal display. Then press and hold the ‘Descaling’ button for five seconds.

Three steps for descaling:

1. For the first step in the descaling process, mix the descaling solution and water according to the instructions on the packet and fill the water tank with one litre of this solution. Place a container (of at least 1L capacity) under the hot water/steam nozzle and turn on the steam knob. The water solution will rush out from the nozzle intermittently while the ‘Descaling’ icon stops blinking and stays illuminated. When the descaling solution in the tank has been used up, the ‘Refill’ icon is illuminated and the ‘Descaling’ icon disappears.

2. For the second round of rinsing, refill the full tank with fresh water until the ‘Refill’ icon has disappeared. Wait for about 15 minutes while the ‘Rinse’ icon is blinking.

3. When the ‘Descaling’ icon is illuminated, turn on the steam knob. Again, the water will rush out from the nozzle intermittently. When all water in the tank has been used up, turn off the steam knob. The descaling process is now completed. The ‘Wait’ icon is blinking, which indicates that the machine is preheating in preparation for ‘Coffee’ mode.

Thats more involved than I thought. I dont think I would have worked it out without your kind input.

Thanks very much!

Just as an update. I followed the directions here. bought a small container of citric acid. Less than $1 I think, disolved 3 table spoons in 1.5 litres of hot water, let it cool till warm rather than hot just in case certain parts arent made to deal with direct contact with hot water.

Did the proceedure, and the water that exited machine an orange colour, yet wasnt orange when I poured it in. So citric acid works well and the machine certainly did have calcium deposits on heating elements. Machine did not show scale icon, so obviously its a timer related thing which shows after so many uses, HOWEVER you might have calcium problems before the scale icon comes up automatically, as I certainly did.

Over a year, and 900 cups later the machine is still working well, with no problems.

Hi all,
    as an update my machine finally experienced a failure. Symptom: Brewing could not occur,, as the water would flow out through the steam nozzle instead, even with the tap closed.
    Then the worst thing happened - I couldnt find the receipt to enjoy the in-home 2yr warranty!
    Anyhow, after weeks of frustrating searches, I decided to rip the thing apart.
    The machine certainly did not seem easy to disassemble, and I probably broke something in getting it open.
    Anyhow, I found the problem is a damaged o-ring in the plastic tap assembly - it looks to be ~6mm in diameter.
    My question: can anyone suggest where I could buy a relacement o-ring for this tap?
    Cheers,
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by 23362736676767530 link=1283270347/60#60 date=1319326494
    My question: can anyone suggest where I could buy a relacement o-ring for this tap?
    Bunnings sell heaps of different sizes of o-rings in the plumbing area.

Thanks Toasty,
    I bought the fix-a-tap small o ring set, but I think the smallest was proabably 7-8mm. I gave it a go anyway, but it turned into a bit of a Water Feature when it powered up. I had a laugh. :)

Pete444 guess what. EXACTLY the same fault just occured to me. Hot water comes out of the milk spout instead of going through the brew head. Did you end up fixing yours?

I still have my receipt, so I rang Tempo {I think}, and the girl asks if I still have the box and packaging, to which I reply yes. She says ok, just put the machine back in box and a startrack express courier will pick it up on Monday. I rang up on Friday.

Now you and I assumed it was in home servicing but I cant find anything that says its in home servicing. I just recall the sign at aldi saying it was in home. I attempted to find the aldi catalogue internet page which I had hoped would say in home servicing but I cant work how to do that.

Anyway I will ring up tommorow morning, and make sure it really does have to be sent to sydney. Maybe this girl is just used to the same rehearsed lines, and when my machine gets to sydney someone is going to realise it never had to leave Brisbane.

so for the purpose of completness ill add to this.

The proceedure went like this: Tempo send out labels for me to print. I have to stick 1 on box, have 1 for driver, and I keep 1 after getting driver to sign it.

Startrack express guy picks up coffee machine on 21st of November, and I hear nothing more from
    Tempo regarding if they received it or the current status of repair. I could have tracked courier delivery via startrack express website but never bothered.

Tempo never updated me at all about coffee machine, it just suddenly appeared via courier on 6th of December. So I was without coffee machine for about 2 weeks.

I would say the service was reasonable except for the lack of communication by tempo. There ofcourse is no cost to me for courier, repair, or parts.

Thats interesting, because my experience went a bit differently (although that may be because the end result was different):

I didnt have to print anything out, the courier that came to pick it up had them and left 1 for me.

Similar to you, Tempo would have had it for about a week at a guess without any communication from them.

Turns out my machine was not repairable, they called me to advise me of this and offered me a brand new machine. I asked them for a refund instead to which there was a small amount of behind the scenes deliberating. They advised me that the warranty would be reset from when I received the new machine and asked if I would still like the refund. I said yes, they took my bank account details and 2 days later I had a full refund in my account.

In the end I was pretty happy with how the whole process worked and they didnt seem to begrudge me opting for a refund at all.

Im guessing that if the machine is repairable they will do what atropine has described and if it is not they will contact you.

Wow, that is an amazing experience you had with your warranty situation. I hadnt imagined theyd even consider a refund when they had a new unit to send you, and after youve owned it for over a year [assuming you bought it when I did]

I would have loved a new machine, simply for the new 2 year warranty and hopefully the machine stays alive for another year.

With my repaired machine I guess depending on the quality something else could break , and then something else etc, simply due to its age and its dirt cheap price. I"ll hope for the best. Thanks for relating your warranty story.

Thats great news that you got the faulty machines sorted out.
    I wish I had my receipt. Did they ask you for it?
    Not sure if they would accept my one, I dont have the packaging either.

They certainly did, had to fax it to them.

Great review, I thought about getting one of these as a spare in our office as for $400 they are a steal.
    And if a Nana can use it after 15 minutes of tuition there is hope for us IT folk.

Just wanted to check, has any one found a similar machine around the same price or slightly more but with better quality/life expectancy? My folks purchased one that is just over 2 years old but giving a few issues (The grinder seems stuck on very course and setting does not change the grind, unit is leaking water onto the table from the bottom on the unit and the side door does not close without a bit of messing around after cleaning..etc..)

If this is still the best machine in this price range perhaps I’ll look at another one for them but wanted to check if there are any better options in the fully automatic machines range that I should perhaps look into as well? (Also as you know Aldi does not stock these machines so it’s a waiting game to see if/when they will sell them again which can be a little annoying when you need a replacement)

Thanks for your help and suggestions :-)

Tempo are a bunch of muppets. They have my machine for the second time in 6 months (this time for a fault that occurred last time they "fixed" it), now they tell me that this time they can't repair it (after stuffing around for 3 weeks because they're too stupid to update my address on their system properly). At least I'm getting a refund but that doesn't help me make coffee while I try and find another machine.

i liked the machine itself but Tempo are the most pathetic bunch for "customer service" that I'll not be buying any product that they support again.

Buyer beware.

Hi Andy,

I hope you can help me. I'm Anna from the Philippines and I have the same Aldi Lumina espresso machine you have written a review about. I actually bought it based on the good reviews and your thoughts were really helpful.

My problem now is for the first time, the machine is giving me an error reading. This has never happened before and I don't know if I can still find the user manual nor is the info in the CD.

We are getting pale coffee, or very watered down coffee. All the attachments are intact. Coffee dump pan is empty/clear. Bean grinder is full of beans. Water tank is full of water.... so what is wrong? The LCD display shows a triangle symbol.

Please help me... I was planning to use this machine for a business but all of a sudden this happened... I hope you can help...

Wco
    Hi Andy
    i'm Willie from the Philippines too. Just like Anna, I'm having the same problem. I already bought Descaling solution and try using it once, after all the long proceedure, all the icon are still there. Hoping you could help us on this, though the machine is still functioning well Descaling and water drops icon ang still blinking.

Hello Aldi coffee machine users,
    Great,is all I can say about these auto's,recently got one from local op' shop for $10 ,for our staff room.
    All staff no matter how clumsy can work it easily, I always give it the once over to check its operation,no problems and so easy to maintain.
    I especially like the option for ground coffee,such a range of adjustment too.
    Liked it so much I went back to the op shop and gave them another $10 donation!
    Great machine!
    Cheers
    Mick

Aldi users,
    I may have spoken too soon,I still believe this machine is great value especially in my case at $20 however,I have no steam or hot water from the wand.

When I activate the steam/water switch, I get a dull humming from the pump,thought it may have been blocked steam boiler or stuck pump!
    Cleaned both (after removing) ,reinstalled and same problem.
    Checked the voltage at pump while attempting steam/water from wand.....only getting 93volt,so may be one of the caps on the control board.
    It's a real bugger to access the control board, has anyone here ever delved into this area that could give a few clues?
    I'll keep trying and see what I can achieve.
    Cheers
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mulquemi View Post
    Great,is all I can say about these auto's,recently got one from local op' shop for $10 ,for our staff room.
    All staff no matter how clumsy can work it easily, I always give it the once over to check its operation,no problems and so easy to maintain.
    I especially like the option for ground coffee,such a range of adjustment too.
    Liked it so much I went back to the op shop and gave them another $10 donation!
    Great machine!
    Cheers
    Mick

Failed valve plunger on Aldi Signature Auto

Pete444's problem valve has happened to me as well,I had some teflon material from a dead sunbeam machine which I have machined a close fitting cap for fitting onto the end of the failed valve plunger.
    I was able to maintain the existing o ring for better sealing as well.
    Seems a common problem looking at users problems,fixed now and is such a good fit there is no leakage at all.
    This machine works tirelessly in out staff room ,pumping out the good coffee's now,just wonderful.
    Cheers,
    Mick.

Pick up and store for collection

Dear Coffee Lovers,
    Just hoping someone may be in a location in Sydney to help me with one of these machines.
    In Lakemba, NSW,
    This machine's owner is preparing to dump this shortly,I'm interested as I have a operational one working in our staff room and I would like some spare parts.
    I might even be able to get it working correctly as an extra machine,trouble is I'm here in Wodonga and the machine is at Lakemba, NSW, Australia.
    I travel is our caravan occasionally this way ,when up to visit family members in Newcastle area.
    I'm happy to pay for the machine however,storage (short term) is my problem until such times I can collect along the M2/M7 as I fly through towing my caravan.
    Is there anyone around these areas that could manage a favor for me?
    Willing to return the favor sometime as possible too.
    Any helpful options or suggestion are most welcome.
    Please get back to me and I can provide the link.
    Cheers,
    Mick
    Last edited by mulquemi; 17th January 2015 at 10:28 AM. Reason: eBay link(s) removed

Save a aldi auto from land fill

Dear coffee Lovers,
    Just adding to my post,$10.00 is all this owner want's for this "Aldi-not working auto",listed as "pick up".
    What is the general response? yes or no?
    Cheers,
    Mick.

Dear coffee lovers,
    Near Lakemba NSW,need a hand with a Aldi machine,what do you say?
    Cheers,
    Mick.

Aldi Lumina Signature Automatic Twin Boiler Espresso Machine - Review

I say let It go. It's prob not worth the drive into lakemba for someone and the postage to you.

Lukeme,
    Thanks for the advice,yes you are right,no point in chasing every ad that comes along.
    There will be other opportunities.
    Cheers,
    Mick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2