coffeesnobs BeanBay
Roasted Coffee | Green Coffee | Tea Tisanes | Cocoa Chai | Snob Wear | Behmor Roaster | & Other Stuff

Thread: Best espresso machine under $400

Best espresso machine under $400

Cafelat Coffee Tamper and Accessories
    Hi all,

Hoping you could help please. *I am a relative newbie to the world of coffee making and am wanting to buy the hubby a decent espresso machine for Christmas, preferrably under $400.

Ive done a small amount of research and have come up with a couple of recommendations. *First being the Breville Ikon (although cant find information of this on their web site) and also a couple of good Sunbeam models.

Are these good choices? *Are there any others that I should be looking into and any particular features?

Many thanks for your help.

Ginny

brett230873

Re: Best espresso machine under $400

Quote Originally Posted by 27292E2E3972707170400 link=1289415733/0#0 date=1289415733
    Hi all,

Hoping you could help please.I am a relative newbie to the world of coffee making and am wanting to buy the hubby a decent espresso machine for Christmas, preferrably under $400.

Ive done a small amount of research and have come up with a couple of recommendations.First being the Breville Ikon (although cant find information of this on their web site) and also a couple of good Sunbeam models.

Are these good choices?Are there any others that I should be looking into and any particular features?

Many thanks for your help.
    Sorry to rain on your Christmas Parade but the most important thing you could get you husband if he wants espresso coffee is a quality coffee grinder. There was a deal on Deals Direct for $479 for a suitable entry level grinder and a Sunbeam machine (google it). However, if your husband wants to become a Snob these toys will very soon be relegated to the back of the cupboard due to their shortcommings in regards to reliability and ease of use. Best bet: contact a sponsor and have a chat with a real professional as opposed to seeing the nice student at Harvey Normans who hopes one day to be a Barister.... not a Barista! ;)

Thanks for your reply...no youre not raining on my parade. Im aware I do need to purchase a grinder as well as the machine, but do have a limited budget. It will only be him using it so at this stage I am only after an entry-level model - he can look at something fancier later down the track.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the Sunbeam package, I will look into it.

Anyone else have any feedback regarding other reliable entry-level machines?

I was talking to my parents on the weekend and they are up to their third Sunbeam, the latest one bought in the last week.

I wish I had of known as I would have directed them to the Lelit.

They get their coffee ground fresh (well I hope it is, they say it is). One of the Lelit is a little over what they want to pay, $650 instead of $500, but hopefully they will no longer go through machines in such a short time (I think 3 in 5 years).

You could get a Saeco Via Venezia for around $400. Makes a decent coffee and it is a well built machine. Also if he is keen he could depressureise the portafilter that comes with the machine and buy the older style pannarello (approx. $30) to make some great microfoam.

He may need/want a proper tamper, milk jug, thermometer, tamper, knock box and of course some freshly grounded coffee if you do not buy a grinder so he can use on Christmas Day.

I hope he enjoys the journey.

Cheers

Rob

brett230873

Quote Originally Posted by 465D544550465D5C53415047350 link=1289415733/3#3 date=1289457150
    I wish I had of known as I would have directed them to the Lelit.
    The Lelit Combi would qualify him for instant snob status (providing freshly roasted beans are used) given its robust build and good conical grinder built in. The small footprint also means that you wont have to sacrifice too much bench space.
    Quote Originally Posted by 595456415A465053475050565441350 link=1289415733/4#4 date=1289477305
    You could get a Saeco Via Venezia for around $400.Makes a decent coffee and it is a well built machine.Also if he is keen he could depressureise the portafilter that comes with the machine and buy the older style pannarello (approx. $30) to make some great microfoam.

He may need/want a proper tamper, milk jug, thermometer, tamper, knock box and of course some freshly grounded coffee if you do not buy a grinder so he can use on Christmas Day.
    The Saeco is also a great machine with a SS boiler and nice small footprint. To get the best out of this machine your husband will need to modify or replace the group handle and add a quality grinder. My friends saeco machine is 10 years old and I clean it/service it for him every christmas. A great little machine but preground coffee = stale and even a Giotto ($3000) cant make that taste good.

How about contact a site sponsor and arrange a visit. Youll get great info and possibly the best coffee youve ever had without the hard sell.

Keep us posted. Too many people come to forums requesting info and then dont stick around. We love to share our caffinated journies... ! There are members here who famously roast coffee in Milo tins and others who buy quaility grinders and a plunger. Its whats in the cup that counts!

Good luck!