Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Aldi Expressi Coffee Machine Review - (Lots of pictures)

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: Aldi Expressi Coffee Machine Review - (Lots of pictures)

Oh! And I also take the machine when I go mountain biking and run it off a small camping inverter. Nothing better at the moment then getting back to the car after a 4am ride to a hot coffee...

Awesome review. If I'm ever down Vic way (from SEQLD) would love to drop by your shop Andy. Do you have a cafe in Geelong?

Anyhoo...

I own one of these notorious machines, and as I used to be a barista (back in the day when I had to work for a living), I have been quite unimpressed with the product of it. Same result as Andy. Sh1te crema, bitter as, and lukewarm at best *sigh*. Reading some of the other reviews I was surprised that people are saying its great. Mine is perhaps 4 months old. Have they changed the designed? Be surprised if so in that timeframe. By the way, please don't scold me too much for settling for an automatic machine and capsules I know, I've changed.

I've read and re-read your modification of this machine too Andy. Now as a Hydraulic and Engineering firm owner (the cafe apron was hung up years ago prior to military service I had a laugh), especially interested to see the modification of hose/fittings/pressure etc. We are modifying this machine with a small hose clamp (nothing too taxing or exxy), to provide fine adjustment, on the boiler outlet hose. Same place as Andy's wire.

It appears that this should present no problem on initial look-in. The hoses and clamps to and from the boiler will have little chance of coming off, as you can just see in Andy's pics, there is quite a decent flare on the metal inlet and outlets on the boiler. Seems like reasonable quality hose and stainless! bloody hose clamps. Not bad for a cheap machine I would think. The only thing I have yet to check out is the fitting from the pump outlet. If anything is gonna fail from this mod long term it would be the pump. The other hoses and fittings will hold for sure.

I'm aiming for a brew temp in the very high 80's degrees, so will certainly post pics and stuff as we get it done. This is just a quick preliminary post. As time permits will perhaps even put up a longer term review of how the mod holds up. Mmm... just had an interesting thought. One could call it "Hacking an Aldi product" I had a laugh God knows I've done it to my Aldi laptop. Bloody wiped the hard drive and put my own crap on there as soon as I bought it.

Anyways, thanks Andy for the idea!

More to follow....

Magic Man

PS - errrr legal stuff: use any posts by the author BigMMagicMan on this or any other website at your own risk. Get it?.. Got it?.. Goooood!

Quote Originally Posted by VeloEspresso View Post
    And I got mine last week. Getting 92 degrees from a shot, and agreed that the Expressi shots are just awful. Little weak crema, and a distinct burnt taste. Not impressed. Map pods however are actually really quite nice! And, Ive experimented over the weekend with repacking the spent pods with my own beans, and it worked perfectly. Recycling at its best!
    My wife bought the aldi machine and I was fairly satisfied with the convenience and the quality of the coffee. I am now using the map pods and can't go back to the aldi ones. The aldi pods are pretty hit and miss but mostly miss. About 1 out of 5 shots tastes really great but mostly they taste a bit stale, burnt and weak. With milk and sugar they are acceptable but the map pods wipe the floor with them. For some reason the map pods let a few grains through though.

I've just recently been experimenting with refilling the map pods. What do you find to be the best technique? I tried resealing them with foil yesterday and might try with plastic wrap today.

Thanks very much for saving me the $80+.
    It's refreshing to see a review which is so straightforward in its opinions but, I guess a little sad that the product is SO poor that it demands such a review.

Red face My aldi Machine

Quote Originally Posted by kunalraiker View Post
    I dont think that is entirely correct, at-least Ive not had the issues youve mentioned.
    Have had the machine for a couple of days now, and loving it so far
    We love our machine , find the pods great rarely miss , had ours about 6 months & use daily, also our friends ,who really know their coffee enjoy our coffee, finding it's hotter than most other expensive coffee machines,
    maybe some unhappy customers should return them for a replacement,
    Aldi always oblidge,
    Greatgran 6
    Also happy with the frothing machine, our store is always replenishing their machine & frother stock,
    Last edited by greatgran6; 21st August 2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: more to mention

OK, got some Belgian Hot Chocolate and the green box of MAP pods and have jsut used them in my Expressi

Now that you've tried the map coffee, would you stick to buying map in future or would you go back to the priced Aldi brand?

Is it that much better? They're almost double the price of expressi pods.

Everyone seems to be jumping up n down for map pods. Not sure why these ppl bought aldi machines if they didn't plan on using the compatible pods

I'm not sure it's a good idea to buy the aldi machine with the intention of only using map capsules but it does work.
    The map capsules have lots of advantages over the aldi ones. The coffee is compressed between two plastic grills so
    less likely to channel. Also the map pods give a much better crema. If you want to save money you can refill the
    map pods with some glad wrap. The map capsules pump out better coffee than my sister's $500 nespresso.

Even after all of that I still bought a breville dual boiler. It's leagues ahead but my wife doesn't know how to use it.. ie no more surprise coffees for me in the morning

I bought this machine for camping & although not as good as a proper machine, tis better than instant.
    P.S. I drink it with milk, not as an espresso

Milk frothing machine is brilliant!! At $100 cheaper than Nespresso it's a bargain!

Nice review. We have one of these in the office and agree it is a horrible machine. It makes terrible shots and constantly leaks. Can't figure out where from but it's most likely due to having never been cleaned or descaled. Even the quasi milk frother is bad. I stay well clear of it and stick to my Aeropress, or failing that, instant. That said, it probably still makes a nicer cup than the disgusting swill the old man serves at the coffee cart down the hill. :/

I use HOT water from the tap in the water tank otherwise I operate the machine as normal.

The resulting crema is almond colour and the brew has a richer taste, with a hotter 'in cup temperature' which I prefer.

This may push the water temperature up to the preferred brewing range of 90-95 degrees but I haven't actually measured it.

I've just purchased one of these machines after dissatisfaction with the Sunbeam Piccolo and Lumina Espresso machines. The first machine didn't puncture the pods sufficiently (coffee was weak) so I exchanged it for another one. I still find the pods need additional jabs with a small sharp knife. Makes reasonable coffee but still experimenting with blends.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    Milk frothing machine is brilliant!! At $100 cheaper than Nespresso it's a bargain!
    it's mechanically coupled unlike the nespresso which is magnetically coupled.

nespresso versus aldi

I will be visiting Australia from UK in April. I asked the people (family) I am visiting if they had a Nespresso machine. Obviously, 3 weeks without good coffee is not an option. Paying for 3 coffees per day in cafes is not an option either. I thought I might bring it with me - unless they already had one in which case I would just bring some capsules. They told me they all had the Aldi machine. I'd never heard of it so googled it and read this whole review. Sounds horrible. Really horrible. But wait a minute ... there also seems to be negative or neutral comments about Nespresso too? How can this be? Without doubt, Nespresso here in Europe is (to me) better than most cafés or coffee shops. The capsules are a lot cheaper here too (29p with free postage). Maybe the Nespresso capsules are different in Australia? Or am I missing the whole point? I will be bringing Nessie and Aero with me in my hand luggage. I'll politely decline the Aldi coffee.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Welcome Polarbear,

I suspect you won't find too many on this forum who rate the quality of coffee from a Nespresso (or Aldi) machine. I understand that the quality of coffee in the vast majority of cafes in the UK is very poor (I'm in the UK presently), but there are some genuinely good outlets too. I just got back from a weekend at a friend's place in Kent...and he had a Nespresso pod machine... unfortunately I struggled to drink its product...I guess it depends what you get used to. If your friends in Aus are located in any of the capital cities (or a good number of other centres), there's a good chance that there is an excellent coffee nearby.....worth the outlay of $$ to at least see what you might be missing out on. You might also find that 1 good coffee per day beats the life out of 3 ordinary ones. Any way, if you let people know roughly where you'll be staying you'll get plenty of advice...
    Cheers
    BOSW

PolarBear, for around $190 you can buy a Sunbeam Piccolo em2800 espresso machine and a SB em0480 grinder which will give you damn good coffee (using freshly roasted beans, of course). I use this set-up for holidaying, excellent value and a cheap way into espresso. Most people here have expensive machines, but don't let them put you off this budget option, I can vouch for it. Once you have mastered the arcane art of espresso (plenty of tips here), you will never go back to pod slops.

HI Andy,

I know this is flogging a dead horse, but i bought one of these machines about 14-18 months ago.

Now before anyone judges me, my purchase was made before i joined up to coffeesnobs.

My main reason for the purchase was as an alternative to the free instant coffee that the company offers.
    It also fit perfectly into my locker and it main purpose was to keep me awake on night shift.
    Everything i had from this machine was average but found it still better than instant.

Since joining this forum, The machine has sat in my locker gathering dust.
    I am now using a plunger/grinder with coffee I roast myself, This is a far better alternative.

However, getting to the point.
    The other night reading this post and ignoring your advice of tampering with it, I decided to get the machine out of my locker and play around with it.
    One i the main issues i found with mine was the temperature. i was getting 65 degrees for a shot.
    I saw what you did and throttled the flow on the pipe leading to the pod with a couple of cable ties.
    This increased my shot temp to 82-84 degrees. Still pale crema.

I still was not happy!
    I packed my own capsules, with freshly ground coffee.
    Much much better, but very time consuming.

I then found another way to increase the temperature..........
    ***PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!!!!!!******

I did this because i was not happy with this machine, boredom and i know what i am doing. Well, sometimes! (see below)

I removed the restriction from the hose and offset the thermocouple by placing a 5k ohm resistor in series.(PIC 2)
    This increased my temperature to 92-94 degrees(PIC 1), PERFECT....

However,
    I don't think the machine is designed to handle this.
    I have had two pods explode on me since i made this modification.(PIC 3)

One of them i packed, so i put this down to maybe too fine and too compacted.
    The second one was a pod i bought today for experimenting. (single origin sumatra pods).

They make a hell of a mess when they go boom, good thing I use this at work and not at home as the wife would kill me.

I Tried a higher resistor originally, but was boiling the water and the machine did not like it ( it was acting like a pressure cooker without a release valve).

Since the explosions, i have placed a 4K7 pot on the side of the machine for adjustment. (PIC 4)

Though i have improved this machine a lot, it is probably going back in my locker. I cannot get a satisfactory coffee out of these pods unless i pack my own coffee into them, and for something that is meant to be convenient that does take a bit of time.

Back to the plunger!

Cheers Glen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Sounds like an ideal craft project for a primary school class

Good story themurphs. I wish I had time to tinker with a coffee machine at work.

Good effort, love a little DIY.

Though if staying awake, no-doze are probably far more convenient...

1) Like any coffee machine you gotta learn how to drive it. Especially learn to program the shot size. Dont press the 100ml lungo button, in fact dont put any more than 40ml through a capsule.
    2) Pre-heat you cup.
    I cannot seem to program the pour size. 50ml and 100m are default. I want 40ml or even 30ml.
    My last machine (one of the originals) allowed me to hold the button in, and release when i got to 40ml(with a pod in) the new machine wont except this?
    Any pointers?
    cheers

Found a good method for refilling the aldi pods with my own coffee. Hope you can all use it. See here: http://youtu.be/G_diRXTQA48

Quote Originally Posted by hadestar View Post
    Found a good method for refilling the aldi pods with my own coffee. Hope you can all use it. See here: http://youtu.be/G_diRXTQA48
    That is a very simple solution to refilling pods.

edit: Only one post for me so far? I thought I had at least a few.
    Last edited by prozac; 26th January 2016 at 12:52 PM.

Been a few years since a post here but I bought one last week and figured it needs an update.
    Firstly the aldi pods now have a disperser on the top of them, plus the machine has now changed to a less retro design, from looking at photos it does appear the guts have changed a little.
    I pulled mine apart last night and monitored the block temperature via thermocouple while using a few pods.

Firstly the temperature control seems a bit erratic though I only had the thermocouple kapton taped to one side of the block whereas the thermistor in use (47k cold and about 9k hot) is right on the output of the block.

Flow rate to me seems too high, highest temp I saw was 77C and it would drop to 64C during a coffee pour. It appears to turn the heater on full during a pour even if it exceeds the regular temperature.
    Not happy with this I added both a hose clamp restrictor and also a 2.2k series resistor, this dropped flow to about half of regular in the rinse cycle.
    thermistor change brought idle temp up to around 86C and during a pour I saw a peak of 97C.
    Interestingly the bog standard pods taste a bit like crap after these mods, a lot of bitterness no noticeable change in crema.
    However, refilled pods are much improved (home roasted cs green beans of course)

Having issues with the refilled pods sealing, any sort of tamp (finger or back of scoop) results in zero coffee output though it does seem to be delivering some to the pod waste tray.

Went through a dozen pods trying different things, tamp amounts, coffee quantity etc, only half decent result was by rewrapping the top of the top disperser with glad wrap and trimming the underside to size, filling to the top and not tamping at all, shot is still watery in the last half though..

Research will continue..

matth3wh likes this.

Seems like a lot of effort for not much return
    Magic_Matt and level3ninja like this.

Never know unless you try.

Its convenient, fast and clean, the only thing missing is that it hardly works and is not reuseable standard.
    Aiming to fix that. I want to just refill a dozen or so pods at a tine and not think about it the rest of the week.
    I have an old sunbeam that I depressurised the basket, lucky to get a good shot in 2 out of that, its kinda annoying me.
    zeezaw likes this.

Tinkering is fun and a good way to learn how things work, nothing wrong with that.

Cheers
    zeezaw likes this.

opening the covers/casings of an aldi expressi 2011 model

Back in 2011 there was a coffesnobs post about opening the covers of an aldi expression machine. I just want to carefully clean the internals.what's the best way to open the covers and what tool will you need, as the screws at the bottom have no slots a Philips head or flat screwdriver can't really do it,.also once opened can you close it easily after with the same screws. Seems to be some kind of one way or tamper proof screws

Why do you want to clean the internals? Has something leaked? If you post a picture of the screws it should be easy to tell what type they are.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3