coffeesnobs BeanBay
Roasted Coffee | Green Coffee | Tea Tisanes | Cocoa Chai | Snob Wear | Behmor Roaster | & Other Stuff
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Aldi Expressi Coffee Machine Review - (Lots of pictures)

Blog Entries

Aldi Expressi Coffee Machine Review - (Lots of pictures)

Cafelat Coffee Tamper and Accessories
    After seeing a lot of the pre-availability marketing hype (including a very expensive glossy junkmail letterbox drop) proclaiming the $79 Aldi Expressi machine would go on sale 26th November I thought I would buy one to see what its like.

I went into a local Aldi store mid afternoon on the day of the release to find that every second person in the store had one in their trolly.

I asked a staff member how many they had sold today and he said "3 pallets full". At the time there were just another 5 boxes there so I guess they would have sold those within the hour.

After I finished roasting tonight I opened it up and asked myself...

"Can you get something drinkable out of a $79 capsule machine?"

Pictures and thoughts follow.

Blog Entries

Re: Aldi Expressi Coffee Machine Review - (Lots of pictures)

Here is the box.

Not suprisingly the large "Swiss Engineered" logo appears heavily on multiple sides of the box and in all the promotional material.
    ...the "made in China" is a little more subtle.

Blog Entries

Taking it out of the box the first impression was this looks and feels fairly well built and certainly better than I expected for the low $79 price tag.

Nice glossy cases, some stainless bits and just enough packaging to keep it safe during transport.

The few components are pretty obvious and all align and click into place pretty well.

The water tank (below) holds 1 litre.

Blog Entries

So that the machine works with short and tall cups the "height adjustable drip tray" can be used or removed as needed. Clever, simple design.

At the short height a 240ml take-away cup just fits under the spout.

With the extension ring removed a 360ml (12oz) takeawy cup fits with ease.

Blog Entries

The Expressi manual is pretty good.

It has 4 languages on each page but each only has a paragraph of content. Instead of loads of text that no one will read they have gone for lots of pictures to tell the story.

The manual also shows how to set the volume of the small and large shot buttons. Default settings are 50ml for the small and 100ml for the large cup.

Blog Entries

I was surprised by the Espressi cleaning schedule.

* Rinse once after every drink.
    * Run their detergent/cleaner through it every 10 days
    * Use their descaler once a month

Quite high considering the capsules containing the grounds are throwaway items.

Blog Entries

Expressi capsules.

Aldi obviously sell this machine cheap because you have to buy the capsules from them forever more. Nespresso did the same in the early days and then as they gained market share (or maybe when George Cluney started doing their ads) the prices of the machine slowly moved upwards.

The Expressi range has 9 different colour coded capsules in a range of coffee styles and "strengths".

I purchased 3 different ones:

* Expressi Amalfi - Lungo (long black style, default 100ml)
    * Expressi Reggio - Espresso
    * Expressi Milano - Espresso

Each box contains 16 capsules and are seemingly cheap at $5.99 each pack.

Well, they seem cheap until you calculate the amount of coffee in each.

$48.00 per kilogram - Amalfi
    $52.00 per kilogram - Regio & Milano

Thats a better kilo rate than Nespresso pods but still more expensive than BeanBay prices for fresh roasted coffee including express delivery anywhere in Australia.

Blog Entries

Its not just the expesive kilo rate of capsules that annoy me, its the obsene amount of unnecessary landfill that they use in their packaging.

First there is the glossy cardboard box (which can be recycled) and then you have the plastic capsule with a paper filter inside.

Each capsule weighs less than 1.4g but that translates to at least 7 times more waste just in plastic than using a valve foil bag to ship a kilo of coffee.

I cannot imagine how many million of these a year will endup at the tip.

Blog Entries

After a single use, the top gets 4 puncture holes and the bottom a single hole in the center.

Blog Entries

Inside you will find 7-8grams of coffee and a paper filter "welded" to the bottom of the plastic capsule.

The capsules have a slight swell before use.* I assume they are packed promptly after grinding and the degassing of the coffee causes the swell.

The grind was slightly course compared to a typical espresso grind level.

Blog Entries

At a guess, the capsules for the longer drinks have a little more coffee in them and the "stronger" ones have both robusta and are darker.*

The two espresso ones were 7.2g each and the lungo was 7.8 grams.

The "strength" that they refer to appears to be mostly the roast depth.*

You can see the colour variations of the three capsules (top to bottom) Strength 4, 9, 10

Blog Entries

While the manual warns that the temperature could be up to 90C at the spout I didnt see anything like that in testing.

Using the hot water function only produced 60C water.

Blog Entries

I managed nearly 74C with one espresso capsule and another only 68C.

These are much lower than the accepted temperature for good espresso extraction of 90C-95C.

Blog Entries

At the end of the pour, the 40ml espresso shot (above) looked like this.

I cannot ever remember seeing such a pale crema on a coffee.

...and the taste? Disgusting!

Without exaggeration this might be the single worst espresso Ive ever had the misfortune to taste. My first Expressi shot was full of char flavours followed by a cringing bitterness that made me pull some pretty odd faces.

In fact just looking at this picture 5 hours later Im still pulling similar faces as my senses recall the cruel torture (seriously!)

The lungo was not as bad. Certainly it wasnt good but it was more diluted and I only screwed-up my nose before tipping it down the sink.

I cannot imagine how much sugar and milk you would have to put into either of these to make it drinkable.

Blog Entries

So after washing out my mouth with a shot from the Giotto I thought I would try packing my own capsule.

I cut the top off a capsule, tipped-out the contents and refilled it with fresh coffee from the grinder. It failed as the Expressi machine groaned trying to push the water through.

Second attempt was after an adjustment to the grinder and this time it worked... well... coffee came out.

Blog Entries

Other problems.

The case of the Expressi only looks pretty for a minute or two. The high polish and very soft plastic case gets fine scratches as soon as its touched and the static turns it into a dust magnet.

Minor but annoying just the same - The power cord had disolved some of the sytrene packaging it was in contact with. Ive seen it before and assume some sort of petrochemical being released from the plastic plug that causes this.

Blog Entries

Conclusion:

What started out with some promise quickly turned into the worst tasting coffee ever when I actually used the machine.

Pros:
    * $79 is not much money for a coffee machine!
    * Looks neat
    * Good sized footprint for a domestic kitchen
    * 2 year warranty
    * Good manual
    * Easy to use

Cons:
    * The coffee tasted disgusting
    * 7-8 times more landfill than fresh coffee.
    * $50/kg is too expensive.
    * Coffee is too old (7 months old already).
    * Roasted, ground and packed in Germany means it will always be old
    * No option to adjust temperature or rate of pour.

Blog Entries

Recommendation:

Please try a coffee from this machine before you buy it.* If you cannot try it at your local store then feel free to call into the Snobbery and try mine.

If you are on a really tight budget and want better coffee than I could get from this machine then buy yourself a $10 plunger, a $30 grinder and some fresh coffee.* You can always upgrade later if you feel the need and have the dollars spare.
    ax72 likes this.

Wow, And I thought that the picture on the box was a graphical error, but nope, That there Espressi shot looks like a Guinness. If only it tasted like a Guinness...

Oh well, I suppose this is still better then International Roast, but even supermarket beans and a secondhand Breville/Sunbeam off ebay would be a better starter option for someone who likes "real" coffee

Out of interest, Do the pods look like they would fit the nespresso system, or are they a different shape altogether?

Andy,

Thanks for your review.

I was thinking of going for a look but I wont need to now.

I see that it says on the box:

“If you are not entirely satisfied with this product, please return it to your nearest ALDI store for a full refund or replacement.”

Are you going to return it?

Or will you keep it in the Snobbery as a decoration?

Barry.

A great review Andy.

A friend of mine tried an espresso from one in-store the other day and she said "I had the strongest one; terrible: weak, thin stuff with no crema at all".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 587561737C7D7A73556052756071140 link=1322406344/18#18 date=1322433094
    I thought that the picture on the box was a graphical error, but nope, That there Espressi shot looks like a Guinness
    Guinness isnt as bitter!
    ::)

Quote Originally Posted by 587561737C7D7A73556052756071140 link=1322406344/18#18 date=1322433094
    Do the pods look like they would fit the nespresso system, or are they a different shape altogether?
    Different shape.* Nespresso has something like 1700 patents protecting their design so even if a coffee roaster wanted to offer a local fresh version they would find themselves in court pretty quickly (just ask Sara Lee!) http://tinyurl.com/d4f5sgv

While in store a guy had a Map coffee pod and compared it to the Expressi.... they looked the same size by eye but may have a different grind or pack inside???* Map capsule machines are $300 odd and their capsules are $6.50 per 10, 70% more than the Expressi price.* I would be interested to know if the Expressi capsule works any better in a Map machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 567566666D4B50617A77757A140 link=1322406344/19#19 date=1322434905
    Are you going to return it?

Or will you keep it in the Snobbery as a decoration?
    I should return it as it certainly doesnt produce anything like a drinkable espresso but instead I think Ill keep it here as a "community service".* If I can save a couple of people from wasting $79 +coffee then its worthwhile.
    ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 407C617A707166737B70140 link=1322406344/20#20 date=1322446804
    she said "I had the strongest one; terrible: weak, thin stuff with no crema at all"
    Interesting.* Maybe the build quality of the machines make this more of a moving target? I have no problem getting "crema" but its always white and bitter and gushes out of the spout akin to the way a pressurised basket in a cheap espresso machine does.

None of the 3 different capsules I tried had any body so Im certainly with her there.

As an experiment I cut open a few capsules and tried to pull a shot in the Giotto to compare the results.* It was ground too coarse get a fair pour (4 second gusher) so I didnt include the results above.

Hi Andy,

How does the Expressi compare to a Nespresso? I think this would be the real comparison of the market that they are trying to capture. Is there a comparison of how much coffee in a nespresso etc etc?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3A2826302C490 link=1322406344/22#22 date=1322450352
    How does the Expressi compare to a Nespresso? I think this would be the real comparison of the market that they are trying to capture. Is there a comparison of how much coffee in a nespresso
    Well.. the real purpose of this thread was to review the Aldi Expressi capsule machine but...
    The Nespresso typically has slightly less coffee per shot but does brew it a little better. Having said that it also suffers from similar problems in that the coffee is roasted and ground overseas and then sent via sea container to here. It then goes into distribution warehouses and as some point goes to the stores. The whole model ensures that fresh coffee can never be bought in Australia. Maybe in Europe it hits the shelves earlier but certainly not here.

As for "the market they want to capture"... I would assume any coffee drinking market would want good tasting coffee as a minimum. If there is a market for bad coffee let me know as I sweep a lot of beans off the floor and into the bin each year.
    ;D

Every [s]sucker[/s] customer who has come in here today has had a shot out of the Expressi. The faces they have pulled are priceless!

The consensus among them has been the same all day... great looking machine, good price but woeful, bitter espresso shots.

I guess the real question is:
    What do you want from a coffee machine?

Great reviewing skills as usual Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by 1E313B265F0 link=1322406344/23#23 date=1322462434
    Every [s]sucker[/s] customer who has come in here today has had a shot out of the Expressi. The faces they have pulled are priceless!
    That tempts me to buy one. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 49666C71080 link=1322406344/23#23 date=1322462434
    As for "the market they want to capture"... I would assume any coffee drinking market would want good tasting coffee as a minimum. If there is a market for bad coffee let me know as I sweep a lot of beans off the floor and into the bin each year.

I would agree, but the perception of a good coffee by most consumers out there is anything better than instant or those coin operated coffee machines at the work places such as my work place. For the general public who are used to instant coffees, for them a nespresso is a step up. Hehe, there is a market for bad coffee...its called the instant coffee market. ;D

Blog Entries

Instant coffee is better than what I got out of this machine.
    :-[

Site Sponsor

Absolutely brilliant review Andy. I was wondering about this after seeing the it in the Aldi catalogue.

When I was working for Nestle I did a few contracts with Aldi for food products. What I can say is that they are very strict with their suppliers on quality. They audited our factories regularly, they wanted mid range quality in the products at low prices but the incentive for suppliers are that they have minimal trading term fees and a fixed price so can work out to be quite a profitable customer. They used to buy joblots of Nescafe Blend 43 and cut the guts out of it to drive traffic into their stores. It used to cause all sort of problems amongst the grocery chains.

They want to get coffee right as they know it drives traffic but they know it is difficult as brands dominate. It will be interesting to see how this goes as there is a fine line between convenience and quality in the coffee category which can be hard to get right. Consumers perseption of quality is vastly different in the supermarkets but you only have to look at the shelf space being allocated to convenience type products to know that it is a big growth area.

Out of interest how did it go with milk?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 09252C2C2F2F18252B393E2F38394A0 link=1322406344/27#27 date=1322471363
    Out of interest how did it go with milk?
    Good question.
    With milk and sugar it still sucked. ;D

Well to be fair I guess with enough milk and enough sugar it could nearly be drunk but I would seriously prefer a "white with one" instant coffee to this.

I feel sorry for the 1000s of people who bought one and will use it for the next 6 months... they really could be doing so much better with a punger, whizzy-blade grinder and some 1 week old coffee. Lower cost, better for the planet and far more interesting for their taste buds.

Today I tried some really short shots (ristretto-esk) and they were still bad. Seems that the first gush of bubbly mess that comes out of the machine contains most of the bitter white foam and it goes downhill from there.

The build quality of the machine seems good but they have missed the flavour mark by miles and I doubt their "sample group" were local.

This could be a case of the marketing team driving the project instead of the technical team?
    ::)

Well I was in the local Warrnambool Aldi yesterday and there would still be 20 plus units on the shelf. And no Im not offering to snag any :)

Nice review Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by 654A405D240 link=1322406344/26#26 date=1322469745
    Instant coffee is better than what I got out of this machine.
    :-[
    Wot, Even International Roast?

Ye gods, how can you make coffee thats worse then that stuff??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4C61756768696E67417446617465000 link=1322406344/30#30 date=1322480977
    Even International Roast?
    Maybe not International Dust... or Pablo before someone asks... but you get the idea. Customers today that tried it agreed that it was behind a well known instant 43 bean drink. ::)

Blog Entries

Today I pulled the covers off to see what the internals looked like and to see if I could adjust the pour rate or the temperature to improve the results in the cup.

First impression is this is "Swiss neat". Cable is all silicone covered and it uses quality hose fitting and water lines.

The left hand side has a nice little flow meter for the volumetric shots. It "watches" the water pass between the tank and the pump to determine when the shot is the correct volume.

There is also a very well mounted vibe pump. The pump is rubber mounted and sits on top of a spring to try and minimise the vibration and noise.

Blog Entries

The water flows out of the bottom of the tank, through the volumetric meter, into the pump and then into the "snail shell boiler".

In this picture the "water in" is cold water under pressure coming from the top of the pump in the previous picture.

The water runs into the snail and the element heats it en transit.*

The "water out" is hot water heading to the capsule.

Blog Entries

There are no simple user adjustments to this machine to control the speed of the pour or the temperature of the water.

Insert warning here

Dont do this at home, this was a lab experiment to prove that with just a little more engineering (Swiss or Aussie in this case!) the coffee quality could improve.

You will void your warranty if you open the machine.
    You could die doing this
    You could burn your house down and then electrocute your family, friends and neighbours.

JUST DONT DO IT.

Using a CoffeeSnob bag-tie the silicone line leading out from the boiler was clamped.

This causes the water to flow slower through the boiler and heat more, it also doubles the pour time of the shot.

It took a couple of adjustments to get the amount of "squeeze" right but the result was a much improved expresso.

Upside:

* The Expressi machine is now producing shots will a little colour in the crema. With adjustment I gained more than 10 degrees at the spout (87.4C) Certainly not a great tasting coffee as the capsules are always going to be stale coffee but it was a vast improvement over the factory setting.

Downside:

* it could cause the hose to burst below the clamp which would spray water over the bare live wires on the boiler. This will result in fire, electrocution and most likely death.

Please dont attempt this at home.
    Instead send an email to Expressi / K-Fee / Kruger / Aldi suggesting that they review the flow rate and temperature of the shots.

Maybe they will put one on the bench and taste the coffee before pimping them on the streets?

Youre living on the edge Freeman, Ive sent the fire brigade your way.......again ;D

They didnt need the address, said they knew it from last time ;D

Hmm, I wonder if its possible to install a small flow-restricter/tap inline between the boiler and cartridge...

Eh, like you said, not like itd improve anything

I wonder how many will return the units after theyve had it for a few days, Im pretty sure that if your unit is the same as all the other units with regards to the temperature and flow, people will be taking these back and asking for something with a bit more "cafe like coffee"

Especially if its got no easy way of heating the coffee up hot enough (people will complain more about a cold coffee then they would about a hot coffee)

Though, I wonder if the system is worth it for the chocolate pod that apparently is in the works...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2D2B3C372D2A3230590 link=1322406344/35#35 date=1322567627
    Youre living on the edge Freeman
    You mean after the amount of stale capsule coffee Ive drunk?
    ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 2D2B3C372D2A3230590 link=1322406344/35#35 date=1322567627
    They didnt need the address, said they knew it from last time
    Cheap shot (true though).* I actually think its a case of "boy who cried wolf", the local fire brigade know the smell of coffee roasting and will surely wait until the flames are 50 feet high before jumping in the truck now.
    :o

Quote Originally Posted by 64495D4F4041464F695C6E495C4D280 link=1322406344/36#36 date=1322573502
    I wonder if its possible to install a small flow-restricter/tap inline between the boiler and cartridge
    You could do that easily but it would have the same risk of fire, elecrocution and death.* It would still result in more pressure on the hose fittings than the engineers allowed for and more heat in the boiler then maybe it was designed to have.* These modifications need to be done by the factory really.

Quote Originally Posted by 64495D4F4041464F695C6E495C4D280 link=1322406344/36#36 date=1322573502
    if your unit is the same as all the other units with regards to the temperature and flow
    I also wondered if my unit was a dud but after seeing what others are producing I think it really is a basic design problem.

people will complain more about a cold coffee
    The Aldi FAQ on the machine covers that with a statement about pre-heating your cups.* I suspect they noticed that already considering the FAQ was published before the machine went on sale!

the chocolate pod that apparently is in the works...
    The hot chocolate capsule has been available in Europe for a long time.* Maybe Aldi are stringing the releases of the capsules to keep people keen?

I would expect their $20 milk frother could be the right device for hot chocolates.* You can then determine the strength, sweetness and temperature instead of being restricted to their teaspoon of choc and brew temperature.* If I can get hold of a frother Ill let you know how it goes.

I just got the below via email and moved it here to save replying to similar queries one at a time.

Hi,
    Im not a member of the Coffeesnobs site but I read your review with a great deal of surprise. My situation is that my taste is beyond drinking instant coffee (cant stomach Nescafé Blend 43, let alone International Roast) and have for some time been having Illy from a plunger, except when away from home or work of course. I bought one of the Aldi Expressi machines, the milk frother and a few varieties of the capsules on the day Aldi launched the products. I tried a sample instore and was quite happy with the taste. Today I bought a second machine to have at work. Im not overly impressed with the temperature achieved by either the coffee machine or the frother but apart from that I think they are very good for the price, and that is kind of the point of my e-mail.

Obviously you are a very discerning coffee drinker (and I dont have a problem with that) but I wonder why you thought youd get exceptional performance and taste from such underpriced products. Im under no illusion that price point always dictates quality and performance. A $2000 coffee maker combined with premium coffee beans is always going to outperform a $79 machine, a $20 frother and capsules worth $5.99 for 16.

Interestingly Ive noticed a spike in advertising for other makes of coffee machines in the last couple of days (since Aldi have been advertising their Expressi range).

Anyway I guess its a case of each to their own. Im sure many people will be delighted with the results theyre getting from their easily affordable machines and coffee refills.

Best wishes

Luke
    Thanks for the feedback Luke, Ill address your points in-line best I can.

Im not a member of the Coffeesnobs site but I read your review with a great deal of surprise.
    Im sort of surprised that you would want to read review of a product you already own but Im happy you found us.

and have for some time been having Illy from a plunger
    Which might help you like the coffee from the Expressi.* Illy espresso is quite dark, pre-ground and I think similar to the style of the Expressi Milano capsule.

Im not overly impressed with the temperature achieved by either the coffee machine or the frother but
    I guess you are talking about the drinking temperature?* My interest was more in the temperature coming from the machine as the "brew temperature" is a very important part of espresso coffee.

For way too long domestic customers have been told that 9 bar is what you need, now this machine is promoting 19 bar (more is always better in the marketing department).* The temperature of the shot is rarely mentioned but as you found it is easy to "feel" a few degrees and the results of temperature changes can be drastic on coffee flavours.

In a multi thousand dollar machine the first shot of the day while it warms-up is typically undrinkable.* Pale, colourless crema which tastes like chewing a panadol sits on top of the coffee.* A coffee that would have good body under normal situations will be thin with a lot of negative flavours when made at too low a temperature.

A well poured espresso will (by world competition standards) have a layer of hazelnut coloured crema on top, should display good body and a balance of bitterness/sweetness.*

There are also a couple of rules of thumb to good espresso (agreed, researched and written about by Dr Illy too)

90C-95C brewing temperature
    25ml-30ml in 25-30 seconds

The Expressi does not come close to any of those, it could if they wanted but it doesnt.

I wonder why you thought youd get exceptional performance and taste from such underpriced products
    Expressi coffee capsules are $48-$52/kg, that is far more than nearly every coffee roaster in Australia charges for fresh roasted coffee.* I think the coffee is very over priced.

The actual coffee machine is very well priced but it should also produce a good coffee... else whats the point!

I think with a little more care and research they could have produced much better coffee from the same machine. (see the test modification above)

A $2000 coffee maker combined with premium coffee beans is always going to outperform a $79 machine
    A $2000 coffee machine should out perform a $79 machine but the quality gap doesnt need to be as big as the price suggests.

A hotter brew temperature, a slower flow and fresher coffee would close the gap a lot.

My motivation for doing the review was curiosity.* I was curious what sort of coffee you could get from such a low priced machine.

I was honestly shocked how bad it was.

Aldi printed tonnes of glossy junk mail and it was hand delivered it into every letterbox in this area.* People that have come into my work the last couple of days tell me that they are advertising heavily on TV too.* They are spending gazillions (rough estimate) in telling people they should have this machine when for very little outlay and testing they could have had built a much better machine.

Oh, Im not an Aldi hater either (as another person suggested) .* I did a similar curiosity study on an Aldi super auto machine last year and rated it very good bang for buck.* After the review I gave it to a friend who is still using it to this day and is very happy with it.*
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1283270347

I understand you wanting to defend a purchase you just made, thats human nature and Im happy that you are enjoying the coffee from it but I still stand by my closing quote as it will produce a better coffee and you will save money...

Quote Originally Posted by 18373D20590 link=1322406344/17#17 date=1322416004
    If you are on a really tight budget and want better coffee than I could get from this machine then buy yourself a $10 plunger, a $30 grinder and some fresh coffee.* You can always upgrade later if you feel the need and have the dollars spare.
    Great coffee can be an amazing journey of discovery and learning and I hope that your Expressi machine will be a stepping stone on your way to coffee nirvana.

8-)

Comprehensive and interesting review.* Im still assessing it - hence reading your review (which probably answers your query/comment about why some other poster would bother to read a review after already having bought the machine - remember it can be returned within 60 days for a full refund).

I just poured a shot of Reggio and it was very nice.* The crema was mostly hazlenut in colour.* I also like some of the other types.* With a little sugar it was very good, and as a short machiatto even better.* I also have a Sunbeam Crema machine and burr grinder, a plunger and get coffee from Quists or Queen Vic Market coffee shop.* *On taste alone it is quite qood value. After reading your review I can only think that there must be some variation between machines.

Quote Originally Posted by 45494040434351434755434A260 link=1322406344/38#38 date=1322685748
    After reading your review I can only think that there must be some variation between machines.
    Hi coffeeweasel,

Does your crema look anything like Andys photos?* The picture alone makes me shudder on the pale coloured crema (if you can call that crema! more like sudds).* It would be good if you could take a photo of your crema in comparison.* I have seen a nespresso pull a shot with dark hazelnut crema and taste 60 to 70% to what my Giotto can pull.* I was very impressed.* It did not look anything like the Expressi crema that Andys getting.* Unfortunately if you tell me your crema looks like the ones above, Id be inclined to agree with Andys review 100%.* I couldnt bring myself to drink whats in the photos.* :o

Quote Originally Posted by 59555C5C5F5F4D5F5B495F563A0 link=1322406344/38#38 date=1322685748
    I can only think that there must be some variation between machines.
    I can only think there must be some (read huge) variation between peoples tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by 59555C5C5F5F4D5F5B495F563A0 link=1322406344/38#38 date=1322685748
    On taste alone it is quite qood value.
    It is the coffee that you are really paying for - and paying $50ish a kilo which as mentioned is more than the best fresh roasted beans around.
    I could accept on convenience alone it is quite good value for some people, but on taste... ::)

Quote Originally Posted by 2B3937213D580 link=1322406344/39#39 date=1322693959
    Quote Originally Posted by 45494040434351434755434A260 link=1322406344/38#38 date=1322685748
    After reading your review I can only think that there must be some variation between machines.
    Hi coffeeweasel,

Does your crema look anything like Andys photos?* The picture alone makes me shudder on the pale coloured crema (if you can call that crema! more like sudds).* It would be good if you could take a photo of your crema in comparison.* I have seen a nespresso pull a shot with dark hazelnut crema and taste 60 to 70% to what my Giotto can pull.* I was very impressed.* It did not look anything like the Expressi crema that Andys getting.* Unfortunately if you tell me your crema looks like the ones above, Id be inclined to agree with Andys review 100%.* I couldnt bring myself to drink whats in the photos.* :o
    Hi.* My crema was definitely darker and more hazlenut colour than the one in the photos.* His looks quite white and I imagine it would be quite bitter based on my experience, where cafes have over extracted coffee and the shot turns white/blonde, thereby drawing out the bitter part.* Will try and get a snap.

Reggio tasted pretty good to me and I believe I know what good coffee tastes like, having been to the Maling Room, St Ali, Brother Baba Budan in Melbourne, and Villino Espresso in Hobart, and used fresh beans in a burr and my proper espresso machine.* Also dont mind the Nespresso Ristretto pod coffee.* Im not saying it is as good, but in my opinion, and in the opinion of several people I watched taste it, it is good. I agree its more expensive.

So after washing out my mouth with a shot from the Giotto I thought I would try packing my own capsule.

I cut the top off a capsule, tipped-out the contents and refilled it with fresh coffee from the grinder.* It failed as the Expressi machine groaned trying to push the water through.

Second attempt was after an adjustment to the grinder and this time it worked... well... coffee came out.

Hi Andy, thanks for the review!

How do you keep the fresh ground coffee from coming out of the pod after you insert back into the machine?

Did you used few layers of glad wrap to seal it?

Very curious!* ;D

Cheers,
    OzPete

Great review Andy.

Some points that jumped out to me:

1) The cost per KG of beans is exorbitant!
    2) The amount of waste with the coffee pods. Are they recyclable? If so, the landfill problem isnt quite so bad.

Ultimately, this machine is marketed for convenience and cost per cup.

1) I know someone who owns cafes and have spent big $$$ on machines in the stores, and works with good local roasters. But she uses a Nespresso at home for sheer convenience. Modern busy life = no time to clean espresso machine or stovepot.

2) Even though youre paying $50+ per KG of beans, each cup of coffee works out to $0.38. Thats still a heck alot cheaper than $3 at the local cafe.

It is the coffee that you are really paying for - and paying $50ish a kilo which as mentioned is more than the best fresh roasted beans around.
    I could accept on convenience alone it is quite good value for some people, but on taste... ::)
    Its a value added product, its not the coffee youre paying for. Its faster to make than instant coffee, but has the ability to be off the quality of the best freshly opened vacuum sealed ground coffee.

You open a sealed ground coffee package and its only fresh for maybe amount of coffees consumed for that day, then its going stale. Pods will keep your coffee freshly vacuum sealed until seconds before you drink it.

People pay for that.

Quote Originally Posted by 27323429362F2823460 link=1322406344/44#44 date=1322732470
    Its faster to make than instant coffee

Your machine against my teaspoon any day of the week, winner takes my giotto home 8-)

I bought the frother and it does a decnt hot milk with a little froth which is acceptable for a flat white but its not very dence and the only way i know to do that is a jug/steam as my ENA5 auto setup does a poor job IMO.*

However the ENA-5 does a great grind/pour of a shot which is what i use it for daily but at $600 it was still expensive and thats before water filters too!

Now for the Aldi pods, they also fit the MAP Officeworks machine too as i brought home some pods to try in MAP machine (it does awesome manual steamed froth!).* I agree they are inferior to fresh ground coffee but as good as any pod coffee ive tried.* They are built to a price, the MAP pods are better made with more plastic in it for filtering as apposed to the paper one in the Aldi brand.

As for the coffee system as long as i know the problem i would mod my own to correct it (at that price warranty isnt a concern) but the MAP coffee makers are better IMO but also more expensive but on the plus side they dont need modding to get a decent pour.

This is my first post and i joined coffee snobs after reading this review and will order some beans to try, so keep up the good work!* Reviews like this rock & are fun to read...

Jura Fully Auto Vs Aldi Expressi
    Im new to the forum but not to coffee. I have a $2k Jura fully auto machine and for while now Ive been lugging it into work and back each week so bought the Aldi machine to leave at work. Set it up last night and was not too impressed; the coffee tasted burnt and I poured it down the sink. Thought it might be the pod type (No. 5) but* then tried a No. 8 and while better, it still had a burnt after taste.

Today I did a back-to-back test with my Jura. I opened the pod and poured the coffee into the jura and made a 40ml coffee. At the same time did it with the Aldi. There was nothing wrong with the coffee. While not wonderful, the Jura certainly gave a superior result and with no burnt after taste. I then tried the No. 8 pod and the difference wasnt so noticeable (although my taste buds were probably still recovering from the previous test).

I also noticed the Aldi machine gives a much hotter coffee than my Jura which may explain the burning. Ill be doing a few more testes this weekend but at this stage will be returning the unit.

BTW, I also have tried a few Nespressos lately and while still not as good as my Jura, its far better than the Aldi machine. Maybe thats why the Nespressos are 3x the price.

Aldi are advertising another espresso machine this week.
    IIRC $69 with a steam wand.

Odd that one persons machine gives lukewarm coffee while another machine actually burns it! Im also pleased to see you went and tried the pod grounds in the JURA, thats a comparison i wouldnt have thought to make either.

This morning i tried the Aldi pod in the MAP machine, due to the almost non existent filtering compared to the MAP pods it was HOT and TASTELESS and after reading this review i would say even BURNT. Im starting to think the PODS are to blame with almost no internal resistance they just dont impart the flavour (alas).

Im guessing reading the comments that the build quality of the machine varies but the POD quality is just plain LOW... I dont know its if its the quality of the actual coffee as much as the POD design... MAP have plastic filters top & bottom with small holes to evenly spread the hot water evenly through the POD. This also slows down the POUR and means coffees are usually even with a nice creama, not so with the ALDI (but i intend to buy some more to experiment with just for the hell of it today) but so far i am unimpressed... The JURA if set to HOT/STRONG settings gives an amazing good coffee thats both HOT and full flavoured IMO.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast