Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lentildude

Thread: Breville BES820 issues

Breville BES820 issues

Hi,
    Been working on my BES820 that ive pretty much had to rebuild when i got it. Didnt know it had had so much use but i found that out when i replaced a ton of worn out parts :P

The problem ive had for a while is that when i turn the knob to give me steam, it pumps away but no steam comes out, doesnt purge any water through the steam wand either. Some days however, it worked fine and steamed like a champ. Now i presumed it was an intermittent problem with the solenoid valve, it wasnt engaging properly or something. I ended up listening to where the valve is located on the machine and i could hear a hissing noise like escaping steam. Checked it out and the o rings between the valve and the plastic connectors to the tubing were perished.

Replaced them and it was running fine for a few days. We come to this morning when i went to make a coffee, poured the shot (still pretty poorly cos im refining my grind/tamp techniques etc, still a noob) then turned the knob to give me some steam.
    Went out of the kitchen to check something on the computer quickly whilst the wand was purging but before i made it back i hear a pretty loud BOOM come from the kitchen. Run in there and theres steam and water flying out of the machine everywhere. Quickly unplugged it, got rage at it, left it for a bit then a few hours later pulled it apart yet again.

Id like to post up a photo of what happened but cos i have less than 5 posts it wont let me post links -_-
    essentially, the thread on the plastic connector that joins onto one side of the solenoid valve (tube coming from the thermoblock) had snapped off the connector due to the massive pressure that had built up behind it.

now, i checked the directional valve and its working properly, powered the machine up to check the voltage at the solenoid and its getting 240Vac at both active and neutral with reference to the earth on the solenoid.

also pointed the tube away from me and tried to make it produce steam and it cranks it out straight away. fairly interesting blasting steam and water 5 metres across the shed over a lot of speakers and amplifiers :/ probs wont be doing that again.

from this, i can only imagine the solenoid valve is faulty and isnt switching properly. i was pretty worried that i wouldnt be able to get a spare plastic connector (the part that snapped) but it comes attached to the valve when you order it luckily.

basically, is it worth spending the 50 bucks on a new solenoid valve in the hope that it is the problem (pretty sure it is) or do you think that theres something else that may be the root of the problem?

cheers

Re: Breville BES820 issues

ive got an elec schematic @ home for this machine, and ill check but I dont think that you should be getting 240 on the neutral side of the solenoid. Can you trace the neutral wire and see if its been disconnected somewhere (with the power off and machine unplugged of course). Also look for any loose solder joints or bits of broken track on the PCB. I had to solder in a jumper wire on my old one to make the pump work due to faulty track that was stopping the pump from running.

I hope you have enough skills to be safely playing with water and electricity!

Good luck! :)

Thanks, ill check it out. Seeing as the solenoid runs ac, there should be 240v on both active and neutral when in use. Its just a coil of wire after all i suppose. I was also thinking there could be an intermittent fault on the driver board (dry joint as you mentioned perhaps) which causes the solenoid to randomely lose power.

Another thing i forgot to mention before, sometimes when trying to steam, itd pump and pump with nothing coming out and then all of a sudden just blast a ton of cold water out of the steam wand. This time however, it didnt do that and the pressure had to escape somewhere else :(

Hopefully i shouldnt kill myself from working on it, im an electronics technician :P all of my work is in tvs, amplifiers, dvd players etc. so coffee machines arent as familiar to me yet.

The idea of a neutral is that it is neutral with reference to ground ie. 0vac between neutral and ground. If you have 230 on neutral then it typically means that there is a loose connection somewhere, as it is no longer connected to 0vac.

Also in my experience the blast of cold water is typically caused by a blocked steam wand. Have you been purging it after steaming milk?

I have attached the schematic to make things easier for you.

I have just had a better look at the schematic and it would seem that the triac is switching on the neutral side of the coil. This means that it would be normal to see 230ac on the neutral side of the solenoid when it is not in operation. As a sparky we never switch the neutral, so that was why I had the reaction I did on hearing about 230vac on it.

I wonder if you have a similar fault on yours as I did on mine. I just tested continuity on all of the tracks and components for the pump switching (or in your case solenoid) cct and found a corroded track that was causing the intermittent fault between the resistor and the base of the triac. Soldering a simple jumper wire on it did the trick!

These PCBs cause a lot of trouble on these machines!

thanks for the info man, been checking it out over the past few days.
    tested the neutral side of the solenoid when set to the steam function and it drops to around 25V. returns to 240V quickly when steam function is turned off so it seems ok. ive checked the power pcb for any track corrosion or damage but its all ok, all components have good solder joints (but i redid them anyway).
    i tested both triacs and the surrounding resistors and they all measure fine, the opto that drives the dump output (solenoid neutral) also tested ok, as far as i can test it without ammeters and transfer ratios etc. etc.
    of course, testing passively vs testing when powered is different but im fairly certain that everythings running ok.

at this stage i reckon buying a new solenoid would be the way forward. pity theyre so damn expensive, $80 in fact from bigwarehouse spares, luckily its an aussie company with free shipping and should get here within a day or two. the other alternative is ereplacementparts.com in america which ive purchased from before. the solenoid is $53 with about $15 shipping so id save a bit of money but have to wait ages for it, and i want my coffee machine back soon.
    do you happen to know of any other places that have breville spare parts like this? ive looked around but havent been able to find anywhere else.

nah. im in NZ and we have bugger all down here. good luck with the search!

got the new solenoid in tonight and its all working like a dream :D
    when you shut the steam down it doesnt madly spew steam out of the base anymore and its purging far, far less water after pouring shots and steaming. i used to have to empty the drip tray after about 3-4 coffees, now just did 2 coffees and its barely got any water in it.

actually tried putting it in last night after work because it arrived that morning, was a bad idea though. was far too cold to be outside and i had no concentration. as a result i somehow managed to connect the mains active lead to the mains neutral connector on the control board, and neutral to active -.-
    safe to say, the main house fuse didnt like that very much. changing a fuse wire in near freezing temperature wasnt my idea of fun.

ill chuck some photos up of how its looking currently after this post cos ill finally have 5 posts and will be able to put photos up.

new one installed. as you can see its been supplied with the upgraded metal connectors to the water lines. wasnt expecting that as the photo on the website showed plastic connectors.
    no complaints though, theyre worth about $8 each those metal connectors.

this is what happened when it want bang the first time

how the beast sits currently. also rebuilt the direction valve so its a lot smoother when switching steam and hot water on and off.
    the pump was replaced along with the safety valve as the first repair i did on it, still working well.

other work includes new group head seal, blue led conversion in front buttons (looks sick you should all do it) and infrared led conversion on water level led, full service and flush and probably some other things i forgot.

now all that remains is to get unpressurised baskets, a decent tamper, mod my bcg450 grinder and start refining my techniques cos the shots are still pouring way too fast.

well, the machine's at its end, and i'm at my end with Breville products. after replacing the pump and safety valve assembly ages ago, which i detailed in my very first post, the exact same thing has happened.

was pulling a shot, within normal pressure, went pop and i lost all pressure. upon inspection, the threaded end that connects the safety valve to the pump has snapped. AGAIN.
    this is what it did the first time i fixed it and i have literally no idea why it's happened again. i would've thought the safety valve was there to prevent things like this from happening but i guess i was wrong. i'm not going to fix it again and i'm never going to buy another Breville product.

now i'm in the market for something a bit better, not sure what yet. if you have any suggestions, throw them up.

Since you know the problem, i would fix it again, then sell it as a working machine to help fund your next machine.
    My choice would be a used HX (NS Oscar etc) , Silvia, LeLit or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    Since you know the problem, i would fix it again, then sell it as a working machine to help fund your next machine.
    My choice would be a used HX (NS Oscar etc) , Silvia, LeLit or similar.
    yes that's an option i suppose, it's just that it's happened twice now for no apparent reason. if i was to repair it again and sell it, there's the chance that it'll just break again and the person i sold it to will get angry. if i just sell it with the double wall baskets and standard tamper chances are they wont be getting enough pressure anyway to do damage.

after reading many other threads here the silvia looks like a good option, watching a few on ebay now. i dont have a large budget so hopefully i can find something that suits.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    well, the machine's at its end, and i'm at my end with Breville products. after replacing the pump and safety valve assembly ages ago, which i detailed in my very first post, the exact same thing has happened.

was pulling a shot, within normal pressure, went pop and i lost all pressure. upon inspection, the threaded end that connects the safety valve to the pump has snapped. AGAIN.
    this is what it did the first time i fixed it and i have literally no idea why it's happened again. i would've thought the safety valve was there to prevent things like this from happening but i guess i was wrong. i'm not going to fix it again and i'm never going to buy another Breville product.

now i'm in the market for something a bit better, not sure what yet. if you have any suggestions, throw them up.
    Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...

I've had a BES820 for the last (nearly) 2 years. About a year ago it had problems with the steam/hot water valve, and had to be repaired. They said it had plastic parts in it that were a known issue and replaced them with metal ones. A couple of weeks ago, while steaming milk, the pressured started dying off until it went BANG, steam spurting out from all directions etc etc... sounds much like what happened to yours.

So... still under warranty, back to the shop it went. They replaced it with a brand new BES840 - the new "Infuser" model.

It looks very similar - but it's not.

First up, admittedly, it does have a little problem which I'm sure is completely coincidental, in that the steam auto-purge isn't working properly... and I'm getting a replacement unit as a result. But that's an odd electronics fault and could happen to anything.

As to the machine itself, it has a thermocoil heater, rather than thermoblock. It heats MUCH better than the BES820 ever did, the steam is so much stronger, it froths beautifully, the espresso is much better quality. You can hear the pump sounds much more solid - and the feel of the steam/hot water valve is TOTALLY different. The other one felt cheap and nasty in comparison. This one is very light and smooth and feels like it would last forever. All in all, it's just a totally different machine.

I am VERY happy with it (apart from the auto-purge niggle).

Perhaps it's worth looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by giesse View Post
    Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...

I've had a BES820 for the last (nearly) 2 years. About a year ago it had problems with the steam/hot water valve, and had to be repaired. They said it had plastic parts in it that were a known issue and replaced them with metal ones. A couple of weeks ago, while steaming milk, the pressured started dying off until it went BANG, steam spurting out from all directions etc etc... sounds much like what happened to yours.

So... still under warranty, back to the shop it went. They replaced it with a brand new BES840 - the new "Infuser" model.

It looks very similar - but it's not.

First up, admittedly, it does have a little problem which I'm sure is completely coincidental, in that the steam auto-purge isn't working properly... and I'm getting a replacement unit as a result. But that's an odd electronics fault and could happen to anything.

As to the machine itself, it has a thermocoil heater, rather than thermoblock. It heats MUCH better than the BES820 ever did, the steam is so much stronger, it froths beautifully, the espresso is much better quality. You can hear the pump sounds much more solid - and the feel of the steam/hot water valve is TOTALLY different. The other one felt cheap and nasty in comparison. This one is very light and smooth and feels like it would last forever. All in all, it's just a totally different machine.

I am VERY happy with it (apart from the auto-purge niggle).

Perhaps it's worth looking at?
    that problem with the plastic parts that broke on yours was what went wrong the second time with mine. it was actually the reason this thread was started :P
    it's the solenoid that controls water flow between the block and the steam diverter valve. the plastic connector snapped at the base of the thread, i replaced the solenoid and if you look about 3 posts below this you can see a picture of it. see the silver metal connectors with water lines running from them? that's the metal parts that they were talking about. so in that respect, that function of my machine is in perfect working order. the problem i have now is to do with the pump and it's valve system.

i know what you mean about the cheap feel/sound of the BES820, always seems like it's on the verge of breaking or shaking itself apart. steaming takes ages and i was never happy with its performance really.

i was considering a higher end Breville machine, and i'll get warranty and extended warranty on it if i do buy one which is something that needs considering. that 840 of yours sounds ok, i might check it out, thanks. for now though it's looking like a Silvia, there's a good one on ebay currently that i've got a keen eye on.

A plastic fitting snapping at the base of the thread...

Wasn't over-tightened was it?

I've had my 820 for a couple of years now, and apart from the pressure guage failing some time ago, I've had no major problems. Certainly things I don't like about it (noisy, slow, inconsistency, no three-way valve). Sounds like the 840 goes a way to fixing those.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJack View Post
    A plastic fitting snapping at the base of the thread...

Wasn't over-tightened was it?

I've had my 820 for a couple of years now, and apart from the pressure guage failing some time ago, I've had no major problems. Certainly things I don't like about it (noisy, slow, inconsistency, no three-way valve). Sounds like the 840 goes a way to fixing those.
    nope wasn't overtightened, i'd never even touched it before. you can see the discolouration of the thread, where it's all brown. it was really brittle there which is probably why it went.

Well due to the fact that i'm a poor and cheap apprentice, and after much deliberation, i've decided to save my tax return and bring the BES820 back to life to fight another day.

What i plan on doing is replacing the old broken valve with an Expobar OPV. I read a blog about the same Expobar OPV being fitted to a BES900 and the 820 uses the same thread and hose sizes so it'll be a fairly straightforward process. I'll try and buy all the fittings and hose clamps i need tomorrow and i'll be calling a parts supplier in Victoria who sells the OPV and get one posted to me. The most difficult part i think will be making it fit inside the machine. There's not a lot of room but i should be able to do it.

I'll probably post up a guide on how to install the OPV because i've seen a bit of interest on the forum on modifying cheap machines to make them better so it might help some people out.

Finally got the OPV in, had to get some custom fittings for it to all work, O-ring's are a bit off size and leak a bit so that's what i need to resolve next.

here's a photo of it installed:

I only had time/motivation to do one coffee tonight and it under extracted like crazy. Had my BCG450 (modded) grinding at 1 click past Turkish because that's where it was ok before and i tamped it pretty hard and the coffee just flowed straight out. Of course, my pressure gauge moved about halfway up into the under extraction zone (to be expected as it's running 9 bar or so), but i didn't expect the coffee to flow so easily.

I guess i'll just need to grind much finer now and tamp much harder to get the results i want. I also want a proper pressure gauge that gives me numbers so i can set the OPV to the proper pressure (not sure what it's at now, i guessed 9-10 bar).

And by far, the worst problem i have now, is that the steam is incredibly weak. Can barely even push the milk around the jug now and it makes terrible foam. This problem was a pressing matter the whole time i was installing the valve and i guess there's no way around it. Does anybody know of a way that i could possibly get my old steam pressure back?

It's no fun at all, it was originally fairly mediocre steam so now it's just plain bad.

Hello Gentlemen,
    i thank you all for this amazing post as i have searched the web for long time for issues and problems with my Breville BES820 now i know that i have reached the best place to discuss this issue.
    it appears that my Breville machine will not push water through the coffee handle, it will steam and push water through both left and right nozzles (Stream and hot water).
    i have disassembled the unit and checked many of the parts to see the correct flow of water and electrical behaviour (I am an Electrical Eng.) and i am pretty sure that i need to replace the MAGNETIC VALVE ASSEMBLY appearing in the service manual as part number "BES820/198" - it is the same one that appears in the photo above (my machine is 220V). the valve will not switch to flow the water through the Coffee handle, only through the water dump to the tray.

my question is: where can i buy this magnetic valve suitable for 220V? and what should be the estimated cost?

thank you for your reply, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by ayosifon View Post
    Hello Gentlemen,
    i thank you all for this amazing post as i have searched the web for long time for issues and problems with my Breville BES820 now i know that i have reached the best place to discuss this issue.
    it appears that my Breville machine will not push water through the coffee handle, it will steam and push water through both left and right nozzles (Stream and hot water).
    i have disassembled the unit and checked many of the parts to see the correct flow of water and electrical behaviour (I am an Electrical Eng.) and i am pretty sure that i need to replace the MAGNETIC VALVE ASSEMBLY appearing in the service manual as part number "BES820/198" - it is the same one that appears in the photo above (my machine is 220V). the valve will not switch to flow the water through the Coffee handle, only through the water dump to the tray.

my question is: where can i buy this magnetic valve suitable for 220V? and what should be the estimated cost?

thank you for your reply, much appreciated!
    g'day, i too had trouble finding anything out about this machine. kind of had to make some guesses along the way and hope it worked.

i got the magnetic valve assembly from a website called Big Warehouse Spares, here is the direct link: BigWarehouse BREVILLE Espresso Coffee BES820 Appliance Spare Parts

as you can see, it's not cheap at like $80 for the valve, but i believe shipping to anywhere in Australia is free.

be 100% sure that the electronics that control the valve are working correctly before you order it. a couple of posts below contains details about what the valve should be doing and when it should be doing it. if you can confirm that everything is as normal then go ahead and order it. it sounds like you've thoroughly checked everything out anyway.

I have a broken output connector on the orange pressure relief valve on the left hand end of the pump.
    Two questions, can someone please help?
    How do you get the pump out? I have only removed the back so far and can't see how to go further.
    And where can I get a new relief valve assembly?
    Breville couldn't help me, the nearest service centre they could give me was over 250km away.

many thanks
    Gilbert Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by vk3cq View Post
    I have a broken output connector on the orange pressure relief valve on the left hand end of the pump.
    Two questions, can someone please help?
    How do you get the pump out? I have only removed the back so far and can't see how to go further.
    And where can I get a new relief valve assembly?
    Breville couldn't help me, the nearest service centre they could give me was over 250km away.

many thanks
    Gilbert Griffith
    sorry mate, i haven't checked this thread in ages, hopefully you're still around. i'll send this to your inbox too so you might see it there.

to get the pump out, it'd make it easier to take the top off the machine. to do this just push the top cover forward, from the back of the machine, then lift it up and it'll come off. once you have the internals exposed it's far easier to work on.
    being that your safety valve has broken that makes life easier in terms of disconnecting it from the pump as it's already done. all you need to do now is disconnect the water inlet tube from the other side of the pump, disconnect the wiring and remove the thermal fuse then remove it. just bend the rubber pump mounts away from the pump and it'll come out pretty easily.

in terms of getting a new safety valve, breville don't make the safety valve anymore as far as i know and the usual spare part suppliers don't have them in stock either. the best idea would be to ring some service centres and inquire as to if they have any of them left in stock and if they could post it to you. it's only small and light so postage wouldn't cost much. alternatively, you can install an OPV like i did. i did this mainly because of the problem you're now facing, not being able to get the safety valve anymore, also because it's a rubbish design and i wanted it to be reliable.

Breville don't make the safety valve anymore? That's pretty average, given the product is only a few years old.

not as far as i can tell, i haven't researched it much lately. i remember visiting a repair shop in Penrith once about 2 years ago and they had them in stock but wanted an arm and a leg for it.

the BES820 is about 6 years old now, that's very old in the world of consumer appliances. i work in the electronics industry, specialising in appliances and brown goods (entertainment equipment) and 5-6 years is absolutely pushing it for product longevity in those fields.
    in the future years, that figure will decline to 2-3 then 1-2 years i am assuming. LCD and plasma TV's that were made in 2006-2007 are at the end of their service life, with only a select few best selling models still having spare parts support from the manufacturer. most companies will stop producing parts for machines that didn't perform too well on the market as it's futile to continue supporting these machines when they hold such a small place in the consumer world.
    i recently needed a part for a Panasonic bluray recorder, 500GB HDD, twin tuner, all the features you'd need. it was about 20 months old and Panasonic didn't have the parts for it anymore. it was a $1200 machine when it was new, not really sure why they didn't have the parts for it, i can only figure it was because they released a revised version of it within a few months of it's release that was a better seller so they focused their after sales support on that one instead.

not that i was complaining though, as an extended warranty job that i couldn't fix as the part wasn't available, the customer had it replaced. i'm then free to do what i want with the old one so i just took it home. it had a problem with timer recording on two channels and i'd never use that so for me it's perfect. i like my job sometimes :P

noidle22, did you get around to doing your guide on installing the OPV? Looks like something I'll end up having a crack at. The safety valve assembly blew one of the connectors, as you know from another thread, and I'm thinking if I can improve the machine while it's in pieces, I may as well give it a go. Then maybe I'll have the wife off my back about not having her morning coffee!

Anbody know where I can buy a two cup shot pourer/handle for this machine, only came with a one cup maker. thanks..

I assume you are talking about the portafilter? Seems odd, I didn't think they came in a single pour style. The standard ones are available on ebay or online appliance parts stores but they're about $80-$100. A cheaper option is to buy the portafilter to suit the Cafe Roma machines, they are only about $40. The difference in price is because the Roma portafilter is a much cheaper (in terms of quality) part.
    It's only made of aluminium or some other light metal and doesn't have a filter basket retainer ring, rather a small plastic catch that slides over the edge of the basket to stop it falling out. The handle itself is cheap plastic. The other alternative is to browse ebay/gumtree for someone selling a broken or cheap 800 series machine with the portafilter.

If you meant the filter baskets themselves, you can buy them easily on ebay.

(Thanks noide22 for info on Roma portafilter.. Will have to read about pressurized vs unpressurised .Didnt mean to change forum topic)

Just while on the technical side/repair of this machine does anyone have links to service manual for the bes820? Schematic or even the user manual.
    I have just bought a machine from Ebay that may have an issue with steam light not coming on even though there is steam. Want to check it out/clean properly before using. thanks
    paul1993 likes this.

Hi,

I'm new here. Have tried the search, this is the closest to my problem.

I bought a used BES820 for $20 on gumtree. The owner said that the steam doesn't always work.
    I took it appart and here is what I could find:

The case of machine has lots of corrosion in the lower half. the wires look fine (pulled them of and put them on again. Seem to have good contact). The area around the chip seems like it hasn't got wet.

The steam works right after turning the machine on. The swich does the 'click' and the lights change.
    However, if the machine has been on for a while it still clicks ets but there is no steam (the pump won't start).

I also reset the program function. If I pour a shot (single or double) water starts running through for aprox. 3sec then there is a break in that you can hear the 'ts-ts-ts' of the pump (?) and then water runs for another 4secs. Is that normal? the manual pouring works.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong with it?

I am not an electrician (though I'd say, I can repair it if it's not too much)...
    I am not planning on rebuilding it or spending much money on it either...

I just thought that if it is a small part or some cleaning in the right place I'd give it a go...

Thank you,

Paul

820 help please just dumps water

My 820 died today!! You turn on the mains and the pump just runs non stop draining the clear tank and dumping it into bottom tray via that side clear tube drain (that I never really noticed before).

I have opened it up .. what do I look for first - nothing visually obvious so far..

Quote Originally Posted by lentildude View Post
    My 820 died today!! You turn on the mains and the pump just runs non stop draining the clear tank and dumping it into bottom tray via that side clear tube drain (that I never really noticed before).

I have opened it up .. what do I look for first - nothing visually obvious so far..

ok noone replied so I went ahead anyway looking for anything obvious, bad connectors etc.. Gave the main red solenoid a few taps with a screwdriver, fiddled with the white plastic round thing with connector on top. I assume this is some sort of pressure switch.

I have it partially working.. ie It actually stopped pumping water after a long while and then I could go ahead and make a coffee.. but every few seconds the pump tries to run byitself then stops.. I assume there is a pressure switch or water level switch somewhere that needs replacing?? Perhaps someone experienced servicing the unit can give me a hint...

Sorry for not replying, was at work. The white plastic round thing is the flowmeter and is used to control the shot volumes, it should not be the problem.
    The solenoid also wouldn't be the problem. I suspect it's a problem on the circuit board that is telling the pump to operate when it isn't meant to.

The capacitors have been problematic on these but mainly cause other problems. There is a triac that controls the pump i think, that might be the problem. I would suggest a circuit board replacement unless you want to keep replacing components until it works. If you're not skilled with soldering then I would advise against it.
    I can check and see if Breville still sell the boards tomorrow, chances are they don't supply them anymore though.

thanks for the comment. My next step would be to get the board out and look for dry joints I guess.. Is there a circuit diagram posted someplace? If you know the triac part number will order one first to replace it anyway.

cheers!

Safety Valve replacement for Breville BES820

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    Sorry for not replying, was at work. The white plastic round thing is the flowmeter and is used to control the shot volumes, it should not be the problem.
    The solenoid also wouldn't be the problem. I suspect it's a problem on the circuit board that is telling the pump to operate when it isn't meant to.

The capacitors have been problematic on these but mainly cause other problems. There is a triac that controls the pump i think, that might be the problem. I would suggest a circuit board replacement unless you want to keep replacing components until it works. If you're not skilled with soldering then I would advise against it.
    I can check and see if Breville still sell the boards tomorrow, chances are they don't supply them anymore though.

thanks for all the posts I have the solenoid (safety valve) out of my machine I'm just looking for a place to buy this part including metal ends as mentioned previously.

thansk again for any assistance.

Hi guys, got a non working BS820 off gumtree, and it dosent work.

Switch unit on, press power, sucks water into coil, and then just keeps flashing power. Seems to generate no heat, wondering if there is a simple way to reset this, if anyone else has had a similar problem??

Also, this is my first post, seems like a great forum here.

**UPDATE**

This morning I switched my machine on, hoping for a miracle. IT CAME!! It heated up and all lights were on and steady. Pressed single and double and out they came. Switched it over to steam and the steam light flashed. Wouldn't heat.

Turned machine on and off again, and then went back to original problem as discussed above. No heating, only power light flashing. At least this means the thermoblock is still working. Any suggestions?

I believe another user has had a problem with the 2 electrolytic capacitors on the circuit board playing up causing similar problems. They might need to be replaced.

Another problem that the 800ES suffered from a lot was a polyester film capacitor on the circuit board also causing intermittent power problems. I think the 820 uses the same capacitor so it could also be the problem. It looks like a fairly large (in comparison to the total size of the PCB) yellow box.

If it's neither of these, it could be a relay or perhaps the control triac. It's pretty fiddly work so unless you have patience and experience with soldering it might be more economic to just replace the circuit board.

Thanks heaps nodie, will see if i can find the post. I remember someone talking about it.

Any idea how i remove the PCB board. Ive unscrewed the top screw from the clear case its in, and the two that join the plastic wall to the metal chassie on the right hand side (looking from the pack). The pcb just seems to pivot from where the lower, closer to the rear screw was..

I am following the thread in the hope someone posts a circuit diagram of that board. Perhaps someone can post the values of the caps and triac and equiv part numbers at say jaycar. I plan on keeping this machine for many years to come!

Hi, first post

I have just brought a used Breville BES820 for $50 off gumtree. Brews coffee pretty good (Upgraded from a Cafe Roma as the steamer stopped) everything on it works such as warming plate, Gage, hot water, steamer and brews as it should. The issue I am havving is with the 2 cup button doesnt alsways work (Not too Fussed with this issue) however once you brew coffee and then use the steamer to warm/froth the milk, when you turn the knob/dail back to the center position, the pump starts pumping for about 3-5 secs and empty a fair bit of water in to the drip tray. about 1 cup or so. Any ideas??

Hi Dave, the purge after steaming is normal. It removes the steam from the thermoblock and brings it back down to brew temperature. This way, you can pull another shot immediately whereas with other thermoblock machines you need to manually purge them back down to temperature.

As you have noticed, the unfortunate byproduct of this process is that it dumps a lot of water. Nothing you can do about it unfortunately.

Regarding the non-working switch, the tact switches commonly fail in the buttons, it should just be a matter of replacing the switch. The button assembly is easily removed from the front panel then just match up the switch dimensions with a new switch, available on RS Components.

Hi noidle, sorry to hassle you/resurrect this ancient thread once again but I am hoping you could point me towards where you bought the metal water valve assembly (I assume this is the Expobar OPV, but I am pretty much tool-illiterate so please correct me if wrong) to replace the broken orange plastic one? Mine has snapped off at the connection to the pump like yours did (the piece looks a bit like a cheap piece of crap TBH). Alternatively... given my lack of proficiency with mechanical bits... do you reckon it could be epoxied back together perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by cprids View Post
    Hi noidle, sorry to hassle you/resurrect this ancient thread once again but I am hoping you could point me towards where you bought the metal water valve assembly (I assume this is the Expobar OPV, but I am pretty much tool-illiterate so please correct me if wrong) to replace the broken orange plastic one? Mine has snapped off at the connection to the pump like yours did (the piece looks a bit like a cheap piece of crap TBH). Alternatively... given my lack of proficiency with mechanical bits... do you reckon it could be epoxied back together perhaps?
    I got mine from Big Warehouse, and there's a link further up the thread, but I think it's this one.

Hope this helps. I might be buying another soon if the problem Ive just started having proves to be the valve again.

Sorry I totally missed that post.

Breville released an upgrade kit for the broken valve that they fit to the newer model BES820 and 800ES machines. It does require adaptation to the thermoblock but it's easy.
    The brass fitting in the thermoblock needs to be removed and replaced with the steel one, same ones as used on the solenoid actually.
    A new valve in the pump and a new water tube between the two and it's done.

Message me if you want more info.

Rbn
    Just reading through as I was wondering if this model would be an improvement on my Sunbeam EM 4800c. It seems not.

Too many reliability issues.

Physically it would fit in my campervan with the controls being on the correct side (right) for me, as it sits right beside a wall.
    Hence my 6910 will not fit, I cant turn the steam knob.
    Last edited by rawill; 28th August 2017 at 02:21 PM.