coffeesnobs BeanBay
Roasted Coffee | Green Coffee | Tea Tisanes | Cocoa Chai | Snob Wear | Behmor Roaster | & Other Stuff

Thread: Via venezia leaking pressure?

Via venezia leaking pressure?

Cafelat Coffee Tamper and Accessories
    Hi all, I have a saeco via venezia , and when the steam comes up to temperature the machine is still hissing for a while , like leaking pressure out of the group head. I have attached a video after 1.00min , you can hear the hissing sound..

its only 2 months old and have descaled the machine so thats not the issue.. any help will be appreciated..

thanks.

VIDEO0037 - YouTube

Hi there.
    My via Venezia does the same thing. Although, it's a few years old now and I don't think it does it as bad anymore....probably less pressure. It was only a drip or dribble though.....so anymore and it would maybe be a worry?
    cheers
    Link

p.s- just watched your clip. I don't remember mine being that bad. I always still have the handle on, and there's a fair bit of water in there after steaming, but it doesn't splutter and steam like that with it on.
    Last edited by daledugahole; 11th July 2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Watched clip

Quote Originally Posted by daledugahole View Post
    Hi there.
    My via Venezia does the same thing. Although, it's a few years old now and I don't think it does it as bad anymore....probably less pressure. It was only a drip or dribble though.....so anymore and it would maybe be a worry?
    cheers
    Link

p.s- just watched your clip. I don't remember mine being that bad. I always still have the handle on, and there's a fair bit of water in there after steaming, but it doesn't splutter and steam like that with it on.
    yea it never use to do that it's quite strange. its like some valve is stuck open instead of being closed after letting some steam and water out....
    I opened the top up for the first time... had no clue what i was looking for I had a laugh.... hopefully an expert will show the way

If the machine is only 2 months old it should be under warranty. If you disassemble yourself it will void the warranty.
    Having said that the comment below was in reference to a similar query to yours a while back. Might help to give you an idea of what could be occurring-

"The Saeco Via Venezia does leak a little water from the group head as it heats up to steam temp as mentioned by others. If it is excessive you can try to remove and clean the area around the mushroom valve which sits above the shower screen screw. The link below has a parts diagram for a Starbucks Barista which is a rebadged Saeco Via Venezia for the USA market. There are also photos of the parts further down the page.

Saeco Espresso Machines, Parts for Saeco and Starbucks espresso machine

Refer to Drawing 2. Remove the Shower Screen screw (No. 48) and Shower Screen (No. 47). Then use a fairly thick tip flat blade screw driver to unscrew the mushroom valve holder (No. 45), which the Shower Screen screw came out of. If you use the wrong size screwdriver you can damage this part so be careful, it should fit snugly. Once it comes loose take care not to lose the spring (No. 44) and mushroom valve (No. 42) which fit above it. When these are removed, flush some water through by pressing the brew button. Check the mushroom valve isn't damaged before replacing.

If it still leaks after reassembling you can then try to stretch the spring a tiny bit to increase pressure on the mushroom valve but don't over do it. If this doesn't work you may need to replace the mushroom valve and spring.

Pressure building up excessively in the portafilter due to grinding too fine, may cause back-pressure that forces very fine particles into the area behind the Shower Screen and possibly near the mushroom valve. Always a good idea to flush through after brewing as well as removing the shower screen and cleaning behind it every now and then."

Forgot to ask in my earlier reply whether you prime the boiler when you first switch on the Via Venezia? With no other buttons pressed in, open the steam knob and run 1/2 cup or so of water through until there is a steady stream with no air "gulps". This will ensure you have a full boiler when you heat up to brew.

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    Forgot to ask in my earlier reply whether you prime the boiler when you first switch on the Via Venezia? With no other buttons pressed in, open the steam knob and run 1/2 cup or so of water through until there is a steady stream with no air "gulps". This will ensure you have a full boiler when you heat up to brew.
    Yep I prime the boiler as soon as I turn it on just like how you said.. Thanks for the comprehensive answer on how to fix the problem, will have to give it a go today

on a side note i think i followed your instructions before and installed the breville wand on it (makes great foam like the cafes ) and received my bottomless about a week ago, still getting used to it. quite a bit of fun .

The flow through the Via Venezia shower screen can be effected by the tightness of the shower screen screw. Try running water through the screen once you've re-assembled and if its not an even flow, loosen or tighten the screw a little to get an even flow pattern. Don't forget to check out temperature surfing once you're fully up and running. Makes a big difference with the Via Venezia due to the stainless boiler. It heats quickly but also cools quicker than a brass boiler.

Due to the small boiler its not a bad idea to re-prime if you brew first then steam. Doesn't take long and heats back up quickly. Just gives that extra little bit of protection for the heating element I feel.

Thanks for the tips CafeLotta, i've made the shower screen less tight and the water flow looks more evenly distributed.

and with the original problem , I managed to take out the screw that had that spring in it. Looked clean , and I had put it back in. Had a feeling it may have come loose as it is now running like normal again , thanks heaps !

Good to here your Via Venezia is back to peak service again! Hope you have heaps of fun experimenting with getting the best out of it.

P.S. Just remembered that when I was experimenting with mine, I found out that in earlier times the pre-pod ready machines supposedly had a shower screen that had holes over the entire screen surface rather than just to suit the diameter of pods. Never did find one myself but if you can get hold of one it may give slightly better coverage over the filter basket. Not essential but if you can be bothered tracking one down it might be interesting to try it for the hell of it! These are from the compatible Starbucks Barista machine - The pod screen on the left, the fuller coverage screen on the right.

pod screen.jpg full screen.jpg
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 17th July 2013 at 08:56 AM.

Via venezia leaking pressure?

Some good info in here for new VV/single boiler owners, thanks. Would be good to have it in its own thread with an appropriate title (I dont have permission yet!).
    More specifically i'm referring to priming the boiler, loosening the shower screen screw to overcome the "shower" (get an even flow), temperature surfing and of course the steam wand mod.

bumping this thread. I recently noticed that my Via Venezia (10 months old) seems to build up excessive pressure at times at the group head.
    On some occasions, when I remove the portafilter, there would be a burst of pressure and the wet coffee grounds would splatter around the tray area.

Would it be anything to do with the grind size? Would things improve if I change from using a pressurized portafilter, to a non-pressurized one? Thanks and appreciate any help on this.

SKU/Part #: 128452403 Check this part on your machine,seems yours is blocked as the pressure relief should come into play.

Cheers
    Mick