Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Breville Infuser (BES840) Owners thread

Hello Jonny,

Welxcome to Coffeesnobs.

Have you changed the coffee beans you are using? Freshly roasted beans have to be ground coarser, with the need to grind finer as the beans age.

Barry.

Hi Barry thanks for the quick reply,

I have been using the same 3 types of beans since I got the machine and currently using the first of the 3 that I have been getting ( same grinding settings for all of them )

Hi Again,

Update on the situation : I got a new Infuser, the first shot came out beautifully. Since then ... not a drop with the same grinding settings. I did set the grind to much coarser ( 15 instead of 7 on the smart grinder pro ) and the first shot was great, then ... not a drop being extracted.

Could it come from the grinder ?

I haven't had my morning coffee for 2weeks now it's ... hard

There is a big diffwerence between 15 and 7. Could there be somewhere inbetween where you get a good flow?

Barry

I extracted a shoot for each increment from 7 to 15. From 10 to 13 I would get a couple of drops.
    The frustrating part is that when I got to 15, I did manage to get a decent ich coffee, so I made a second one to be sure with the exact same settings and not a drop...

I really don't know what to do anymore.

EDIT : I did get a pretty useful answer from an other forum mentioning that it is possible that the grinder went out of wack and my original settings at simply different now.
    I'll do a few tests and let you guys know in case it happens to someone else.
    Last edited by JonnyJonJon; 6th December 2015 at 01:16 PM.

Perhaps your putting too much coffee in, you need somewhere between 3-5 mm clearance after you tamp your shot. try setting the grind to under fill the shot and then manually add a little more until you get the correct extraction. if the needle is maxed out and nothing is coming out, then its overfilled or the grind it too fine.

Hi fellow caffeine addicts! I have a Breville Infuser BES840 & wondering if someone is able to point me in the right direction for spare parts. Steam is leaking from around the wand where it comes out of the body of the machine & I'm hoping I can buy a replacement seal kit which includes 2 nylon cup bushes & 2 O rings, I've searched online without much success.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Achat View Post
    I have a Breville Infuser BES840 & wondering if someone is able to point me in the right direction for spare parts.
    Via a Breville service centre and they're supplied inclusive of their labour charges.

Did anyone ever find out what the deal is with this model being phased out? There doesn't seem to have been a replacement model, leaving Breville with a frustrating hole in their lineup between the 810 and 870, and the 840 seemed like the perfect little machine for me to step up to from the $250ish Sunbeam we've had the last 5 years.
    juggsy likes this.

Hi CoffeeSnobs
    I'm Andy from Perth
    Been browsing the forum for a while and thought I'd chip in. Had an Infuser and matching Smart Grinder in Sesame Black for a couple of years (old pic below) and started to get serious in the last few months, and have taken a couple of courses through Five Senses here.
    Really like my machine, and getting better at texturing milk. Only issue I've had with my machine is that the shot clock seems to go haywire once a week or so, but that's easily reset!
    Thinking about maybe upgrading the unit soon, but for now I'm happy!

juggsy likes this.

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, having had it recommended by a friend.

I love coffee and after recently doing plenty of research decided to take the plunge on a Breville Infuser and Smart Grinder Pro as a way of really enjoying/learning more about coffee.

I understand the basics of grind/dose/tamp and have done plenty of perusing through the forum/YouTube, though am looking for some guidance on how to get the best results from these two machines, generally speaking. I say generally because I appreciate that everyone's tastes and therefore methodologies will be different.

I literally bought the machines yesterday and have been having fun experimenting with my favourite freshly roasted beans using the pressurised/non-pressurised single shot baskets, though seem to be getting 1) very short but consistent extractions at around 15/16 seconds including infusion, albeit almost bang in the middle of the pressure dial (I'm assuming somewhere in the middle of the 'espresso range' is where you want to be, having picked that up reading/watching videos) or 2) longer extractions at around 30/35 seconds at a much higher pressure, almost towards the top end sometimes with very little coming out. All in the grind size range from around 5 to 20. I've also observed that scales are an 'essential', though would assume that relying on what the grinder delivers in its 1/2 shot configurations would be sufficient?

Grateful for any guidance as it's certainly something I'd love to become more passionate about, though it can sometimes be a little daunting with so many variables at play!

Cheers guys

Hey guys, can someone with the Breville Infuser + Smart Grinder Pro combination shed light on the grind, volume, tamp settings they're using for their espressos please. I've spent three weekends trying to figure this thing out with some amount of success but not quite there yet. So, I'm getting the pressure gauge to fall within the Espresso range but the coffee tastes disgusting -- bitter and unbalanced. I've tried grinding finer, keeping weight constant, but then the pressure gauge shoots all the way to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by zariquez View Post
    Espresso range but the coffee tastes disgusting -- bitter and unbalanced.
    I don't have this machine but the gauge is really only a guide. Try making the grind just coarser than the ideal on the gauge. It may be more to your taste.
    Grind Coarser = sour, underextracted
    Grind Finer = bitter, overextracted

What you want is somewhere between these two - Balanced. Maybe your gauge will show less than optimal but the taste will be OK?
    level3ninja likes this.

Thanks Toorakwa. For long I couldn't pull a shot within the range and the coffee was no good either, so when I finally did, just felt like a tiny reward. But you're right, the focus needs to be on the taste rather than the needle. It would still help though if any members out there could share their settings.
    slipslopslap likes this.

Hey guys, can someone with the Breville Infuser + Smart Grinder Pro combination shed light on the grind, volume, tamp settings they're using for their espressos please. I've spent three weekends trying to figure this thing out with some amount of success but not quite there yet. So, I'm getting the pressure gauge to fall within the Espresso range but the coffee tastes disgusting -- bitter and unbalanced. I've tried grinding finer, keeping weight constant, but then the pressure gauge shoots all the way to the right.
    I feel the same way, same machines, same problem
    slipslopslap likes this.

As long as the coffee is coming out and hasn't stopped flowing, you should be able to ignore what the gauge says and go by taste. Then you can use the gauge, but only as a guide to compare to what it normally says when it tastes good, ignoring the labels.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurchan View Post
    I feel the same way, same machines, same problem
    I wouldn't go by what is written in those instruction manuals,.it will do your head in ! As a veteran of 2 BES 860 machines i only use the extraction guage....nothing else .

This is the method i use,
    Volume - you want to be grinding enough beans so that after you have tamped you can just see the "top" of the stainless steel ring around the bottom of your tamper(thats what it's for) , when you have that right ...set time into your grinder .
    When you have volume set ,...then set your grind fine till it is "almost" choking your coffee machine....then back the grind off a bit, but keep it so it is "just" within that broken line area. When i pull a shot my extraction guage ALWAYS sits right at the very top into the broken line area . Once you are in that area with your grind you may have to go back and adjust volume slightly . When you are constantly getting into that same extraction area this indicates. ...volume , tamp and grind is correct and your shot should be cafe quality, or better. If it starts to blond a bit before extraction has finished simply end the shot manualy.

Let us know how you get on?
    Last edited by slipslopslap; 17th September 2017 at 01:56 PM.
    rawill likes this.

Thanks Toorakwa. For long I couldn't pull a shot within the range and the coffee was no good either, so when I finally did, just felt like a tiny reward. But you're right, the focus needs to be on the taste rather than the needle. It would still help though if any members out there could share their settings.
    Your dead right, shoot for taste, if you follow your instruction manual and aim to get your extraction gauge needle into the "espresso" zone on the dial you coffee will be undrinkable every time. You need to be aiming to get your needle "just" on the border line or "just" out of that zone into the broken line area.

You need to take your machine into the "unknown" zone where no man has ever dared to tread before, be brave, for it is your friend. .

Have a read of my post #67.
    Last edited by slipslopslap; 19th September 2017 at 08:29 AM.

Rbn
    Quote Originally Posted by slipslopslap View Post
    Your dead right, shoot for taste, if you follow your instruction manual and aim to get your extraction gauge needle into the "espresso" zone on the dial you coffee will be undrinkable every time. You need to be aiming to get your needle "just" on the border line or "just" out of that zone into the broken line area.

You need to take your machine into the "unknown" zone where no man has ever dared to tread before, be brave, for it is your friend. .

Have a read of my post #67.
    A couple of great posts.
    I can make a more than acceptable flat white with my EM 6910/EM480, 7/15gm VST basket.

But trying to get the same taste from a single walled krups basket (51mm) in my EM5600/EM440, is a different world.
    I have not got it nailed yet.
    Just does not taste as sweet, but I know it can be done, I have done it, with a different grinder, that died.

Maybe this should be a new thread, but the above post is giving me something to consider with regard to how full I make my baskets.
    I suspect that is where I have been falling down.
    slipslopslap likes this.

Hey rawill it's worth a try mate.

Having now read through this entire thread it seems that alot of people are having the same problem's and seem to be more concerned about following instruction manuals and getting basket weight's correct rather than just following their taste buds. The stainless steel ring around the bottom of the tamper indicates how much grind you should be filling the baskets with and is there to be used as a depth gauge to make sure you have quantity right. I always fill the basket with enough grind to ensure that AFTER i have tamped, the ring is either level with, or just above the top of the basket, it is also there to make sure you have a level Tamp. I have no clue what so ever what weight i "should" be using in my baskets, my Tamper tells me all i need to know.

DEPTH2.jpg
    Last edited by slipslopslap; 19th September 2017 at 02:46 PM.
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    And I think that is right with the 6910 tamper, it works like that with a 15gm VST.
    When you put it at that level, it is 15/16gm.

However, with a lower end machine, like the EM 4800, or the EM 5600, the tampers are just plastic flat discs.
    Any aftermarket tampers, like I have do not have any markings, but it does seem about 14/16 gms is about right.
    But I have to do more with this, I used to use the dual wall filters on these machines, then I threw them away, in the hunt for better coffee from these machines.
    slipslopslap likes this.

Those double wall baskets all belong in the bin, so does that milk frothing tube thing, or what ever the hell it's supposed to be, they only teach you bad habits . I'm trying to improve my barrista skills...not make them worse. I had a laugh

I've never liked the idea of swapping baskets , tampers etc on these "appliance" type machines, it always sounds more trouble than its worth so I've stuck to whats supplied . Different story for the prosumer machines though.
    Last edited by slipslopslap; 19th September 2017 at 06:38 PM.
    rawill likes this.

So I guessed that I was not using enough espresso grinds and now am trying to get my tamper level with the silver line like that pic a few posts down. I have noticed I am getting more creme which I was obviously happy about cuz I'm assuming that's what should be coming out, although my question is: is the porter filter suppose to have some water in it when I dump it? There is a little water in the porter filter still and I didn't know if that was a good or bad sign. I'll take a pic and give my specs of what I'm using later. I have a smart grinder pro

Quote Originally Posted by slipslopslap View Post
    I've never liked the idea of swapping baskets , tampers etc on these "appliance" type machines, it always sounds more trouble than its worth so I've stuck to whats supplied . Different story for the prosumer machines though.
    When i first started my coffee journey over 5 years ago, i was a sceptic as well, but eventually got around to buying the best tamper available, a Pullman tamper, matched to my basket. I am no longer a sceptic. They do make a difference, both in grind size and taste. Comparing back to back with the same machine and same beans, i could grind coarser with the Pullman, no doubt due mostly to being matched to the basket so even tamp pressure right to the edge. The taste was also much improved, most likely as a result of a more even tamp. The way the Pullman tamps are machined on the face also makes it unrivalled when polishing the puck. There is so little friction you can almost spin it like a top.

They aren't cheap, but well worth it.
    rawill likes this.

W80
    I've had my BES840 since Jan 2015, however my grinder is the Sunbeam EMO480... so can't really give you a grinder setting.
    I measure out 18-19g and then tamp until the chrome of the tamper is in the basket, and the lip is level with the black part of the tamper if that makes sense.
    I pay less attention to the gauge now, then when I first got the machine, and check the flow out of the filter, and the resulting shot to determine what adjustments need to be made.
    I use the programmed run buttons, and single wall double basket, and as my coffee amount is generally constant, the only thing i really change as the bean ages is the grind size.

Here are pics that I took when I make my 2 shots of espresso. Just looking for any advice or critiquing will be helpful. I've only had both machines for about 2 weeks so I'm sure there are lots of things I'm doing wrong.

I have 2 videos but don't know how to upload them. My espresso shots took about 20 sec from the 1st drop. I've read multiple target times but generally I'm assuming you want it between 25-35 sec? So if I'm getting 20 sec, then I should make the grind finer.
    I made the grinder 8 sec cuz I grind, even out the beans, then grind again, then tamp. So total I'm doing 16 sec for 2 shots. I did it this way so I lose less grinds over the side of the portafilter.
    Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or how I can become better. Thx
    Last edited by Rurchan; 25th September 2017 at 10:16 AM. Reason: added pics

The time of the shot is counted from when you push the button. First drop is usually somewhere around 7-8s, so 20s from first drop wouldn't be bad. You'll have to upload videos to YouTube or similar and post a link, you can't upload videos direct to CS like you can pictures.
    All your other numbers seem ok, but taste is more important. How does it taste?
    The grind time will change significantly between beans, so the weight you're getting is more important than the time. I can't remember the target dose for your machine but I think it's somewhere around 14g?

Different beans require different grind time's,then as the bean ages you need to adjust grind setting. I cant give you any advice about pour times as i have never worried about them,.... i go by taste. I'm not even going to try and attempt to do on my semi auto "appliance" type machine with default pour times as what people do with prosumer machines. If my grind setting, grind time and tamp is correct then I'll watch the shot ...and if it starts to blond i end the shot. Others may be able to help you with that one. Trying to get all that correct , and keep it correct on one of these machines would do my head in . My advice is,..try just going by taste ...if it starts to blond...end the shot.
    Your extraction gauge will tell you everything you need to know , where is the needle sitting when you do a pour? If it's not on the borderline of the broken line area then you need to make your grind finer as your grind QTY in your PF looks spot on.
    Last edited by slipslopslap; 25th September 2017 at 11:44 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2