Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Breville Infuser (BES840) Owners thread

Breville Infuser (BES840) Owners thread

I thought we should have a thread for those of us who own the Breville Infuser (BES840)...

So this would be a good place for questions, thoughts, and general chit chat about the Infuser... Do you own one?

I recently got a hardly used 2nd hand Infuser after my BES820 went bang while steaming some milk.... prior to that I'd been using the BES800... My Infuser is paired with a Breville Smart Grinder BCG800 which seems to do a more than adequate job. I prefer the BCG800 / BES840 combo over the BES860 or BES870 as I sometimes drink plunger coffee, auto-drip and sometimes moka pot if I need to keep noise down. I must say the Infuser is noticeably quieter than both the previous models I've owned.

I believe I must have a 1st or A model as there seems to be a 2nd or B revision of the Infuser which allows the brew temperature to be changed -/+ 2 degrees from the factory setting which mine does not do.

So far I'm pretty happy with the Infuser, the pre-infusion I think makes a difference & improvement in the cup over the previous 2 models I've had. Steaming is much better especially when steaming for 2 drinks. The shape of the shower head is also an improvement, I think it ensures more even distribution of the brew water onto the grinds. I am certainly getting tastier coffees which surprised me as I was actually pretty happy with my results with the previous 2 models...

I think I will get an "aftermarket" tamper with a bit more weight too it as I just feel the supplied tamper to be a bit lightweight for my liking but I guess that could just be a personal preference thing...

I've got the late model Infuser with the temp adjust function. Picked it up from Bing Lee for $385 - shop around and you could probably get it for a bit cheaper. It''s been a huge improvement over my depressurized Saeco Poemia and I'm having a heap of fun experimenting and learning how to pull better shots. The steam wand is does a fairly decent job as well. Agree with the lightweight tamper but I just lean on it a bit more.

It's almost idiot proof so makes for a fantastic entry level machine that comes with everything you need to get serious with making excellent coffee.

Yeah I have to agree it does make it pretty easy... Do you use the temperature adjust at all? I was disappointed not to have that feature but then I wondered if I'd ever be likely to use it

The steam wand is definitely an improvement over both previous models I've had, I'm getting a much nicer texture in the milk.

Does anyone else find the pressure sort of "surges" or "pulses" when doing an extraction?? As in once it's done pre-infusion and goes full pressure, the gauge hits the top end of optimum zone / start of over extracted, then drops off back to the middle / lower end of optimum, back to the top etc etc until the extraction is done, and of course you can hear the pump or something going up and down with it.....

I noticed my BES820 also did the same thing while extracting... The 2 x BES800 / 800 Series I've used have not done this surging / pulsing thing....

It's sort of like in this video (not my video) but mine isn't pulsating as fast so to speak... from what I can tell the one in the video is only getting half way up the scale... I'll try and video the next extraction I do... There is a solution in the video's description, I'm just not sure if it's meant to be doing this or not (I suspect not)... I'd hate to pull the machine apart and wreck it if there is no need!

I use 18 grams of coffee in the single wall dbl basket (the one with lots of holes) and get 60mls in around 27-33 seconds. The end result is good... just worried it could be a sign it's going to blow like the last machine! I can't recall if my parents BES860, or BES870 do it and I can't check for quite some time..

My 870 does not pulse like that. Small pressure for pre infusion then up to 12 o'clock and rock steady for the rest of the infusion.

Quote Originally Posted by lappa View Post
    My 870 does not pulse like that. Small pressure for pre infusion then up to 12 o'clock and rock steady for the rest of the infusion.
    I'm wondering if these machines have an over pressure valve... It only seems to do it when I make coffee, not when my g/f does, and I tamp with a bit more weight...

Quote Originally Posted by gtstcactus View Post
    I'm wondering if these machines have an over pressure valve... It only seems to do it when I make coffee, not when my g/f does, and I tamp with a bit more weight...
    When I first poured a shot using bought ground coffee and the dual wall filter, I tamped way too tight after overloading the basket. The gauge maxed out on the scale and the coffee only came out in drips but there was no pulsing.

Spare parts diag. for 860 and others show a "safety valve" - can't find a schematic for the 840.
    Last edited by lappa; 11th February 2015 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Additional info

Hi Guys

I'm new to the machine and something really stupid. When running a bit of water through the group head to clean it it ran dry for a few seconds. Will this have caused damage to the pump and heating system? Or does it have a safety mechanism to prevent damage?

Overs, welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

I dont think you would do any harm.

Your machine has a vibration pump and a thermoblock heater that is a lump of metal that the water passes through that includes a heater element and thermostats for brewing and steaming temperatures. Without water it only goes to the set temperature.

It is different with boiler machines where without water the thermostat cannot control temperature and without protection the element will burn out. With my Breville Dual Boiler if the water runs low the machine wont run.

Barry

It'll be OK, I've lost count of the times I've run the 870 dry. I always say I'll never do that again until the next time :-)
    It's still going strong though and nearly 2 years old, plus I took out the extended warranty when purchasing.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

I answered your PM also... but will post here too... You're machine should be fine... I tried to make a coffee the other day and discovered the last person to use it had run the water out... I pushed the double button and got no coffee, realised the tank was empty so filled it and tried again... everything was fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Overs View Post
    Hi Guys

I'm new to the machine and something really stupid. When running a bit of water through the group head to clean it it ran dry for a few seconds. Will this have caused damage to the pump and heating system? Or does it have a safety mechanism to prevent damage?

Quote Originally Posted by lappa View Post
    When I first poured a shot using bought ground coffee and the dual wall filter, I tamped way too tight after overloading the basket. The gauge maxed out on the scale and the coffee only came out in drips but there was no pulsing.

Spare parts diag. for 860 and others show a "safety valve" - can't find a schematic for the 840.
    I've been experimenting with a lighter tamp after watching a video and reading some stuff which suggested you can basically tamp with very little / no pressure. With a lighter tamp I'm getting the needle on the gauge sitting in the 1 o'clock position without the pulsing / surging, so my conclusion is that it must be an over pressure / safety valve thing.

I don't really use the temp function as I can't really tell if there's any improvement to the shot. What makes the biggest difference is the grind, dosage and tamp. My machine hasn't pulsed like that either so I can't say what may or may not have gone wrong. And stay away from the dual wall filter!

The pulsing on my machine is a little different from the video... It's down to how hard I tamp (which I haven't measured but suspect is more than recommended), so if I back off on the tamp the gauge gets to 1 o'clock and stays there... So I've concluded it's an operator controlled factor, not a problem with the machine.

Yes i agree about the dual wall filters! I've never used them.....

Sorry guys, quick question about the dual wall filters. Why do you recommend not to use them?

W80
    Hahaha... I've been waiting for a thread just like this
    I bought one of these machines from JB Hi Fi in their Boxing Day sales for $349, and its teamed up with my shimmed Sunbeam EMO480, and producing excellent coffee when I get it right
    The hardest thing so far has been to get a consistent dose and tamp, and every time I change the bean it takes 1 or 2 goes before dialling it in correctly.

For the people that have the option, what temperature are you setting the machine to? I've got it at -1 and I let it sit for about 30 seconds before drinking
    Also, are people extracting the shot manually by holding the button in, or just press and release?

Quote Originally Posted by Overs View Post
    Sorry guys, quick question about the dual wall filters. Why do you recommend not to use them?
    I think the consensus is that they limit your ability to produce really good coffee when using freshly ground, freshly freshly roasted beans. Basically they are designed to produce something resembling an espresso when using pre-ground supermarket coffee (stale coffee). They are more tolerant of not getting factors like grind, & tamp correct.

The single walls will produce a superior result in the cup but are not so forgiving of grind, dose and tamp not being done right.

So to summarise basically it is recommended to use the single wall filters because you will end up with a better coffee if you use freshly roasted coffee, grind right before using, and are prepared to put the effort into getting your technique just right...

That's the jist of it... someone else might be able to explain it a bit more eloquently!
    rawill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by W80 View Post
    The hardest thing so far has been to get a consistent dose and tamp, and every time I change the bean it takes 1 or 2 goes before dialling it in correctly.

For the people that have the option, what temperature are you setting the machine to? I've got it at -1 and I let it sit for about 30 seconds before drinking
    Also, are people extracting the shot manually by holding the button in, or just press and release?
    Yeah it's normal to take a couple of goes to dial everything in with new beans...

I don't have the temp adjust on my Infuser, but for extracting a shot I use the double shot button press & release. The factory settings are just right on my machine to produce a 60ml double shot.

Hi, I am looking to upgrade from a Nespresso. Looking at getting the BES840 and BCG600SIL as a package for $590, is this a good price for the combo and will it provide a better coffee experience?

Quote Originally Posted by venno View Post
    Hi, I am looking to upgrade from a Nespresso. Looking at getting the BES840 and BCG600SIL as a package for $590, is this a good price for the combo and will it provide a better coffee experience?
    Where are you located?? (I assume NZ or Aus) The BES840 in NZ is $799RRP but can be had on special for closer to $400, the BCG820 can be found for $199 probably less (I'm talking NZ $$$ here, so in Australia it would be even cheaper I'd expect)... So one should be able to get the BES840 & BCG820 for about $600NZD. The BCG600SIL has the same internals as the BCG820 if I recall rightly, tho it should be cheaper as it's a little more basic I think. Someone from Aus might be able to give a better idea if it's a good price or not...

I've never used a nespresso machine but I would think the BES840 would produce better coffee if you don't mind a little trial & error and getting your technique and the variables (grind, tamp, dose etc) under control... Once you have everything down pat you can certainly produce very good coffee with the BES840...
    rawill likes this.

I'm in Perth. The local prices here are 428 for the bes840 and 170 for the bcg600sil. The bcg820 is over 250 and from what I can see it is not any functionally different to the bcg600sil, it's just the interface that is more fancy.

Nespresso delivers a good, not great, but consistent coffe. I am now looking for a better coffee experience.

Yeah when I said the BCG600 was more basic I meant the interface, the internals are the same as far as I know, so for the price I would assume the BCG600 to be pretty good...

I use the BCG800 (which is pretty much the same as BCG820, slightly different interface / features) and it does more than an adequate job, so it would be pretty safe to assume the BCG600 will do just fine with the BES840... I think you are bound to have a better coffee experience with the Breville combo if you use freshly roasted coffee, grind on demand, use the included single wall baskets, and are prepared to get your technique & variables right you should be able to produce a really good coffee..
    rawill likes this.

Temp adjust?

Quote Originally Posted by xprshnz View Post
    I've got the late model Infuser with the temp adjust function. Picked it up from Bing Lee for $385 - shop around and you could probably get it for a bit cheaper. It''s been a huge improvement over my depressurized Saeco Poemia and I'm having a heap of fun experimenting and learning how to pull better shots. The steam wand is does a fairly decent job as well. Agree with the lightweight tamper but I just lean on it a bit more.

It's almost idiot proof so makes for a fantastic entry level machine that comes with everything you need to get serious with making excellent coffee.
    Hi xprshnz,
    I am a new owner of The Infuser (BES840), purchased for my wife for Mother's Day .
    You mentioned previously that the later models have a temperature adjust but I cannot find any info in the manual (nor online) that makes any mention of this? Can you provide more info? Is this temp. adjust a hack or an actual setting through the front buttons?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by halo9672 View Post
    Hi xprshnz,
    I am a new owner of The Infuser (BES840), purchased for my wife for Mother's Day .
    You mentioned previously that the later models have a temperature adjust but I cannot find any info in the manual (nor online) that makes any mention of this? Can you provide more info? Is this temp. adjust a hack or an actual setting through the front buttons?
    Thanks.
    Taken directly from Breville's website:

"The InfuserLow pressure pre-infusion with PID temperature control
    A Steady Low Pressure Pre-infusion Gently Expands the Grinds for an Even Extraction
    Balanced flavours are drawn evenly from all the grinds. So what is the best way to prepare the grinds for an even extraction?
    Rather than start with bursts of high pressure, a steady low pressure pre-infusion gently expands the grinds before stepping up to high pressure for an even extraction.
    PID temperature control delivers increased temperature stability for a better tasting coffee and high power 1700W for high pressure steam and faster heat up"

And... from the user manual:

"SettingThe water temperature can be increased ordecreased by 1C or 2C if desired.Coffee of different origins or roast profilesmay need a different espresso brew watertemperature to optimise their flavour. If yourespresso is tasting slightly “ashy” decreasethe brew water temperature by 1C. If yourespresso is tasting slightly “sour” increaseyour brew water temperature by 1C.HOT WATERSTEAMPOWERCLEAN MEPROGRAMDEFAULT TEMPERATURE-2˚C+2˚CSELECT-1˚C+1˚CINDICATOR DESCRIPTIONTo amend temperature settings:• With the machine OFF, press andhold the 1 cup button and thensimultaneously press and hold the powerbutton.• A beep will sound to indicate thatthe temperature settings can now bechanged.• The LED of the last saved setting will beilluminated. See table on left.• Pressing the 2 cup button to allows youto toggle between the different settings.• Please note that if the 2 cup button is notpressed within 10 seconds, the machinewill return to STANDBY mode and theabove steps will have to be repeated• After you have made a selection, 2 beepswill sound to indicate that your settinghas been saved.• The machine will then return toSTANDBY mode.RESETTING DEFAULT VOLUMESTo reset the machine to the default 1 CUPand 2 CUP shot volumes, press and hold thePROGRAM button until the machine beepsthree times. Release the PROGRAM button.The machine will return to its originaldefault setting"
    Last edited by Javaphile; 12th June 2015 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Removed insulting comment

Hi,, I have just purchased a Breville Infuser Expresso machine, love the look of it on my counter. First one I brought home worked fine, but the pressure gauge barely moved, called Breville, the rep said as long as it makes good coffee, don't worry about the gauge, I feel spending $500 plus on a coffee machine, everything should work! Took the machine back to the store and exchanged for another of the same, came home, tried it out, no reading at all on pressure gauge. I have tried different coffee grounds, still no pressure reading. I was looking at consumer reviews on line and see a few customers have also experienced this. Any advice out there?

Quote Originally Posted by cvanbeek View Post
    Hi,, I have just purchased a Breville Infuser Expresso machine, love the look of it on my counter. First one I brought home worked fine, but the pressure gauge barely moved, called Breville, the rep said as long as it makes good coffee, don't worry about the gauge, I feel spending $500 plus on a coffee machine, everything should work! Took the machine back to the store and exchanged for another of the same, came home, tried it out, no reading at all on pressure gauge. I have tried different coffee grounds, still no pressure reading. I was looking at consumer reviews on line and see a few customers have also experienced this. Any advice out there?
    Grind, tamp, dose. You need to figure out which one (or two/all?) of the three it is. It's more likely to be the dosage - I've found that the tamped dosage should be just under level with the lip.

cvanbeek, hello and welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

What coffee and grinder are you using? This will effect the build up of pressure as well as flavour.

Barry

Hi Breville Infuser BES840 Owners Thread, I'm new to CoffeeSnobs and I'm looking at purchasing either a BES810 or BES840. I would appreciate any comments to assist my decision. Cheers, Linda

Hey guys, i just bought a BES840 and my extraction is happening way to quickly
    Not including the pre infusion (8-10 seconds) it takes about 10 seconds

The booklet says 8-10 seconds for preinfusion and 30-35 seconds for extraction

I've tried everything i can think of to no avail
    I've tried
    Tamping firmer and looser
    Using more and less coffee
    Using a finer grind
    Using different beans
    Using a double filter basket

It only takes 10 seconds when there is no coffee aswell (not sure if relevant)

I dont know what else to do

First off Are you using a burr grinder? If not, get one.

Next are you letting the machine/grouphead warm up completely?

Next are you using a single floor or double floored basket? If using the double floored toss it aside and switch to the single floored basket.

Next are you using the single or double sized basket? If using the single set it aside and switch to the double and stick with it until you can achieve a good extraction as it is much easier to use than the single.

Next up is are you filling the basket to the proper level? After tamping the coffee should be just barely not touching the screen when the portafilter is locked into the grouphead. Tamp using 10-15kg of pressure. Using the same pressure each time is more important than what the exact pressure is.

The next question then is are the beans you're using fresh? If so keep grinding finer until you get the extraction you want.

Java "Step by step" phile
    rawill likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

1. Put the portafilter on the grouphead ready to go with coffee in it.
    2. Hold the single shot button down until the first drops of coffee appear in the cup, then release the button
    3. When you have enough coffee in the cup, press the single shot button again

Rbn
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    2. Hold the single shot button down until the first drops of coffee appear in the cup, then release the button
    Can you explain this some more for me.
    I am missing something.

I get it up to point 2!

Point 3 has me puzzled, if I had enough coffee in the cup why would I press the single shot button again?

Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    Can you explain this some more for me.
    I am missing something.

I get it up to point 2!

Point 3 has me puzzled, if I had enough coffee in the cup why would I press the single shot button again?

It's because he's doing a manual shot. Point 3 is to stop the flow as/when it starts to blonde
    rawill and Melbroaster like this.

Thanks a tonne for the response @javaphile
    I am using a burr grinder
    I have been allowing the machine to warm up and running a water shot through it to warm it up
    I am using the single walled filter as per your guys advice
    Since i have swtiched to the double i have been getting about 15 second shots but would prefer to be able to use the single one aswell :/
    I think i have got tamping the coffee down pat as per the instructions and the extraction pressure
    Definately using fresh beans

Should i do manual shots guys?
    I'm considering trying to swap the machine out for this one
    Sunbeam PU6910 Espresso Machine & Grinder at The Good Guys
    $50 extra approximately

Thanks guys
    @brevillista @rawill

Hello
    Everyone
    I was wondering if anyone is using or knows where to buyba naked portafilter for the bes840
    Thanks

W80
    Quote Originally Posted by lilviss View Post
    Thanks a tonne for the response @javaphile
    I am using a burr grinder
    I have been allowing the machine to warm up and running a water shot through it to warm it up
    I am using the single walled filter as per your guys advice
    Since i have swtiched to the double i have been getting about 15 second shots but would prefer to be able to use the single one aswell :/
    I think i have got tamping the coffee down pat as per the instructions and the extraction pressure
    Definately using fresh beans

Should i do manual shots guys?
    I'm considering trying to swap the machine out for this one
    Sunbeam PU6910 Espresso Machine & Grinder at The Good Guys
    $50 extra approximately

Thanks guys
    @brevillista @rawill

Lilviss... how is the shot running? Is it sending the gauge to the 12 o'clock position?
    Is the shot fine, just not running long enough?
    Personally, I'm more concerned about volume in the cup rather than shot time.
    If everything is running fine except the shot time, then it's possible to recalibrate the 1 and 2 cup pour time by

1. Press Program button
    2. Press 1 or 2 cup to start extraction
    3. Press the same button to end extraction
    The machine will then beep to confirm new settings

Also... if you're not using a set of scales, start using them. Depending on the bean I'll use between 18-20g coffee in a single wall double basket shot.
    The scales really add a level of consistency

W80
    Quote Originally Posted by lilviss View Post
    Hello
    Everyone
    I was wondering if anyone is using or knows where to buyba naked portafilter for the bes840
    Thanks
    As far as I'm aware, there are no naked portafilters available for this model, although to be honest, I haven't looked at accessories for at least the last few months

Hi there - I have always liked the look of the BES840 and have seen them selling at JB HiFi for $399 - but when enquiring about them at David Jones (price match to use up a gift card) I was told that they're not getting any more in (end of life) and have no stock online or at their Sydney City store. So now I am wondering whether to scoop one up at JB, go for something from another manufacturer or wait to see what Breville will be brining out to replace it.

I asked harvey norman today and they arent stocking it wither
    But continuing to stock the dual temp pro (the model down)

She called breville and they said they were sending anything else in the near future

And the best840 is still up as current on brevilles website

I like mine though it leaks into the storage tray next to the drip tray
    Im still having trouble with the single espresso shot too
    But it tastes good

Target have them for $379
    Price match

Thanks lilviss - I might give Breville a call tomorrow and see what's brewing.....
    science-teacher likes this.

Let me know hey

I have owned an Infuser for a couple of years now. After much experimentation (all with the non-pressurised filter baskets) I now pull a single 30ml dose of espresso through the double filter after grinding 18-20 gr of beans into it (now roasted on a Behmor). I try to get the pressure needle just on the right hand end of the solid line finding this produces a nice looking and tasty flow. This is then turned into a small Latte or drank as an espresso.

Initially I was using a Sunbeam 0480 grinder which had to be shimmed to work with the Infuser. Now I use a Rosco hand grinder which results in an improved "all round" flavour.

I was interested to note from above comments that it looks like the Infuser is being phased out. I wonder how Myers will deal with my extended machine replacement warranty when it packs up! On that, we have had no trouble with the Infuser despite it being used twice a day to produce 4 coffees per day. The timer for the single shot failed a few times - it didn't switch off. After turning the machine 'off' then 'on' (I worked in IT so I know all about this) each time the fault "went away" and has been gone for a few months now.

All up we found the machine worked better than expected and we have a regular set of visitors who enjoy the output too.

I have to say that this machine is great. I bought one for work (sick of spending $4 a day on a coffee) in July and it performs beautifully. Not quite up to the standard of my home machine - the Rancilio S26 (with plumbing , but the milk textures beautifully and the crema works a dream. At my old work we had an automatic machine (Nespresso) which didn't do half the job of this little beauty. For the price paid ($420 at Bing-Lee), I am very happy The real trick is making sure the beans are fresh and finely ground (i.e. not 'espresso grind' from a shop, but done in a proper grinder). I have a rancilio MD40 grinder and grind the beans fresh to take into work with me. I made the mistake of buying 'espresso grind' beans from our local roastery (which does a delicious roast), but there was absolutely no crema whatsoever

Well I finally pulled the trigger on the BES840 ($349 at JB HiFi Sydney City Westfield - it is $399 in their catalog but someone had mis-priced the box and JB were happy to go with it). I only had time to unpack it and run a few test shots, but I was very happy with it (I'm moving up from Bialetti stove top after all ). I have had a Breville smart grinder for a number of years so it's nice to finally start grinding fine!

I'm looking at a BES840 as part of our kitchen reno... refreshing a few appliances. Looking for comments or feedback on:

- How much of an upgrade would it be from an old BES400 Ikon coffee machine?
    - Would the dedicated hot water spout be sufficient for a few cups of tea per day, ie. hide the kettle?

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    Hi, just wondering when you pull a manual shot to make a long espresso, does your pressure gauge read the same as when doing auto shots. Mine works how it should when pulling the auto double shot. But when I try to pull a manual one to make a long espresso instead of an Americano, the pressure gauge barely reads any pressure at all. I hold the button till the first sign of espresso starts coming out, than I release it..thanks..

Weird. Cant imagine why?

Hi There, It seem like this thread has been inactive for quite a while so I will bring it back up !

I recently purchased The Infuser with the Smart Grinder Pro which has been incredible without a bump for approximately 6 weeks.

Suddenly one day I could not extract a drop of coffee with the exact same setting on the grinder. Pressure gauge would go crazy straight away to max and nothing has been able to be extracted since.

I sent it to be fixed they could not find anything wrong with it and they said the coffee comes out perfectly. Still can't pull any shot unless I grind incredibly coarse.

Any thoughts on what might have changed ?

ps : i do take really good care of the machines and clean them regularly.

thx a lot in advance !

PS : setting on the grinder has been 7 for approximately 18.6sec ( now I have to set it at 20 if I want to extract anything ... )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast