Thread: Replacement filter basket for EM6910

Replacement filter basket for EM6910

Hi folks, newcomer here.

I recently picked up a EM6910 and EM0480 off gumtree for a total of $50. Pretty good deal for a noob espresso enthusiast, I thought. Everything seems to be in good working order after a thorough clean, apart from the magnet in the low water sensor float.

Unfortunately, the only basket I have is the double wall, double shot, which I'm finding makes really crap espresso. I'm sure my technique has plenty to do with it as well, but I've seen enough comments on here to know that the double-walled filters are best avoided. Thus, my questions:

1. Would it be best to try and source an original sunbeam non-pressurised double filter for my machine, or would you guys recommend something premium like a VST (given that I'll be learning to make espresso on this basket from scratch, and not having to modify my technique perfected previously on a different basket).

2. If 3rd-party, which basket is recommended and will fit my portafilter? I've done an advanced search on here ("EM6910 filter basket") and read every thread that came up. Believe it or not, even though there is plenty of discussion around the topic, there are no definitive answers as to which filters are confirmed to be compatible. I'd prefer not to have to modify wires/PF, and I'd really prefer not to order something for $50 and find it doesn't fit at all on arrival. I do know I'm after 58mm, ridgeless, but I'd love some advice from the wise old ones.

Thank you!

Good find! From reports read here VST is probably best avoided for a beginner, have never used one though but reported to be finicky and needing a fine grind.

I have been using a synesso double for years across a few machines and love it (got it with a matched Pullman tamper).

The sunbeam double and breville double boiler double basket are quite decent. Or the EP baskets seems to get a good wrap also.

As long as you don't go more than a double they should all fit I would have thought, the sunbeam double is just shy of the synesso from memory height wise.

Cheers

Thanks for reply. Do you know anyone who has used a synesso basket in the em6910?

Yes, I've heard the VST baskets are tough, although most of those reports were from people switching to VST from another type of basket. I was kind of hoping that I wouldn't have as much trouble since I would be starting with it from the beginning, without the need to "unlearn" bad habits etc. I guess another risk is I would reach the limitations of my entry level grinder fairly rapidly and be unable to get decent results without upgrading, which I'm not in a position to do at the moment.

I would be interested to hear comments from other folks who have used both the OEM and 3rd party baskets in the em6910.

Hey StratosOZ

Where are you? If you're interested I have some 6910 spare baskets you have.

Hi Freddo, that's very kind of you to offer. I'm in Brisbane, so I wouldn't be able to pick up. Unfortunately I have nothing to trade, but I'm more than happy to pay a reasonable amount. Can I PM you?

PM your heart out.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFreddofrog View Post
    PM your heart out.
    Done, thanks Freddo.

I'm still keen to hear what experienced forum members think of using 3rd-party baskets, and which ones they know will fit/work well.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by StratosOZ View Post
    Done, thanks Freddo.

I'm still keen to hear what experienced forum members think of using 3rd-party baskets, and which ones they know will fit/work well.

Cheers!
    G'day StratosOZ

The best two changes I added to a 6910: VST baskets (I have two sites and two complete sets) and a naked p/f. Both changes made a huge difference "in the cup" and the synergy of the pair of them is remarkable.

Just my 2 cents.

TampIt
    PS: I probably have some spare 6910 baskets however, just like Freddo I am in the west. Oh yes - the dual wall baskets are a bad joke.

Quote Originally Posted by StratosOZ View Post
    Thanks for reply. Do you know anyone who has used a synesso basket in the em6910?
    I used a Synesso double (fitted to my Pullman tamper); fitted fine and worked a treat.

With my ECM I find that the Synesso causes the p/f to lock in a bit further around than the stock basket, so the lip must be a bit lower.

Rbn
    I wonder wthat StratOZ ended up with?
    I have added Decent Espresso baskets to my VST and Pullmans baskets.
    All have a use in one place or another.

Apart from the 7gm VST all the baskets seem fine to me and not too tricky to use.
    But now I am lazy, got a set of scales and spring loaded tamper!

Has taken some variablily out of my coffee making.

Good I reckon, but making the morning brew is almost as addictive and expensive as motor racing!