Results 1 to 4 of 4
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By solace
  • 1 Post By solace

Thread: Gaggia Classic - cross threaded brass nut

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    25

    Gaggia Classic - cross threaded brass nut

    Okay, I'm now paying the price for rushing the last part of maintenance!

    Removed the copper pipe from the steam valve to do something else, when I placed the copper back into the steam valve I have managed to cross thread the brass nut and now have a leak at that connection point.

    I have tried realignment by gently moving the nut back and forth in the hope it will land on the right thread (the first 2 threads are the ones that are messed up) but to no avail.

    Not sure if I can use a tap and die as the nut cannot be removed from the pipe?

    I am thinking I need to find a spare (this would be the whole
    copper pipe with nut included) but am open to ideas?

  2. #2
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    15,502
    Is it possible to remove the entire section of pipe?
    If so, once removed, you can sweat the "olive" off the end with the buggered 'nut', replace it with a new one and then silver-solder a new olive back in place. Coffee Parts have a huge array of fittings including olives so you should be able to get what you need.

    If you don't own a suitable 'gas' set to enable you to do the silver soldering, Bunnings, Supercheap Autos ét al have economical handyman sets that will do a good job...

    Mal.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    25
    Thanks Mal, I can definitely remove the section of pipe. I've read a little today about working with copper/brass pipes (never contemplated it before today), what you have said makes sense and seems feasible. I will price up the cost of required equipment against the cost of replacing the part and go from there.
    Dimal likes this.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    25
    Well the economical option was to find the replacement part.

    Though no where near as exciting as the prospect of a trip to Bunnings and some good old workmanship, I at least will be back in microfoam business soon!

    Must say thanks to Greg at Coffee Machine Parts for his help on this, pretty tough component to track down!
    Dimal likes this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •