Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Erimus
  • 1 Post By KizZ84
  • 3 Post By TampIt
  • 1 Post By mikgsxr

Thread: Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000?

Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000?

Hi everyone, I can't seem to find any info on this machine? It is a good price but can it make good coffee? https://www.sunbeam.com.au/Caf%c3%a9-Barista.aspx

I was thinking of pairing it with a Breville Smart Grinder

I currently have an old Jura Impressa S95

Thanks!

Hi mikgsxr, generally appliances aren't well considered around here, so no one will likely be able to give you direct thoughts on this machine at all. Eventually this thread will direct you to a site sponsor to consider other machine options, so don't be surprised when that happens.

Why are you changing from your Jura? What are you hoping to gain/improve/experience with a change of machine?

Hi bud, thanks for the reply. The Jura is getting old, the grinder does not seem to grind as well despite changing settings, the crema is non-existent, just dark coloured water. it does not taste awful but not great either. I just want a nice cup of coffee in the morning and I was quoted $395 to service the Jura...

If you want to stick with Sumbeam you'll be better off paying a bit more and getting the EM 7000 series machine. A better machine altogether, Tampit speaks very highly of it.
    The machine your interested looks like it has double wall filter baskets and the milk frother effort thing looks like a lot of work and a pita to boot. It's what it is a $300 machine. I went through 3 Sunbeam Café Crema's in 2 years, they're just low end appliances.
    Magic_Matt, KizZ84 and mikgsxr like this.

Honestly, this looks like a fully automatic with the added burden of a pressurised basket in a group handle... I'd go one or the other. If you want a budget espresso machine, grab something like the Sunbeam Cafe Crema ii, or Breville BES820XL...
    mikgsxr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikgsxr View Post
    Hi everyone, I can't seem to find any info on this machine? It is a good price but can it make good coffee? https://www.sunbeam.com.au/Caf%c3%a9-Barista.aspx

I was thinking of pairing it with a Breville Smart Grinder

I currently have an old Jura Impressa S95

Thanks!

G'day mikgsxr

Firstly, any espresso machine at this level needs proper maintenance or they will fail early and often.

If you are on a tight budget, I would suggest a secondhand SB 6910 - usually about $200 ($600 new), and even if it needs a $150ish service after a small while (i.e. unusual, but something pretty major). It should give you a better cuppa than either the lower end SBs / Brevilles or your Jura. Oh, add about $15 for a milk thermometer. I think of it as the cheapest "real espresso machine out there".

If you prefer domestic peace and have the budget, the 7000 (mentioned in post above) at about $700 new is a much quieter machine with "newbie idiot proof" milk frothing & an inbuilt milk thermometer (the 6910 is a more traditional frother and is a lot noisier). After that the sky is the limit on machines.

I generally tell people the 6910 is a tougher machine (I encounter several 2008 vintage ones still going strong, including one of mine) which will give you transferable skills to most "trad type" machines. The 7000 has just enough automatics to be beginner friendly, so skill transfer is virtually nil. Most 7000s seem to have a ($50 to $100) reliability issue around the 2 year mark (including mine) - odd without having a common identifiable fault. After removing the initial teething problem/s (never buy version one of anything!) they seem reliable enough. "You pays your money and takes your choice".

Grinders: Same kind of decision - Breville Smartgrinder is more newbie friendly with a batch of electronic smarts and @ $250 is a bargain. The equivalent SBs - EM480 and 500 are noisier, more manual and @ $200ish are a little cheaper. Beyond that - start adding $500 chunks of cash to get any significant performance improvement (I have two Mahlkonig Varios @ $700 each... - see what I mean?).

The other point - Both SB and Breville can be discounted significantly if you can wait. I bought a new 6910 with a 480 grinder for a friend @ $550 in a bundle about a year ago.

Enjoy your cuppa - the rest is irrelevant.

TampIt
    KizZ84, CoffeeHack and mikgsxr like this.

Great info, thanks for the replies. I just found a slightly used rancillio silvia for $400 (3 years old) and there is a place selling the sunbeam 6910 with grinder for $498... Would the Silvia be the better buy if I pair it with the Breville smart grinder? Thanks!
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Great info, thanks for the replies. I just found a slightly used rancillio silvia for $400 (3 years old) and there is a place selling the sunbeam 6910 with grinder for $498... Would the Silvia be the better buy if I pair it with the Breville smart grinder? Thanks!
    Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

Caveat: if it's in serviceable nick. Seems almost suspiciously cheap to me

As an ex Silvia Owner (9 troublefree years, however the maintenance caveat applies double) you have to ask yourself two questions
    1) do you usually make milk drinks? If so - get the SB. If not - your call.
    2) Is anyone careless likely to use it? If so definitely get the SB.

The prob with the older Miss S's is no water level indicator and one fail means a blown boiler at $300++. Every Perth repairer I know have a few casualties "out back". I believe the newer ones (finally - about a decade too late) have a water indicator, so that may be worth checking out. The other Miss S issue (which drives me personally crazy) is that you cannot steam milk and pull a shot at the same time - a deal breaker if you have aspirations to make a decent latte. FYI, I also had a 2 group La Pav (one site) and an Electra manual lever with Miss S (other site). One of the two was always relegated to frothing milk whist pulling a shot with the second machine.

Hope this helps

TampIt

Awesome stuff, I'm no expert so will grab a 6910 today to learn. Maybe a Rancillio or something Italian down the road.