Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By timmyjj21

Thread: Gaggia Classic

Gaggia Classic

Hi all, just wanting some reviews on the Gaggia Classic. I am looking to buy a second hand one for a friend. This will be their first machine. Are they easy to use? ie temperature surfing?? TIA

Will you be buying them a coffee grinder as well? The Gaggia Classic is a bit choosy with grinders when using regular filter baskets. It is a good entry level machine and easy to mod.

yes i'll be buying a grinder. This particular one i'm looking at comes with the Rocky.

Gaggia Classic

Quote Originally Posted by kike10 View Post
    Hi all, just wanting some reviews on the Gaggia Classic. I am looking to buy a second hand one for a friend. This will be their first machine. Are they easy to use? ie temperature surfing?? TIA
    Hi
    I have one and bought it in about 2005. It's a great entry level machine for the making espresso at home and I would highly recommend it for the price, the brass porter filters are heavy and solid and keep their heat well. Just understand that you have either steam or espresso so you can't be a barista on one.

Gaggia Classics are a fantastic entry point. They are basically bomb proof and easily repaired if anything goes wrong. I have not been able to convince myself that an upgrade is worth it, as my Gaggia produces coffee on par with other more expensive HX machines.
    Temperature stability is considered to be an issue due to the small boiler, but this can be remedied by adding a PID, which can be pretty cheap and easy if you are DIY inclined. The Classic is not likely to handle making several coffees in quick succession, even with a PID.
    Important to consider is that every Classic I have seen second hand has had a blown boiler seal! Most owners just don't know about it because the leak is very small and they never open up the machine to check. This is simple enough to fix, and I usually sand the boiler face flat to re-use it, but a new boiler is about $65 plus seals.
    Dimal likes this.

thanks for all the info guys. Really not interested in modifying it. Only one person will be using it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kike10 View Post
    thanks for all the info guys. Really not interested in modifying it. Only one person will be using it. Thanks
    If paired with a Rocky, a stepless mod for the Rocky will make it a good pair with the Gaggia Classic with or without mod.