• 3 Post By Floyd
  • 2 Post By Otago
  • 3 Post By woodhouse
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By Otago
  • 3 Post By Dimal

Thread: Discussion on Flair Espresso

Discussion on Flair Espresso

Will post some interesting links for people that want to learn about and discuss its capabilities

I own it and love it. Every espresso machine regardless of lever or pump based is simply a way to deliver water at a specified temperature and pressure through a coffee puck and this device strips away all of the automation to allow the user to have full manual control of the shots which taste phenomenal the majority of the time when you use the appropriate technique/beans/grinder. All of you wimps that use machines that spoil you with frivolous luxuries like internally heated brew water should hide in shame....
    Crema_Lad, Dimal, matth3wh and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    All of you wimps that use machines that spoil you with frivolous luxuries like internally heated brew water should hide in shame....
    giggled like a schoolgirl! That sounds like a challenge to me. ;-P
    Crema_Lad likes this.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    It looks capable of pulling a mighty fine shot!

How can it do that without a power plug

i have one too. it's amazing. it has stripped my desire to get a home machine. this thing pulls a flavourful and consistent shot.

I just received my Flair yesterday afternoon. I was using the same coffee that my preferred local cafe has been using to make my coffees so I would have some sort of baseline to ascertain whether I was even coming close to what I have deemed to be nice coffee. My first shot was rubbish - the grind was too coarse. I took a cursory sip as my wife and kids forced me to I had a laugh. Yuk. Down the sink. The second shot was ground fine with a firm tamp and pulled over 30 seconds. I must say that I wasn't expecting success so soon. This shot was actually better than my local cafe had been making. I realised that this coffee actually had decent dark chocolate tones and fruit tones, with zero bitterness. Just lovely. Not satisfied that I'd hit the nail on the head, I pulled a third shot - it was the same as the previous - YAY. 18g of coffee, firm tamp, preheating the cylinder twice, water at rolling boil immediately prior to use, 30 second pull, fine grind (only 1 click on my "poor"lex). I'm very keen to grab a Helor 101 now, but will have to wait for the GM signed order from my boss for that expenditure I had a laugh. At face value, it seems like an excellent unit for the price. I'll be playing more tonight!
    LeroyC likes this.

Discussion on Flair Espresso

Its awesome. The inventor continues to develop it and a stainless steel piston and naked pf are going be available soon

awesome! naked portafiltwr would be sweet!

I've been working towards a better shot from my new Flair this last week. It's been a little hit and miss for me - but I'm new to this so am feeling my way through. I retired my Porlex grinder and grabbed a Breville Smart Grinder Pro at a decent price to replace it. This allows me to obtain a MUCH finer grind. So far (as of last night's coffee), the sweet spot seems to be a grind of 18, with a grind time also of 18. Only a moderate tamp and a 30 second pull. I'm using Double Shot Roasters decaf beans currently. The resulting coffee was really nice, with a lot more crema than I've been able to get so far. I'm getting closer to a good extraction!

matth3wh, LeroyC and level3ninja like this.

Do they come with a double and a single walled basket? I assume you are using the single? Considering getting one for when we go camping!

Quote Originally Posted by latte1978 View Post
    Do they come with a double and a single walled basket? I assume you are using the single? Considering getting one for when we go camping!
    there's only one basket for the flair. depending on the coffee, i can fit in a 14-16g dose.

Presume when you ask about "a double and a single walled basket" you are wishing to ascertain whether they are using a pressurised basket. No, there is just the one basket and it is not pressurised. However, the Flair does achieve good extraction, with one component being development of good crema. It will make an excellent espresso machine for camping.

Quote Originally Posted by Otago View Post
    Presume when you ask about "a double and a single walled basket" you are wishing to ascertain whether they are using a pressurised basket. No, there is just the one basket and it is not pressurised. However, the Flair does achieve good extraction, with one component being development of good crema. It will make an excellent espresso machine for camping.
    Yep that is what I was asking. Flair or ROK would be the question now?

I've had both and would recommend the Flair; especially for camping.
    The ROK will deliver an OK espresso, but crema will be more problematic than on the Flair. IMO the Flair has a more robust build quality and will also deliver high pressure much less worryingly than the ROK, which can creak and groan disconcertingly. If there is more than one espresso drinker in camp I would consider getting the extra brew head bundle, which will help speed up the process. The Flair carry case makes this an ideal travel/camping espresso maker and the price, which has now crept down to $200 for the single brew unit, is virtually unchallenged in this market sector. I only bought the Flair as a gap-filler while waiting for the Cafelat Robot to be released, but it has been so impressive it will certainly take something exceptional to be beaten, especially at this price point.

I just searched the cafelat robot - there was a mention of getting up to 11 bars of pressure if you really want - but pulling a decent espresso with 6-7 bars - don't you normally need 9 bars at least?

might be down on quoted pressure but you will find the Flair operates effectively with relatively low lever pressure, so the actual operating pressures will actually be fairly similar. The Robot might not deliver very high pressure but Paul Pratt's reputation for delivering well researched products gives me enough confidence to wait for the Robot. The Robot is effectively a modern adaptation of the Baby Faemina with contemporary materials. The Robot's portafilter basket design will also mean a relatively simple clean up which, for me, will give it an advantage over the Flair.
    ROK, Flair or Robot, they'll all give an espresso that you will be drinking while you would otherwise still be waiting for an electric machine to warm up.
    matth3wh and Choman like this.

Oops, missed "The Robot" at start of first sentence

I love the simplicity of this machine. Does anyone have any solution for milk for latte/cappuccino? Are there any manual frothers that actually work?

Quote Originally Posted by pavelnedobity View Post
    I love the simplicity of this machine. Does anyone have any solution for milk for latte/cappuccino? Are there any manual frothers that actually work?
    my bodum french press does a great job of frothing milk for a cap. check out dritan alsela’s latte art training video - he’s a gun at this method.
    Dimal, matth3wh and level3ninja like this.

You could use a plunger to create microfoam once you've heated the milk. https://youtu.be/c2Bjs5g6n2w not in English but you get the idea.

Edit: Dritan Alsela video mentioned above: https://youtu.be/hywbrms5B1k
    Last edited by level3ninja; 20th October 2017 at 12:03 PM.
    matth3wh likes this.

Update on pressurised basket question

Sorry, lattee1978, on closer inspection of the filter basket my statement that this is not a pressurised basket may need more explanation.

Having looked more closely at the filter basket it is apparent that the base is only a few mill below the filter screen and that only the 5 central holes line up with the 3mm outlet hole in the base of the basket.

However, this differs from what I think is the usual pressurised basket construction where the extraction flows through all of the holes in the filter basket, but then has to pass through a very limited number of holes in the center of the basket floor.

At least on the Flair the exit hole is unrestricted and its 3mm diameter would easily exceed the total area of the restricted number of exit holes in most pressurised baskets.

The Flair might be a bit of a hybrid that takes some of the pressurised basket principles but as usual the proof is in the cup. I still think you need to use good quality fresh roasted beans to get a good extraction. I haven't tried supermarket beans to see whether faux crema can be created ( which is what the pressurised basket is designed to do) .

To be fair to Flair they make it clear that, to achieve good results, amongst the inputs needed are "...coffee beans, freshly roasted within a few weeks of using." They are discouraging use of supermarket beans and therefore, presumably, would not have to incorporate a pressurised basket principle into their design.

The limited space below the screen and the basket floor raises the issue of effective cleaning and I will now be giving my filter basket a regular soak in Caffetto to avoid any rancid build up of oils.
    Dimal likes this.

Loving my Flair...

Mal.
    matth3wh, LeroyC and tampinator like this.