Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 2 Post By noidle22

Thread: Em 6200

Rbn

Em 6200

Has anyone had any experience of this machine, or the EM5900.
    I am wondering if they are a suitable upgrade from my EM 4800c, which I have in my campervan.

I note the EM 6200 has been discontinued and replace with the EM 5600.
    I had 2 of these and the screen/computer failed, hence getting the EM 4800c.

I note both the 5900 and 6200 have "metal" collars as against the "plastic style of the 4800 and 5600.
    I image the "metal" ones are longer lasting.

I recall Luke (noidle22) saying at some stage that the 5900 was the worst machine that Sunbeam had ever made. Can't remember the reasons why sorry. I think you'll find that the guys that know these machines will only ever recommend a 6910 or 7000. Personally I've had some experience with the 4820 and wouldn't hesitate to buy one at a decent price for a spare or work. It's easy to use and with some basic mods can produce a decent coffee. It has the best steam tip of all the Sunbeams and therefor is great for milk. Luke has said they have one weak point (the plastic junction inside from memory) so they can be a bit hit and miss. I gave a 2nd hand one that I'd fixed up to my brother 18 months ago and it's still going strong.
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    Greetings fellow NZ CSer. We are often enough up your way. Just come back from being there for 3 weeks or so.

I had been looking at a 4820 as it looked more substantial than what I have as well.

Many thanks

The EM5900 isn't a bad machine, its the EM5800 i dont like. Seen too many of the boards fail in them. Plus they don't look very good.

The EM5900 and 6200 are both reasonably reliable.
    They use the same thermocoil as the EM6910 machine and a similar heating controller.

The collars are a metal surround but have plastic inserts which can wear out but fortunately they are available as a spare part from Sunbeam.
    The inserts usually last many years anyway.

In terms of them being an upgrade from the EM4800, i would say it would be more like a step sideways rather than up.
    On the plus side you get better steaming and a better steam wand as well as a better thermocoil but you're still stuck with a 51mm portafilter and pressurised baskets.
    If you can get unpressurised baskets then it will show an improvement.

In terms of difference of espresso quality, you're probably not going to notice a whole lot of difference.

If you can get the machine cheap or free and it's working you might as well give it a try, might find that you like it better.
    rawill and LeroyC like this.

Rbn
    Haha Noidle22!

I am way ahead of that!

I ditched the pressurised dual wall baskets ages ago, in preference for the Breville single walled baskets, the Krupps double and one I sourced on Alibaba.
    They work fine paired with and EM 480, on both my EM 4800c and the little Breville Bar Vista my daughter has, courtesy of me!
    She will soon have a Dec 2007 EM 6910, courtesy of me, and be using VST or Pullman baskets.

But many many thanks for your input.

What that means is whereas I was keen to "upgrade" my campervan machine.
    Now I will not be in such a hurry unless a "good deal" comes along.

There was a 4820 for sale for NZ$45.00, the owner said "little use.
    There is a 6200 for sale for NZ$150.00, too much when I only paid NZ$50.00 for the EM 6910 I mentioned above.

However, I am keen on a better steamer, as the gap between the EM6910 and the EM 4800c in that regard is a bit step.
    And when you get the technique right on one machine, stepping to other one leads me into not such good microfoam for a while!

So right about boards, don't know about the others but the EM 5600 boards!
    I had two fail before I stepped down to get a 4800c for our camperan.
    To be fair, one probably failed because I was using a modified sinewave generator to power it.
    But not the second, I never used it in the campervan, only ever on grid power.

Now I have a pure sinewave generator in the van it does not matter what I use.

I will keep your recommendations in mind as I surf Trademe in NZ.

Ah right, the 5800 is the dodgy one. I'd have to agree. I was really disappointed with the 5800 I had. It's a shame as the user interface is easy to use and quite handy, but the machine itself is crap.

Rbn
    I missed the EM6200, it went for NZ$150.00. A bit much when I only paid $50.00 for an EM 6910.

Rbn
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Personally I've had some experience with the 4820 ... It has the best steam tip of all the Sunbeams and therefor is great for milk.
    Got mine today, the 4820 tip!
    Sunbeam take note, it is way more easier to get silky milk, for me anyway!
    Thanks for the tip, and Noidle22 also.

And now that I have my 5600 working, new group head seal, and a good 50/50 vinegar solution clean out it is going just fine.
    Using a Krupps double single walled basket with a naked/bottomless P/F.