Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By level3ninja

Thread: EM 5600 Ressurection - Maybe?

Rbn

EM 5600 Ressurection - Maybe?

It was going then stopped. It sounded like it was trying to work but nothing coming out the group head or steam wand.

I almost threw it out, then today decided to give it another chance.

Warmed up, hot water out, steam wand, group head all worked.
    Then I set it on steam, steamed away like I thought it should.

Set it back to water setting, and it took an age to readjust, could hear what I thought might be the pump working to push water through and cool it,
    but like before nothing worked.

I am going to let it get cold overnight and see if the same pattern appears tommorrow.

I have a home for it if it will work properly.
    Apparently it had little use, sat in the garage before I bought it for $30.00, to get the P/F to make a Naked.

Date stamp says made Oct 2007.

Any suggestions.
    Not going to spend much money on it.
    Last edited by rawill; 31st August 2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Spelling

Possibly a scale blockage on one of the water lines. The scale flakes probably moved along the system enabling it to work then another few flakes came through and jammed it up again.

I usually see the tubes block at the exit of the thermoblock. It's worth opening it up and just checking all of the tubes.
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    Possibly a scale blockage on one of the water lines. The scale flakes probably moved along the system enabling it to work then another few flakes came through and jammed it up again.

I usually see the tubes block at the exit of the thermoblock. It's worth opening it up and just checking all of the tubes.
    Many thanks

You may well be right.
    That would explain the stange behaviour!

It worked as it should last night, and again
    it worked as it should this morning.

I have flushed a strong 50/50 vinegar/water solution through it many times this morning.
    So for now all appears to work as it should.

I wonder if I should put a genuine descaling solution through it.

Noidle22, does the steam system utilize the same thermobloc as the hot water system.
    My reason for asking is I want to leave the solution sit in the steam system for a while to ensure it has descaled.
    I know the EM 6910 has separate systems.

And certainly the steam is not as powerful as a 6910, so it needs to be as good as it can possiby be.

Yes there's only one thermoblock in this machine.

The machine also has more tubes and connections than the standard machines with the steam/coffee knob on the front. As the knob is on the side, there's extra tubes running to and from it, this gives more possible locations for problems.

Rbn
    I understand,
    and as we/you said before, and I have experienced, the screen controls can go bad.

I like the steam/coffee knob on the side because it takes that control away from the heat which the 4800 and others have, and they become hard to turn.

From what I have seen when pulling them apart is the heat degrades the control knob mechanism, mine went a bit brown.

Made an acceptable coffee in it this morning with a breville single walled double.

Still dialling my grinder in for it, seems to need a different fineness setting compared to the EM 6910.

Question, does a finer grind mean a sweeter coffee, seems to my taste that it does?

Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    Question, does a finer grind mean a sweeter coffee, seems to my taste that it does?
    That depends entirely on what the song is before you go finer. If it's too coarse then you're probably underextracting so will be getting a sourer shot, grinding finer will reduce the excessive sourness and increase sweetness. However if you're not underextracting going finer will push you toward overextracting which increases the bitter and burnt flavours. There's a sweet spot inbetween too coarse and too fine that you can move around in, and generally the finer you go within that range you will get more of the sweetness, but some beans are different.
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    It is a very intriguing process. I think I discovered that overfilling the basket, chocked my machine.

It is a double basket I got from Alibaba, it has a "level" mark on it with 2 beside it.
    That means 22gms ground coffee, and it choked, and squirted water out between the seal and the P/F!
    I think, and according to another poster, probably more like 15/16 gms is enough for this little machine.

Rbn
    Thanks guys.

Got to say, I am stuggling to get as good a coffee out of the 5600, or the 4800c compared with the 6910.

When I grind finer, it chokes, then when I back off it goes blond/watery too quickly.
    Iam stuggleing to find the sweet spot.
    I thought I knew what I was doing, but I used to use pressurized baskets with these machines, and as said above, have thrown them away.

Krups 51mm single walled basket, bottomless P/F. (and an Alibaba/Ebay single walled double shot basket)
    Sunbeam EM 440 grinder.