Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 3 Post By Obba
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By Obba

Thread: Breville BES820 -- Taking Ages to Heat the Milk.

Breville BES820 -- Taking Ages to Heat the Milk.

Hello all,

Have been trolling this forum for many days trying to findan answer to our problem. However, we now need to ask for help.

Our Breville BES820 seems to be taking ages to heat up the milkin the cup with the steamer tube.

I put about 1/3 of milk into a cup. Put the steamer tubeinto the cup and turn the lever towards me. The machine goes through that'thud, thud, thud' as it sends steam into the milk and gradually the level risesandthe steam sound starts to go all'bubbly' - if that makes any sense!
    And if I don't turn the lever off, it will then startbubbling over...

From this sound I know when the milk is done.

But lately, after a few weeks it seems to be taking ages toheat the milk and the level of the milk, when it is finally done, is higher.
    Also the 'Water Drop' light is coming on when the milk isclose to finishing.

We never use the left hot water spout which I know you turnthe lever backwards - and that's when that Water Drop light should come on.

I'm a bit of a handyman so I don't mind having a go. I tookthe back plate off to have a look inside and nothing seems out of place. Allvery clean. I used the machine with the back off and could see no leaks or hearanything different.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Alan.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Welcome Alan. Has the machine ever been de-scaled? Is there a noticeable difference in the amount steam discharged if you open the valve and point the wand at the drip tray?

PS I suspect that you've been 'trawling' the site, rather than 'trolling' it
    level3ninja likes this.

Hi obba, are you "trying" to steam your milk in a cup,..or milk jug?

As a veteran of 2 bes860 i would start off doing exactly what BOS has said , first just check the steam hole isnt partially blocked ....then let the steam run for a good couple of minutes. If you stand near you will hear if it spits out any blockage?
    Last edited by slipslopslap; 7th September 2017 at 08:33 AM.

Well B O'S and SSS, I feel like a total fool...

I didn't wan my OP to be too long. Hence I didn't mention that we have owned older model for many years, of which I regularly had to de-scale (cleaning the tube with a small needle like device).

However, on changing to this newer model we had a filter water system fitted and I thought that my de-scaling days were over. Plus the fact that I decided to turn the lever for steam as I cleaned the tube of the dried on milk that would accumulate on the shiny metal - thus in my mind - blowing any blockages out.

But as it seems, I got home and undid the end and hey presto, the opening was small. I cleaned it out and it was a lot bigger... DOH!
    I gave it a quick run and it certainly seems to steaming more...

Tomorrow, I will give it a real world run. I'll let you know accordingly

Regards,
    Alan.

Easy fix is best fix
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    Great result, and keep on descaling with the right product.
    Simply can not have it that you can not enjoy your good coffee!

The coffee was made in good time people!

Once again I feel so silly. Obvious in hindsight. But the twin 2um carbon filter system obviously doesn't stop all the scaling. Plus here on the Gold Coast our water is very good.

However, I now know

Many thanks people for your help.
    Alan.
    rawill likes this.