Thread: Lelit PL41EM tripping RCD

Lelit PL41EM tripping RCD

Hey guys, I currently have a Saeco V.V. and have learnt to be pretty to consistent with the pours from it. Have looked at the possibility of doing a PID mod on it however. But I have come across a used Lelit PL41EM for only $200. The guy is selling it because after having been on for a minute or 2 while heating, it trips the house RCD. Any ideas if this would be a simple fix, and if so should I jump at it, or is there not much gain to be had with this over my V.V.

Sounds like the insulation on something breaks down once over a certain temperature. Probably the heating element, but could be something else. If you or a friend are handy with electrical fault finding and have an insulation resistance testing meter (not a standard multimeter) then you might be able to fix it without too much hassle, or it might be a nightmare. That's the risk you take.

90% chance its a simple fix.
    Keep unplugging parts inside till it doesnt pop the rcd. Then you will know where to look.

Fairly good chance its the heating element which site sponsor JetBlack Espresso sells for $59.

Maybe give Charlie at JetBlack Espresso a call for advice. He has a lot to do with Lelit machines.

Parts diagram for reference if required : https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...view-complete/

Okay so it sounds like it would be simple enough to fix. I have no issues doing electrical work, I’m fairly adept to that. Final question however would be is it a worthy upgrade to the Via Venezia or would it be of negligible benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by Hipsi View Post
    Final question however would be is it a worthy upgrade to the Via Venezia or would it be of negligible benefit?
    Do some online research to compare specs and user comments such as CoffeeGeek - Espresso: Espresso Machines, Lelit PL41 owners thread

Both are small single boiler machines with the Lelit being a step above the VV.

Lelit has better build quality. Lelit has a brass rather than SS boiler, a 3 way solenoid valve rather than VV's pressurised portafilter, 57mm rather than 53mm filter basket size, a brew pressure gauge etc.

I’ve depressurised my portafilter, and the thing has been going strong for over 10 years so I think until it gives up I might just stick with the little V.V.

My out-laws VV is at least 18 years old. Starting to give vague hints it may not make it to the 22nd century. As best as I can tell the Lelit is the closest available to a direct replacement. Funny part is there has literally been no maintenance done to it, they make coffee on it and keep the outside clean, that's it. No servicing, no descaling (Sydney water is pretty good, but not that good!), nothing. Little tank of a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hipsi View Post
    I’ve depressurised my portafilter, and the thing has been going strong for over 10 years so I think until it gives up I might just stick with the little V.V.
    The VV surely has its own unique place in the coffee world. There are a few useful little mods available that may be worth a look.

The later version standard shower diffuser/screen was designed for use with coffee pods and has only partial coverage of the filter basket. A diffuser/screen giving better coverage over the filter basket was standard on the earlier versions. Not sure if this is still available. Quite a few replacement diffuser/screens out there appear to have the larger area coverage but on closer inspection don't.

IMS have one that may work- http://www.imsfiltri.com/docce/sade186/?lang=en
    or maybe http://www.shop.partsguru.com/Saeco-...3plqscsfapp006

Replacing the standard steam arm can give better and easier microfoam. Steaming for 1 cup at a time is best due to the small boiler which is designed for super quick heat-up but trades off steaming capacity. Priming (filling) the boiler before and after steaming helps with this and extends the life of the heating element.

A replacement non-pressurised portafilter is available at a price. If you also need some service spares it may be worth considering as shipping from the USA adds to cost.

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/sa...mm-portafilter
    Last edited by Javaphile; 5 Days Ago at 01:01 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    Replacing the standard steam arm can give better and easier microfoam.
    The better performing replacement Steam Arm for the Via Venezia is the Breville 800ES Part No. 800ES/135.
    Use the standard Saeco cup seals either side of the ball on the wand as the Breville ones are a different size.

The Link I provided was removed due to it being an Ebay link and against forum rules apparently.

Iím using the parts guru ims filter. Works well - cleaner and richer flavours.