Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By flynnaus
  • 1 Post By trentski
  • 2 Post By WhatEverBeansNecessary

Thread: Should I buy a five year old Saeco Syntia?

Should I buy a five year old Saeco Syntia?

First step into coffee machine at home. Really want to be able to make a decent coffee. Found Saeco Syntia five years old for $150 on gum tree. Poster says they bought it for $1400 and has been regularly serviced by a professional. Is this worth it? Any help greatly appreciated for this novice coffee lover

You won't get too many fans of superautomatic espresso machines on here. Too many moving parts. It's only $150 but I would give this a miss. Does 'regularly serviced' mean 'breaks down often'. Reviews on Product Review are weighted to the negative.
    Dimal and tashie like this.

Difficult machines to get a good cup out of when new, be even worse now.
    level3ninja likes this.

Thanks for your replies. Still learning how to navigate the website but if anyone can recommend a machine to keep a look out for that would be great. Thank you.

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    I think what many people here will tell you is that a semi automatic machine in general doesn't produce great coffee. keep in mind most of us on coffee snobs are trying to get a perfect cup and enjoy it as a hobby/obsession rather than a caffeine delivery tool.

With the semi automatic machines you can't control many of the important variables (at least accurately including, tamp, dose, pressure, grind etc). So we tend to lean toward manual machines similar to what you would see in a cafe. The downside to these machines is that usually they are much more expensive and with them you usually get what you pay for - although bargains can still be had!

My opinion, I wouldn't bother with the machine but look for something that is more refined. But you will have to consider what budget you will be able to afford considering you need an entire setup (grinder, tamper, espresso machine etc etc).
    level3ninja and zeezaw like this.

Get a good used 6910. They seemed to be the giant killers a few years ago.
    Or a bes900 or bes920 if the budget stretches that far.
    Team it with a breville smart grinder and fresh roasted beans and let the journey commence

The 6900 is pretty well regarded too. A little less electronics but better milk and stainless lined thermoblock