Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mingus
  • 1 Post By TampIt

Thread: Sunbeam em6910 handle issue

Sunbeam em6910 handle issue

Hi all,

The pourer on the group handle for my em6910 has broken off. It's the bit that separates the coffee when it pours into the cups and usually just screws underneath the basket. Just wondering where you would recommend I look for one and what I would actually call it?

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Mingus.

Sounds like the spout, is the part that broke similar to one of these https://www.coffeeparts.com.au/parts...afilter-spouts

Perhaps a request here will produce results, has the threaded section broken off the base of the portafilter?

Thanks so much Yelta! I thought it might be called a sprout, but wasn't sure.

Really appreciate the help
    rawill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mingus View Post
    Hi all,

The pourer on the group handle for my em6910 has broken off. It's the bit that separates the coffee when it pours into the cups and usually just screws underneath the basket. Just wondering where you would recommend I look for one and what I would actually call it?

Thanks for any help!
    G'day Mingus

As I make standard p/fs into nakeds (i.e. "post holesaw" = no spouts) on all my machines, I would have a few spares for an EM6910 for the cost of postage / delivery. If you are in Metro Perth it is an easy pickup. I would assume any number of CS'r's would be the same. Your other option is to look up "naked p/f's" and make your own - IMO nakeds always make better coffee & improve / verify your technique as a bonus.

TampIt
    rawill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    G'day Mingus

As I make standard p/fs into nakeds (i.e. "post holesaw" = no spouts) on all my machines, I would have a few spares for an EM6910 for the cost of postage / delivery. If you are in Metro Perth it is an easy pickup. I would assume any number of CS'r's would be the same. Your other option is to look up "naked p/f's" and make your own - IMO nakeds always make better coffee & improve / verify your technique as a bonus.

TampIt
    Hi tampit

Curious if you have any photos of your naked P/fs for the sunbeam.

I have an em6910 and considering changing to naked P/fs to improve my tamping game however not sure were to start grinding away

Thanks
    Bowles

Quote Originally Posted by bowles View Post
    Hi tampit

I have an em6910 and considering changing to naked P/fs to improve my tamping game however not sure were to start grinding away

Thanks
    Bowles
    G'day Bowles

Sorry, never bothered to take a photo yet. If tomorrow doesn't turn to schlock I will photo 2 or 3 of the 6910 / 7000 brass ones I have here in daylight. All my stainless ones are in cafes or friends places. I prefer the brass as it warms up as quickly as the 6910 - 90 seconds and you are making coffee from a cold start. The stainless takes 3 to 5 minutes.

Converting to naked: Really easy to do if you have the brass p/fs (SB changed from brass to stainless sometime in 2010). Just get one of the correctly sized holesaws* - use the holesaw from the inside and the p/f will keep the holesaw centred. Cutting fluid will make the process faster and do a cleaner job, however it is not really essential. If you are careful, a vise and a standard drill can do brass - just make sure you have eye protection as you tend to get a lot of spatter if you wind the drill speed up (... guilty your honour, but brass is so soft...I was in a hurry ... and the holesaw was a bit too small...).

The stainless ones can be done the same way as brass but only by using a proper drill press and a really, really good "metal type holesaw" (probably best with a Josco or Sutton) and plenty of cutting fluid. Be aware that the recommended cutting speeds are not very negotiable for stainless. Using a fairly heavy duty metal lathe is much faster and also gives a much better finish without needing to do a final cleanup.

TampIt
    * Originally I took my brass p/f into the local Total Tools and got an exact size match (and some weird looks from two visiting tradies at the time). I am sure any other decent tool shop should have a wall full of holesaws in 0.5 to 1mm steps around the 55mm to 65mm mark. Note that 6910 p/fs actually vary in inside diameter by a few mm, so taking the p/f in and getting an exact (i.e. tight) fit makes the cutting process a lot easier and more precise. Being a tool junkie, I have 6 or 7 holesaws which between them fit any "standard 58mm commercial" p/f. Saves borrowing time on a friend's 6 ton metal lathe. I also use holesaws a lot on other projects so I don't mind the cost of $50 or so for a quality one. YMMV.

Rbn
    Hope you took Tampit's advice and got a "naked P/F". It will really help you improve your coffee making technique. I have done a few of the brass ones. SS ones I have for my 7000/6910 will stay as stock.

But in any case, regardless, get rid of the plastic insert.

Quote Originally Posted by bowles View Post
    Hi tampit

Thanks
    Bowles
    Here are three brass naked p/fs done by me. I don't know if the "internet resolution" photo shows it, however one of them was done at a friend's place using his gear - his "exact fit" holesaw was about 2 or 3mm too small. It has ridges where there should be a flat edge (right one, more obvious in the view from the top). Still close enough to be functional. All three have only had a quick clean up as the coffee should never touch them anyway.

Naked Bottom IMG20180412132207.jpgNaked top IMG20180412131958.jpg

Hi tampit

Thanks for your reply. Tapatalk hasnt been workong properly for me amd just saw it now.

Havent modified my portafilter yet. But the old man has a good drill press guess ill have to give him a visit, using a holesaw sounds much easier than my plan of using a hacksaw. Thanks so much for your help.

Ill keep you posted with my final product

Cheers
    Bowles