Thread: Saeco Via Venezia Espresso leaking...

Saeco Via Venezia Espresso leaking...

Gday All,

I have a wee problem with my little espresso machine. *Its basically dripping from the group head and the steam wand but more from the group head. *This occures just when *its switched on and warming up/maintaining temperature. *Ive run descaler through it but it hasnt seemed to make any difference. *Ive heard that seals on these things can go but havent been able to find anything on the web regarding seals or spare parts for this machine.

Can anyone help or suggest other ways of preventing machine drip?

Cheers. *Fiery.

Re: Saeco Via Venezia Espresso leaking...

How old is the machine, if its a couple of years old it is probably the seals, contact a Saeco dealer is your state and ask about replacement parts.
    I had a VV and the steam wand used to leak but I had no problems with the pf seal.
    Good luck with it..................gm

FS

Is it dripping from the group head with the PF in place, or can you actually see it drip without the PF inserted?
    Group Seals obviously wear out, but if that was the case you should only see leaking when you are actually pulling the shot.
    Otherwise maybe its related to the 3way valve.

If you tighten the steam wand when you finish a coffee session [and everything is warmed up] and then turn on the machine the next day [when everything is cold] you may find the steam wand is no longer fully closed, therefore you will get drips during the warmup phase.

At the start of your session, try tightening the steam wand when you flick on the powerswitch, then see what happens.

Hi Guys,

The group head leaks without the PF in place and when in place and you switch to steam it leaks through the PF (not where it attaches - keeps dripping through the two holes underneath).

Th steam wand allows water through, even when in full steam flow, albeit and small amount but it never used to when I first had it. Its probably 3 years old now and no major servicing I can think of.

I dont mind stripping it down and replacing seals, etc. but one company wanted $150 to do a service on it and I may as well get another machine at that price!

Gday fiery :)

I have a VV too, & fixed the leaking steam wand before by adjusting how far the knob closes. The knob only rotates the shaft into the machine so far, you need to adjust the knob on the shaft so it closes a bit further.

You do this by unplugging the machine, removing the two screws on top to release the top cover, and having a look at the front left of the machine where the steam knob is connected. Youll see a small allen headed screw (aka grub screw) that holds the knob onto the shaft (might need to rotate the knob anti clockwise to see it). Refer pic attached from Starbucks Barista, item is marked "B" in pic.

You need to undo this grub screw a turn or so, rotate the knob anti clockwise an eighth of a turn on the shaft, then nip up the grub screw snug (dont try to overtighten, not needed). This enables the knob to rotate the shaft an eighth of a turn further into the seat inside, which should make it seal properly. If not enough, try adjusting it more. If this doesnt work, the o rings inside may be buggered & need replacing.

Found Saeco to be hopeless to deal with for parts supply, PM me for contact details of a country Vic supplier of parts and repair advice for the VV I have had good mail order service from before. (No connection to me, just a happy customer, non forum sponsor so details not posted.)

Not sure about the leaking from GH, will obviously be something not sealing inside somewhere.

reubster - this machine doesnt have a 3 way valve.

Cheers...............Sean

Hi

the group head is going to leak some water no matter what due to having a full container of water being heater up. Once the water start to get over 65c the water start to expand and the valve spring starts to release some water so the boiler does not rip open.

If your planing to give it a service the parts you will need are, two 140321462 o-ring on the steam tap shaft,145842664 which is the seal for the steam tap rod, 145841500 The group gasket, 149450588 and 126761518 are the valve and spring for the group head. I recommend these parts if you cannot find someone to service for you.
    That said, Saeco is most of the time is out of these part and a few other due to there international parts distributer usually is not able to fulfill their orders.

Coffeetech, could I pick your brain for a minute?

I was steaming some milk on my VV today, & was getting some very fine spitting/slight misting of hot water from the ball joint on the steam wand spitting on my left hand holding the jug. Was only very slight, thought I was imagining it at first, but thats what it was.

Wot dya reckon is going on here?

Cheers..................Sean

Sean -- THANKS -- with one small but crucial correction!

The photo and description were most helpful. However, rotating the knob anti-clockwise only made the problem worse. Rotating the knob about 1/4 turn CLOCKWISE did the trick.

My very leaky Via Venetzia steam wand no longer even drips. Cheers, mate!

Quote Originally Posted by fierysport View Post
    Hi Guys,

The group head leaks without the PF in place and when in place and you switch to steam it leaks through the PF (not where it attaches - keeps dripping through the two holes underneath).
    The Saeco Via Venezia does leak a little water from the group head as it heats up to steam temp as mentioned by others. If it is excessive you can try to remove and clean the area around the mushroom valve which sits above the shower screen screw. The link below has a parts diagram for a Starbucks Barista which is a rebadged Saeco Via Venezia for the USA market. There are also photos of the parts further down the page.

Saeco Espresso Machines, Parts for Saeco and Starbucks espresso machine

Refer to Drawing 2. Remove the Shower Screen screw (No. 48) and Shower Screen (No. 47). Then use a fairly thick tip flat blade screw driver to unscrew the mushroom valve holder (No. 45), which the Shower Screen screw came out of. If you use the wrong size screwdriver you can damage this part so be careful, it should fit snugly. Once it comes loose take care not to lose the spring (No. 44) and mushroom valve (No. 42) which fit above it. When these are removed, flush some water through by pressing the brew button. Check the mushroom valve isn't damaged before replacing.

If it still leaks after reassembling you can then try to stretch the spring a tiny bit to increase pressure on the mushroom valve but don't over do it. If this doesn't work you may need to replace the mushroom valve and spring.

Pressure building up excessively in the portafilter due to grinding too fine, may cause back-pressure that forces very fine particles into the area behind the Shower Screen and possibly near the mushroom valve. Always a good idea to flush through after brewing as well as removing the shower screen and cleaning behind it every now and then.

Great post. This fixed my leaking steam wand. Note if you reset the position too far (more than 1/8th turn clockwise) the machine won't work. Best to note the original position of the dial as 12 o'clock then turn it to 1:30 and tighten screw. Also discovered that removing the turbo pinarello head from the wand gives much better microfoam. Tnx for the post

I agree, managed to fix my issue as well. These are a great little machine and with a couple of mods like the breville steam wand and the Seattle coffee gear upgraded portafilter you can't go wrong.

SLight correction

Anti-clockwise is the WRONG direction for this fix. Rotate the shaft CLOCKWISE! Worked like a champ! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Gday fiery

I have a VV too, & fixed the leaking steam wand before by adjusting how far the knob closes. The knob only rotates the shaft into the machine so far, you need to adjust the knob on the shaft so it closes a bit further.

You do this by unplugging the machine, removing the two screws on top to release the top cover, and having a look at the front left of the machine where the steam knob is connected. Youll see a small allen headed screw (aka grub screw) that holds the knob onto the shaft (might need to rotate the knob anti clockwise to see it). Refer pic attached from Starbucks Barista, item is marked "B" in pic.

You need to undo this grub screw a turn or so, rotate the knob anti clockwise an eighth of a turn on the shaft, then nip up the grub screw snug (dont try to overtighten, not needed). This enables the knob to rotate the shaft an eighth of a turn further into the seat inside, which should make it seal properly. If not enough, try adjusting it more. If this doesnt work, the o rings inside may be buggered & need replacing.

Found Saeco to be hopeless to deal with for parts supply, PM me for contact details of a country Vic supplier of parts and repair advice for the VV I have had good mail order service from before. (No connection to me, just a happy customer, non forum sponsor so details not posted.)

Not sure about the leaking from GH, will obviously be something not sealing inside somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Gday fiery

thanks for this will give it a go.

I assume that the flow of water to both HEAD and WAND results in the pressure to the head being diminished???