coffeesnobs BeanBay
Roasted Coffee | Green Coffee | Tea Tisanes | Cocoa Chai | Snob Wear | Behmor Roaster | & Other Stuff

Thread: ECM Laura A2 - help please!

ECM Laura A2 - help please!

Cafelat Coffee Tamper and Accessories
    This is my first post in this section - I posted my first in the grinder section 3 days ago, regarding my newly acquired Fiorenzato T80, (my first ever grinder), and found the replies very helpful. My other purchase and my first ever coffee machine is a group 2 ECM Laura. Cant find much about them except for a parts diagram. My question is: given that Im new to the home brewed coffee scene and dont want to foul up my machine on the 1st attempt what should I be doing to clean it effectively and what materials are suggested for descaling and cleaning please? Where do I start? The previous owner told me it had been refurbed 8 months ago - but I dont know the extent of it and neither did he. Although the case looks clean I suspect the inside is a different story! I can see on the frother that it hasnt been cleaned and there are coffee grinds on the gubbins that the portable coffee thingy fits tightly onto. Sorry I dont have all the terminology yet - Im working on it! From your experiences what are my first steps with this machine to ensure when its plumbed in and the electrics are fitted up I get a good chance of a decent first shot? I read quite a few threads on grinders and machines before buying the ECM and the general consensus was get a good grinder first - hence the T80! Im currently working on fitting new blades and new plexiglass for the doser and want to make sure the ECM is up to scratch before putting my first home ground in - but - I dont want to totally strip down yet! All replies gratefully received - especially if you have a copy of a user manual? Please help me - thanks!!

Re: ECM Laura A2 - help please!

Hi Moredimensions,

Wow, what a first machine! The grinder will be up to the job. Dont worry too much about the hopper, youll be grinding on demand at home anyway. (ie only grinding what you need when you need it)

First off if it aint broke dont strip it down, it will just create headaches. Get it plugged in (is it 10,15 or 20amp? this makes a diff and you might need a dedicated circuit install by a sparky, they can check out your machine while they are there... safety first!) and plumbed up (some run from tank water, others only mains, depends on the pump I think) and make sure it works first. Then you probably should give it a clean.

I use Cafetto Espresso Clean to clean the group handles, baskets and to back flush, which you will need a blind filter for.

Cafetto also have a descaler, as do Bombora <<--- sponsors over there. Someone familiar with the machine might help you defermine whats required.

Post up where you live, a CSer might live near by and be able to help. Whatever you do, relax, take it easy. Enjoy the experience.

Im sure some csers more experienced with your 2grp will be along soon to help. ;)

Re: ECM Laura A2 - help please!

Many thanks for the tips Lacehim - much appreciated. Yeh - I already have a blind filter for backflushing - forgot to mention that! Ill work on getting the sparks for the electrics and the plumber before serious cleaning - at least Ill be able to backflush and enjoy my first shot! Hoping to get a machine specific cser to give me tips too - maybe not many ECM Laura A2s out there? No rush yet still waiting for my grinder parts to appear. 8-)