Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: FAEMA 2 GROUP - value at about $350

Re: How long do rotary pumps on commercials last

Quote Originally Posted by Wushoes link=1181737511/0#9 date=1181742850
    Quote Originally Posted by ozscott link=1181737511/0#5 date=1181741392
    I think its a Procon based on the diagram on coffee parts, but its a bit hard to tell...the manual isnt much help because apart from a picture that isnt from the same angle as those on coffee parts it just calls it a positive displacment pump (that means vein in this context I think) - it does say that it must be connected to mains at 6 bar, so it may not be able to self prime....I was concerned because I had described what happened to Sparky and he made the point that my pump could be damaged....I then googled and read up and sure enough most people seem to say that the pump will fail or will at least be damaged if run dry at all (Sparky thought for more than about 30 seconds)... it didnt start making noise...was very quiet. *Until it runs for a couple of days on mains however I will be on tenterhooks.

Cheers matey.
    I wouldnt worry...30 seconds is nothing. It will take much more than 30 seconds to kill it.
    What do you base that on Wushoes? The thing is spinning at about 1400 rpm, so will have cranked up about 700 complete revolutions. If there is little or no lubricant, that can really do some damage.

I based my estimate on my conversations with a coffee tech with more experience than you can poke a stick at. From experience he said about 30 sec dry running will ruin a pump. He offered that after I asked him to be more explicit after he told me they die really quickly without water. So thats where I get my estimate from.

Cheers,

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott link=1181737511/0#6 date=1181741441
    it espressed some water each time except for the last time (the shortest runs) which let out steam from the group
    From this last observation from Oz I dont think the pump was running dry for that entire time Sparky but as with everything, time will tell,

Mal.

Hi Mal,

Youre hopefully right. The pump would have initially had water in it, so it may be fine.
    I was just putting it out there for the forum that 30 sec is about how long it takes to kill a pump if you run it dry (according to Wayne Baker, a very experienced coffee tech).
    I hadnt actually told ozscott that his pump was dead. That remains to be seen. I know that sinking feeling when you think you may have destroyed a pump. I went through two pumps in my Pav and had to get a new one from coffeeparts.

BTW, my pump with the damaged seals still runs silently. It just cant hold 9 bar output or draw water from a reservoir anymore.

thanks fellas - I appreciate the assistance. It will be plumbed up tomorrow so I will post back then!!!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky link=1181737511/15#15 date=1181805643
    Hi Mal,

Youre hopefully right. The pump would have initially had water in it, so it may be fine.
    I was just putting it out there for the forum that 30 sec is about how long it takes to kill a pump if you run it dry (according to Wayne Baker, a very experienced coffee tech).
    I hadnt actually told ozscott that his pump was dead. That remains to be seen. I know that sinking feeling when you think you may have destroyed a pump. I went through two pumps in my Pav and had to get a new one from coffeeparts.

BTW, my pump with the damaged seals still runs silently. It just cant hold 9 bar output or draw water from a reservoir anymore.
    Wholeheartedly agree Mark,

I was trying to be slightly more optimistic given that there was "some" water observed pumping through the system. Fingers crossed :-?,

Mal.

The pump in my Cimbali M28 has survived through 15 years in a commercial setting followed by over 2 years of sitting unused which froze it up. I was able to break the pump free with a pipe wrench whereupon while being a bit noisy it has performed flawlessly now for two and a half years with no signs of any leaks and able to hold a rock steady pressure. :)

Java "Quality pays for itself" phile

....Bugger...live and learn.

I plumbed it all up. Heard the water flooding in.

Started pump...9-10bar!!!!....quiet....10 seconds later....7 bar and waivering....another 10 seconds 4 bar....just above zero then with pump making not good noises....

Pulled the pump off motor as Pedro at coffeeparts suggested...she is tight as a fishes bottom. Tried putting CRC into the bush and then spun it over (cranked it really - no spinning) with pliers for about 5 mins....bit more free but not a lot...stuck it back on and little better for about 10 seconds then back to zero!

I will order a new pump.

Cheers

New pump - Part no.: 700009 from coffee parts - my luck I have the older style bolt on jobby not clamp on - only about twice the price for my version...

Pedro was a great help and it will arive on Monday.

I will stick it in and give it a whirl and get back into the thing.

Cheers

Milk taint in boiler

I noticed that the steam and hot water from the faema have a slight taint and discolouration - presumably the wand wasnt always purged and she has drawn some back into the boiler....is there an easy way to get rid of this or is it take it into the backyard and take off some boiler fittings and flush with hose and acid etc....

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Re: Milk taint in boiler

Good flush mate. The milk is cooked and lines the inside of the boiler.

ozscott,

Bad news.... looks like Sparky was correct. I have heard that they die really quickly if run dry- but I really thought it would survive those short bursts as there would have been some residual water in the pump.

Ive been very careful.... and that is obviously wise.... but an expensive lesson otherwise :( :( :(

There can be a couple of causes for milk taint. The most common is for milk to be drawn back up the steam wand to the valve, where it cooks and produces some interesting smells and sediments. The worse case is if the milk has been sucked back into the boiler. It then gets into the boiler walls and is really hard to remove. If that is indeed the case Id flush the boiler first and refill it. If the water from the hot water tap has an off flavour it may be boiler contamination. Otherwise if it is just the steam with an off smell, it is most likely the valves.

Getting milk taint out of the boiler is really tough. Essentially youll have to descale the boiler thoroughly until only fresh metal remains, then season the boiler for a few days by running it until the metallic taste subsides.

In operation its easy to get milk sucked back to the valves, as simply steaming milk will cause this to happen as, after the valve is closed, the steam in the wand will cool and condense, drawing air and any remaining milk back up to the valve. Thats why its important to clean the milk off the steam wand ASAP and give it a good purge.

Drawing milk back into the boiler is hard as it requires the machine to be switched off and if the anti-vacuum valve is old and sticky, the vacuum generated in the boiler will try to suck anything in to it, including milk and grunge through the steam wand. With good cleaning practise this should never happen.

So Id try flushing and refilling the boiler a few times first and go from there.

Cheers,

Mark.

Sory to hear it mate. Lesson learned I guess.

Once youve finally gotten it up and running youll soon forget these initial teething problems.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mmmm,

Bad luck mate... had my fingers crossed for you but there you go. As a matter of interest, what make of pump was/is fitted to the Faema?

Mal.

Thanks Mark - when you say flushing do you mean bringing it up to temp, then using the hot water wand to bleed out the boiler until steam comes out and then re-fill the boiler and repeat?

Cheers

Re: FAEMA 2 GROUP - value at about $350

Thanks Andy,

I will have a look.

As part of the next intallment my pump siezed through my own fault. I pulled it out (surprised at the access) and turned it with pliers and lubed as best I could with CRC, then Inox then Lanotec) and then turned it over some more. Put it back and it worked for a bit and then dropped in pressure to zero over time. Left it for a couple of hours, started the pump because I had purged the boiler and walla....5-6 bars of pressure holding to fill the boiler. I then brought it up to temp and wadya know it sits on 9 bar with no waivering!

I then started grinding and even when I ground to fine it held about 11 bar without waivering and the pump is quiet again (whereas today when I had problems it was noisy).....I used a grind which stalls the Sunbeam and yet gave me a 25 second or so (approx - didnt time that one) pull on the double.

Im away!!!!

Only trouble is that I ordered the Pump at $327 odd off Pedro at Coffeeparts...I rang this PM and he wasnt there, but they said they would hold off the courier sending it up. So it looks like I will be able to refund it for now and see how the pump goes. Pedro did mention that if I got it working it might only work for a month or so....but given Javaphiles comments I might do a bit better if I am lucky.

The thing is steaming monster! I did ok with the foam, but I am well and truly still learning!

Its interesting how the same grind setting can stall the Sunbeam and yet flow on the Faema... I thought pressure was pressure.

Its a monster....but I love it already. The only thing Im not looking forward to is getting rid of the slight taint that it has in the water from the water tap and the slight smell the steam has....metalic smell.

Cheers all.

Doh! Now youre out of pocket by about -$11,000! ;D Good luck!

ozscott,

There is normally a drain somewhere on the machine (mine is at the bottom of the boiler fill sight glass.....)

Let it cool down, open the drain and let ALL the water out..... Close the drain... then refill with fresh water (I presume there is a two position power switch - the first position will allow the boiler to fill (the pump will run)... the second position also turns on the heaters. DONT TURN ON THE HEATERS UNLESS THE BOILER IS FULL.

When the boiler is full, open the drain.... repeat several times to flush the boiler as well as you can.... and if this doesnt work its a strip down job :( :(

ozscott....

Sounds like you might have saved yourself some pennies....

Hope it keeps working for you.

The 11 Bar is a bit high however.... should hold at 9 bar even when backflushing. You might need to adjust the over pressure valve (part of the pump assembly)...

Fingers still crossed that the pump is OK.

When the grind is at stall fineness or using the backflushing blind its up at about 11 bar...when doing a normal pour its at the high end of 9 - whats the best way to adjust the over pressure...I seem to recall a little screw somewhere, but my memory is that it is on the pump motor not the pump...will have to pull apart again...is it anti-clockwise for backing off the pressure?

Cheers

I will have a look - thanks mate...as always I greatly appreciate the help.

Cheers

In the photo of the front of the machine on page 2 of this thread you can see on the bottom left under the drip tray is a little knob about 3/4 of an inch in diameter. It has a picture of a tap with a drip coming out...its attached to what looks like brass valves and there is a circuit coming out also...its not covered in the manual...anyone know what it is?

Cheers

On most pumps there is a screw on the side next to one of the pipe fittings (which also has a lock nut so it doesnt move on its own).

Generally unscrewing (anti-clockwise) reduces the pressure. The pressure is relieved back to the pump input, and the setting is the difference between input and output pressure.

If the previous owner had a 3.5 kPa pressure regulator and you are connected direct to the mains at say 5.5 kPa (1 kPa is approx 1 Bar).... the input pressure is 2 Bar higher..... therefore the output will also be 2 Bar higher - 11 Bar!!!

Dont know what that knob is....

The boiler drain is normally into the drip tray - so that you can drain the boiler whilst the machine is plumbed in..... and the waste water just goes down the drain.

Thanks mate - I got the water filter and the pressure non-return (and possibly pressure regulator valve) with the machine - ie I dismantled it and plumbed it in at my place...so it should all be the same...if anything the water pressure at my place would be less than his. When I pull the right shot is 9 bar....is it a problem if it can go higher on backflush and stalling grind?

Cheers

PS. The book has an obscure reference to the knob as being connected to the valve unit. The valve unit has a solenoid valve actuated by the pcb card in the control box - the card activates the solenoid valve and switches on the pump and allows passage of the water until the correct level is reached - I am guessing that the knob allows the water level to be adjusted, but I can turn mine and it doesnt seem to make any difference

Thanks all - really appreciate the help and the moral support.

Here is a paste from my Faema main thread:

"As part of the next intallment my pump siezed through my own fault. I pulled it out (surprised at the access) and turned it with pliers and lubed as best I could with CRC, then Inox then Lanotec) and then turned it over some more. Put it back and it worked for a bit and then dropped in pressure to zero over time. Left it for a couple of hours, started the pump because I had purged the boiler and walla....5-6 bars of pressure holding to fill the boiler. I then brought it up to temp and wadya know it sits on 9 bar with no waivering!

I then started grinding and even when I ground to fine it held about 11 bar without waivering and the pump is quiet again (whereas today when I had problems it was noisy).....I used a grind which stalls the Sunbeam and yet gave me a 25 second or so (approx - didnt time that one) pull on the double.

Im away!!!!

Only trouble is that I ordered the Pump at $327 odd off Pedro at Coffeeparts...I rang this PM and he wasnt there, but they said they would hold off the courier sending it up. So it looks like I will be able to refund it for now and see how the pump goes. Pedro did mention that if I got it working it might only work for a month or so....but given Javaphiles comments I might do a bit better if I am lucky.

The thing is steaming monster! I did ok with the foam, but I am well and truly still learning!

Its interesting how the same grind setting can stall the Sunbeam and yet flow on the Faema... I thought pressure was pressure.

Its a monster....but I love it already. The only thing Im not looking forward to is getting rid of the slight taint that it has in the water from the water tap and the slight smell the steam has....metalic smell"

I pulled about another 6 doubles and did some chemical backfushing with the blind again tonight and the pump is quiet and strong with anwaivering 9 bar pulling properly ground, dosed and tamped shots and 9 bar going to 11 bar with the blind filter.

CHEERS!!!!

Mal - its the expensive one!!! The one that is not clamped but bolted to the motor by 2 inch long bolts. The pump says Faema Italy on the end plate, but Pedro from Coffeeparts says that its Procon Italy with a Faema endplate on it - re-badged in other words.

Cheers again.

are you using the Faema baskets? my guess is they are smaller then the sunbeam so you are actually using a smaller dose. hence why you can grind finer.

no mate - they are ridged and so my pullman tamper does not like them - I am using the Sunbeam ones.

Cheers

Yep, there should be a drain tap somewhere near the bottom of the machine.

Drain out the boiler a couple of times and see how it looks. As JavaB said, there should be a two position rotary switch that can be used to disconnect the element so that the pump can be used to fill the boiler.

Thanks Mark - yep the main switch on the front of the machine is 2 position - one for fill and the other for element and all systems go.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott link=1181202738/120#120 date=1181903257
    Mal - its the expensive one!!! The one that is not clamped but bolted to the motor by 2 inch long bolts. The pump says Faema Italy on the end plate, but Pedro from Coffeeparts says that its Procon Italy with a Faema endplate on it - re-badged in other words.

Cheers again.
    Thats the best arrangement anyway Oz, much more durable and rugged arrangement than the V-Clamp so is virtually a life-long proposition, Anyway, you must be bloody pleased that the pump seems to be back in the land of the living... great news.

As for longevity, the main thing to keep an eye on (the pump) is that water leaks dont start appearing from around the shaft seals. If you do start to notice this then you really will need that new pump so will keep the fingers and toes crossed for you mate. If it hasnt started leaking after a week or so of use, then Id say youve got away with it and the pump assembly has got away unscathed.

I think your main concern is going to be the Milk Taint in the Boiler though, bugger about that but with persistence this will be overcome too. You didnt expect to get away completely scott-free with your $350 purchase of an $8,500 machine did you ;)... just kidding mate :P. Im not absolutely certain but Im fairly sure that I read from one of Marks (Sparky) posts a few months ago, that a strong Sodium Hydroxide solution is a very effective weapon to use against organic contaminants in a Boiler and elsewhere. Im sure he will confirm this one way or the other for you though, chemistry is not my strong suit.

Youre certainly running the gamut of some of the potential issues that can strike the purchaser of a 2nd-Hand commercial machine Oz, although you have come through relatively unscathed so far, and I hope thats what happens with the Milk Taint too. A truly extraordinary find youve got there mate, I still cant get over it ::),

Cheers mate,
    Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott link=1181202738/120#122 date=1181906544
    no mate - they are ridged and so my pullman tamper does not like them - I am using the Sunbeam ones.

Cheers
    The ridge isnt so much the problem as the diameter. Sunbeams basket are on the large side of normal so theyre less likely to fit other baskets.

Greg

Look on the bright side...You can still use the machine to pull espresso, even if the boilers got milk taint. As long as youre not steaming, or using the hot water outlet its fine :)

Thanks Mal, Greg and Nunu - the thing about the HX if it cant steam in particular its not a goer, so I will do my best to get it sorted.

I found a drain plug (heavy brass nut) on the bottom of the boiler - unscrewed it and its end was covered with whitish scale (lime scale?)...but water didnt come out....poked up there with the sharp end of a plastic cable tie - met a small amount of resistance and then the water started coming out - I think I can take it as gospel from all that that the inside of my boiler is covered with this crud!

.....arrrrrgh.....

I wonder if there is a way of feeding in descaling solution in situ and draining it out using the drain plug...

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott link=1181202738/135#135 date=1181948222
    I wonder if there is a way of feeding in descaling solution in situ and draining it out using the drain plug...
    Some people pour it in the overpressure valve on top and then run the elements just long enough to get the water near boiling. After sitting for awhile they then drain and repeat as needed.

Ive heard some claim that by completely filling the boiler, leaving the overpressure valve off, they can clean the entire boiler in situ.

If the buildup is only in the boiler and the drain is in the boiler this might work.

Java "Then again it might not! phile

Thanks Java....I noticed a lot of milky water coming out of the drain plug and quite a bit of grey sediment...and when I moved the machine back and forth I could hear the sediment - its hardish.

I have leary of removing the OP valve due to what it is and what it does...mine has a seal on it to show if its been removed!

I wonder if taking off the feed pipe would work---will investigate it. Pedro mentioned that its a stick it in the driveway jobby.

Cheers

Im a bit surprised theres not a tap to drain the boiler. Using a plug with an 11 l boiler will be messy.

Descaling insitu is definitely an option. Id contact Wayne baker about it though. There are some potential problems, such as the descaling acid acting on the element at a different rate causing it to fail prematurely.

Id personally opt for the insitu descale, as I doubt youvve got a lot of scale anyway, and the scale youve got may be the variety that is dissolved easily by acid.

Id definitely contact a professional tech first as this is their bread and butter stuff.

Good news about the pump though. My guess is that the boiler will clean up pretty easily.

Also the metallic taste doesnt sound like milk taint. As Mal said, caustic soda will remove most organic residues without doing anything harmful to the boiler, but Id only consider this option as a last resort. Do a routine descale first and see where that leaves you.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hhhmmm....Personally if I could hear detached scale sliding around in my boiler Id do a complete teardown of the whole plumbing system and thoroughly descale it all.

Java "Better safe than sorry!" phile

ozscott,

Yep, Im with Java on the scale problem.... if there are bits sliding around in the boiler Id be doing a teardown.... thats one reason I also dont like the in situ descale..... you cant see if you have removed all the scale - some might just be softened and come loose from the boiler walls and fittings.

Hard scale on the walls could probably be left (wouldnt be my choice) but probably wont cause any problems - and most commercial machines in Cafes are probably like that.

Loose bits of scale however can get into all sorts of undesirable places and block things up.

As Java said - better safe than sorry!

Thanks all - will have to do it bu the sounds of it....I am reluctant simply because of the risks of breaking fittings/not getting them water tight again when re-fitting etc, but I guess thats just the risk of doing the job. Perhaps a bit of heat might help get fittings off.

When reassembling is it best to use thread seal (painted on) and if so what type.

I assume that I should pull down the 3 way valves as well - pretty much anything that can come apart should I suppose.

For now I will keep using it because I am getting used to the pours and they are turning out really well....I know now what you good people where going on about with the quality of the shots! Pulling a single short black and drinking it is a different experience from the EM. The EMs shots are good, but there is generally a hint of either bitterness or acidity....the Faema so far is balanced on the tongue and sweeter by quite a measure.

I really like the hot water wand that cranks out the water very quickly....good for heating glasses and washing down the PF.

The Steam is just madness...using a temp guage is funny because it climbs like a tacho! No room for error.

There is the base for a milk frother (auto) on the other end of the machine (right side) so I might get a replacment wand and ball joint from Coffeeparts when I strip it down, and replace the auto frother with that, but use only a one or 2 hole tip, so that I can use that one with very small amounts of milk and use the monster 4 hole for larger jugs....

Cheers

re fittings I would imaging that a good set of flare nut spanners are important to prevent rounding off soft brass nuts. that said Ive never worked on a coffee machine before.

Use of a flare nut spanner (or a brake wrench as theyre called in these parts) is a really good idea. A really good idea! :)

I wouldnt use any thread sealer. If the fittings are the usual ones seen in most commercial machines none will be needed. I didnt use any at all when I tore down and rebuilt my M28 and had no problems. :)

Java "Arent new toys fun?!" phile

thanks fellas - really appreciate the assistance....I just stretched a litre of milk for coffees and kids hot chockies.....unbelievable steaming - and micro-foam!!

Cheers again...will post some pics of productions soon.

I changed bean and now Im back to school on this machine....with the EM6910 I never experienced wet pucks or channeling....I have had some of both tonight.

In the EM I overdosed a bit, but I am trying to steer away from this in the Faema because I understand that these machines dont need it....so perfectly level with the little finger and then 30 pounds of tamp pressure and its about 6-7mm below the rim...does that sound about right..?

Cheers

...getting better. I made mugs of cappacino this afternoon for 6 adults and 3 hot chockies using one massive jug that about a foot long and the 2 groups - this is what this tiger is really for....and it rocks! I love doing all that milk in about 35-40 seconds at a guess. And pulling the shots at the same time is excellent value. I am getting consistent 30 seconds shots today, but interestingly I notice that there is some water left on the top of the puck when I extract the PF....I can only assume that its because I dont overdose and some unpressurised water is left...whereas on the EM I well overdosed. Anyway the shots start off with drips progressing quickly to tails and then into the pour with very dark crema.

Sweet.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott link=1181202738/135#146 date=1182060493
    ...getting better. *I made mugs of cappacino this afternoon for 6 adults and 3 hot chockies using one massive jug that about a foot long and the 2 groups - this is what this tiger is really for....and it rocks! *I love doing all that milk in about 35-40 seconds at a guess. *And pulling the shots at the same time is excellent value. *I am getting consistent 30 seconds shots today, but interestingly I notice that there is some water left on the top of the puck when I extract the PF....I can only assume that its because I dont overdose and some unpressurised water is left...whereas on the EM I well overdosed. *Anyway the shots start off with drips progressing quickly to tails and then into the pour with very dark crema.

Sweet.

Cheers
    Is there a screw and shower screen impression on the puck? That would indicate if you have enough coffee- can be hard to see on a wet puck. Maybe more coffee one click coarser on the grinder- all things to play with! Alternatively you may need to backflush as the three way valve may be blocked. And the real question is- how do they taste?
    Brett

Thanks mate - they taste great...very sweet shots so I must be getting dialed in to the new machine.

Cheers

I cant help but get the impression that you are really enjoying yourself Oz..... These lovely commercial machines seem to bring out the best in us snobs ;D

Mal.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast