Thread: ECM Michelangelo

ECM Michelangelo

We are thinking of buying an ECM Michelangelo A2 for sale second hand for $1000. Is this too risky? Or should we save for a Giotto with a warranty. We are upgrading from a Gaggia Classic, so I guess either would be an improvement.

Re: ECM Michelangelo

Buyng 2nd hand is risky if you dont know the machines history. If you can get a demo of the machine, and its working fine, then you know youre at least getting a working machine. However, things do break and with a 2nd hand machine you dont know when that will be.

If youre comfortable working on your own machines, then 2nd hand is a great way to go, as espresso machines arent too hard to fix. There are a lot of tinkerers here that have gone that route. However if you just want to buy a machine and have it work, without any hassles, then I suggest buying new. The price you save on a 2nd hand machine can easily be spent in expensive service/repair costs.

BTW: The Gaggia Classic can make very decent espresso, but steaming milk is poor. Once you steam with a HX machine youll appreciate this.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks Mark, yes that was my gut instinct. Will be wiser to invest the $ into a machine I know will work to avoid heartache.

Banned

Buy it!!! The ECM Michealangelo is a german tank and a whole different kettle of fish to the Giotto. If it is the millenium version then you are getting 17L of boiler in the 2 group, which is massive. They produce great coffee, time after time after time, and heaps of steam. If it works (get a demo) than its a bargain, new they are $7800. Even if you spend $1500 fixing it, you have only spent the same amount as a Giotto and have 10 times the machine.
    However, if you are planning to put this on your kitchen bench just remember, it takes up a large amount of real estate. I have a 3 group Michealangelo with the 27L boiler, all I can say is it gives dual boilers a run for their money!!! This machine is currently my cafe machine of choice!

Bon

$1k is a steal if its in good condition... Id get it checked out by someone before buying though.

I have the little cousin, Veneziano A1.. nice machine.

I bought a second hand commmercial, and it turned out in perfect condition! 1000 dollars is cheap, and repairs will no doubt be less than 1500, unless everything died at once, but of course, get it checked out, if possible, by a technician. I got mine bench tested for little more than $50, and I was good to go! It really was worth the extra effort for the benifits of a commercial machine.

it is simply the added horsepower it has over a prosumer machine, the Giotto will still satisfy, but it just seems that at $1000, the michelangelo will be more bang for your buck.

Check it out first though!

Ill second Pioneer Roasters comments. $1000 for a commercial 2-group in good condition is very good.

Can you see/hear it running?

If it sorely needs a lot of TLC -- and the expensive parts which go with that -- Its still good, especially if you can do it yourself.

-Robusto

I was also fortunate enough to find an ECM Michelangelo A2 within a 2 hour drive. *The steal of the century at only $100. *The owner just wanted it out of the restaurant kitchen where it had been sitting for 5 years, never connected. *I am currently taking it apart for cleaning and minor part replacement (seals, o-rings, tubing, etc...) *Will repost when I have some progress to report. Ive attached a pic of the machine before the dismantling. The boiler inside this beast could run a small steam powered car!

Pic of the machine from the front.

Nice going Sam great bargain , they sure are a beast of a machine the weight in them is incredible , I just basically finished rebuilding mine and Im having to sell it as ive been offered a job in Tasmania and cant take it with me, :( i finally got around to reassembling it and im not even going to get a chance to test it , which is killing me . Looks sexy as now in red too .
    Steve

Front group 3 ECM Michelangelo

Wow! *Thats some nice work! *Congratulations on the job and condolences on selling your rebuild. *Mind if I pick your brain for tips as I progress? *I just got it almost down to the frame this morning. *I need to take the rest of the electrical out and separate the stainless parts from the chassis. *What did you use for shining up the stainless?

Heres a shot of her with the guts all over the workbench. *I think the Big Fat Fun banner in the background pretty well sums it up.

Forgot the pic

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7C455F62585F565D546241545455310 link=1182470810/11#11 date=1282249830
    Heres a shot of her with the guts all over the workbench. *I think the Big Fat Fun banner in the background pretty well sums it up.
    Naaaa

The Fishing gear looks to be OK and all light and fine work...

THEN

We see the quality of the workmanship on the coffee machine.. Still amazed ya could get the 1/4 and 3/8 nuts off with that ADJUSTABLE spanner..

That is the sort of thing we would carry out bush or in the cabin of a D series not for general work *;D :D ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 6D424B495E614D424D4B49414942582C0 link=1182470810/13#13 date=1282261927
    That is the sort of thing we would carry out bush or in the cabin of a D series not for general workGrin Cheesy Wink
    Keep in mind the old bushy saying AM, dont use force get a bigger hammer. ;)

Yeah, I had to get creative at times on the large nuts as my crescent wrench set was lacking on the upper end. *Both sets are obscured in the picture by the boiler. *The big spanner was also good for beating the rats to death that were living beside the pump. * :-? *It appears the rodents have been long gone, but left a nice little nest of shredded sugar packets and droppings galore. *A pretty decent collection of bug parts was found under the main power box under the drip tray as well. If I hadnt decided to rebuild this, it would have been mildly unhealthy at the very least.

I now have it down to the bare metal frame with all the fittings, electrical wiring, etc... removed. *Ive scrubbed it down and now I am sanding the few very minor rust spots before I prime and paint. *Then, its on to the acid bath with the copper and brass parts.

My wife thinks this whole project is insane, but I think I finally found a response that makes sense to her. *"No man whos ever restored a classic car was in need of transportation." *;)

Just a couple of newbie questions:
    1) Do you use any kind of thread compound to ensure a better seal between the plumbing connections? I noticed some white residue during dis-assembly. Would teflon tape suffice or should I look for something rated for higher temperatures?

2) Ive left the few riveted parts on the base (Boiler mounts), but I have considered removing them and replacing with appropriate hardware. Anyone else do anything similar?

The rebuild is coming along nicely.* Took it all the way down to the frame which was sanded and then primed and repainted.* Cleaned up all the tubing and the boiler with citric acid and steel wool.* Polished the stainless with a super fine grit car polish which didnt get it back to a mirror shine, but was a great improvement.* Im just waiting on some gasket and o-ring replacement parts and it should be ready for initial testing within a month or two.

Front

Mmmm, noice..... 8-) 8-)

Mal.

Maybe even beyond "noice"... I would say abso-"F" ing-lutely incredible !!!

Let me know if you detail cars as well... mine could use a bit of tidying up ;D

Finished her up this week. :D I havent had a chance to test it yet, but I expect things to work well as no spare parts were found in the hardware bin. Ive got a friend who owns a local coffee shop who will let me borrow their water / power connections to test it out. If all goes well, I plan to have the panels painted Ferrari red to give a nod to her Italian heritage. Heres a few pics of the reassembled state.

Top shot of the internals

Runway view of the group heads. As I discovered during dis-assembly, one of the steam wands had been broken off at the ball joint, so I replaced it with a stainless steam pipe. It looks better than the original equipment.

Beautiful!

Let us know how [s]she[/s] he works!

Greg

Ive got a Veneziano A2 and it has been a very solid and reliable unit. Highly recommend!!