coffeesnobs BeanBay
Roasted Coffee | Green Coffee | Tea Tisanes | Cocoa Chai | Snob Wear | Behmor Roaster | & Other Stuff
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slayer Espresso Machine

Slayer Espresso Machine

Cafelat Coffee Tamper and Accessories
    Just another machine to add to the wish list.

Two words with this machine - PRESSURE PROFILING 8-)

The design is deadly, and the Peruvian Walnut Actuators are simply delish. Its designers/manufacturers have quite the pedigree to produce a killer machine. I guess its a Synesso Hydra competitor having individual pumps etc. Its great to see people pushing the boundaries of espresso brewing.

Google Slayer Espresso and check out their blog for more details.

Now wheres that drool smiley?!

Re: Slayer Espresso Machine

yeah - was looking at this the other day. Looks awesome.
    Was chatting to the Barista at the Brunswick East Project, and he was telling me Slayer is a new company started by the some of the founders of Synesso.

Would be interesting to get more verify that and get more info on the machine!

Yeah I think it was started by Eric Perkunder and Dan Urweiler, 2 of the 3 that started TREUH Italia aka Synesso.

Cant wait to see the inevitable slayer vs hydra comparisons as they come to light. LOVE the wooden paddle!

Awsome,

Hope it is named after the band not Buffy!

Quote Originally Posted by 0102101014021A630 link=1234307107/4#4 date=1234400782
    Awsome,

Hope it is named after the band not Buffy!
    More like the X men (re the X leg brace)

I want one soooo bad.

I have been following this blog for the better part of the last 6 months and the concept & design are awesome.

James, you know youve got room in the middle section mate.... put your order in, haha

Weve spoken about it pretty seriously at work. I think its go on the front bench with the Synesso in storage.

Not sure really, I just want one.

some more pics and discussion

http://forum.coffeed.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2604

more pics on flickr

http://flickr.com/photos/slayerespresso/3057178666/in/set-72157609938347085/

some nice detail

Found some more info about the
    Slayer - Leveraging Brew Pressure

http://www.slayerespresso.com/2009/03/30/slayer-leveraging-brew-pressure/

KK

Sooo, word on the street is (actually theyve confirmed it publicly) that St Ali will be receiving a unit(s) shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by 696B676F6F61667B080 link=1234307107/12#12 date=1248061586
    Sooo, word on the street is (actually theyve confirmed it publicly) that St Ali will be receiving a unit(s) shortly.
    allo govner :D

just to add some salt to your excitement, tip off that the SLAYER is in Melbourne customs right now. 8-)

Wow, and they called at 5am to update you? Or you were just heading to bed Dan? ;D

Those customs officers better be careful they dont break it out of its cage.

Quote Originally Posted by 44464A42424C4B56250 link=1234307107/15#15 date=1248299157
    Wow, and they called at 5am to update you? Or you were just heading to bed Dan?
    Just heading to work acutally ;)

Also expect the serial number to look something like #0001

Deadly.

not sure if thats even more ace than #0007. methinks a trip to melbourne is in order.

I think this might be a real trial by fire for the slayer in Melbourne. Id suspect that being the first production machine, its probably prone to have a few teething issues.

Im just speculating, but Id also say that the espresso focused Aussie market does slightly higher volumes than most North American venues would, not being so espresso driven.

Just came across this while surfing the interwubs today. Bet the crew down at St. Ali are getting pretty excited. It might warrant a trip down their just to check it out. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 5D71626479717C4F5D7F7E7B7569100 link=1234307107/19#19 date=1248744147
    Just came across this while surfing the interwubs today. Bet the crew down at St. Ali are getting pretty excited. It might warrant a trip down their just to check it out. ;D

giggled like a schoolgirl that has to be the most random PIC Ive ever seen :P and you running into it in your rummaging about the interweb that is even more random.
    Nice find

It is here!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40826408@N07/

Ooh must find time to go there!!!

So anyone know what exactly the problems St Ali are having with their new Slayer???

heard from a coffee tech that theyve been having pretty big problems with it all week, went in today and they werent using it...

suppose with #1 of any machine youl run into problems...

so who has sipped from the mighty cup that is Slayer....???

on and on south of heaven. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 7155747D3A0 link=1234307107/24#24 date=1256801333
    mighty cup that is Slayer
    Even the mighty fall. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 2135322E333E76470 link=1234307107/23#23 date=1253687720
    So anyone know what exactly the problems St Ali are having with their new Slayer???
    Perhaps if they spent less time and money on marketing themselves in the Age and online endlessly, and got back to making coffee, theyd get it purring in no time.

Rebagging coffee from St Ali, and passing it off at the new Sensory Lab for $22 for 250 grams is just ludicrous. Better and far cheaper coffee to be had in Melbourne.

a Slayer at 85 Russell St, West End for any interested QLDers.

Im there!

As soon as i can get a day off work I had a laugh :D

Im hoping to get there today to give it a go...

Alex

Well I did go (after a spicy lunch so my palate wasnt at its best ... but the lunch was reason I was over there mid-week)

How was the coffee?

In short, Good.

I had a short black on the Herbazu blend and a latte on the SO

I cant remember what the SO was, or what was the other part of the blend. But in any case its certainly worth a drop in and a coffee or two.

Josh said that they are hoping to get their roaster in next week, and old gas fired cast iron probat which should really fit in well with their interior. A very much stripped back feel which works in well I think with West End.

I imagine that the coffee there will only get better as there must be some degree of re-learning and optimisation with a system as different as the slayer.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by 6F424B567A41432E0 link=1234307107/30#30 date=1263685061
    ... a system as different as the slayer.
    Given all of the hype and claims of the manufacturer, I spent ages trying to get to the bottom of how the slayer is actually different from the synesso, etc. I am not aware of the manufacturer clearly explaining how the thing works, nor did I get any real information out of them when I asked them. As far as I have seen, the information that the public has been presented about how this machine works and what it can do is fairly vague (but certainly enthusiastic). From what I have been able to tell from poking around inside it and using it, the machine does have some differences from previous machines, but Im pretty sure that the Cyncra and paddle group LMs have been able to deliver shots to the same profile that the slayer does for ... what ... something like 30 years in the case of the LM GSs, during which time people have experimented with the so-called pressure profiling that the slayer offers. Actually, come to think of it, the original Faema e-61 could probably work shots with the same sort of pressure as the slayer machine. So I think that the statement that the slayer is "different" has to be taken in context. Yes, there are differences between the slayer and other machines. No, none of the differences are such that the slayer is able to deliver shots to a pressure profile that no-one else has experimented with. (Actually, come to think of it, if I were to google hard enough I could probably find what I posted after doing some relevant experiments with a cyncra four or five years ago.) This is, of course, great news for slayer owners who are under the impression that the machine is totally unique in the brew parameters that it can deliver because it means that there are a lot of people out there that they can talk to to get some guidance.

Cheers,
    Luca

Quote Originally Posted by 083C2B3D26110D2128282B2B4E0 link=1234307107/32#32 date=1263876193
    I would imagine the business owner would be taking this into consideration and it would be interesting to see what transpires....

Josh knows what he is doing. Im sure he can get the best out of all machines he purchased and with the guidence he has and will continue to recieve, good coffee will be served at Cup Speciality Coffee.

It was today, a beautiful piccolo (or two) was enjoyed by me.
    And the roast was only 1 day post roast, better to come I think.

can anyone help me locate a phone number for Cup?
    ive tried to find a website or a business listing, but no luck.

i just want to call them to find out their opening hours.

Heres their one-pager website: Commercial link removed by Mods

Lists hours of 7am - 4pm Mon to Sat

Caff.

Slayer has individual pumps for each head?

No, just one pump. It has a valve in the group head to control the pressure.

So.. Slayer is more on the line of a Synesso Cyncra? Given all the hype and what not, I cant see what the Slayer does over a Hydra or Cyncra even, and if we were to compare it to a completely manual experience, wouldnt the LM Strada or Lever be the best comparison?

I just have to admit that when I saw the vimeo video of a few guys standing around a Slayer and pulling espresso shots with comp blends and saying things like "Wow, this is amazing" "This is the best espresso Ive had in my entire life" and what not, I called bullsh!t. Those are the guys who invented the machine.

Now is the Slayer priced accordingly? Is it in the same price range of a Hydra? and if it is more expensive, what are we paying extra for? The aesthetics? The hype? To be different? I care about the espresso, and although I bet you could pull a great shot on a Slayer, you could do the same on a Synesso.

There are differences between the slayer and the synesso as the preinfusion in the cyncra is line pressure where as the slayer is programmable. That said it requires much more of the user to get a great coffee from it (from what I have read) as it adds another variable which adds a factor of difficulty to the process. There is also some other "technologies" in there to improve the process as well (dont know how good these are either).

I am looking forward to the machines coming out over the next few years with true pressure profiling just to see if the hype lives up to the expectation.

So the Slayer controls the pressure at the brew head, the extra tanks at each head stabilise the temperature to a 0.1 - 1 celcius variance. My thoughts seem to lean towards, that a single group slayer would make a godly domestic machine; however, in a cafe environment, and for the sake of arguement, lets say you offer SOs, the ease of access to changing the pre-infusion pressure means more accessibility to complimenting a blend? Err.. did I just make sense, even I got confused writing that.

Ahhh but what pressure for what blend???? After you work out grind dose tamp and temp for the blend you now have to consider pressure????? That is above my pay grade at the moment.

One would think, then after roast profile, grind & dose, and temp, a soft infusion of 3-4 bars would be safe no matter what blend. We arent trying to emulate a drip filter here are we haha!

Safe, totally agree with that but what it claims to be is "better" so is 3 bars better than 5 bars and how long to preinfuse for before you ramp up the pressure and then what pressure is best? There is a bit of early discussion that I have read but it is all over the place with no clear answers just yet. Would love to spend a couple of days with the machine just playing (but that aint never gonna happen!!!)

I would assume that the difference between 3 bar vs. 5 bar, is the ability of the hot water to penetrate the puck and pre-wet it for the full force of 8 - 9 bar, before the flavour of the coffee takes on a burnt or carbon like profile due to high temperature under high pressure for an extended period of time.

Its more like a balancing act, drop the pressure slightly until you can pre-infuse the puck within a certain parameter of time & flavour. Which really.. is only obvious in the cup. Perhaps from this point of view, it doesnt matter what blend/so you use, you simply just need to get a pen and paper and get your hands dirty fine tuning the machine to whatever you wish to serve on that head.

Totally agree with you in theory, but as someone always says 2 + 2 = 5 with coffee. Like I said before would love to play with one just to see.

I hear you on that call, its not happening anytime soon in Perth. But I might just head over to Melbourne in the latter half of the year and stop by the places that do have it.

Its not this simple but think of it as controlling flow rate instead of pressure. Controlling flow rate means you can choke a shot on slayer and the pressure will still rise to 9 bar slowly. So its 4 bar if you dose the right amount of coffee.

This also means that when you back the pressure off during the shot, the pressure will slowly decline over the duration of the shot giving you a slower flow rate when there is less solids to extract.

Bare with me here; the amount of coffee I dose, can affect the flow rate, however the pressure (which is adjustable) is static, so my dosage can control the time from 4 bar - 9 bar, when I push the paddle into full pressure position?

No the pressure will be 9 bar (as controlled by the machine) but the flow rate will be slower if you increase dosage. I think this is starting to get confused

a slower flow rate will cause less pressure once the shot is running. So as the shot loosens up the pressure will decline.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast