Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Londinium L1 luxe Edition - Evolution

TC
    Agreed Mark,

Our learning with our Quickmill test machine was that tank feed accompanied with a heat exchanger induced thermosyphon stall in the CMA group. Nothing special about the Londinium as it happened in the Achille too. The solutions were found by logging mains pressure performance v tank, messing with cartridge heaters and a PID and making major changes. In Andy's case the solution was dual boilers.

Looking at earlier v later blog posts, things have either changed to address the shortcomings of the Londinium or they haven't. It depends on which snapshot you'd like to take.

As for the Alex Leva, what we do know is that when you combine the San Marco lever group with mains pressure and a PID controlled dipper configuration it works shot after shot. Those here know that we import this machine and having used it and the Londinium, all I can say is no contest on build, finish and no contest on what's in the cup either- unless you want to spend $$$$ on an Australium upgrade. If it were my money, I'd still buy the Alex even at $1k more.

So based on my opinions, I'll probably also be on the end of a slanderous blog post now.
    Last edited by TC; 30th May 2015 at 05:29 PM. Reason: tpyo
    chokkidog likes this.

Agree, Mark.

It sure must have been a slow news week on the blog.

To have an out of the blue, chip on the shoulder post like that

says more about the poster than this, or any other CS thread which, until 3 days ago, has

been dormant for almost 2 years.

Ya need a thicker skin than that if you're gunna stick your neck out.
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkZammit View Post
    As someone who watched the development of Londinium I (and the blog) from the ground up, and waited patiently to order one, Reiss bitter post doesn't surprise me. Although I was very keen to order a Londinium, I did find the constant condescending tone irritating. Early adopters complaints of siphon stall were ignored until they could be ignored no longer and changes to the design were eventually begrudgingly made. The whole fiasco (and Andy's saga) made me lose confidence, and so when the Alex Leva hit the market it was a no brainer. Very little difference in landed price, and with local servicing if required. I'm sure there are now many happy Londinium I owners out there, but contrary to Reiss constant assertions, it ain't the only current Lever capable of producing top espresso (and with early production models clearly failed too often).
    I too watched the Londinininininininium from development with some interest and saw the Andy saga which raised a few questions for me. Being a forgiving person, I assumed that it was just a difference of opinion that went further than it had to.

This was until I contacted the "big man" with the chip on his shoulder at Londinininininininium recently.

I feel sorry for anyone who has purchased a Londinininininininium machine and has to deal with the "big man" with any problems in the future. Good luck fighting that battle.

Looks like its the Alex Leva for me too and lets be honest, if you're going to be serious about espresso you gotta go to Italy
    Last edited by ilikebeans; 31st May 2015 at 09:15 AM.

Or Northcote.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikebeans View Post
    Looks like its the Alex Leva for me too and lets be honest, if you're going to be serious about espresso you gotta go to Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by shortblackman View Post
    or Northcote.
    ...or into the homes of a growing band of Aussie Alex Leva owners
    chokkidog likes this.

I don't own a Londinium nor ever will, but I can't see the comparison between the Alexa and the Londinium IF wants a tank fed machine. Here the comparison seems to be between the Strega and L1 (if one doesn't count the QM) and both appear to have issues from my reading.

Blog Entries
    I don't own a Londinium nor ever will

There are a lot of people posting in this thread that don't have one, never touched one and prob never will.
    I think it's time to lock the thread and let it die in peace (I thought it died years ago actually)

Feel free to start a new discussion thread about the merits of different lever designs and their ability to live up to the marketing hype of the sellers.

Dimal, MarkZammit, kbc and 3 others like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3