Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree385Likes

Thread: Izzo Alex Leva

It took a while to get across the Nullarbor, but it's here. What a beauty. Thanks all!! Cheers!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well done,
    You will not regret it - they are brilliant
    Enjoy it
    Cheers
    Dave

And paired with a Compak K10 WBC set up for single dosing. Possibly the best combo one can own these days at home. Just like mine. I don't think this is upgradeable. This is it. The end. ..... Or is it?
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    And paired with a Compak K10 WBC set up for single dosing. Possibly the best combo one can own these days at home. Just like mine. I don't think this is upgradeable. This is it. The end. ..... Or is it?
    Will you make a hat-eating-based pledge?

Quote Originally Posted by trenttdk View Post
    It took a while to get across the Nullarbor, but it's here. What a beauty. Thanks all!! Cheers!!
    Congratulations, so happy it got there safely.
    That was the last one of our stock of the Alex and I think the last free one in Australia
    We will be updating our website with the Valexia version very soon !

I have to ask, the cup with the broken handle on your grinder, what brand is it?

Cheers
    Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Haha. I think there are a lot of site sponsors kept in business by those who say their current setup is not upgradeable!!

Having said that, I started with a La Pavoni. I see now that when I went to my VBM E-61 machine what I really wanted was a useable lever. Now that I've got that, plus a nice conical, I can't see any reason to move on.
    Magic_Matt and matth3wh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    I have to ask, the cup with the broken handle on your grinder, what brand is it?
    Sorry, mate, I have no idea. I bought a set of them from a shop in Adelaide over five years ago. I think I only paid about $20 and, other than that one with the broken handle, the rest are still in daily service.

Thanks again for your help! Cheers, Trent

Sorry, mate, I have no idea. I bought a set of them from a shop in Adelaide over five years ago. I think I only paid about $20 and, other than that one with the broken handle, the rest are still in daily service.

Thanks again for your help! Cheers, Trent
    No worries. It looks like an Ancap decorated cup. We stock them.

Make sure you keep us updated on your progress with the Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    Congratulations, so happy it got there safely.
    That was the last one of our stock of the Alex and I think the last free one in Australia
    We will be updating our website with the Valexia version very soon !

Cheers
    Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    Free? Now that's a bargain!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Free? Now that's a bargain!
    Yes the machine was free but the freight to WA was expensive
    Magic_Matt, matth3wh and kbc like this.

Yes, That freight to WA was a killer

Really enjoying the machine. I'm using the recommendation Chris made early in this thread. Fill the portafilter, don't collapse, tamp, shot. Works great. I'm using the naked portafilter exclusively and it's excellent. I changed the temp a couple degrees up and down and notice only very subtle differences. I do have a question for the crowd though, what are the other adjustments? The instructions don't really say much. The gauge reads 1 bar at 122 degrees. Is that correct? Thanks

Izzo Alex Leva

Sounds about right trenttdk. I run my leva at 118, and pressure sits at around 0.8 bar, which is more than enough for rapid microfoaming.

The gauge reads 1 bar at 122 degrees. Is that correct?
    Mine is 1.05 bar at 122 - so looks right.

Temp is the only "adjustment".

Useful advice I read on Home Barista:
    "Q: What advice would you offer to someone starting out with a lever machine?

Allow yourself to be surprised. I've had 40+ second shots that were absolutely delicious. Not exactly normal - we tend to go 3-5 seconds of pre-infusion with the lever in the "locked" down position, then gradually releasing for another 25 seconds of extraction. But there have been times when I've been caught off-guard with how good some longer-time shots have been. Also, there is a huge difference in the extraction between super-fast releasing the lever from the "locked" down position, versus a slow, more deliberate releasing the lever to around the 45 degree angle where transitions into pushing the water through the espresso puck."

Full article is here (starts out as a review of Profitec Pro 800 but is equally useful for us Alex owners): http://www.home-barista.com/reviews/...ew-t44660.html

Completely happy with my Alex Leva. One of the reasons to buy it is that it's impossible to upgrade it - except with another Leva.
    If I bought a pump machine it would be a sideways (and slightly downward move) to add another family member in the pantry.

Hi ,
    Does anyone have simple instructions and photos of how to dissemble and clean the group?
    The photos below won't load
    thanks in anticipation
    Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bezzieman View Post
    I cleaned my pompei group this afternoon and made a few pics to show you guys how utterly disgusting the piston gets after two months of use.

Lots of coffee that mixed with dow111 in the group .Just nasty.

After cleaning everything I installed the teflonring(light film of dow111) from above and the copper ring with the concave side downwards.

Cleaned everything thoroughly and installed the piston from below.Applied a thin film of fresh Dow111 first of course.

While holding the piston with one hand install the spring group from above and turn it into the piston thread.

Push the whole assembly down and turn the piston with your tool in while fixating the spring assembly with the other hand.

Turn the piston in just enough to make sure the piston doesn't or just slightly touches the screen in its lowest position(lever released).

Now install the fourbolts and that's it.

This group does need regular cleaning .I suggest taking the screen of every week and cleaning the inside of the group at leat once every three months or it will get messy.Luckily for us it is a piece of cake to do.

Sorry for the dirty fingernails but I put 45000 kilo of concrete into the ground today.

This is somthing I too would be interested in trying one day. I would not consider attempting it without first having all repacement o rings ,seals and washers on hand ready to go.

its Hard to find detailed step by step with pics, the links below are worth browsing

http://www.home-barista.com/levers/i...up-t25094.html
    http://www.home-barista.com/levers/g...up-t43337.html

Hello to all

I have been reading this thread with great interest as I am very keen to get into the lever scene. I would be pairing the Valexia with a (soon to be arriving) Atom.

In in terms of accessories (naked portafilter and the like) am I right in assuming that these are readily available - either OEM or after market.

I am a couple of months away from getting as this is an anniversary gift but is stock readily available or is it on an order basis ?

i must admit that the more I read the more I fall in love with this beautiful piece of engineering. I love the simplicity and the design in simply gorgeous.

Anyway, keep this thread going .. it is an excellent resource and I look forward to joining the club.

Cheers all

Alastair
    matth3wh likes this.

I think Jet Black includes the naked portafilter.
    Accessories and parts readily available from CoffeeParts.

I didn't have to wait for mine (from a former sponsor at the time I bought it last year).
    Suspect you can pick one up straightaway.

Excellent choice. I was up for a Profitec lever, but it didn't quite fit.
    Been very happy with the Alex Leva (same internals - different body to Valex)

hello Hoggers,
    I bought mine in MLB from a former site sponsor ( Talk Coffee) who gives great after sales service and it includes a naked
    Suggest - go and have a look and play
    they are brilliant and 3 years later I have no urge to change or upgrade!
    Go for it
    DD

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dave View Post
    hello Hoggers,
    I bought mine in MLB from a former site sponsor ( Talk Coffee) who gives great after sales service and it includes a naked
    Go for it
    DD
    Since Hoggers is in Sydney he doesn't have to go quite that far; (current) CS sponsor Jetblack Esoresso is less than 10km from his location 😉

Unfortunately Jetblack do not actually have them in stock... they will happily order one in but not a try before you buy set up.

Never going to be one pass up a trip to Melbourne... just trying to work out how I can convince the airline to allow me to put the Leva on the seat next to me
    Magic_Matt likes this.

hello Hoggers,
    Go for it
    DD
    Hi Alastair

Like DD I also bought mine from Talk Coffee and nearly 12 months on I too have been more than happy with the Leva. These machines are visually beautiful, deadly quiet and low maintenance when compared the the semi's.

If you feel you have to try before you buy and you can get down to cold, dark, bleak and miserable Melbourne then go and see Chris.

It's worth noting though that both DD and I (and I suspect others) bought our machines "unseen", for me I simply took what was stated in this thread, explored Talk Coffee's site, did a little comparative research and took the plunge. It's not often (well, never!) that I would buy an expensive asset with touching, feeling, smelling and in this case tasting but I felt very confident in Chris' industry knowledge and of course this has paid off.

Cheers
    Richard
    Dr_Dave and shortblackman like this.

Cheers Richard.. reassuring words indeed and I would be more than happy to buy sight unseen after reading all the very favourable comments but if I can wrangle a trip to Melbourne then even better

I have aver to admit that I purchased the grinder (Atom) from reviews on this forum and others and after reading about the leva and others thoughts I have no doubt that I will be over the moon..

it it is nice to know that the leva owners have absolutely no regrets and that you are all extremely happy with your machines.

I feel that that this will be a love affair that lasts for many years.

And Paul... I love your suggestion of flying with my new baby
    matth3wh and kbc like this.

Maybe with the increasing demand, Charlie might consider adding one to his demo bench... 🤔
    K1LL3M likes this.

Hi ,
    Does anyone have simple instructions and photos of how to dissemble and clean the group?
    The photos below won't load
    thanks in anticipation
    Cheers
    Dave
    I learnt many moons ago it was best to leave well alone big springs and pistons!

Having said that......I'm curious to know if these instructions will resurface.

But Chris mentions a few times in this thread a service was not necessary for a few years on the Leva (may be a different story for the Pompei).

I pulled the shower screen off after a few months, and it was a waste of time, it was spotless.

I've pulled circa 2000 shots on our Leva so perhaps a different story now.

One thing I am concerned with is I'm getting slightly "tanned" water from the tank, noticeable when I fill a white cup from the hot water tap whilst making the odd long black. It used to be crystal clear.

What's your water looking like?

Just one more question, I suspect the water level in the 5L boiler on mine runs fairly low, I'm only getting 4-5 brews before she refills with cold water which is annoying when I'm in the middle of "service". How many brews do you get before you hear the "click" of the cold water intake?
    Cheers
    Richard

My boiler water is still crystal clear one year on. I run a lot of water through to keep it fresh. Every morning before switching off I rinse water through the group and pf until the refill triggers. This also ensures I start the next day with a full boiler.

I get about 4 brews including pf rinses in between (from hot tap) before the click. I measured it once at about 850 to 900 ml between refills. I'll measure again tomorrow to see if any change one year on.

If I am going to make a few milk coffees I always trigger the refill before I start as you can't steam milk for a few minutes after that. I do this by running the hot tap until it clicks. It would be great to add a manual refill trigger to the machine for this purpose, it would mean you could do a quick top up with less reheat time instead of full refill.

As for espresso I can't taste the difference immediately after a refill, as long as you pull the shot before the boiler pressure drops too much.(it does not drop straight away). I mostly drink espresso only so the whole refill thing is not a huge issue to me.

One year on and I still would not have any other machine. The espresso that comes out is consistently amazing.
    Last edited by Sink_cut; 23rd May 2017 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Correct num brews

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Maybe with the increasing demand, Charlie might consider adding one to his demo bench... 樂
    I would have liked that and had he had one there he likely would have received a sale 3 weeks ago. But really that's only 1 so unless there is a few others I understand it's not necessarily enough to justify that level investment in stock display

Mmmmmm

Was looking though my camera roll......
    Dr_Dave and kbc like this.

Mmmm...

Yum.

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sink_cut View Post
    My boiler water is still crystal clear one year on. I run a lot of water through to keep it fresh. Every morning before switching off I rinse water through the group and pf until the refill triggers. This also ensures I start the next day with a full boiler.

I get about 4 brews including pf rinses in between (from hot tap) before the click. I measured it once at about 850 to 900 ml between refills. I'll measure again tomorrow to see if any change one year on.

If I am going to make a few milk coffees I always trigger the refill before I start as you can't steam milk for a few minutes after that. I do this by running the hot tap until it clicks. It would be great to add a manual refill trigger to the machine for this purpose, it would mean you could do a quick top up with less reheat time instead of full refill.

As for espresso I can't taste the difference immediately after a refill, as long as you pull the shot before the boiler pressure drops too much.(it does not drop straight away). I mostly drink espresso only so the whole refill thing is not a huge issue to me.

One year on and I still would not have any other machine. The espresso that comes out is consistently amazing.
    Thanks SC

I was purging the tank but clearly not as often as I should have, doing it a little more consistently now and back to clear water!

A manual refill trigger or even some kind of water level gauge would be great. It's strange they did not design some form of gauge (difficult to do I guess) but knowing what's left in the tank would take the guesswork out of it. It's like driving a Ferrari (never had the pleasure) with a temp gauge, a pressure gauge but no fuel gauge.

I have an 18 year old also using the Leva so I just don't know how many shots I have left before the annoying click (ala Russian Roulette) but let's face it, it's only circa 30-45 second recovery.

Hi

I have had my Leva now for three weeks and couldn't be happier. I was asked to do a single shot for a friend of mine. I normally only do doubles, so I was excited to get the single portafilter out but then as I stood there I realised I don't know how to control the volume of water going through the puck. So I use the single portafilter but have pretty much the same volume as a normal double shot. With the obvious not too good results. Am I missing something ?
    thx for your help

Hi Ivar67

Welcome to club Leva!

With the leva you will simply need to reject the what you don't want, ie move the cup away from the pour. You must remember whilst the Leva is a magnificent machine, it's operation is fundamentally "mechanical" and unlike semi automatics, it has no intelligence to measure single / double shots.

And this is the real heart of this machine, by allowing you to experiment with varying volumes and temperatures to suit your particulars taste and of course the bean you use which will change from time to time.

Here is a simple guide to get you on the road to knowing your machine.

Using a measuring cup measure 30mls of water representing an average single shot including crema and pour this into your cup, take mental note of the water level in your cup.

Do the same for 60mls representing an average double.

So now when you pull a single or double, you'll know when to pull the cup away from the pour. The longer you keep the cup under the the pour the more likely you'll also collect the unwanted bitter tail end of the pour (blonding).

Over time you'll get to know your machine and certainly appreciate it's vast capabilities of producing what you're looking for in the cup which of course will regularly change.

Enjoy!
    Richard
    Last edited by RichardC; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:08 PM. Reason: typo
    kbc likes this.

Excellent advice...

Quote Originally Posted by RichardC View Post
    I learnt many moons ago it was best to leave well alone big springs and pistons!

Having said that......I'm curious to know if these instructions will resurface.

But Chris mentions a few times in this thread a service was not necessary for a few years on the Leva (may be a different story for the Pompei).

I pulled the shower screen off after a few months, and it was a waste of time, it was spotless.

I've pulled circa 2000 shots on our Leva so perhaps a different story now.

One thing I am concerned with is I'm getting slightly "tanned" water from the tank, noticeable when I fill a white cup from the hot water tap whilst making the odd long black. It used to be crystal clear.

What's your water looking like?

Just one more question, I suspect the water level in the 5L boiler on mine runs fairly low, I'm only getting 4-5 brews before she refills with cold water which is annoying when I'm in the middle of "service". How many brews do you get before you hear the "click" of the cold water intake?
    Cheers
    Richard
    This is a good thread to read on taking apart and putting back together and the sorts of problems you may come across: http://www.home-barista.com/levers/i...up-t25094.html

I am doing this at the moment trying to sort out some stiction.

I would simply avoid it altogether if possible, at this stage. I'll come back when I'm done and post my learnings.

If anyone can find the tool needed to take the cap of the piston let me know. I am starting to think it doesn't even exist, except at the factory where they are put together.
    The closest I have come to finding out is in the above link where everyone made themselves one using PVC pipe.

Re boiler running low - yes, mine is the same. About 4 or so brews.
    I would prefer it constantly let in small amounts of water. But it doesn't.

Thanks SC
    but let's face it, it's only circa 30-45 second recovery.
    I wish
    Mine is more like 3 to 4 minutes before full pressure comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by AlMac View Post
    This is a good thread to read on taking apart and putting back together and the sorts of problems you may come across: http://www.home-barista.com/levers/i...up-t25094.html

I am doing this at the moment trying to sort out some stiction.

I would simply avoid it altogether if possible, at this stage. I'll come back when I'm done and post my learnings.
    I think a few of us will look forward to your post. Please take lots of photos.

Why did you feel you needed to pull yours apart? Was it filthy inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Sink_cut View Post
    I wish
    Mine is more like 3 to 4 minutes before full pressure comes back.
    Correction...my bad....timed it this morning and it's more like 2 minutes.

On the positive, I have 2 minutes to wipe down the bench!

What takes 2 mins?

The boiler recovery after the dreaded refill "click" is heard.

The theme here is whilst we enjoy a 5 litre boiler, it only yields just on or under 1 litre of brew water which itself yields 4-5 cups and in between flushes.

I'm thinking there must be an adjustable sensor or probe on the boiler that can modify the level but I'm not willing to open and fiddle, might wait for service time.

Zoiks, the things you *don't* find out when researching machines eh!

True for most things we buy, but now that I know what I know about this machine I still wouldn't change it.

There would have to be a major leap in lever technological advancement for me to contemplate an upgrade. But as mentioned below, lever machines by their nature are hands on mechanical so I don't think that type of advancement is anywhere near the horizon.

And I guess nor should it be, those of us who opt for a lever do so wanting to experiment with a wider variation with what ends up in the cup.

True for most things we buy, but now that I know what I know about this machine I still wouldn't change it.
    Same. The coffee that comes out is still to good to be true

Although - I would play with a mod to trigger the refill at will if it could be done easily.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Hi Richard,
    In case you missed it, there's some useful IZZO Duetto/Val info in this thread, covering some of the issues you raised:
    Izzo Alex Leva
    Read away
    Glad you love your machine. Levas are very cool.
    Cheers, Paul
    K Bean - Dream Machines
    Not sure what you mean by "In case you missed it", your link points to this very thread we're on and as I have logged a few posts here (including this one) I'm well aware of its existence . Is there another link you're suggesting?

This past weekend I spent a little time reading the posts on this thread. For the Leva owner there is a wealth knowledge contained here, much of which can of course be credited to Chris.

The reason for delving back was to try to fill a gap where the manual to this machine woefully fails. Calling it a manual is a long stretch, more of a technical datasheet.

So in re-reading this thread I may have missed certain issues raised by owners as wading through some waffle posted was distracting.
    Dimal, Dr_Dave and Hoggers like this.

So in re-reading this thread I may have missed certain issues raised by owners as wading through some waffle posted was distracting.
    This thread plus Home Barista's lever forum is about the sum of it.

I have been, unwittingly, experimenting with different types of grease.
    Two fails and a win.
    My recommendation - only use Molykote 111.
    Even others that are food grade and operate across a range of temperatures don't work as well.
    Molykote 111 is super thick.

You need food grade grease that "works" beyond the group head temp.
    Molykote 111 is food grade and good to 200degC.

Some technical advice please..... I've noticed in looking back on this thread there are instances where folks have posted images of their gauges. Of those I've seen there appears to be differing readings of temps and bar and these don't match the table in the "manual".

This is what the table shows:

C BAR
    120 1
    121 1.1
    122 1.15
    123 1.2
    124 1.3
    125 1.35
    126 1.4
    127 1.45
    128 1.5

I usually brew between 121 and 123 and here are my readings:

121 0.9
    122 0.95
    123 1.05

So, clearly my BAR reading does not match the manual.

Question is, is this a significant discrepancy? It's been this way since day 1.

Perhaps other leva owners can share their gauge results.

Cheers
    Last edited by RichardC; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:53 PM.

Mine - 120 = 1 bar

(About 30m above sea level)
    Dimal and RichardC like this.

Some technical advice please..... I've noticed in looking back on this thread there are instances where folks have posted images of their gauges. Of those I've seen there appears to be differing readings of temps and bar and these don't match the table in the "manual".
    WHAT! Yours came with a manual with actual information in it?

Mine is 1.05 bar at 122; 1.1 at 123 and also 1.2 at 123.
    It varies a bit at the same temp. Perhaps due to water level variation in the boiler? I have no idea about this stuff though.
    Hoggers likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlMac View Post
    WHAT! Yours came with a manual with actual information in it?

Mine is 1.05 bar at 122; 1.1 at 123 and also 1.2 at 123.
    It varies a bit at the same temp. Perhaps due to water level variation in the boiler? I have no idea about this stuff though.
    It's officially called "Operating and Maintenance Instruction" but I think it's more of a datasheet.

But to prove at least something exists, here's a snapshot of the temp / bar chart.
    Last edited by RichardC; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:25 PM. Reason: typo
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Lightbulb

I took note of some the lower temp readings (should have done so originally ), here are my complete numbers based on temps I play with:

119 0.75
    120 0.85
    121 0.90
    122 0.95
    123 1.05

Seems my pressure is our of kilter with other units out there and the chart itself. The incremental bar pressure ranging between 0.5 and 1.0 must be significant otherwise they would not bother showing them.

Interested to see what others come back with.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast