Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
Like Tree407Likes

Thread: Izzo Alex Leva

Hi Pete,
    I used a file to form a wedge shape rather than square lugs, so far no significant wear and happy with result
    Cheers
    Dave

Hi All,
    Just to let you know another option - I have contacted Talk Coffee in MLB where I purchased the machine and an option is to unbolt the group and send to Chris for servicing. He is happy to service and return
    Cheers
    Dave
    amellor, matth3wh and Hoggers like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dave View Post
    Hi All,
    Just to let you know another option - I have contacted Talk Coffee in MLB where I purchased the machine and an option is to unbolt the group and send to Chris for servicing. He is happy to service and return
    Cheers
    Dave
    That would be a lot better for a lot of us.
    I wonder what shipping from Perth WA would be

Good to hear about this option for you. And again about the good service you get!
    If you have the chance to get a thinner gasket you don't miss the machine for several dass and there is no machining at all necessary.
    But this up to personal preferences.
    Peter

I must say (and slightly off topic - sorry) but Chris from Talk Coffee really is excellent and it is great to know he will service the group head. Will save much heartache in the coming years

Hey yeah I strongly echo the above sentiment..... This place definitely (seems) poorer for his absence.
    Maybe times have changed and it can no longer be (the swinging 70's but .....
    I'm thinking of the scene from Ferris Beuhler's Day Off... you know where the Hot AIr Balloon flies near his home
    as 1000's of poor sick secondary school kids frett over him being in intensive care whilst 'baarfing up a lung'
    with the aim to gather donations to pay for his Lung Transplant op!....
    The 3story sign saying 'Save Ferris'
    How about it CS'ers ...lets get a sign for North Melb somewhere .....Bring Back TC !
    YEAH
    Casa Espresso and Hoggers like this.

Quote Originally Posted by EspressoAdventurer View Post
    Hey yeah I strongly echo the above sentiment..... This place definitely (seems) poorer for his absence.
    Maybe times have changed and it can no longer be (the swinging 70's but .....
    I'm thinking of the scene from Ferris Beuhler's Day Off... you know where the Hot AIr Balloon flies near his home
    as 1000's of poor sick secondary school kids frett over him being in intensive care whilst 'baarfing up a lung'
    with the aim to gather donations to pay for his Lung Transplant op!....
    The 3story sign saying 'Save Ferris'
    How about it CS'ers ...lets get a sign for North Melb somewhere .....Bring Back TC !
    YEAH
    From what I have read on a UK coffee site not much chance of a return unfortunately. In fact I had a post censored the other day for typing in a 3 letter acronym for the aforementioned ex CS sponsor (morning Java asleep at the wheel?) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by noonar View Post
    From what I have read on a UK coffee site not much chance of a return unfortunately. In fact I had a post censored the other day for typing in a 3 letter acronym for the aforementioned ex CS sponsor (morning Java asleep at the wheel?) :-)
    We still work very closely with the Man from Northcote. He is still lurking around these parts.

Anyone needing their Alex leva serviced just drop me a PM

cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal, chokkidog and Hoggers like this.

Today I disassembled the piston for cleaning. There were several surprizes.

First: the dirt inside the cylinder and on the piston after 3 years was not worth the trouble at all.
    In the cylinder there was nothing but grease. The piston has some stains at the bottom and the lowest 5mm which I scrubbed off.

Second: Thank you @puffink for the warning.
    The shaft turned. It was unavoidable. The little pin at the top of the shaft broke.
    For others: you see it only on the lower half of the spring. Above the diameter is slightly thicker, and it is fix.
    I made a quick-n-dirty plate for fixing the big spring. So there was no disaster when the last millimeters jumped.

Quote Originally Posted by puffink View Post
    Hi peter42, This is just a suggestion, These pistons can be really hard to break loose, You may have to remove the assembly from the top with the piston intact, Then remove the piston in a vice,Being very careful not to damage it( wood,leather,rubber), Then follow AlMacs instructions for reinstall. Then that great tool you made will work great from then on. A word of caution to all, The shaft that holds the piston has threads on both ends,If you break loose the upper threads you can release the spring in which case you will get a Big surprise, You may want to mark the shaft so you know that you are turning the piston and not the shaft. It is a shame that izzo has not addressed the rusty circlip on the shower screen yet. Jim
    Third: it is absolutely horrible how fixed that piston was.
    My tool with the long lever was just the right size, but it was almost impossible to hold the other side for the counter-torque. Neither a bench vice on the shaft, nor a sound pipe wrench on the bigger diameter could hold the tourque. My last try before giving up:

That is unbelievable: I had to fix the big lathe chuck and squeeze the pipe wrench simultaneously to take the torque I applied with the lever (all I could) and then it opened I was close to killing the whole piece.

Tomorrow I will re-assemble first the spring package, then the whole unit into the machine,
    hopeing that the silicon ring will slip in, as it is still of 52 mm in diameter and the cylinder is 50mm.
    Or I may need a sort of a funnel or hopper in the sense of a piston ring compressor ...

That is not really motivating for somebody who realizes that the piston does not turn easily when still installed at the machine.

I believe I am getting an idea, what the trouble is about.
    As you can see in the picture below, the teflon ring is seperated by opening the spring package, not by turning only the lower piston part.
    The springs force works all the time on the teflon ring, which is independent from the torque of the installation of the lower part of the piston. This acts only on the black rubber gasket.

The sequence of parts of the Izzo Pompei on HB is different,
    https://www.home-barista.com/forums/...5_img_5390.jpg

and I think on the pictures here on CS the installation sequence is diffent also.
    There is a 26mm hex, which was absolutely unaccessable for me at all times, which doesn't make any sense.

Hello...

A Slight change of topic but still on the Leva. I am in the process of plumbing in and following TC's guide to plumbing in.

The guide mentions needing to have an external pump if the machine does not have an integrated one. My question is .. do I need the pump ? Have any of you installed a pump or have you simply connected up to the filter ?

Cheers all.

Alastair

Hoggers

You need a pump only if you are using bottled water.

If you connect to mains (with a filter) then you don't need a pump.
    Hoggers likes this.

Hi Alistair,
    If you look back at post 385 you will see how I did mine. Don't forget though a pressure reducing valve so you don't expose the machine to mains pressure
    Cheers
    Dave
    Hoggers likes this.

Thanks Dave..

Your set-up is almost identical to mine in that I will be running a line to the fridge as well as the coffee machine which will also be about 3m away.

The line will be run under concrete slab and back up to machine (easy access under house). I may or may not connect waste pipe and an easier option might be just to do as you do an empty the tray every few days.. will see how the plumber goes.

Have not mentioned hole in bench top to wife yet ;-)

Will post pics once all installed.

Cheers.

Alastair

Sounds good, Look forward to photo's. We are renting however if I was permanent I would definitely plumb in overflow if you have the option
    Cheers
    chokkidog likes this.

Hello all..

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before or if this is the wrong thread / area but I was wondering how much coffee, in terms of weight, is standard for the naked with the leva ?

I prefer stronger shots so not sure if there is an idea weight to be aiming for. Does between 22 and 24g sound about right ?

Cheers.

Alastair

Ps.. I am a couple of weeks away from getting the new kitchen. machine plumbed in and ready to go... cannot wait

i think that'll depend heavily on what basket you are using and will be a matter of trial and error more than anything to find the right dose. i started dosing 20 on my 18g vst after several weeks of trial and error. i found a good start point is the weight the basket is rated for and moving up from there... any more than 20 and my puck starts to scratch the shower screen. sometimes i get an imprint of my shower screen if beans are a little light.

hope this helps

Sort of will have a play around and see what suits me best... happy days ahead.

Hi Alistair,
    I dont have any scales and hence no idea of weight. I bought a large basket from TC when I purchased the machine - I dont know size however. As Tim says weight will depend on your basket. Just fill it up, practice with grind settings until you are happy with the result in the cup
    Have fun practicing
    Cheers
    Dave

Hey hoggers

I dose 21-22g into the standard leva basket

Cheers all... much appreciated..

Kitchen has been delayed a bit so I may just end up getting a flo jet and bottled / filtered water for a bit as I am dying to play.

Will no more in the next few days but there is only so long a man can wait

Hi All,
    A word of warning
    I recently serviced my machine , however the piston was jammed on to the thread and I suspect locktite was used. I was unable to get the piston off and ended up taking the piston assembly out of the bore and to an engineer friend.
    He had to put the rod into his lathe to undo the piston!!
    I then serviced it: Cleaned it all, replaced the rudder gasket which was hardened by heat, replaced the teflon ring, put some lubricant on the thread to stop the piston binding, added MX6 to lubricate the shaft and reassembled it all
    Works brilliantly again and I know that I won't have the same issue again. I will do this once every couple of years
    Cheers
    Dr Dave
    Dimal and Peter42 like this.

Hello Dave,
    yes, this is excactly the same mess I had. Including the Loctite at the thread of the piston, which should be removable.

I am very happy that I did not ask a friend to do the service, who has a shop for espresso machines. He wouldn't have had a chance.
    As everything is fine now, I am going to make a little bit gymnastics and turn the piston every several month. (left-right-left-right about 90, with the tool I made).

Anyway, I want to point out that I still love my Izzo Alex Leva and this was the only case I was worrying within three years.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13