Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
Like Tree422Likes

Thread: Izzo Alex Leva

Hi Pete,
    I used a file to form a wedge shape rather than square lugs, so far no significant wear and happy with result
    Cheers
    Dave

Hi All,
    Just to let you know another option - I have contacted Talk Coffee in MLB where I purchased the machine and an option is to unbolt the group and send to Chris for servicing. He is happy to service and return
    Cheers
    Dave
    amellor, matth3wh and Hoggers like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dave View Post
    Hi All,
    Just to let you know another option - I have contacted Talk Coffee in MLB where I purchased the machine and an option is to unbolt the group and send to Chris for servicing. He is happy to service and return
    Cheers
    Dave
    That would be a lot better for a lot of us.
    I wonder what shipping from Perth WA would be

Good to hear about this option for you. And again about the good service you get!
    If you have the chance to get a thinner gasket you don't miss the machine for several dass and there is no machining at all necessary.
    But this up to personal preferences.
    Peter

I must say (and slightly off topic - sorry) but Chris from Talk Coffee really is excellent and it is great to know he will service the group head. Will save much heartache in the coming years

Hey yeah I strongly echo the above sentiment..... This place definitely (seems) poorer for his absence.
    Maybe times have changed and it can no longer be (the swinging 70's but .....
    I'm thinking of the scene from Ferris Beuhler's Day Off... you know where the Hot AIr Balloon flies near his home
    as 1000's of poor sick secondary school kids frett over him being in intensive care whilst 'baarfing up a lung'
    with the aim to gather donations to pay for his Lung Transplant op!....
    The 3story sign saying 'Save Ferris'
    How about it CS'ers ...lets get a sign for North Melb somewhere .....Bring Back TC !
    YEAH
    Casa Espresso and Hoggers like this.

Quote Originally Posted by EspressoAdventurer View Post
    Hey yeah I strongly echo the above sentiment..... This place definitely (seems) poorer for his absence.
    Maybe times have changed and it can no longer be (the swinging 70's but .....
    I'm thinking of the scene from Ferris Beuhler's Day Off... you know where the Hot AIr Balloon flies near his home
    as 1000's of poor sick secondary school kids frett over him being in intensive care whilst 'baarfing up a lung'
    with the aim to gather donations to pay for his Lung Transplant op!....
    The 3story sign saying 'Save Ferris'
    How about it CS'ers ...lets get a sign for North Melb somewhere .....Bring Back TC !
    YEAH
    From what I have read on a UK coffee site not much chance of a return unfortunately. In fact I had a post censored the other day for typing in a 3 letter acronym for the aforementioned ex CS sponsor (morning Java asleep at the wheel?) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by noonar View Post
    From what I have read on a UK coffee site not much chance of a return unfortunately. In fact I had a post censored the other day for typing in a 3 letter acronym for the aforementioned ex CS sponsor (morning Java asleep at the wheel?) :-)
    We still work very closely with the Man from Northcote. He is still lurking around these parts.

Anyone needing their Alex leva serviced just drop me a PM

cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal, chokkidog and Hoggers like this.

Today I disassembled the piston for cleaning. There were several surprizes.

First: the dirt inside the cylinder and on the piston after 3 years was not worth the trouble at all.
    In the cylinder there was nothing but grease. The piston has some stains at the bottom and the lowest 5mm which I scrubbed off.

Second: Thank you @puffink for the warning.
    The shaft turned. It was unavoidable. The little pin at the top of the shaft broke.
    For others: you see it only on the lower half of the spring. Above the diameter is slightly thicker, and it is fix.
    I made a quick-n-dirty plate for fixing the big spring. So there was no disaster when the last millimeters jumped.

Quote Originally Posted by puffink View Post
    Hi peter42, This is just a suggestion, These pistons can be really hard to break loose, You may have to remove the assembly from the top with the piston intact, Then remove the piston in a vice,Being very careful not to damage it( wood,leather,rubber), Then follow AlMacs instructions for reinstall. Then that great tool you made will work great from then on. A word of caution to all, The shaft that holds the piston has threads on both ends,If you break loose the upper threads you can release the spring in which case you will get a Big surprise, You may want to mark the shaft so you know that you are turning the piston and not the shaft. It is a shame that izzo has not addressed the rusty circlip on the shower screen yet. Jim
    Third: it is absolutely horrible how fixed that piston was.
    My tool with the long lever was just the right size, but it was almost impossible to hold the other side for the counter-torque. Neither a bench vice on the shaft, nor a sound pipe wrench on the bigger diameter could hold the tourque. My last try before giving up:

That is unbelievable: I had to fix the big lathe chuck and squeeze the pipe wrench simultaneously to take the torque I applied with the lever (all I could) and then it opened I was close to killing the whole piece.

Tomorrow I will re-assemble first the spring package, then the whole unit into the machine,
    hopeing that the silicon ring will slip in, as it is still of 52 mm in diameter and the cylinder is 50mm.
    Or I may need a sort of a funnel or hopper in the sense of a piston ring compressor ...

That is not really motivating for somebody who realizes that the piston does not turn easily when still installed at the machine.

I believe I am getting an idea, what the trouble is about.
    As you can see in the picture below, the teflon ring is seperated by opening the spring package, not by turning only the lower piston part.
    The springs force works all the time on the teflon ring, which is independent from the torque of the installation of the lower part of the piston. This acts only on the black rubber gasket.

The sequence of parts of the Izzo Pompei on HB is different,
    https://www.home-barista.com/forums/...5_img_5390.jpg

and I think on the pictures here on CS the installation sequence is diffent also.
    There is a 26mm hex, which was absolutely unaccessable for me at all times, which doesn't make any sense.

Hello...

A Slight change of topic but still on the Leva. I am in the process of plumbing in and following TC's guide to plumbing in.

The guide mentions needing to have an external pump if the machine does not have an integrated one. My question is .. do I need the pump ? Have any of you installed a pump or have you simply connected up to the filter ?

Cheers all.

Alastair

Hoggers

You need a pump only if you are using bottled water.

If you connect to mains (with a filter) then you don't need a pump.
    Hoggers likes this.

Hi Alistair,
    If you look back at post 385 you will see how I did mine. Don't forget though a pressure reducing valve so you don't expose the machine to mains pressure
    Cheers
    Dave
    Hoggers likes this.

Thanks Dave..

Your set-up is almost identical to mine in that I will be running a line to the fridge as well as the coffee machine which will also be about 3m away.

The line will be run under concrete slab and back up to machine (easy access under house). I may or may not connect waste pipe and an easier option might be just to do as you do an empty the tray every few days.. will see how the plumber goes.

Have not mentioned hole in bench top to wife yet ;-)

Will post pics once all installed.

Cheers.

Alastair

Sounds good, Look forward to photo's. We are renting however if I was permanent I would definitely plumb in overflow if you have the option
    Cheers
    chokkidog likes this.

Hello all..

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before or if this is the wrong thread / area but I was wondering how much coffee, in terms of weight, is standard for the naked with the leva ?

I prefer stronger shots so not sure if there is an idea weight to be aiming for. Does between 22 and 24g sound about right ?

Cheers.

Alastair

Ps.. I am a couple of weeks away from getting the new kitchen. machine plumbed in and ready to go... cannot wait

i think that'll depend heavily on what basket you are using and will be a matter of trial and error more than anything to find the right dose. i started dosing 20 on my 18g vst after several weeks of trial and error. i found a good start point is the weight the basket is rated for and moving up from there... any more than 20 and my puck starts to scratch the shower screen. sometimes i get an imprint of my shower screen if beans are a little light.

hope this helps

Sort of will have a play around and see what suits me best... happy days ahead.

Hi Alistair,
    I dont have any scales and hence no idea of weight. I bought a large basket from TC when I purchased the machine - I dont know size however. As Tim says weight will depend on your basket. Just fill it up, practice with grind settings until you are happy with the result in the cup
    Have fun practicing
    Cheers
    Dave

Hey hoggers

I dose 21-22g into the standard leva basket

Cheers all... much appreciated..

Kitchen has been delayed a bit so I may just end up getting a flo jet and bottled / filtered water for a bit as I am dying to play.

Will no more in the next few days but there is only so long a man can wait

Hi All,
    A word of warning
    I recently serviced my machine , however the piston was jammed on to the thread and I suspect locktite was used. I was unable to get the piston off and ended up taking the piston assembly out of the bore and to an engineer friend.
    He had to put the rod into his lathe to undo the piston!!
    I then serviced it: Cleaned it all, replaced the rudder gasket which was hardened by heat, replaced the teflon ring, put some lubricant on the thread to stop the piston binding, added MX6 to lubricate the shaft and reassembled it all
    Works brilliantly again and I know that I won't have the same issue again. I will do this once every couple of years
    Cheers
    Dr Dave
    Dimal and Peter42 like this.

Hello Dave,
    yes, this is excactly the same mess I had. Including the Loctite at the thread of the piston, which should be removable.

I am very happy that I did not ask a friend to do the service, who has a shop for espresso machines. He wouldn't have had a chance.
    As everything is fine now, I am going to make a little bit gymnastics and turn the piston every several month. (left-right-left-right about 90, with the tool I made).

Anyway, I want to point out that I still love my Izzo Alex Leva and this was the only case I was worrying within three years.

Apologies for bumping an old thread but I just wanted to share a photo of the new addition to the family...

After a good few months of sitting in a box the renovation and kitchen are finally complete and I set everything last night. I am beyond happy

I adjusted the grinder so the grind felt like 'gritty flour' and pulled a shot. First was a bit too quick but the second and subsequent started as 3 or 4 drips then came together to form a line of liquid gold.

Milk frothing is easy and the taste is amazing.... (coffee not the milk - that just tastes like milk)

I for one am looking forward to a long and happy life together 
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a lovely Valexia.

You'll enjoy making coffee like never before!
    Hoggers likes this.

Well done hogger, you won't regret it
    Keep us up to date with how you get on with it
    Cheers
    DD
    Hoggers likes this.

Heat will soften loctite. Use a heat gun, make it as hot as you dare

Great setup!
    Hoggers likes this.

Cheers all....

I am loving getting to grips with it and love watching the nectar dribble from the naked... it really does look like liquid gold

On the Atom I am dosing for 10 seconds which gives me about 23g in the filter, 10 seconds with lever down and then release and let the spring do its magic.

I have never used another type of coffee machine so have little to compare to but I love the simplicity and feel of the lever.... the total silence is great.

Plan on booking in for a barista course through Jet Black in the New Year as some tips on things would be handy and really just a bit of a sanity check.

Will keep you posted as to progress and a very Happy Christmas to all.

Alastair
    Dimal likes this.

Excellent news Alistair, after 3 years I still love mine Leva and really like you enjoy seeing the gold nectar, let alone drinking it
    Have a great Xmas all
    Dave

Hello to all and a very happy new year.

Well I am 2 weeks in with the leva and loving it but I don't feel as though I am getting the best pour from it.

my routine is to place about 21g into the basket, tamp and then infuse for a count of 10 (have tried less but same outcome).
    i then slowly raise the leva (I let go by accident one time and it was not pretty) but there seems to be very little resistance from the puck and the pour is over in less than 10 seconds. With the naked I tend to get little spurts shooting out at odd angles..

I have tried grinding finer but I find the grinder struggles and little comes out of the shoot. I have a eureka Atom which is sitting between the 0 and 1 on the scale (I adjusted as fine as I could and then adjusted courser until grinds started to come out and the texture was like gritty flour.

Anyway.. long story short that resultant taste in the cup is more metalic than anything else and not overly pleasant. The problem is that I am not sure what I need to do to improve it.

I am all ears to suggestions from the seasoned leva pros.
    Cheers all

Alastair

Sounds like another case of old stale beans.

Java "Gotta be fresh!" phile
    Casa Espresso, Lukemc and Rolf like this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    Sounds like another case of old stale beans.

Java "Gotta be fresh!" phile
    which coffee are you using and how old is it?

Hi Alistair,
    10 seconds is way too fast, you may need to upgrade the grinder to get a finer grind!. As a start to fixing it, How about going to your local coffee shop and asking them to grind some of their beans and trying that first. See how that goes
    Also - as others Rolf and Java, fresh beans may help
    Let us know
    Cheers
    Dave

Have to disagree with the doctor with regards to the doctor about the grinder. The atom should be more than capable if there is nothing wrong with it. However getting a cafe to grind some beans is good idea. Will more than likely rule out the grinder.

Beans seem like a more obvious problem at the moment.
    Casa Espresso likes this.

I would also be very, very surprised if the grinder is not up to the task.

Looking back over your posts a few weeks ago you appeared to be getting "liquid gold drops " from the naked filter. Whilst it may not have been a perfect pour, reading between the lines it seems something has changed the last few weeks...

Suggest beans to me as well

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au

Thanks all for the comments and now that I think about it the first few pours after adding fresh beans are a lot better than the later.

I realise that this is a topic of contention but I have been filling the hopper with approx 250g of fresh beans and using them over a few days. This maybe affecting the quality quicker than if I was to pour a smaller amount and decant back into storage when not in use. Would beans deteriorate that quickly ?

I have just tried a shot with the grinder set to a finer setting and the pour is much slower... down for 10 and then up to put pressure on the puck. From there about 5 seconds or so to the first drops which turn into a steady stream. I will measure but guessing around 30ml in 25 seconds.

Anthony... I have adjusted the grinder by running and turning until grind stopped coming out and then backed off until grinds started again. From where it stopped to started again puts me at about 9 on the adjuster.

Having gone finer there is a lot less grinds in the basket as less comes out for the same time period but the pour seems to be the better for it.

Will keep playing and am very much enjoying the journey.

Thanks all

Alastair

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggers View Post
    Thanks all for the comments and now that I think about it the first few pours after adding fresh beans are a lot better than the later.

I realise that this is a topic of contention but I have been filling the hopper with approx 250g of fresh beans and using them over a few days. This maybe affecting the quality quicker than if I was to pour a smaller amount and decant back into storage when not in use. Would beans deteriorate that quickly ?

Alastair
    Yes,storing the beans in the hopper, particularly in hot weather, will increase the speed at which they go stale by quite a bit. Anyway, until you sort yourself out, why not just eliminate this as a possible source of the problem, and put 2 or 3 shots worth of genuinely fresh beans in the hopper each session?

Hoggers - many of us just single dose. I have a cheap scale from Ebay that goes to 0.01g (fully aware that it won't be 100% accurate) but dose exactly 16g each time (give or take a bean). It has improved my game a lot. Even if I am making coffee for 6 or so people, i still do it and weigh between shots or while its pouring. I don't really even think twice now. That way my beans keep fresher for longer.
    Dimal likes this.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13