Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree401Likes

Thread: Izzo Alex Leva

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Hi Terrence,

All I can suggest is is that you knock on the door of the Sydney Izzo dealers (Jetblack/Di Bartoli) and ask....

In the meantime, we're doing complimentary airport pickups, but the excess baggage for the flight home is a b!tch
    Thanks for that

Hi All,
    My Izzo Leva arrived yesterday afternoon from Chris @ Talk Coffee and it is like a piece of furniture- Absolutely beautiful!
    Due to the tyranny of distance and Atilla the Hun being considered gentle when it comes to most couriers delivering to Rocky, Chris BUILT a crate on top of the pallet out of plywood, so the machine arrived in perfect condition. I am very impressed and very grateful. Once again Chris has fantastic after sales service.
    Suffice to say after buying three machines and a grinder from Chris over the years I would highly recommend him and bot shop anywhere else.

My first few shots were ordinary (at best) however this is due to operator inexperience and the beans, rather than the machine - todays shots were fantastic and should get better as I learn to use her, however a very steep learning curve for me
    Any tips greatly appreciated
    i will keep you updated
    Cheers
    Dr Dave
    chokkidog and TC like this.

Congratulations Doc!!

I've had the privilege of seeing this machine and have Chris pull some great shots.

You have just purchased an espress pass to nirvana! ;-D

Good luck with the learning curve, I hope it's short and sweet.
    TC likes this.

TC
    Pix Dr_Dave.... We need happy snaps!

Hope you enjoy the machine. They're actually really easy and you will in time see that the bullseye is much larger than with pump machines.

I wish you many godshots and thank you for your kind words and ongoing support- neither of which we take for granted.

Enjoy the new kit!

Chris

P.S: We're crating all Alex Leva machines as the packaging was a rush job to get them to us. It's not up to the usual Izzo standard.

On a day when our wonderful freight company delivered a machine where they decided to fork the actual machine rather than the skid we affixed it to, it's a reminder that freight companies don't care about anything other than $$$.

Cheers Chris,
    I will try and take a shot this weekend
    MUCH better shots today.I think comparable to my best ever previously. Combination of fresh beans and increasing temp to 123C
    Loving it BTW
    Thanks again
    Dave

I'm still waiting impatiently for my Leva plus Kony e.
    The dreaded freight right across the country.
    Never used a lever machine, so combination of grind / dose / temp and lever technique will no doubt be a challenge.
    Any tips or advice appreciated.
    Still have a faultless Cimbali as backup.

Greg.

Izzo Alex Leva

First post here, so I should start by saying "hi."

I am following this thread with great interest, as I have pre-purchased an Alex Leva from a US distributor. Chris provided some very helpful info via email, and were I in Australia I would have purchased my machine from him.

I'm looking forward to some photos and more feedback on putting the machine to use.

Show us some photo shots even with your cell phone~

Anyone know if Dimattina have one yet , will it be on demo as I would love to try it out.

$4500 is going to take some pushing through the finance minister though.

TC
    Yes- Dimattina Perth have one.

Hi All,
    Apologies for delays in posting, but we have been under the pump at work and I haven't had a chance to date

I bought my Izzo Leva from Chris at Talk Coffee 2 weeks ago and I have to say that I love the lever! It is always difficult buying from a distance when you haven't seen the actual item, however I think this demonstrates my trust in Chris.
    Living in Rockhampton means that you are not able to "pop in" to a reputable dealer, but owning a Duetto 2 (which is the same foot print) and having purchased 3 machines and a grinder from Chris previously meant I was as prepared as I could be. I liked the simplicity of a lever in an isolated place as there is less to service or fail.

I have always wanted a lever machine- I like the idea of no noise and the "feel" of pulling a lever to extract coffee. I guess this also reminds me of my youth, as a junior doctor hanging out in a wonderful Italian cafe watching the very "chic" Italian girls make superb coffee with a lever machine!

My impressions - beautifully finished with meticulous attention to detail means it is like a piece of fine furniture.
    As to the coffee - well I am still learning and am far from an expert, however I am making very consistent shots - more consistently than I was with the Duetto I think. I made two coffee's the other day that I said were my "best ever" - a big call, but its true
    i did increase the boiler temperature to 123C after a chat to Chris as at the preset (120C), the coffee was just a touch sour. However I had previously increased my Duetto temp also to get a similar result, this seems to suit the beans that I use

The leva is tall, particularly when the bench is over 1 metre high and Chris and I discussed how my partner (5 foot 2") would cope with an 11 bar spring at that height. I am happy to relay that there have been no issues and she loves it too. It isn't difficult to pull the lever at all and the silence is magic

I will update as time goes by however my satisfaction is best summed up at a dinner time conversation when a friend asked me "which machine I would buy if I won lotto" . My answer was that I would keep this one as it is everything that I have dreamed of in a coffee machine

Cheers
    Dr Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dr_Dave; 27th March 2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    chokkidog and TC like this.

Hmmm...

Starting to think that maybe I should have bought a Lever machine - Was tossing the idea around when I bought my DJE Dual Boiler but thought that maybe the Lever action would be difficult (for me) to manage. Seems that perhaps I should have been more adventurous...

Mal.

Hi Mal,
    When I bought the Duetto 2 I thought that I wouldn't change for many years as I really liked the Duetto (which was great) and we couldn't plumb in a machine where we were (rental), however we moved house and the stars seem to align.
    It has cost me some money to change - (I wanted the Duetto serviced so I knew it was perfect before sale) plus transport costs HOWEVER I am very happy with my decision and don't see a change for many years

In my job I see many tragedies and often think that life is short and hence we must live it now so this also influenced my decision

I would encourage you to visit a dealer and see if you can manage the lever - if you can - Go for it.
    If you are ever up here, pop in and try mine!

Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by Dr_Dave; 27th March 2014 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Grammar...

Alas Doc....

I no longer have the funds for a change up of any significance, but like you were with your Duetto, I am very pleased with the performance of my DJE and it is really a matter of just missing the boat with my original indecision...

Mal.

Hi Chris
    Can you please provide dimensions for the machine. In particular the height of the lever and the lever's distance from the back and front of the machine as I need to know if it will clear my overhead cupboards.

I'd also need to run it from a bottle so any pump and bottle will have to sit on the bench:
    1. Does the flojet need to have that huge wand that inserts into the water bottle or can you just use a plastic tube/pipe?
    2. What other options are there to the flojet?

Cheers
    Javabeen

you lucky coffee lovers. I am still waiting for mine in Canada.

Hi Chris, what is your take on precision baskets and shower screen like this one from IMS?

Search results | IMS

I started to search for it as I still don't know if filter basket came with the unit or not.

TC
    Hi javabeen,

Dimensions are in the product information on our website.

Why not come in with you tape measure and you can sample the machine at the same time? Let me know if you'd like to make a time.

Flojet- I regret that it must be used as per the graphics as the wand also senses water and provides a cutout when water level is low. As per my previous post, the Alex Leva wiring loom includes provision for an external rotary pump and motor to which you could fit a non return valve and then run the machine from a smaller container. This would however be a more expensive solution.

Hope that helps....

Chris

I visited Dimattina on the weekend (do most weeks to pickup beans anyway) buy no luck on the Leva :-(.
    I have send them an email asking about it.

In the meantime, would one of the wonderful people who have access one do me a huge favor ?
    I'd like to see (and hear) a double pulled from this machine, how does it differ from a single shot ?
    Any chance you could post a video of the process ?

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by amellor View Post
    I visited Dimattina on the weekend (do most weeks to pickup beans anyway) buy no luck on the Leva :-(.

In the meantime, would one of the wonderful people who have access one do me a huge favor ?
    I'd like to see (and hear) a double pulled from this machine, how does it differ from a single shot ?
    They definitely have one amellor. Perhaps try to speak with Steve or Simon. The cafe staff may not know it has arrived.

Cheers

Chris
    amellor likes this.

Thanks Chris,

Hi amellor,

I received my Leva (plus grinder) recently and am using a Flojet pump.
    The Flojet wand has a rubber seal that fixes securely to the top of the bottle you're drawing from. It is designed to be used with the cylindrical bottle typically used in office water coolers. However, I discovered it fits perfectly over one of the cube shaped water bottles from a camping shop. These come in sizes from 10 to 20 litres. They are the ones where you can fit the drain tap to the bottom of the container. I am using a 15 L as it fits under the shelf in that particular kitchen cupboard.
    The Flojet uses weird American thread on it's fittings. They are not compatible with the (BSP?) on the Leva. I had to hunt for the correct fitting before plumbing.
    Have not had much time with the new gear as I had to travel, but have been getting some pretty good pours.
    Still have to find optimum boiler temp setting and pf dosing weight. Just bought some scales to help zero in on the dosing.
    Want to get home to play with the new toys!

Greg.

TC
    Hi Greg,

Glad to hear that the crate survived the journey and arrived unscathed!

Thanks for the heads up on the Flojet issue. Phil set up our play machine with a Flojet and I was unaware that there was a thread incompatibility. I'll ensure that we cover that with any other combos we sell. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Dosing- fill the double to a slight mound, distribute and then brush off to full and level. No collapse is required due to the low shower screen. Tamp and then shoot. Adjust your grinder as required. As a start point, try circa 120 deg C if you're using our coffee.

Enjoy your new kit. They are an amazing machine.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by gregbme View Post
    Hi amellor,

I received my Leva (plus grinder) recently and am using a Flojet pump.
    The Flojet wand has a rubber seal that fixes securely to the top of the bottle you're drawing from. It is designed to be used with the cylindrical bottle typically used in office water coolers. However, I discovered it fits perfectly over one of the cube shaped water bottles from a camping shop. These come in sizes from 10 to 20 litres. They are the ones where you can fit the drain tap to the bottom of the container. I am using a 15 L as it fits under the shelf in that particular kitchen cupboard.
    The Flojet uses weird American thread on it's fittings. They are not compatible with the (BSP?) on the Leva. I had to hunt for the correct fitting before plumbing.
    Have not had much time with the new gear as I had to travel, but have been getting some pretty good pours.
    Still have to find optimum boiler temp setting and pf dosing weight. Just bought some scales to help zero in on the dosing.
    Want to get home to play with the new toys!

Greg.
    Hi Greg

Congrats on the purchase, I'm envious to say the least!

Does the flojet operate every time you pull a shot? How noisy is it in operation?

Could you use a smaller water bottle, like a 5 or 10 litre bottle? Or would the wand not be stable and tip the bottle over?

Though it's early days for you yet, how are you finding using the machine?

Javabeen.

Hello all,

First up, for simplest connection of pump to machine, delete the factory supplied inlet hose.
    Then work out a solution of connecting the 6mm (1/4"? can't remember) tube to the inlet fitting. I found fittings at a reticulation shop. There is a selection of fittings designed to slip straight onto the 6mm tube.
    Add whatever adaptor is req'd. Those in the city will have access to a better range of options.
    The Flojet only pumps when the boiler needs a refill, so certainly not every time you pull a shot.
    With the cupboard door shut, the pump noise is not intrusive, though you certainly know it's on.
    I believe the smallest of these cube type water bottles is 10 litre. With the wand's rubber seal fitting tightly there is no entry point for under-the-counter critters to enter!
    I had to make a small cutout in the shelf above to accommodate the height of the wand using a small hole saw and Japanese saw. Paint edges for moisture control - easy.
    Once upright in even an empty bottle, the wand could not tip with my setup. The wand is lightweight.
    Since I already had one, I drilled a 60mm hole in the corner of my bench top, then used a plastic grommet as infill. The type used for cabling to a computer desk. Bunnings.
    For a drain bottle I use (now empty) filtered water bottle I filled the supply bottle with.
    As a drain bottle fills, I can toss it out and replace with a sparkly new one. No cleaning.

Finding the lever action a novelty, and very simple and silent to use.
    Naked pf is fun, and allows good cup clearance.
    Great to see tiger striping plus a centred stream straight from the basket.
    Shots so far seem a touch "creamier" than on my old machine, and yes though early days I have pulled some lovely shots.
    Will take some time getting accustomed to steaming on the RHS, and been playing with the selection of tips.
    Still have to refine my grind and prep.

As a passing comment, if the machine is switched off at 7pm, then 5.30am next day the group is still slightly warm to the touch! Has been terribly hot weather, but was very surprised at that.

Thanks Chris for the heads up on dosing.
    The crate arrived in perfect condition.

Kony e is working as expected. Had to change the factory set grind a bit coarser, plus that eliminated initial clumping.

Can't wait to get back home to my good coffee.

Greg.

Hi Greg

Thanks for the detailed response

How big is the drip tray, any idea how much waste liquid it holds? It looks nice and deep from the pics Chris took. Waste bottle isn't an option for me.

I'd love to see a video of the machine in action with you pulling a shot or two if you get a chance

Cheers
    Javabeen.

Two spouts,one cup.Video.
    Last edited by bezzieman; 7th April 2014 at 02:37 AM.
    Dragunov21 likes this.

Izzo Alex Leva

Quick question Chris. You have height of machine listed as 800mm, which I assume us height to top of lever. What is the height to the top of the multi level cup holder? Need to feedback to architect for pantry joinery. Currently have 550mm between bench and cupboard above. Cupboard above is setback, so no problem with lever height.

TC
    I'll check for you Mark. At any rate the only attachment of the cup holder is by 4 pop rivets. Easy to remove and easy to reinstate at any time ;-)

Cheers

Chris

I've been following this thread since several month, as the Alex-leva is a fascinating machine and I would like to have one. It seems that they don't intend to sell it in Europe. Could somebody comment the differences to the Pompei, which has the same group and is fascinating as well - but larger and more expensive.

The obvious first point is the width, with only 37cm instead of 48 which makes a difference in a small kitchen.

Second, the weight: It is only ~35kg instead of ~65kg (61kg sometimes).
    What is the reason, as the boiler (5l )and the group are the same? The heating almost the same power.
    Is it only ballast on the Pompei for stability or is it a different construction?

Third, the PID: It is clear that it is very conveniant to see the changes in the setup. Is it more a question of comfort, or does the PID keep the temperature stable in a significant smaller range than the pressostat could?

Does anybody know both machines and could tell about his personal impression of differences on machine and shots- although on a very high level and worth a bit of dreaming.
    Peter

TC
    Hi Peter,

They are essentially the same machine and there is zero difference in shot.

The PID- extremely handy as this is a dipper group design. Change boiler temp and you have a corresponding change at the group.

Mass? The leva is on a smaller and lighter chassis and has less- though plenty of ballast.

They're both terrific machines though we have already sold more Alex Leva machines than 1 group Pompei- and not surprisingly as they are a good fit for domestic use.

Chris

Having had a Strega and having now a Pompeii I would never go back to a smaller lever.
    First of all the Pompeii has huge cupstoring space Right now I have 30 cappu cups and 30 espressocups on the racks.Which is just very practical.
    But most of all I love the stability of the machine.The big frame gives the machine rock stability which gives a much more comfortable feeling when pulling a shot.
    Although my Strega never tilted it did feel a little unstable sometimes.The Strega weight in at 33 kg I think so about the same as the Alex leva.
    If you got the space for it I'ld go for the Pompei.
    Dr_Dave likes this.

TC
    I'm yet to weigh an Alex Leva as I have nothing which registers beyond 30kg. The cartons are much heavier than the Duetto. As a guesstimate, more like 40kg.

Hi,
    I suspect Chris is spot on - My Leva, pallet, + box was 68kg (weighed by courier) . Though I haven't weighed the machine itself
    Cheers

Thank you for your supportive answers - especially Talk-coffee.

I was already thinking about logistic around the globe
    and found right in the last moment a trader with the first Leva's in Germany.
    They were not even on the Web.

It will soon brew the beans roasted in my Behmor or Huky.
    Peter
    BeanBrat likes this.

TC
    Congratulations Peter,

You will love your new machine!

Alex arrived home today . I've set it up and first shot pulled I was very impressed, the coffee is smoother with more definition and flavor. I was blown away by milk texturing performance, it was very easy to get silky milk even my wife commented it was much improved. Its coupled to a Mazzer Kony e, I'm now in coffee heaven. I'll post more later, just wanted to share.
    Thank you Chris at Talk Coffee, I've been a long time customer and you stepped it up again with your service. Very much appreciated.
    May everyone's shots pour like liquid gold.

Javabeen.
    Last edited by javabeen; 19th April 2014 at 03:26 PM.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by javabeen View Post
    Alex arrived home today . I've set it up and first shot pulled I was very impressed, the coffee is smoother with more definition and flavor. I was blown away by milk texturing performance, it was very easy to get silky milk even my wife commented it was much improved. Its coupled to a Mazzer Kony e, I'm now in coffee heaven. I'll post more later, just wanted to share.
    Thank you Chris at Talk Coffee, I've been a long time customer and you stepped it up again with your service. Very much appreciated.
    May everyone's shots pour like liquid gold.

Javabeen.
    Welcome to the leva club javabeen,

I'm sure you will never look back!

Chris

Hi,

I'm eager to pull the trigger on one of these (already suggesting to the missus when to get the plumber in )
    but I still have a few questions,

What is the Warm up time, What's the morning process with the dipper ? do you simply wait then go, or should you pull a blank shot at some point to allow things get up to temp ?

Post shot, how long does it take to 'relieve' the pressure in the portafilter after a shot ? If you are making multiple coffee's does it slow down the process ?

Cleanup, no 3 way valve, so is there no backflushing ? what is the cleaning process ?

TC
    I'm eager to pull the trigger on one of these (already suggesting to the missus when to get the plumber in )
    but I still have a few questions

What is the Warm up time, What's the morning process with the dipper ? do you simply wait then go, or should you pull a blank shot at some point to allow things get up to temp ?
    We generally recommend a 45 min warm up and a squirt of 50ml to get everything all warm. Thereafter, back to back is fine. It's possible to get things warm enough earlier (25 min) with a warming flush.

Post shot, how long does it take to 'relieve' the pressure in the portafilter after a shot ? If you are making multiple coffee's does it slow down the process ?
    It will depend on the shot. If you choke it- some minutes. A jiggle of the lever combined with a p/f burp will generally result in a mess free removal. If it runs normally, perhaps a minute. It's definitely slower than an e-61.

Cleanup, no 3 way valve, so is there no backflushing ? what is the cleaning process ?
    Pull the shower screen every so often and have a clean/soak in backflush detergent. The group seal doesn't require removal to do this. A pair of circlip pliers is required to remove the shower screen. The simplicity of these machines makes for a trouble free existence. No doubt CS owners will chime in. There are a few now

Hope that helps!

Chris

@Bezzieman and Dr. Dave
    I'weighed my new Alex'Eva and it is quite exactly 46kg, as noted in the manual.
    This includes the lever and the cup rack, but not the portafilter and no water (just as dry as delivered).
    Although you can identify minor (really minor) bending of the front plate, I cannot identify any instability.
    The center of gravity of the 46kg +x is in the rear part.

Btw, does anybody kow how much water it sucks into the 5l boiler? It needed not too many seconds to fill at start.

The carton (as delivered in Europe) is 55kg containing all the stuff, including 4 cans of coffee.

I have my Alex since one weeks to look at and today it has been plumped in.
    What I was not really aware before that there is a seperate switch to warm up the cups by releasing steam on the top, underneath the cups.

Additional to all the appraisals, which I just can absolutely confirm,
    I'd just like to share my first impressions - some still in the box - as these photos are normally not the typical presentation, but were for me the real start of beeing impressed and feeling high- by unpacking a real man's toy.
    I assume that inside the additional wooden overseas packing is the same content (maybe without coffee to avoid tax trouble)

Open the box:

First feeling: it might be impressive:

Nice mechanical details:

closeup of front

Even the first cups are smooth, with soft mouth feeling, wonderfull
    Peter
    BeanBrat, Dimal, Dr_Dave and 2 others like this.

Thank you Peter for the photos and first impressions - please keep us updated with more soon!

Sniff

TC
    Congratulations on the new kit Peter! Our first batch have now sold out but timing is good. We have more arriving tomorrow!

Great news it has arrived and relatively unscathed
    You will love it, they are brilliant machines and it is easy to produce great shots.
    I increased my boiler temp to 123C as it suited the beans that I use and this produced sweeter shots. Chris tells me that in Italy some run them very hot - even to 130C from, memory. Don't be afraid to play with the temp
    Enjoy it!
    Cheers
    Dr Dave
    javabeen and TC like this.

Congrats Peter

I too have noticed the shots have a creamier mouthfeel than my previous machine (VBM Domobar Super). I don't know the reason why, maybe it's the profile the lever applies, not sure, maybe Chris can enlighten us, I'm just enjoying them all the more.

And Dr Dave is spot on when he says don't be afraid to play with the temp. I had mine at 123c for one particular bean and now at 122 for some of Talk Coffee's Mocha Java blend and it seems to balance the choc and citrus nicely for my palate.

Keep us posted. Have fun playing.

Javabeen.
    Dr_Dave and TC like this.

if boiler temp is 12x degree c, what is the group head temperature? the water hitting the grind?

yes, playing with the temp seems to be interesting.
    I am surprized to hear about 123C or 121C. Mine was delivered with 127C presetting - to fit the dark roasted Izzo beans - as I was told on the phone. (The range acc. to my manual is 121C to 128C. )
    At these relevant lower temperatures, is it right that there is less steam power and different steam quality, as the pressure is directly connected to the temp?

One question to Alex owners:
    It it normal that that for the time it takes in water from the line, the display is off ?
    Then it shows 1.04 for a half second - like during start-up - before showing the temp again?
    I first thought that the water pressure would not fit and tried between 4bar and 2.5bar on the pressure reducing device in the basement, but without any effect.
    Peter

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter42 View Post
    yes, playing with the temp seems to be interesting.
    I am surprized to hear about 123C or 121C. Mine was delivered with 127C presetting - to fit the dark roasted Izzo beans - as I was told on the phone. (The range acc. to my manual is 121C to 128C. )
    At these relevant lower temperatures, is it right that there is less steam power and different steam quality, as the pressure is directly connected to the temp?
    Our coffee on average is significantly lighter roast than the Izzo product. As a result it requires a lower temperature.

Re temp/steam- slightly lower power, but more than ample.

One question to Alex owners:
    It it normal that that for the time it takes in water from the line, the display is off ?
    Then it shows 1.04 for a half second - like during start-up - before showing the temp again?
    I first thought that the water pressure would not fit and tried between 4bar and 2.5bar on the pressure reducing device in the basement, but without any effect.
    Peter
    Yes Peter- 100% normal. The PID switches off and power is cut to the boiler element when the autofill cuts in. This is to protect the element in case of a drained boiler

Cheers

Chris

It's done. Newest owner here, but there's a problem.
    the supplied hoses wont reach, and the plumber is coming on Friday. I hope they can sort something out, though the braided hose looks special with the 90 degree connecter.

On another note, shortest product manual i've ever read

Chris, Can you tell me where I might be able to buy a naked portafilter ?

TC
    Hi amellor and congrats on becoming the latest CS'er to own one.

An extension of the inlet hose- easily done in either John Guest or braided- so don't worry.

I'll add a naked portafilter to our website for you. Naked Portafilter | Talk Coffee

Enjoy the newie. I know you will!

Chris

I finally got me new machine connected to mains... temporarily, there is a drip leak :-(

However i'm a bit concerned about the water coming out of it. I've attached a picture with the water out of the filter tap vs the water out of the machine.
    the cloudy one with the white sediment is from the machine.

Has anyone else had this with their machine ? suggestions on what I should do welcome. I am going try and cycle a few liters through it to see if the sediment goes away.

There is one other Issue, when the machine is at pressure, it sometimes has trouble filling the tank and sounds an alarm. this required me to power off the machine and one again. I'm currently suspecting I need a higher plv in front of the filter (I have a 350kpa plv in front of the water filter) to counter the pressure from the boiler, any other thoughts we here have ?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast