Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree385Likes

Thread: Izzo Alex Leva

TC

Izzo Alex Leva

Ursula.jpgUrsula 2.jpg

Izzo Alex Leva

Here's the machine many of us have been waiting for and it was a massive surprise to see it at HOST today. Apols for the crappy phone pics. We asked for it 2 years ago, but the answer was always "not planned at this stage".

From my lagged recall of what I saw it's a 5L boiler, PID, dedicated plumbed and uses the wonderful SM group of the Pompei. In effect, it's the more compact Pompei we have all been waiting for.

Shots have been pulled, build is terrific and it has an inbuilt steam warmer function beneath the drip tray. I'm thrilled.

Distance from spouts to cup tray is tight, but it's nothing that a naked won't solve and we have requested that one be investigated as part of the Aussie kit for the machine.

They are going into production in November and we'll airfreight some for santa to add to some very lucky Christmas stockings...

Very excitement!

Chris
    Last edited by CraigDavey; 30th October 2013 at 08:21 AM.
    NakiChap, DScanes, Jonty and 3 others like this.

Love it.

Dual spring in a compact domestic footprint, how's the lever feel? Same as the Pompeii? Very much looking forward to a play with this one.

The cutaway with the spring reveal is awesome! Hope that stays in the production model.
    The finish looks great.
    3rutu5 likes this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by coffee_machinist View Post
    Love it.

Dual spring in a compact domestic footprint, how's the lever feel? Same as the Pompeii? Very much looking forward to a play with this one.
    Hi Rick,

The lever felt rock solid to me- same as the Pompei. There is plenty of ballast in the machine and it was really stable...

Me too for more play. I plan to pull some more shots today and can't wait to have them available in Australia...

Quote Originally Posted by chokkidog View Post
    The cutaway with the spring reveal is awesome! Hope that stays in the production model.

The finish looks great.
    Hi chokki,

The cutaway is a cert. It is the same group as used on the Pompei- so it will definitely make it to market.

Finish is as per the 2014 Duetto which incorporates some lovely quality improvements- inside and out...

I am expecting identical performance to the Pompei which in our three years of experience with it just works!

Cheers

Chris
    SniffCoffee and chokkidog like this.

This is great news.

Funnily enough when I visited Chris and Phil in December last year Chris mentioned he'd love to put a lever group onto the Alex Duetto - looks like wishes do come true!

Sniff
    TC likes this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by SniffCoffee View Post
    This is great news.

Funnily enough when I visited Chris and Phil in December last year Chris mentioned he'd love to put a lever group onto the Alex Duetto - looks like wishes do come true!

Sniff
    Sure do Sniff! I'm really glad that I asked for it. Must have somehow planted a seed! This one looks to go very close to being my perfect lever machine. Spout to cup distance is a little tighter than the duetto. A standard Aussie latte glass will need a naked I'd think but boy- I sure was impressed with everything else I saw. It would have been good to have covers off but I guess that would be unfair on a pre-production machine.

On a complete tangent, I also saw a Rocket R58 with see through side panels (just perspex for the show) and it was the perfect tutorial in how to execute this concept correctly. Incredible build and attention to detail. Pics will follow later...

Rocket are also doing profiling with a new commercial model. Really impressive machine (note to self get some phone pics today)...

Cheers

Chris

.... Chris mentioned he'd love to put a lever group onto the Alex Duetto - looks like wishes do come true!

Sniff
    but presumably this is still a single boiler / Dipper system, same as the Pompei was ?

Hi Chris,
    As you know I trust your opinion . So when you say "Here's the machine many of us have been waiting for..." and "In effect, it's the more compact Pompei we have all been waiting for.." my ears prick up!
    What sets this one apart from the pack? and any rough idea of price yet? How would it compare to a Pompeii Nuova? (Which the wife thinks is too big for our kitchen)
    Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dave View Post
    Hi Chris,
    As you know I trust your opinion . So when you say "Here's the machine many of us have been waiting for..." and "In effect, it's the more compact Pompei we have all been waiting for.." my ears prick up!
    What sets this one apart from the pack? and any rough idea of price yet? How would it compare to a Pompeii Nuova? (Which the wife thinks is too big for our kitchen)
    Cheers
    Dave
    +1, this could be the nirvana Dave!!

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dave View Post
    Hi Chris,
    Cheers
    Dave
    Hi Dave,

I do think this will be the answer for you in that I can see no reason why it shouldn't behave near enough to identical (If not exactly the same) as what we see with the Pompei/Izzo.

Pricing is not yet available from GI but ballpark will obviously be somewhere between the Duetto 2014 model and the Izzo (aka Nuova Pompei). I do know that the groups cost a bomb though. I have way more respect for the SM group used in the Izzo over the CMA version and I think this is integral to the performance we experience.

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    but presumably this is still a single boiler / Dipper system, same as the Pompei was ?
    I'm not sure what your point is but my reading is negativity. No surprise I guess ::-)

Yep and it's a bloody good thing in my opinion. We simply use our machine and it does exactly what we want. No Londinium tango, no thermosiphon waltz and no tongue to the left whilst pulling shots on one foot to seek consistency. In my experience, it just works.
    Last edited by TC; 21st October 2013 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    Yes, my post perhaps misled- I should have said lever group on the Alex Duetto chassis- as Chris has confirmed, the internals will be like the Pompeii.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is but my reading is negativity. No surprise I guess ::-).
    .... No Londinium tango, no thermosiphon waltz and no tongue to the left whilst pulling shots on one foot to seek consistency. ...
    I was trying to confirm that it retained the proven "Pompeii" configuration, rather than the implied dual boiler of the Duetto.
    ..your cynicism and bias is becoming a little ingrained !

TC
    Ok then b52. Mere text has once again let us/me down. My apologies.

Chris,

re the clearance, is the drip tray on the Duetto/Ursula a very deep one?

Looking at the photos it seems so - perhaps it could be lowered? (Or will that interfere with the steam warmer function you mentioned?)

Is there any chance the machine can be ordered from the factory with the steam arm on the left hand side? (if not, perhaps Rick can modify it?)

Sniff

TC
    Hi Sniff,

It's on the Alex chassis and so uses the same drip tray.

The group is a touch lower and at HOST, pro rather than shorter domestic spouts were employed.

Re steam arm- it may be possible as I saw an Alex with LHS steam and it has been traditionally right. More likely, the 5L boiler is redeployed in the Ursula, existing anatomy suits RHS steam better. It's the same on the Pompei. Nothing that Rick couldn't solve I'd think- though potentially at the cost of some extra condensation from a longer run.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris.

I think this is the lever I've been holding out for. Still enjoying playing with my Breville dual boiler, but really keen on the concept of a silent, old school lever. New house build commencing soon, and butler's pantry will have coffee station with specific plumbing for machine. Quick question on the boiler size. 5L is a lot of water to heat for my morning weekday flat white. Any reason for such a big boiler in a domestic machine? Could a smaller boiler be specified, or is that size required for temperature stability/other reasons?

Cheers,

Mark.

Quite funky ... would sure sting a bit if you got something caught in that exposed spring

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkZammit View Post
    Hi Chris.

I think this is the lever I've been holding out for. Still enjoying playing with my Breville dual boiler, but really keen on the concept of a silent, old school lever. New house build commencing soon, and butler's pantry will have coffee station with specific plumbing for machine. Quick question on the boiler size. 5L is a lot of water to heat for my morning weekday flat white. Any reason for such a big boiler in a domestic machine? Could a smaller boiler be specified, or is that size required for temperature stability/other reasons?

Cheers,

Mark.
    Hi Mark,

Firstly you won't be heating 5L water as the entire boiler is not full. There's steam in there too!

As for a smaller one, I'd doubt it- reason being that they are using the existing Pompei boiler which is configured to suit this lever group. I am unsure whether the boiler is likely to be insulated or not at this stage as we have not seen inside the unit yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanBrat View Post
    Quite funky ... would sure sting a bit if you got something caught in that exposed spring
    What were you planning on putting in there B_B and why?

Thanks Chris.

Will have to make contact during the build. Just around the corner from you in Northcote, coffee capital of the Universe.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkZammit View Post
    Thanks Chris.

Will have to make contact during the build. Just around the corner from you in Northcote, coffee capital of the Universe.
    Sounds like a plan Mark. Come down for shots one Saturday morn and I'll show you what you can expect to experience in the cup...

Ok.. now I am in trouble.. I wanted the Pompeii but just don't have the bench depth for it.. so I got the Duetto II, now I know this will fit on my bench.. Ahh looks awesome Chris, any tips on how to explain to the wife why this is a necessary change?

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausnadian View Post
    Ok.. now I am in trouble.. I wanted the Pompeii but just don't have the bench depth for it.. so I got the Duetto II, now I know this will fit on my bench.. Ahh looks awesome Chris, any tips on how to explain to the wife why this is a necessary change?
    Ahh...Hmm...You could tell her it's the same machine but you just changed the group?

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Ahh...Hmm...You could tell her it's the same machine but you just changed the group?
    and THAT'S why you are a good business man.. with all my tinkering she might believe that!

TC
    Alrighty,

Specs have been set and it will draw 1750W. Sadly, Ursula (the name of Mr Izzo's daughter) did not prevail. This machine has become the Izzo Alex Leva.

RRP looks to be about $4.5k (will know for certain once we land the first batch...)

Chris
    Last edited by CraigDavey; 6th November 2013 at 05:32 PM.

Good looking machine and you can't beat the SM Lever. I just wish SM would bring out a domestic like this!! That way I could have a "demo" on my bench at home ;-)

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasanmarcomelb View Post
    Good looking machine and you can't beat the SM Lever. I just wish SM would bring out a domestic like this!! That way I could have a "demo" on my bench at home ;-)
    Sure is Lsm...As always, crappy phone pix really don't do it justice.

I'll post some better ones as soon as I have them...
    Lasanmarcomelb likes this.

Is this a new special Austrailian version?
    I can't find anything about a new Izzo Alex Leva here in Germany / Europe about it.

Ok, I've a Behmor from CS and being called coffee-geek from my friends therefore,
    but even thinking about an italian espresso machine via Australia sounds really weird.

Peter

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter42 View Post
    Is this a new special Austrailian version?
    I can't find anything about a new Izzo Alex Leva here in Germany / Europe about it....

Peter
    Hi Peter,

We have secured a nice allocation for early Christmas presents, but the Alex Leva will also be available in Europe. It was only released a few weeks ago at HOST.

I am wrapped that this machine has finally made it to production- 3 years after we floated the idea

So...Chris...are they here yet?

TC
    ETA 1 week Sniff....

Has anybody seen them wandering around, waiting for customs clearance?
    Or are they still in Italy, afraid of entering the Alitalia flight due to technical issues?
    Seems that still after the 10. and 28. Jan. there is still opportunity to practice patience.

TC
    Hi Peter,

We're as frustrated as you and we're not even in Germany. They left Naples on 21 January but were pulled for customs inspection half way (told them not to stash any coffee in the boxes).

We're assured that they are close. I expect they will clear customs this week and we'll update the thread as soon as they have.

Dec-Jan is shocking at the Aust. ports- leave, holidays etc and stuff literally backs up into February. We're not the only business to experience these delays.

Thanks for the reply. Especially in the name of the Australian coffee snobs.
    For me here in Germany it is interesting and I am curious, but it is far away.

It is strange that here in Europe you here nothing about it - even Izzo doesn't answer on email request.
    (it seems that optimists can send money to Romania for an order, which is somehow the very outback of Europe)

I would even say that for you down-under it is good news that they are on the way, which is that the rest should be solved in a week or so. This is no more waiting for some future end of technical developement or manufacturing problems.

Good luck,
    curious on experience reports

TC
    Hooray!

These have finally cleared customs and will be with us tomorrow.

We'll have one on the bench on Wednesday.

And here I was thinking about dropping in on Friday for a visit!........... ;-D

The timing.......:-D
    TC likes this.

Will look foward to lots of piccies and feedback Chris
    TC likes this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by chokkidog View Post
    And here I was thinking about dropping in on Friday for a visit!........... ;-D

The timing.......:-D
    Looks like the planets are about to align for you chokki

Will look forward to lots of piccies and feedback Chris
    That's a given Sniff!

I can't wait either...One may displace the GS/3 at home for a while....

TC
    Here's a very quick and rough phone pic... We have just put one up on the bench but yet to turn it on...

• It's damn heavy! I'd guess 40kg...
    • The numbers were a little better than what we hoped, so we will most probably include a freebie naked
    • multi-storey cup storage with steam heater on tap!
    • 4 x steam tip supplied...

Shots will sadly have to wait until tomorrow now.
    Alex Leva.jpg

TC
    Rick worked his magic yesterday and took some incredible pics of the Alex Leva (and the new Vivi) for us. We pulled our demos down for internal photos as well.

Big surprise when we removed the case for a look see inside. It's heavy! The ballast is in the casing which weighs in at 14.5kg. It's there to stop the machine from tipping- leading to overall weight of 40kg by guesstimate.

Pics to come...
    Last edited by TC; 9th February 2014 at 09:17 AM.

TC
    JeanetteT and SniffCoffee like this.

TC

Okay Chris, Rick & Phil

You've had the machine for a while now - how about some impressions?

To help you:

1. How is the PID operating - does it operate the boiler element or heating the group?
    2. It looks like a dipper style setup?
    3. That blocked/covered tube on the back of the group - what is it?
    4. How is the temperature stability at the group? Chris, you say on your site that after an initial pull it's very stable?
    5. What's the pressure profile like and what's the max pressure the spring generates?
    6. Is swapping the steam and hot water taps a possibility? From the photos, hopefully yes?
    7. What sort of inline pressure does the boiler need to fill?
    8. Can you post some pictures of the clearance on the group with the naked PF on it?

Regards

Sniff

TC
    Okay Chris, Rick & Phil

You've had the machine for a while now - how about some impressions?
    Hi Sniff.

I think I speak for all of us when I say it's pretty impressive. The build quality? Terrific as evidenced by the pix.

Won't say much more as it's really best for potential purchasers to view the and sample the machine if at all possible and definitely have a chat about it.....

1. How is the PID operating - does it operate the boiler element or heating the group? Heats the boiler
    2. It looks like a dipper style setup? Dipper it is
    3. That blocked/covered tube on the back of the group - what is it? Sorta like an adjustment. If it's out, you can get a slow leak. I don't know much more as we have never had to touch one. More SM lever group homework required ...
    4. How is the temperature stability at the group? Chris, you say on your site that after an initial pull it's very stable? Great- confirmed by Scace.
    5. What's the pressure profile like and what's the max pressure the spring generates? Traditional SM. 11 bar wanes to 0 at the end of the shot. I am currently of the opinion (after much experimentation) that the 11 bar profile delivers a sweeter shot with a lever.
    6. Is swapping the steam and hot water taps a possibility? From the photos, hopefully yes? Possible? Yes. I wouldn't though as the steam run would be long.
    7. What sort of inline pressure does the boiler need to fill? 3 bar. The wiring loom includes provision for an external rotary pump and motor to be added. We'll most likely remove this in bench test unless required by the purchaser. For those who need to run from a bottle, a pump/motor and non-return valve provides an alternative to the flojet option.
    8. Can you post some pictures of the clearance on the group with the naked PF on it? Will do. A latte glass requires a naked.
    9. A funky steam cup warmer is installed under the top cover and it works well!

Negatives? As these are the first in the world, we received rushed packaging which is nowhere near Izzo standards. They will ship fine on a skid. Fortunately, that's all forgotten once the carton is disposed of.
    Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by TC; 16th February 2014 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks Chris, that's great.

Regards

Sniff

TC
    Alex Izzo chatting to B_B about Izzo Leva gear
    Last edited by TC; 22nd February 2014 at 09:28 AM.
    KarlS likes this.

Hi Chris,

Are we likely to see an Alex Leva on the west coast anytime soon?.

As you know I've been looking at the Duetto, but I'd really like to try this machine.

Cheers,
    Karl

TC
    Hi Karl,

Dimattina will have one around the beginning of March.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I look forward to comparing both machines.

Cheers,
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
    Hi Chris,

Are we likely to see an Alex Leva on the west coast anytime soon?.

As you know I've been looking at the Duetto, but I'd really like to try this machine.

Cheers,
    Karl
    And in Sydney?

Thanks,
    Terence

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by kwantfm View Post
    And in Sydney?

Thanks,
    Terence
    Hi Terrence,

All I can suggest is is that you knock on the door of the Sydney Izzo dealers (Jetblack/Di Bartoli) and ask....

In the meantime, we're doing complimentary airport pickups, but the excess baggage for the flight home is a b!tch

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast