Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 201 to 243 of 243
Like Tree309Likes

Thread: Rocket R58 or Profitec 700 or New ECM Dual 75 PID; So Many Questions???

  1. #201
    Senior Member trentski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Altona, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,559
    Just change one variable at a time. Dose or Grind, not both
    Magic_Matt and degaulle like this.

  2. #202
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    Just change one variable at a time. Dose or Grind, not both
    While dialing in, yes.

    Once dialed in, changing one variable will require changing the other or you can guarantee you won't get the right flow rate

    Maybe that's jumping ahead a bit much though

  3. #203
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    319
    Yep the more grounds in the basket, will reduce the flow rate (all else being equal).
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  4. #204
    Senior Member noonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MortalCoil
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by ikazooz View Post
    Great input & thank you for the mini lesson.

    so now I need new baskets 😂

    My problem is the input I've been getting is all over the place, some say 18 some 20 some 21, some say depends on the beans.. today I put 21 grams in a naked porta filter, came out beautiful, then went with 18 at the double basket - horrible result and then 12 in the single (awful).. this is on my synchronika!

    I just want a guide of what grams I should put for all 3... some people tell me do it volume based withought any measurement and leave 3mm from the rim (but how would i know before tamping, since im still trying to find out how fine i should grind my new beans.. they say keep testing grinders fine levels.. feels like I've just been wasting beans & bottles of water...
    Campos Superior

    See post 11 for a quickie guide to baskets and their preferred capacities. Beans are weighed in and out of a grinder to remove a variable, if find this especially useful when trying new beans or roast profile, for me it is generally 20g into a 20g VST. Getting the grind fineness dialled in using a constant standard weight of beans reduces waste and time wasting for me.
    shewey likes this.

  5. #205
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    26
    So guys, just outta curiosity, what's wrong with the baskets that come with the machine?
    and will you never get the optimal shot with the double basket or the naked ?

  6. #206
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by ikazooz View Post
    So guys, just outta curiosity, what's wrong with the baskets that come with the machine?
    and will you never get the optimal shot with the double basket or the naked ?
    Don't know about ECM baskets, but If I look at my Bezzera stock basket, the size of the holes varies widely and the holes are not spread across the entire surface area of the puck. This gives rise to issues with the distribution of the water and in my case, more fine grinds pass through the holes and end up in the cup. Precision baskets are designed and manufactured for each hole to have a consistent size and come closer to cover the whole puck area.
    greenman and shewey like this.

  7. #207
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    22
    What size is a standard basket? For example, my Rancilio Silvia came with two baskets (single and double). Would I be right in guessing they are 7g and 14g respectively?

  8. #208
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by ikazooz View Post
    So guys, just outta curiosity, what's wrong with the baskets that come with the machine?
    Nothing wrong at all. I make espresso closer to the classic style, so I use about 16 grams of grounds and pull about 50mls from it.

    The included baskets are perfect for that.
    ikazooz likes this.

  9. #209
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by ikazooz View Post
    Hey guys!

    Finally took delivery of my brand new machine! I recieved it while on my honeymoon and I couldn't tell ya was itching to get back home )) I wanted to thank everyone who helped me in this decision and gave me feedback on all 3 choices.

    So.... I ended up with the ECM Synchronika. The retailer from whom i bought it from said they are superior to the R58 and Splash a little bit for the upgrade over the Profitec 700.. I like the steam and hot water handle mechanism and I think its easier to use while doing a few drinks.. I paired this machine with the Compak E5 grinder.
    Hi Ikazooz,

    I also just pulled the trigger on the ECM Synchronika as well. I matched this with the ECM Titan 64 as the pair look very sexy together (even though the profitec, Eureka atom & zenith were contenders). Spoke with may suppliers but ended up going with a coffesnobs sponsor Antony @Casa Espresso who was knowledgeable, friendly and helpful throughout the process. Sometimes its just the friendly and helpful service that sways your opinion from just buying from the cheapest supplier in the market.

    I am now one happy coffeesnob...but i have that lovely anxious and sad feeling upon me.. The sad feeling that my lelit and compak K3 setup which has been rock solid for the past 2.5yrs is going to be retired that could have lasted a further 10yrs with me, but anxious and excited about the awesome new setup on the way which i am going to get my hand one.

    Thanks Antony!!!

  10. #210
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by ikazooz View Post
    Great input & thank you for the mini lesson.

    so now I need new baskets ��

    My problem is the input I've been getting is all over the place, some say 18 some 20 some 21, some say depends on the beans.. today I put 21 grams in a naked porta filter, came out beautiful, then went with 18 at the double basket - horrible result and then 12 in the single (awful).. this is on my synchronika!

    I just want a guide of what grams I should put for all 3... some people tell me do it volume based withought any measurement and leave 3mm from the rim (but how would i know before tamping, since im still trying to find out how fine i should grind my new beans.. they say keep testing grinders fine levels.. feels like I've just been wasting beans & bottles of water...
    Just don't over fill the basket or you will damage the water screen and force coffee up into that area. Try the old 5 cent trick - that is fill your basket to where you think. Place a 5 cent piece on top of the puck, then insert the handle - and take it back out (dry).

    If the coin is buried - too much coffee - go to a larger basket or reduce the volume of grounds (or grind more finely). If it is just slightly indented that is okay. With a good tamper you should be able to see how far down the grounds need to be from the rim of the basket to clear the screen.

    On my ECM I know at the grind I use, the single basket tops out at a shade over 11grams and when my tamper is just barely above the rim, I am clear of the screen. I use the tamper rings to set the double and triple baskets too.

    If you know where the tamper "high water mark" should be, you can then play with the other settings.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  11. #211
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    26
    Congrats! Exactly.. I was deadon finalizing the R58 directly from the factory with personalized engraving through a friend only to end up with the synchronika through an online retailer based in the UK for these exact reasons you mention. (Mind you I'm middle east based)

    Compak seems like s great brand for grinders.. I have the E5, yet to pull good shots but the machine looks and feels solid.

    Congrats again!


    Quote Originally Posted by madaxle View Post
    Hi Ikazooz,

    I also just pulled the trigger on the ECM Synchronika as well. I matched this with the ECM Titan 64 as the pair look very sexy together (even though the profitec, Eureka atom & zenith were contenders). Spoke with may suppliers but ended up going with a coffesnobs sponsor Antony @Casa Espresso who was knowledgeable, friendly and helpful throughout the process. Sometimes its just the friendly and helpful service that sways your opinion from just buying from the cheapest supplier in the market.

    I am now one happy coffeesnob...but i have that lovely anxious and sad feeling upon me.. The sad feeling that my lelit and compak K3 setup which has been rock solid for the past 2.5yrs is going to be retired that could have lasted a further 10yrs with me, but anxious and excited about the awesome new setup on the way which i am going to get my hand one.

    Thanks Antony!!!

  12. #212
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    26
    Very interesting.. I did your trick just now, the coin basically only went down a very very tiny bit, not even noticeable..
    this was using the double spout / basket filled with 21 grams. Shot came out a bit acidic.. I'm grinding on level 9 outtta 30 so perhaps need to go finer...

    I also hate the tamper that comes with the machine.. its convex type and when using the tamp ststion (ecm model), never comes out flat.. I also have been guilty in my barista training class to tamp terribly. I have big hands and always use pressure from my elbows.. I considered buying the manometric tamper but my wife told me to stop being so stupid and start workin with what I have for gods sake ��



    Quote Originally Posted by steve7 View Post
    Just don't over fill the basket or you will damage the water screen and force coffee up into that area. Try the old 5 cent trick - that is fill your basket to where you think. Place a 5 cent piece on top of the puck, then insert the handle - and take it back out (dry).

    If the coin is buried - too much coffee - go to a larger basket or reduce the volume of grounds (or grind more finely). If it is just slightly indented that is okay. With a good tamper you should be able to see how far down the grounds need to be from the rim of the basket to clear the screen.

    On my ECM I know at the grind I use, the single basket tops out at a shade over 11grams and when my tamper is just barely above the rim, I am clear of the screen. I use the tamper rings to set the double and triple baskets too.

    If you know where the tamper "high water mark" should be, you can then play with the other settings.

  13. #213
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    26
    Yes, 7 & 14 and 21 for The one that comes with the bottomless portafilter.


    Quote Originally Posted by shewey View Post
    What size is a standard basket? For example, my Rancilio Silvia came with two baskets (single and double). Would I be right in guessing they are 7g and 14g respectively?
    shewey likes this.

  14. #214
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    Yep the more grounds in the basket, will reduce the flow rate (all else being equal).
    More = as little as 1-2g, which is not visually noticeable but can make flow rate differences - in my experience. Anyone else have a view on this?
    You need a scale that goes to 0.0g to weigh it.

    What I do find though is that if you use a consistent technique with your dosing and levelling off the grounds the weight of grounds in the basket is remarkably similar shot to shot.
    So, to make it easy I would focus on having consistent technique shot to shot. Play with grind and see how that works.
    If it's not working for you then change your dose and play with grind again.
    Otherwise, if you want to play with dose more, get a scale that goes to 0.0g.

    For example, I grind, dose into basket, level off flat, tap once to distribute, tamp.
    Last edited by AlMac; 28th July 2017 at 09:53 PM.

  15. #215
    gez
    gez is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    21
    Congratulation: great machine, you will be very pleased
    i am over the moon with mine☺️
    madaxle likes this.

  16. #216
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    26
    Hey guys!

    Alrighty.. the final purchase about to happen..

    thinking of getting VST baskets but not sure what grams I should be getting and ridgeless or ridgeless? Both beans I use require 18 grams only for a double shot in 25 seconds.. I want to be able to use it for the double spout and the Naked portafilter.

    At the same time I am considering for the sake of consistency to purchase a concept art dynamometric tamper "knock" type & flat.. any opinions on that ?

  17. #217
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by ikazooz View Post
    Hey guys!

    Alrighty.. the final purchase about to happen..

    thinking of getting VST baskets but not sure what grams I should be getting and ridgeless or ridgeless? Both beans I use require 18 grams only for a double shot in 25 seconds.. I want to be able to use it for the double spout and the Naked portafilter.

    At the same time I am considering for the sake of consistency to purchase a concept art dynamometric tamper "knock" type & flat.. any opinions on that ?
    Just my opinion... 18 grams sounds about right to me. Now, of all the variables that affect the extraction I feel that the tamping force is the most overrated. Important is that you tamp consistently and above all, level. Whether it is at 15 kg or 30 kg doesn't matter, because the extraction pressure x surface area translates to 200+ kg of force. You need a level surface and I find a rubber mat to support the PF spout works well. In the case of a bottomless, a tamping station might come in handy,but I will leave that to others to comment on.

  18. #218
    gez
    gez is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    21
    Using a VTS 7gm ridged in my naked pf: really good (pics on the way)
    Also the ECM tamping station is great holding the pf in place for tamping

  19. #219
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    24
    Another one here bit the bullet and ordered my ECM synchronika with ECM V Titan grinder... Hopefully delivery next week! Pictures to follow! Thank you to the few who helped out with selection. Cheers

  20. #220
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    22
    Nice greenfinger. I am thinking of going down this path too so looking forward to hearing about your experiences with it.
    greenfinger likes this.

  21. #221
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by greenfinger View Post
    Another one here bit the bullet and ordered my ECM synchronika with ECM V Titan grinder... Hopefully delivery next week! Pictures to follow! Thank you to the few who helped out with selection. Cheers
    Congrats, and welcome to the quickly-growing club!
    greenfinger likes this.

  22. #222
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by ikazooz View Post
    Hey guys!

    Alrighty.. the final purchase about to happen..

    thinking of getting VST baskets but not sure what grams I should be getting and ridgeless or ridgeless? Both beans I use require 18 grams only for a double shot in 25 seconds.. I want to be able to use it for the double spout and the Naked portafilter.

    At the same time I am considering for the sake of consistency to purchase a concept art dynamometric tamper "knock" type & flat.. any opinions on that ?
    Agree with @degaulle wrt tamp pressure vs other factors; there are plenty of fixed (and variable) -depth tamper designs now, I'd look into those. Before I had the OCD, I'd occasionally suffer a lapse in concentration and get a lairy-angled tamp with the Pullman Barista; the OCD gives a nice, level surface that makes an even tamp almost automatic.

    I use a Coffeeparts corner tamping mat which is perfect for the naked pf; the odd occasion I use the dual spout I just hold the pf with the spouts on the mat but I've also seen similar mat designs with a built-in mini station on the edge with cut-outs for a spouted pf. The mat is easy to clean and can be used to tap the pf if you do that as well as tapping the milk jug and even espresso to gently disperse any large air bubbles. That ECM tamping station is some very shiny bling, though!

    Re: baskets, I guess having done your research you just have to pull the trigger and experiment! I went for Pesado over VST mostly on the back of some comments here that VSTs can be more finicky.
    greenfinger likes this.

  23. #223
    gez
    gez is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    21
    Again, ECM tamping station: bling and functionality
    The VTS are not forgiving baskets, but great ones if handled correctly...

  24. #224
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    26
    Really struggling to get a good shot till today.. Im 2 of 40 maybe.
    3 or 4 different kind of beans (some new some old), crema is there, tamp is even, 18 grams gives 42-48 grams espresso.
    Taste is either too sour or bitter( cant make up the difference )
    I ran 3 kg of cheap beans I bought to season the burrs, move it to all levels from fine to coarse..
    Still the shots are not coming out tasting well..
    I can smell the choclate notes as it pours up to 12-14 seconds but after that I smell the odd bitterness
    I emptied the boilers twice, even did a backflush yesterday.. nothin

    oh and speakin of the backflush.. the lever to pull. Shots now feels like metal is pushin / squeaking against metal and I think something might need lubrication.. machine is dead on 9 bar always.. no steaming issues, nothing.

    god Im dissapointed.. is it me.. is it the beans..

  25. #225
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    26
    Forgot to mention also that in my attempt to make an Americano I use hot water from the spout on the machine.. it's set for 123 deg Celcius. Maybe that would burn the coffee ? But still the initial taste is awful
    I've used beans packed from May, June & July.. all almost the same taste.. some more crema than the others.. shots ended up as lungos, restrettos, espressos but generally fixed that part with the grinder..

    help ��

  26. #226
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by ikazooz View Post
    Forgot to mention also that in my attempt to make an Americano I use hot water from the spout on the machine.. it's set for 123 deg Celcius. Maybe that would burn the coffee ? But still the initial taste is awful
    I've used beans packed from May, June & July.. all almost the same taste.. some more crema than the others.. shots ended up as lungos, restrettos, espressos but generally fixed that part with the grinder..

    help **
    If you use old beans as well as new beans, you are adding a variable that complicates matters a bit more. That said, upto 2 months post-roast should be OK, but after opening the bag those older beans are likely to fade faster.

    Anyway, using the HW wand for an Americano is common practice, but I don't dispense it directly into the espresso. I usually put it into a pitcher of some sort to dissipate some of the heat and then pour into the cup. Alternatively draw the hot water first (some people actually prefer this).

    Espresso brewing has many variables and consistency in workflow is key. Use a scale to measure your dose each and every time, especially in the beginning until you are confident enough that you can dose consistently by eyeballing and grooming. The combination of consistent dosing, distributing and tamping level takes practice, but hang in there.
    Dimal likes this.

  27. #227
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    551
    "18 grams gives 42-48 grams espresso."
    This sounds way too much espresso. I presume the 42gms equate with 42mls. All the bad stuff is at the end of the extraction - as I learnt at barista school. Stop the extraction at around 20 or 25mls and taste the difference. Just my tuppence worth.
    Magic_Matt and level3ninja like this.

  28. #228
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by greenfinger View Post
    Another one here bit the bullet and ordered my ECM synchronika with ECM V Titan grinder... Hopefully delivery next week! Pictures to follow! Thank you to the few who helped out with selection. Cheers
    Awesome Greenfinger.....welcome to the club. Hope your looking forward to pulling some nice shots out of that beautiful pair
    greenfinger likes this.

  29. #229
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by ikazooz View Post
    Forgot to mention also that in my attempt to make an Americano I use hot water from the spout on the machine.. it's set for 123 deg Celcius. Maybe that would burn the coffee ? But still the initial taste is awful
    I've used beans packed from May, June & July.. all almost the same taste.. some more crema than the others.. shots ended up as lungos, restrettos, espressos but generally fixed that part with the grinder..

    help ��
    Hi Ikazooz,

    Do you have a different grinder to compare against or is this an entire new setup with your first E61/grinder combo? Be good if you had an old grinder to pull a similar weighted grind/shot and see if you get the same...or even if you try a shot from a different machine.

    I know that the titanium burrs will take a little bit to break in, but you have done 3kg so i would have expected this to settle down a little (from what i read).

    If your using the 2:1 ratio then 15g = 30ml of coffee. Unless your trying to pull a ristretto where 15g would be 15g coffee.

    Have you tried different coffee volumes...say 14g, 18g, 20g to see what sort of difference that makes.
    What about trying different grind sizes of the same again.
    Also make sure your not pulling too much into the shot blonding out...this is where the coffee could start going a little bitter.
    Also make sure you check your tamping. It should be nice an horizontal across the basket after the tamp. If its angled one way you could be just tamping badly and causing channelling.

    What is good troubleshooting to confirm tamping is a naked portafiller so you can see the coffee shot coming out of the grouphead.

    Suggest you write notes and details down on paper. Troubleshoot this with changing 1 variable at a time...lf you change too much in one go you will find it hard to determine what caused the issue.

    Also try and use the same coffee (fresher the better) when doing the testing.

    Good luck and let us know how you go.

    p.s. this is just my suggestions, so my advise may not be perfect and others here will have their own experiences and opinions on what to do. Suggest you just keep a track of the steps and notes to determine what works for you when extracting a nice shot.
    ikazooz likes this.

  30. #230
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by ikazooz View Post
    Really struggling to get a good shot till today.. Im 2 of 40 maybe.
    3 or 4 different kind of beans (some new some old), crema is there, tamp is even, 18 grams gives 42-48 grams espresso.
    Taste is either too sour or bitter( cant make up the difference )
    I can smell the choclate notes as it pours up to 12-14 seconds but after that I smell the odd bitterness
    I emptied the boilers twice, even did a backflush yesterday.. nothin
    This sounds a bit all over the place. Try this:

    Start with good fresh beans from a reputable supplier. Stick to the one bean for the time being.

    Stick to your dose of 18 grams of grounds, that's about right.

    Forget weighing your shot for the moment. Instead watch the stream, and learn to spot the blonding point. Cut the shot right there and taste.



    oh and speakin of the backflush.. the lever to pull. Shots now feels like metal is pushin / squeaking against metal and I think something might need lubrication.. machine is dead on 9 bar always.. no steaming issues, nothing.
    Was this a chemical backflush? The detergents dissolve the lubricants in the E61 mechanism, and this produces squeaking. Normally after you pull a few shots, the coffee oils re-lubricate things and the sound will go away.

    Definitely don't overdo it with the chemical backflush. Once a week tops, and use the cleaning powder sparingly.
    ikazooz likes this.

  31. #231
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by ikazooz View Post
    Forgot to mention also that in my attempt to make an Americano I use hot water from the spout on the machine.. it's set for 123 deg Celcius. Maybe that would burn the coffee ? But still the initial taste is awful
    The water from the wand will always come out at the same temp, just under 100C. The pressure in the boiler allows it to exceed the normal boiling point of water, and remain in liquid form when it's in the boiler.

    Once it's out in the normal atmosphere, water cannot exist at greater than 100C. Having said that, add a dash of cold to the cup before pulling your shot. This will get your water in the cup down to around 80C which is ideal for a long black.

    Second thing - while your trying to get the taste dialled in, its important to taste the shots straight, rather than as a long black.
    ikazooz likes this.

  32. #232
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    26
    Hey guys, So I just recieved a 2 kg shipment from a roastery out of the UK, very reputed and tried before, so the bean element is now gone.

    I've been mostly dialing in 18-21 grams of coffee.. Noted the blonding & noted the 30ml ratio (2:1)
    I only have this setup so no previous grinder to test with.. it's a compak E5 grinder and everyone raves about it. I ran about 4 kgs now of different beans..

    Someone advised me to try and lower the dose say to 17 grams..

    today I did the following as per your recommendations.

    1. 17 grams
    2. Even tamp but not very hard, just an average push down ( as opposed to my usual stabbing someone with a knice technique )
    3. Ran hot water in a cup, add a dash of frdige cold water to it
    4. Ran a shot until it started to be yellow or blonded ( altho There were bits of yellow at 15 seconds)
    5. Stopped my shot at 23 seconds after it started to look clear

    the result, wait for it, well no bitter or sour flavors, I can smell traces of the caramel notes in this blend, but when mixed with water for the long black, it feels a little bit diluted but still much more pleasurable taste that the crap I've been making! I did not measure the amount unfortunately as I was too focused on flushing the machine for 3 seconds, tamping, timer etc.. but Im sure I didnt cross the 40 ml / gram mark.

    perhaps will try to add 1 more gram to see where this takes it and maintain that easy tamp method I attempted..

    thank you guys for your help..some improvements afer your recommendations.. Its been a struggle I tell ya..
    level3ninja, madaxle and degaulle like this.

  33. #233
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by ikazooz View Post
    Hey guys, So I just recieved a 2 kg shipment from a roastery out of the UK, very reputed and tried before, so the bean element is now gone.

    I've been mostly dialing in 18-21 grams of coffee.. Noted the blonding & noted the 30ml ratio (2:1)
    I only have this setup so no previous grinder to test with.. it's a compak E5 grinder and everyone raves about it. I ran about 4 kgs now of different beans..

    Someone advised me to try and lower the dose say to 17 grams..

    today I did the following as per your recommendations.

    1. 17 grams
    2. Even tamp but not very hard, just an average push down ( as opposed to my usual stabbing someone with a knice technique )
    3. Ran hot water in a cup, add a dash of frdige cold water to it
    4. Ran a shot until it started to be yellow or blonded ( altho There were bits of yellow at 15 seconds)
    5. Stopped my shot at 23 seconds after it started to look clear

    the result, wait for it, well no bitter or sour flavors, I can smell traces of the caramel notes in this blend, but when mixed with water for the long black, it feels a little bit diluted but still much more pleasurable taste that the crap I've been making! I did not measure the amount unfortunately as I was too focused on flushing the machine for 3 seconds, tamping, timer etc.. but Im sure I didnt cross the 40 ml / gram mark.

    perhaps will try to add 1 more gram to see where this takes it and maintain that easy tamp method I attempted..

    thank you guys for your help..some improvements afer your recommendations.. Its been a struggle I tell ya..
    also do a test with the same 17g or 18g but make the grind a little finer (just by the smallest amount) and see if that extends the extraction shot before it starts to blonde.

  34. #234
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    24
    IMG_1508.jpg

    All setup!! Will play with the grinder tomorrow.... Ive got 2kg of beans too get my grinds right! Thanks everyone for helping out with this machine
    Magic_Matt, madaxle and ikazooz like this.

  35. #235
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    22
    Looks good. I would be interested on yours or others experience with using a lever for the steamer rather than a knob. I guess it is easier to use but have only ever turned a knob for steam.

    Cheers,
    Shewey

  36. #236
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    26
    The lever is amazing! Less work basically and more focus on stopping the steamer / spout faster than turning a knob.
    the mechanism is genious in my opinion

    Quote Originally Posted by shewey View Post
    Looks good. I would be interested on yours or others experience with using a lever for the steamer rather than a knob. I guess it is easier to use but have only ever turned a knob for steam.

    Cheers,
    Shewey

  37. #237
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    26
    Ayi Ayi Sir ☺️
    Will get on it for the evening coffees.. ☺️

    Quote Originally Posted by madaxle View Post
    also do a test with the same 17g or 18g but make the grind a little finer (just by the smallest amount) and see if that extends the extraction shot before it starts to blonde.
    madaxle likes this.

  38. #238
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by madaxle View Post
    also do a test with the same 17g or 18g but make the grind a little finer (just by the smallest amount) and see if that extends the extraction shot before it starts to blonde.
    Not sure If this has already been mentioned, but when you change grind setting, now matter how small the change is, make sure to discard the first couple of grams of ground coffee before you actually brew your next shot. Every grinder retains grinds to an extent. If these old grinds end up in your PF right after you have changed the grind setting, the water gets muddied while you are looking for the right grind setting and you will be chasing your tail.
    madaxle and ikazooz like this.

  39. #239
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Frenchs Forest NSW
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by shewey View Post
    Looks good. I would be interested on yours or others experience with using a lever for the steamer rather than a knob. I guess it is easier to use but have only ever turned a knob for steam.

    Cheers,
    Shewey
    Spring loaded rotary valves (on the Profitecs) have less wear than levers (on the ECMs) so will cost less to maintain. Levers are faster to open/close, but there is a trick with spring loaded valves that make them almost as fast. If the knob is left just short of the where the mechanism starts to open the valve (you can feel this point - it's where the knob goes from being slack to having some resistance on it) then you can fully open the valve with a half turn of the knob. Similarly to close it - just a half turn. Which isn't that much slower than flicking a lever. The rotary valves also give you the ability to partially open the valve whereas the levers don't.

    charlie
    shewey likes this.

  40. #240
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,279
    It's just personal preference really - I've used various rotary tap machines and on balance the levers come out on top for me. Ideally I'd prefer the "commercial style" side levers, but there's a price premium for those on domestic machines
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
    Spring loaded rotary valves (on the Profitecs) have less wear than levers (on the ECMs) so will cost less to maintain. Levers are faster to open/close, but there is a trick with spring loaded valves that make them almost as fast. If the knob is left just short of the where the mechanism starts to open the valve (you can feel this point - it's where the knob goes from being slack to having some resistance on it) then you can fully open the valve with a half turn of the knob. Similarly to close it - just a half turn. Which isn't that much slower than flicking a lever. The rotary valves also give you the ability to partially open the valve whereas the levers don't.

    charlie
    Hey Charlie, on that last point - it's not quite accurate to say levers don't allow you to partly open the valve, it just takes a bit of finesse as you can't set the valve to any position other than fully open 'hands free'. But there's actually full modulation between open and closed, albeit over quite a small range of movement.

    Because I normally only steam a small quantity of milk I almost never set the lever to the point it 'clicks' open; the other advantage of doing this is you just release to instantly close the valve without so much as a flick

    I did find the levers a little 'scrubby' initially, this got better with time and when I serviced the group and ball joints I also added some grease to the valves - they're silky smooth now. I suspect this will also improve their life and reduce more serious maintenance, but time will tell.

    Cheers
    Matt
    shewey likes this.

  41. #241
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Frenchs Forest NSW
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    It's just personal preference really - I've used various rotary tap machines and on balance the levers come out on top for me. Ideally I'd prefer the "commercial style" side levers, but there's a price premium for those on domestic machines Hey Charlie, on that last point - it's not quite accurate to say levers don't allow you to partly open the valve, it just takes a bit of finesse as you can't set the valve to any position other than fully open 'hands free'. But there's actually full modulation between open and closed, albeit over quite a small range of movement.

    Because I normally only steam a small quantity of milk I almost never set the lever to the point it 'clicks' open; the other advantage of doing this is you just release to instantly close the valve without so much as a flick

    I did find the levers a little 'scrubby' initially, this got better with time and when I serviced the group and ball joints I also added some grease to the valves - they're silky smooth now. I suspect this will also improve their life and reduce more serious maintenance, but time will tell.

    Cheers
    Matt
    Yes most of our customers would be in the same boat re only steaming a small amount of milk. In this scenario we've found it's easier for most people to partially open their rotary valve than hold their lever partially open (I count myself in this group!!). But if you've found a way to do it then kudos to you!

    charlie

  42. #242
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,279
    It's kinda academic really tbh - I just tweaked the steam boiler temp to get perfect textured milk with the valve fully open, so tend to only hold it open without 'clicking' on so that it's faster to turn off - which is easy with either valve ☺

    Cheers,
    Matt
    Casa Espresso and shewey like this.

  43. #243
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    76
    I had the hard decision choosing between these two awesome machines....it comes down to aesthetics to the individual preference. Both are fantastic machines and you cant go wrong with either.
    Casa Espresso and Magic_Matt like this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •