Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Faema Due - $100

Remove pump. Soak entire pump in a container of de scale solution letting the solution flow through the pump. Let it sit for a few hours. Turn flat drive blade to circulate solution through vanes. Use gloves. I do a 50/50 water/descale ratio. Use liquid de scaler. Try to remove bypass internals after a few hours.

greencardigan,
    Your red fiber washer looks like it may be off the mushroom cap,off one of your group head's,usually fitted to these cap/mushroom bolt thingy!!
    Cheer's
    Mick.

I've pulled the pump apart and have done a descale. The bypass internals have come out ok but the stainless shaft part with the small o-ring is still quite tight in the nut piece. I can only just move it in and out with my fingers. Should it move freer than that? I'll give a bit more descale and clean. Maybe it just needs a new o-ring.
    DSC_1050.jpg

There is a spring inside the pump outlet side. Any idea what that is there for?
    DSC_1033.jpg DSC_1057.jpg

The big nut adapter thing on the pump inlet has metal wool or something in it?! Normal? I guess it could just be a filter of sorts?
    DSC_1026.jpg

Mick, the red washer isn't from the mushrooms. They both have white teflon washers already. I am now thinking it was on the hot water downpipe.
    mulquemi likes this.

Don't worry about the spring in the outlet. Ensure the steel wool water filter passes water (you can descale it). Don't worry about the ss shaft w/ o ring not moving easily - it isn't supposed to. Put a little food grade silicone on the o ring and ensure it moves up and down slightly under tension and can spin 360 in the brass shaft.

One more thing...

My OPV seems to be stuck. I can't adjust the spring tension using the adjustment slot on the front. I've taken it apart and the threaded piece is locked into the housing. No amount of penetrating oil, heat or sweat has got it to budge. Any ideas?

Spin the flat blade and listen for gentle suction sounds that the PTFE vanes make. The shaft should spin pretty easily with two fingers with a little friction (vanes are working).

Hmmm ... might be seriously scaled up. Can you post an image?

Photos of stuck OPV (expansion valve). It's a bit dinged up after my attempts to unscrew it.

DSC_1061.jpg DSC_1060.jpg DSC_1058.jpg

Nice! So ... no joy screwing in the adjustment slot screw inside, hey?

No movement of the slotted part at all.

How are the internals? Spring and seal mechanism? Is the seal ringed-out and hard? Can we see an image of the seal face and the spring connected to it?

The adjustment end: put it in a small plastic container covered with water. Freeze it. Then, after frozen, pour water just off the boil on it in the sink. Run cool water on it until you can pick it up and clamp it in a vise; Vice Grips or a shifter. Try unscrewing it with the biggest slot screwdriver that'll fit. Apply constant and increasing pressure.

Contraction and expansion may free it up.

Another idea that works is stacking flat washers inside to provide more spring tension.

Water can still exit the OPV

Or, you buy a new OPV from Pedro @ Coffee Parts. It's 3/8" or 1/4" BSB and discharges into the drain cup or tray.

Quote Originally Posted by sprezzatura View Post
    How are the internals? Spring and seal mechanism? Is the seal ringed-out and hard? Can we see an image of the seal face and the spring connected to it?
    Internals of the OPV look ok. The seal was a bit gunky but is still soft and flexible.

DSC_1066.jpg DSC_1070.jpg

I have the housing in the freezer and will try again to release.

Freezing then heating the OPV helped and I was able to release the thread. The thread was scaled up plus I think it had been over tightened.

Time to get it connected back up and see if the descaled pump can produce more than 3 bar pressure.
    Dimal and sprezzatura like this.

Fine work, Mr. Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by greencardigan View Post
    Coffee Parts doesn't seem to list the old version of the steam valves that my machine has. Will I be able to find parts for the old valve locally? Or will I need to get the new valve unit as a complete unit?

Coffee Parts - Newer version
    Attachment 11856

My machine seems to have this older version as shown on Espressoparts
    Attachment 11854
    I received some replacement parts from Coffee Parts. I ordered the replacement seals/gasket/spring parts used in the water inlet valves with the hope that they fitted my old steam valve. The seals and gaskets were fine, but the spring is quite different. My old spring is much shorter and stiffer. The water inlet valve spring wasn't closing the steam valve properly. The old spring is still fine so no problems there.

Old steam valve spring on top
    New water inlet valve spring below
    DSC_1076.jpg

I've replaced the 3-way valve seals, and group head jet seals and have connected everything back up to test.

No leaks, and more importantly, 9 bar pump pressure! Although I'm getting 9 bar with and without the blind filter. Is that normal?

Pump pressure with and without blind filter

Also when the boiler auto fill is running it's showing 8 bar. Seems a bit high?

Next step is to get the boiler up to temp again to check the repaired leaky steam valve. Getting close to a fully functioning machine.
    260zman likes this.

She's alive! I managed to make a coffee on the machine this morning! The extraction wasn't the best but was drinkable. My quick temperature check showed water from the group was around 92-93 degrees.

Still a few minor issues. The repaired steam valve no longer leaks out the back through the main seal but slowly leaks steam through the wand. Would this settle down in time after the new seal settles in? Or possibly I need to put a spacer behind the spring to increase the sealing force.

Also the OPV is slowly dripping regardless of the setting. Again, this may be just the seal re-settling?
    260zman likes this.

OPV may drip anyway. Thermal expansion of water in circuit. Don't worry about it if you're getting your 9 bar at group. Steam. Always a hassle with this style valve. Occasionally reseating the brass part of the seal area allows the gasket to seat completely. It's annoying but can be lived with.

Try your spacer; it may work.

I've been getting some really excellent extractions from this machine! I'm using the single basket from my Breville BES920 with my usual grind and dosage but the Faema extraction seems a step up from the BES920.

I'm still mesmerised by the steam volume! Anything I can do to make it more manageable?

Raise water level probe. Less steam volume.
    260zman likes this.

Plug some of the nib holes. Or, enjoy the steam power of a commercial machine, hey?

Does anyone know where I can source these spring clip things? They clip around the plastic standoffs on the front button panels to hold it on. I'm missing three.

DSC_1098.jpg

Perhaps a Circlip of the right size might do the job...
    11006.jpg

Mal.
    sprezzatura likes this.

Maybe a press-on "starlock" washer, designed to retain a part on a metal shaft, very hard to remove though.

Ron

Actual purpose not clear. I am thinking you could make one considering the patience and skills you have demonstrated. Is it just a flat disk or does part of it go through the panel. Is there one or are there a lot of then required. It's design is quite clever but I have not seen one before.
    sprezzatura likes this.

A few 15mm binder clips borrowed from work has done the trick.

DSC_1099.jpg
    Dimal, sprezzatura and 260zman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Perhaps a Circlip of the right size might do the job...
    11006.jpg

Mal.
    Hey! My La Marzocco steam wand circlip! Been looking for that everywhere since launching it during a overhaul.
    Dimal and 260zman like this.

I've been getting some really excellent extractions from this machine! I'm using the single basket from my Breville BES920 with my usual grind and dosage but the Faema extraction seems a step up from the BES920.

I'm still mesmerised by the steam volume! Anything I can do to make it more manageable?
    yep, heaps of steam!! its great.

there are a few different option steam nozzles available. on my daily machine I have one steam wand with 4 holes, which I use for larger quantities of milk, and the other wand has 2 holes, which seems to have a lot less grunt (makes it easier to do small amounts).

Also what is your boiler pressure at? if pressure stat is set too high, my understanding is you will have more steam pressure. This really needs to be set by measuring the water temp coming thru the group though, as you don't want to reduce the temp/pressure to the point that it compromises on extraction quality.

Does anyone know where I can source these spring clip things? They clip around the plastic standoffs on the front button panels to hold it on. I'm missing three.

DSC_1098.jpg
    Try these,
    I need some too and we've got an account with them Comac
    Sorry mods, I hope this wont breach website rules?

These look like a good alternative too. Metric Grip Rings For Shafts Without Grooves

I added a small spacer (maybe 3mm) in front of the steam valve spring and it no longer leaks. I think it probably needs reseating ideally but the spacer is working so I'll leave it be for the moment.

Justin, any progress on replacement side panels? I have been investigating making some carbon fibre panels or possibly just carbon fibre skinning the broken panels.

With the steam, it's not just the number of holes but also their size (total area).

I have used a 4 hole tip with 1mm holes and it worked great for microfoam.

Cheers

Hey brad,

Well done, you've been ticking the issues off one by one. Great diagnosing too.

No luck with panels yet, although I've just used some jb weld kind of stuff to fix up the cracks. I've also toyed with the carbon fibre idea, but I haven't got past the watching YouTube vids on how to make the molds etc! I figured that gluing up at least one good set of originals would be a start towards making a mold.

I got a few new steam tips from CoffeeParts. A three hole and a two hole both with the same hole diameter as my existing 4 hole tips (1.5mm?). I'm finding the 2 hole tip very manageable and have some latte art happening again. Haven't tried the 3 hole tip yet. The threads on my steam wands don't quite match the new steam tips so they've been a bit troublesome to get on. I suspect my steam wands are not original.

DSC_0002.jpg
    Dimal and 260zman like this.

Nice work. And nice rosetta!!! It's starting to all come together.

Just wrapping up this thread...

I sold this machine a few months ago for $300. All up I spent around $50 in parts on top of the $100 purchase price. I believe it was heading to a fast food shop in Nowra for temporary use.

Was sad to see it go, but I've just picked up an almost identical machine in a similar condition. New thread starting soon.
    Dimal and LeroyC like this.

Link to my photo gallery for this machine.

https://goo.gl/photos/ynMQk4c2ZRHj6yhJ7
    Dimal likes this.

Great idea for future reference 'gc'...

Mal.

Help with replacing heating element in my Faema

Hi all, Ive got a fame machine and need to replace the heating element ....... is there anyone out there that would be interested in showing how to replace an heating element. I'm an electronic engineer and would love to learn how to repair/rebuild my own machine. Can anyone help. I'm based in Doncaster in Victoria. Happy to use Skype if you can help but are interstate. Many thanks, Kind regards, Steve

There might be some useful information (generally) here

FAEMA 2 GROUP - value at about $350

Cheers
    ps. They are an awesome machine
    Dimal likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2