Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Modded Linea Mini just arrived

Haha no. Mine was just a general comment about the chemistry lab path that some folks are heading down.
    Vinitasse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kwantfm View Post
    Thanks Vinitasse... I really enjoyed your post and I've been thinking about it for the past few hours.

By way of background my undergraduate degree (decades ago) was medicine, I ended up transitioning to the finance industry. My training points to hard, quantitative control methodologies. Laboratories, spreadsheets, Monte Carlo simulations... they are, or have been, my stock tools for dealing with the world. I'm also married to an artist. Your post jogged some shallow grave thoughts about philosophically how each of us goes about making decisions, enough to trigger a fun Sunday morning chat with the better half.

So in our chat this morning, we considered what the actual objective and the processes involved in getting to that objective are. I think in a previous post of mine (clouded by too much pinot noir and rum) I suggested that measurement allowed me to be more "consistent". I now think that that is not quite right, I'd suggest that measurement allows me (perhaps) to obtain more reproducible results. It struck me that "reproducible" is an interesting objective... perhaps not a great objective from some perspectives.

When I roast coffee, I tend to change up a single variable each time. Charge temperature, time to different points (either measured by bean temp or sensory triggers), amount of airflow at different times, drop temp. But then my wife asked me whether I knew the full set of control variables. I don't know much about winemaking (as will be obvious) but I imagine that there are a set of control points that are well understood (e.g. picking grapes at certain Brix levels, the effect of cultured yeasts, length and temperature of fermentation, percentage of stalks incorporated) but that there will be some things that are inherently unknowable (unknown unknowns or known unknowns such as the effect of wild yeasts).

Apologies for the random scatter plot of thoughts... and I think that in the spirit of your no hate post "given the battle between art and science" I'll take a bit of both "each and every time".

P.S. Does the wine maker at Paringa feel frustrated at the "I don't know... it just happened" phenomenon???
    First up let me compliment you on your Linea Mini, looks to be a very nice machine and certainly seems to be performing the way you expected it to.

Doubt anyone would argue that consistency is the cornerstone of being able to repeatedly produce our chosen brew of choice in a manner that satisfies our personal quality criteria.

I imagine many of us get a lot of enjoyment out of tinkering with the variables involved, be they dose, grind, temp, pressure, water volume or whatever, the list is endless, I certainly have no problem with experimentation.

What I do find annoying are the pedantic types who insist that it's not possible to produce a quality brew unless you have your coffee shrine set up like a scientific laboratory with the ability to measure TDS, monitor and vary every parameter in the brew chain, be it temp, time, boiler, extraction and tamp pressure, then insist that we should be able to detect differences in the coffee when we change the water temp by 1C or the brew pressure by 10 millibars.

What I'm saying is if this approach turns you on, great, go for it, however don't expect or insist that we will all embrace this obsessive approach with the same degree of enthusiasm that you feel.

Having said all that, I should mention I'm not a complete Luddite, I do weigh my beans, each of my coffees will contain <> 18 grams, I roast 725 grams of green beans and use a DMM and timer to monitor my roasts, and for the sake of repeatability I also weigh and measure some ingredients when I cook.

So there ya go, that's my Sunday rant, I think I feel better now.
    Last edited by Yelta; 17th July 2016 at 06:33 PM.
    Dimal, kwantfm and Vinitasse like this.

Ha, finished typing my previous post checked the news and found this.

Why does the cynic in me feel it's an advertorial for Five Senses.?

Chief coffee scientist Monika Fekete: helping create the other perfect fuel cell

Love this "We're not scientists, it's more craft," Mr Steponavicius says. "Monika is providing us with scientific tools to better understand the relationship between roast profiles and results in the cup. It's almost unheard of in Australia, a scientist coming in to analyse our data."
    Vinitasse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post

Chief coffee scientist Monika Fekete: helping create the other perfect fuel cell

Love this "We're not scientists, it's more craft," Mr Steponavicius says. "Monika is providing us with scientific tools to better understand the relationship between roast profiles and results in the cup. It's almost unheard of in Australia, a scientist coming in to analyse our data."
    It's an interesting idea, to me there has to be a reason that a coffee tastes so good and this is just demystifying those reasons a little. There will always be great artists that defy logic or reason, but if in the whole it improves the quality of what's in the cup, then I don't see it as a bad thing.

I admire and look up to the artists, but I need a little direction most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post

A separate thread was started for this article near the same time you made your post: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-co...tml#post584801

Java "♫She blinded me with Science!♪" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Thanks Vinitasse... I really enjoyed your post and I've been thinking about it for the past few hours.

By way of background my undergraduate degree (decades ago) was medicine, I ended up transitioning to the finance industry. My training points to hard, quantitative control methodologies. Laboratories, spreadsheets, Monte Carlo simulations... they are, or have been, my stock tools for dealing with the world. I'm also married to an artist. Your post jogged some shallow grave thoughts about philosophically how each of us goes about making decisions, enough to trigger a fun Sunday morning chat with the better half.

So in our chat this morning, we considered what the actual objective and the processes involved in getting to that objective are. I think in a previous post of mine (clouded by too much pinot noir and rum) I suggested that measurement allowed me to be more "consistent". I now think that that is not quite right, I'd suggest that measurement allows me (perhaps) to obtain more reproducible results. It struck me that "reproducible" is an interesting objective... perhaps not a great objective from some perspectives.

When I roast coffee, I tend to change up a single variable each time. Charge temperature, time to different points (either measured by bean temp or sensory triggers), amount of airflow at different times, drop temp. But then my wife asked me whether I knew the full set of control variables. I don't know much about winemaking (as will be obvious) but I imagine that there are a set of control points that are well understood (e.g. picking grapes at certain Brix levels, the effect of cultured yeasts, length and temperature of fermentation, percentage of stalks incorporated) but that there will be some things that are inherently unknowable (unknown unknowns or known unknowns such as the effect of wild yeasts).

Apologies for the random scatter plot of thoughts... and I think that in the spirit of your no hate post "given the battle between art and science" I'll take a bit of both "each and every time".

P.S. Does the wine maker at Paringa feel frustrated at the "I don't know... it just happened" phenomenon???

Sorry for the slow reply but between working at Paringa and also running my own boutique coffee roastery there simply aren't too many free hours in a week.

As far as an appreciation for numbers and measurement goes, I do get where you're coming from. I once worked as an MBA qualified Economic Analyst in Seoul in the aftermath of the Asian Financial Crisis... helping them put their banking sector back together again. I'm also a trained winemaker and have studied micro-biology and biochemistry in addition to the usual gamut of courses in oenology and viticulture. More recently... for the past 6 years now... I have been running a commercial coffee roasting biz and get the value of paying attention to the technical side of roasting. So... numbers... yup... totally get it.

Now... having said that... I am at the stage of professional development (both in regard to wine and coffee) where I now trust my instincts and am happy to allow my inherent feel for the artistry of each craft to guide my hand. Sure... I will refer to the numbers once in a while to reaffirm that I am truly on track but both my coffees and my wines are at their best when I allow art to lead the way.

It may surprise you to know this but at Paringa we do not run around our vineyards at harvest time testing Brix levels with a refractometer. What we do is go from vine to vine, vineyard to vineyard actually tasting the fruit and then pick when our senses tell us things are good to go. Only then do we check sugar levels to help guide the next phase of the wine making process.

Your last question was asking if Lindsay ever felt frustrated by the whole "I don't know... it just happened" phenomenon".

The answer is... not in the slightest!

If he wanted to know everything that could possibly be known, i.e. pH levels, free acids, bound sulfur etc... the lab is just a few steps away. He simply does not need to know. After 32 years he knows his vineyards and vines, he knows his fruit and he inherently knows which batches can handle 100% wild yeasts and which need to be inoculated and, if so, by which cultures. He knows in his heart and soul how long he should leave the skins on the juice and which oak to use and for how long, when or even if to filter and then by which method. It really all comes down to just knowing and being confident and brave enough to follow through on those hard earned instincts.

And... as said before... at the end of the day, the artisan products ALWAYS kick the technically made products in the teeth and walk away with the biggest gongs and accolades.

Some can... some can't (or are too afraid to try)
    Dimal, kwantfm, TC and 2 others like this.

I should add that I feel the same when it comes to brewing coffee. Sure... I may weigh a dose once in a while to see if my eye-balling and feel for the process are where they should be.. but 99% of the time I just allow my instincts to get the job done and am only ever very rarely disappointed. No TDS readings, no scales, no shot clock... just me, fresh well roasted coffee, a good grinder and a good machine.
    Dimal, TC, Yelta and 1 others like this.

Two excellent posts Vinitasse, very much reflects my feelings on the subject.

The desire and ability to learn combined with a little reasoning power serves us well where science and art merge.

Dimal, Vinitasse and KopiV like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post
    Some can... some can't
    This line was the one I found most interesting. With much greater context after Vinitasse's fantastic posts I now think I understand what is meant here. I think (please correct me if I am wrong) that one can insert a number of the following after "can't":
    - "... yet"
    - "... or are afraid to"
    - "... and won't ever"
    - "... because they're entirely happy with how things are at the moment!"
    Vinitasse likes this.

Agreed, excellent posts Vinitasse.

The creation and consumption of Coffee (and wine) are very much sensory activities. That means see, touch, feel, taste.

From my point of view it's far more important to observe the stream of coffee as it pours. You get a lot more from doing this than watching a number on a scale!
    Vinitasse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    The creation and consumption of Coffee (and wine) are very much sensory activities. That means see, touch, feel, taste.
    Don't forget the sense of smell. Most important...

Mal.
    Paolo and Vinitasse like this.

This thread feels, sounds and smells like it has been hijacked...

TC
    We're about to embark on a super pimping of our display machine to turn it into the ultimate linea mini demo..
    • Preinfusion mod- sorted
    • onboard Shot/temp- coming
    • plumb mod- coming
    • what else? Stay tuned....
    Dimal, matth3wh, Pretzal and 4 others like this.

Be the first to comment on a five-month-old thread? Hell yes I will!

People have been making coffee and cooking for centuries without the aid of science, suddenly a few gadgets become available and the processes cant be carried out without using em.
    Hahaha that one got me chuckling. As a newbie who's been compulsively confusing himself with all these threads for the last month, it would certainly appear that way. I'm intrigued by all the technical stuff, and would love to understand it - but I don't, and I'll probably always be wondering whether I'm utilising my future coffee machine to its full potential.

In fact, I'm almost convinced there's Buckley's chance of enjoying a superbly lazy espresso with breakfast unless I come tearing into the kitchen with a Scace, a refractometer, a thermocouple thermometer, a written thesis on bar-pressure, the Home Barista guide to managing brew temp, and tertiary entrance-grade study notes on Scott Rao's Espresso Extraction: Measurement and Mastery and The Professional Barista's Handbook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-JHfXVlkik
    Casa Espresso likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BalthazarG View Post
    Be the first to comment on a five-month-old thread? Hell yes I will!

Hahaha that one got me chuckling. As a newbie who's been compulsively confusing himself with all these threads for the last month, it would certainly appear that way. I'm intrigued by all the technical stuff, and would love to understand it - but I don't, and I'll probably always be wondering whether I'm utilising it to its full potential.

In fact, I'm almost convinced there's Buckley's chance of enjoying a superbly lazy espresso with breakfast unless I come tearing into the kitchen with a Scace, a refractometer, a thermocouple thermometer, a written thesis on bar-pressure, the Home Barista guide to managing brew temp (which is already giving me nightmares), and study notes on Scott Rao's Espresso Extraction: Measurement and Mastery and The Professional Barista's Handbook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-JHfXVlkik
    Know exactly what you mean, in the beginning it certainly can be a little confronting.

Keep in mind the KISS principle, it's not a complex process.
    Dimal and Vinitasse like this.

Keep in mind the KISS principle, it's not a complex process.
    Sage advice. Seems like ignorance would have been bliss too - but too late now! I'm in the deep end!

I've gotta say, there was one clarifying moment where I realised just how screamingly out of depth I was. It came about one morning when reading through a thread on the Home Barista forum. Some mad boffin genius had posted a diagram he'd drawn:

http://www.home-barista.com/forums/u...2spring_1.jpeg

Pretty scary, right? Anyway, the wires in my brain crossed, and I wondered whether I'd stumbled into the wrong place. I asked around, poked about, and eventually some soapbox orator replied to my thread.....

you also have to understand that when you step into Home Barista Land you have entered a highly skewed domain of engineers and scientists who have trouble fully enjoying anything that can't be measured, digitized, recorded, graphed and compared.
    Couldn't get out of there fast enough!

I've gotta say, there was one clarifying moment where I realised just how screamingly out of depth I was. It came about one morning when reading through a thread on the Home Barista forum. Some mad boffin genius had posted a diagram he'd drawn:

http://www.home-barista.com/forums/u...2spring_1.jpeg

Pretty scary, right? Anyway, the wires in my brain crossed, and I wondered whether I'd stumbled into the wrong place. I asked around, poked about, and eventually some soapbox orator replied to my thread.....

you also have to understand that when you step into Home Barista Land you have entered a highly skewed domain of engineers and scientists who have trouble fully enjoying anything that can't be measured, digitized, recorded, graphed and compared.

Couldn't get out of there fast enough!

Yep! can get like that around here at times, most people seem to be able to maintain perspective, we get the odd one who is pedantic, and, unfortunately, quite verbose.
    Vinitasse likes this.

I've gotta say, there was one clarifying moment where I realised just how screamingly out of depth I was. It came about one morning when reading through a thread on the Home Barista forum.
    I think I suggested you go to HB.
    There's lots of great information there.
    I agree there is a lot of science on that forum.
    Ultimately, they are all about great results in the cup. If you make your way through all the testing and science there's plenty of diamonds of practical wisdom.
    Dimal and BalthazarG like this.

Ultimately, they are all about great results in the cup. If you make your way through all the testing and science there's plenty of diamonds of practical wisdom.
    Must explain why I'm still reading Home Barista threads.
    Last edited by BalthazarG; 26th December 2016 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlMac View Post
    I agree there is a lot of science on that forum.
    It must be said though, that there's also a lot of pseudo science on HB, and also a lot of guys that have no idea how to spot a blonding point, or actually taste and smell coffee with their senses.

Some of them are too busy sticking all manner of probes in it, to actually taste it...
    trentski and Yelta like this.

Some of them are too busy sticking all manner of probes in it, to actually taste it...
    Hahaha you're not wrong. You should hop on HB and tell em' that! Then grab the popcorn, sit back, and watch the ensuing 50-page riot.

I think that, for some people, having a contraption (whatever it is) to constantly twiddle and tweak is more important than the end results (ie. a mechanic who'd prefer to stick his grubby mits under the bonnet of a car than actually drive it, or a hacker who'd rather write source code for a computer rather than use it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5QbrRRMg20
    Yelta likes this.

Hahaha you're not wrong. You should hop on HB and tell em' that! Then grab the popcorn, sit back, and watch the ensuing 50-page riot.

I think that, for some people, having a contraption (whatever it is) to constantly twiddle and tweak is more important than the end results (ie. a mechanic who'd prefer to stick his grubby mits under the bonnet of a car than actually drive it, or a hacker who'd rather write source code for a computer rather than use it).
    I kid you not, now they are talking about Third Wave Water.

http://www.home-barista.com/knockbox...er-t44736.html

I thought it was a parody at first, but no... It's Home Barista business as usual.
    Dimal, Vinitasse and BalthazarG like this.

Wonderful, more Third Wave Wank; more gimmicks; more variables to think about.

Since you need "a gallon of RO or distilled water" to effectively make use of each capsule in the first place, I don't see how this crap offers "the ideal solution for the serious home barista who doesn't want to turn into an amateur chemist or spend a ton of money on a complicated water setup."

Even more laughable is the implied assumption that being an "amateur chemist" is a non-negotiable prerequisite to enjoying coffee at home.
    Last edited by BalthazarG; 1st January 2017 at 09:45 PM.

Wondering if a mod could move this all off in to a separate thread (?)
    Melbroaster and LFM60 like this.

TC
    Back on topic, I've had the pleasure of using a stock LM owned by a buddy of mine over the last few days whilst on a break.

It's been a long time since I have used an unmodified Linea mini and can only say that I have an even greater appreciation for Rick's preinfusion mod. It totally transforms the machine and CS'ers who go down this pathway would be crazy not to plan for the upgrade.
    matth3wh and dlight like this.

Has anyone had the preinfusion chamber fitted without the needle valve mod? Interested in how much difference that makes by itself.

Argh...I've been trying to not think about this mod. I have an opportunity of a family member driving to Melbourne in a few days and it's the only way I'd consider getting my machine there for the mod. Now the only thing to over come is the warranty issue. I haven't contacted my vendor, but I'd assume this will unfortunately void the warranty, which I'm a little loathe to do considering how new it is. Decisions, decisions...

Most likely, I'll wait until the warranty wears off in Aug 2017, then contact Rick to see if he'll still be doing them...
    matth3wh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Back on topic, I've had the pleasure of using a stock LM owned by a buddy of mine over the last few days whilst on a break.

It's been a long time since I have used an unmodified Linea mini and can only say that I have an even greater appreciation for Rick's preinfusion mod. It totally transforms the machine and CS'ers who go down this pathway would be crazy not to plan for the upgrade.
    Yes Chris, I've heard many wonderful things about Rick's LM mod. We're all very lucky to have him as our resident genius/boffin/engineer.

Putting aside the high price for the moment, would you say the Linea Mini would be wasted on a home barista who doesn't drink/hardly ever drinks milk coffee?

Obviously the LM can make top espresso regardless, however the reason I ask is because one of its biggest drawcards appears to be its industrial-grade steaming power.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    Has anyone had the preinfusion chamber fitted without the needle valve mod? Interested in how much difference that makes by itself.
    I have , to be honest i didn't pull alot of shots with it as stock, but had some bad previous experiences with rotary pumps being unforgiving without an E61 grouphead to soften the initial pre-infusion . I love it with the pre-infusion chamber - it softens the initial pressure ramp up and delays the start of the pour by approx 4-5 sec's . The way i see it is - the pre-infusion chamber makes it a more forgiving machine , but go for the needle valve mod also if you want to play around with super long pre-infusions or pressure profiles . I also installed the .6mm restrictor
    matth3wh, TC and BalthazarG like this.

TC
    Putting aside the high price for the moment, would you say the Linea Mini would be wasted on a home barista who doesn't drink/hardly ever drinks milk coffee?
    Nope- one of the biggies is that the stock version positively lives to channel unless dose and distribution are bang on. The mod makes for a far more forgiving machine before even considering cup quality- so a case of what he (kofekitt) said! ^^
    Last edited by TC; 3rd January 2017 at 04:07 PM.
    matth3wh and BalthazarG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Nope- one of the biggies is that the stock version positively lives to channel unless dose and distribution are bang on. The mod makes for a far more forgiving machine before even considering cup quality.
    That's very reassuring, because I heard the non-modded Mini is extremely unforgiving of barista clumsiness. I think I'd prefer a Rickrolled Mini to a Linea Mini.

What we seem to have here is the Australian coffee world's best kept secret. I wonder what La Marzocco would make of the fact that Mr Bond is single-handedly revolutionising their models?

Probably best they stay clueless.
    TC likes this.

Chris, while we're on the subject, I'm very keen to ask how you personally feel the new Izzo 'Valexia' measures up in performance to the modded Linea Mini?

I'm not normally one to invite fruitless comparisons between machines, especially as it potentially leads to cock strutting from members who have only ever operated/owned one or the other.

However, the fact remains you've had hands-on experience with each model. Also, it seems there's no local sponsors in Perth who stock either machine. So I can't, as you might put it, get "away from the keyboard, and onto those feet".
    Last edited by BalthazarG; 4th January 2017 at 07:45 PM.

I've posted a very rough video of an extraction using a bottomless portafilter on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQWP3iwF4R7/

Lucky new owner of this beast! Been loving making coffee on it and the preinfusion just makes it soo much easier
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boontsien; 11th October 2017 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Photo upload
    matth3wh likes this.

338 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by boontsien View Post
    Absolutely Awesome!!! CONGRATS!
    matth3wh and boontsien like this.

Great machine! Hoping you can post some video of it in action to make us all jealous 🤣
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

I would love to see a video of an extraction with this machine if anybody has one I could check out? I'm co wondering having a LMLM and would most likely want it modded but very hard up here in QLD to organise. I am comparing against a gs3 mp (new one with the conical valve) which I also cannot get my hands on to try! I will be trialling a stock LMLM tomorrow but have a feeling the modded machine will be significantly better?

Quote Originally Posted by Javed View Post
    I would love to see a video of an extraction with this machine if anybody has one I could check out? I'm co wondering having a LMLM and would most likely want it modded but very hard up here in QLD to organise. I am comparing against a gs3 mp (new one with the conical valve) which I also cannot get my hands on to try! I will be trialling a stock LMLM tomorrow but have a feeling the modded machine will be significantly better?
    Post #83 in this thread.

Post #83 in this thread.
    Thanks very much. I was just hoping for potentially one showing the actual paddle action and from say the front or side of the machine to see workflow etc. Cheers.
    Last edited by Javed; 12th December 2017 at 07:55 PM.

Dying to get this done. But does the coffee taste 2k better though? Im trying to justify it. The standard PID wheel is an absolute joke. Wheres the centre point to know what temp your at?
    Pretzal likes this.

Once you get past a decent level of machine (which does not need to be pricey) the differences compared to output is marginal but what price do you put on the feelgood factor, having what you want, fun to operate etc. An HSV is not that much faster (especially in practical terms) than a base v8 commodore, but it has a different look / fell etc. the $/gain graph tapers off. Cant beat new toys and gadgets though!!

Cheers
    PhatBoy and DB79 like this.

Rick isn't doing this mod anymore.

I think any machine that has the mod done could and should become a bit of a collectors item in a way.
    matth3wh likes this.

Bummer. I hadn't heard that he'd stopped. Had one day hoped that I might get it for my machine...

Correct me if I'm wrong but the preinfusion time is capped at 1 second out of the factory right? so if you want more than 1 second, why not just turn the paddle to "on", let the preinfusion start, switch it to off for the amount you want then turn it back on? Its going to add at least another second doing that, and put more water into it but it's a cheap way of getting more hehe.

Ive tried different preinfusion times as I own an lever (elektra) and i personally don't see a huge amount of difference. Could be just my bad pallet though?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12