Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: ECM Synchronika

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Linea Mini - Very nice. Did you get Rick's mod?
    Hi

Sorry for not being clear as I have not bought yet as I am moving continents in 2 months.
    So I am waiting till we are back home to buy as voltage is different there also

But I am researching now & the only two I am presently interested in are the Mini & the Synchronika

Thanks

Nice looking machine enjoy

Hey Paul what are the updates?

Can't say I'm surprised - it ticks so many boxes. I was previously looking at other DBs and calculating the cost of upgrading to steam/hot water toggles, cool-touch wands, nicer portafilter handles etc... on the ECM there's just nothing left to upgrade! And more importantly it can't be faulted where it really matters - performance and results in the cup. Upgradeitis can't be cured entirely, but I'm confident the Synchronika is a long-term treatment (now, about that Pro800... ).

Long-form review still on the way. Waiting for the honeymoon period to abate - but it's proving somewhat stubborn.
    kbc likes this.

What if the honeymoon never ends?
    Little chance of that, machine snobs are always on the lookout for the next new whiz bang on the market.

I'll eat my hat if I upgrade in the next 3 years...

The way this site is going Andy is going to need to start stocking a range of hats in Bean Bay.... . Ladies and Gentlemen I bring you CoffeeSnobs Roastery and Millinery 😀
    Magic_Matt and kbc like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    The way this site is going Andy is going to need to start stocking a range of hats in Bean Bay.... . Ladies and Gentlemen I bring you CoffeeSnobs Roastery and Millinery ��
    We already have one....
    CoffeeSnobs - BeanBay - Snob Wear
    No hats yet though.

Mal.

Marcus
    Any chance for a video of the Synchronika?
    Also, do you have the V-Titan as well?
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Marcus
    The Synchronika on my bench last week didn't last 24 hours... I'll post a video next time I get hold of one.
    I can get the V-Titan but don't hold stock of that one. Most people go for ECM S-Automatic 64
    Cheers
    Paul
    Thanks!
    Really? It's my understanding that the V-Titan is much better than the S-Automatik. It's also much much nicer looking Is there a big price difference?

Marcus

I guess "much better" is partly subjective, but afaict the only functional differences are titanium burrs (longer life), anti-static funnel and portafilter handle rather than rest. Also has the larger hopper by default, but compatible with the S64 hopper.

Nicer looking is definitely subjective; would also depend on the location and machine it's sitting next to I guess.

Marcus
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    I guess "much better" is partly subjective, but afaict the only functional differences are titanium burrs (longer life), anti-static funnel and portafilter handle rather than rest.
    Alright perhaps "much" was too much, but better nontheless

Nicer looking is definitely subjective; would also depend on the location and machine it's sitting next to I guess.
    Sorry, I should've specified that it was my opinion, I kinda assumed it was common sense when talking about appearance since it is, by nature, highly individual. But yes, it's in the viewers eyes of course
    Dimal and Magic_Matt like this.

Hi Marcus,
    I had removed the Titan but it's back now due to new interest.
    See here for some specs and pricing: https://sites.google.com/site/thekbean/ecm
    I can see why you added it back and why there has been new interest, Mr K .... that Titan 64 is pretty funky in the looks category.
    kbc likes this.

Marcus
    Yep. Sure is
    Love it!
    Did you say that it's possible to use a smaller bean hopper with it? That's pretty much my only gripe with it that the bean hopper is a bit too large for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
    Alright perhaps "much" was too much, but better nontheless

Sorry, I should've specified that it was my opinion, I kinda assumed it was common sense when talking about appearance since it is, by nature, highly individual. But yes, it's in the viewers eyes of course
    True enough; I do wonder if the result in the basket will be any different given the similarities...

I was very tempted, but the smaller footprint of the S64 makes more sense as I'm about to move and most likely downsize (current kitchen bench is massive)
    Tanax likes this.

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteSzad View Post
    After reading up I'm close to ready for one of these. Tossing up the profitec pro700 and this one. Is this the right choice? So hard to choose !
    Nice short list!

Some differences Profitec v ECM:
    Steam and water valves (rotary valves v flick levers)
    Water tank access (cup warmer tray v flip lid)
    Steam tip (4 smaller holes v 2 bigger holes)
    Aesthetic differences

Charlie

I'd say you couldn't really go wrong with profitec 700 or the Synchronika. Both are absolutely amazing machines
    Brewster, Magic_Matt, kbc and 1 others like this.

Absolutely. Now that I've seen both "in the metal", Synchronika has the edge in terms of looks IMO; more "presence" owing to slightly larger overall dimensions and the continuous base (compared to the slightly narrower drip tray on the Profi). Finish looks pretty much identical to me - both are superb.

From there it's whether you prefer steam/hot water toggles over knobs, high or low gauge placement and a few other minor things. ECM portafilters are also minor works of art in their own right...
    kbc likes this.

True enough; I do wonder if the result in the basket will be any different given the similarities...

I was very tempted, but the smaller footprint of the S64 makes more sense as I'm about to move and most likely downsize (current kitchen bench is massive)
    An update... after some indecision, I went with the V-Titan - mostly for the aesthetics. I think it looks stunning - will be dialing it in tomorrow morning.

Thanks again @K_Bean_Coffee!
    kbc and KopiV like this.

An update... after some indecision, I went with the V-Titan - mostly for the aesthetics. I think it looks stunning - will be dialing it in tomorrow morning.

Hi MM
    I think you need to upgrade to an ECM knock box, would complete the look

The most overpriced accessory ECM have!

*quick google*

Ouch! Think I'll hang onto the Sunbeam! 😳

As far as knock boxes go, Sunbeam is the bang for the buck winner. Just hide it somewhere. It's not snobby enough to sit on the bench
    I see what you did there

It does what it says on the tin... actually the design is pretty good and oft-copied now with very effective stabilisation and sound deadening. Looks good for what it is I think - the only "wear" is oxidisation of the metal flakes in the paint, and a little staining from mouldy pucks inside. I sealed the ends of the knock bar (wood covered with what looks like some kind of high-pressure/temperature automotive hose) with silicone when I got it about ten years ago and it hasn't needed redone...

I'll still probably succumb to the ECM upgrade eventually though 😳

I'll still probably succumb to the ECM upgrade eventually though ��
    I love the ECM knock box... it's staying put even though I now have an LM machine.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    The most overpriced accessory ECM have!
    In our little world of $4000 coffee machines, $160 tampers, $50/kg coffee, $1500 grinders, $30 portafilter funnels, $30 filter baskets etc, a $100 tube of stainless seems like reasonable value to me
    BeanBrat, kbc and ScottyF like this.

No way! Happy with my small $30 knock box. I'd buy other ECM items that don't seem to be sold here, but that spare $70 would go into other toys! They look great, I get that there's a market for them.
    Dimal, kbc and kopiku like this.

Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    No way! Happy with my small $30 knock box. I'd buy other ECM items that don't seem to be sold here, but that spare $70 would go into other toys! They look great, I get that there's a market for them.
    Or, maybe some more CS Coffee...

Mal.
    Magic_Matt, magnafunk and readeral like this.

Marcus

Such a sexy combination!

Congrats ! Looks Great! Are you happy with the grind? This one has really caught my eye & there is a new video on You Tube also

Quote Originally Posted by Mania View Post
    Congrats ! Looks Great! Are you happy with the grind? This one has really caught my eye & there is a new video on You Tube also

Thanks! I've been travelling so haven't really had the chance to dial it in yet, yet alone run it in/"season" the burrs - but early impressions are positive.

I'd expect grind quality to be identical to the Profi and ECM S-Automatic 64 given the only real difference is ti rather than steel burrs; don't expect this to make a difference except to lifespan (biblical vs immortal).

But - it looks stunning, and the extra size over the *64 twins means it appears more balanced next to the Synchronika in my eyes. Given I should have it for at least 5-10 years, the overall difference in cost is low even if it's just for aesthetics.

The ECM video for the ECM 64 showed very consistent timed doses, and I'd also expect this to carry over to the Titan. With a couple of simple, reversible mods, I'm aiming for zero retention and very low waste combined with a loaded hopper and quick, easy grind/dose/distribution.
    Mania likes this.

Any more ex demo units coming up?

can you still get them?

didn't get your PM?

Ex demo contro at its new home, matched with a stealthy matt black Quamar Q50 P and adorned with Pesado 58.5 goodies. Congrats to the new owner

The Contro is a really nice looking machine

Did anyone ever mention if it is the same as a synchronika inside or not?

Just curious

Thanks

Yes, Controvento and Synchronika have the same performance and internals. Also, yes, the Synchronika also has passive pre-infusion.
    x Paul...
    Would like to ask you since I see you also sell LM Linea Mini

If you have used the LMLM & how would you compare these two machines?
    I mean the LMLM vs the Contro/Sychro

I realize they are different brew heads E61 vs integrated & boiler sizes etc
    But am just curious about these two machines

Thanks for any info

Thanks for your thoughts on the cpmpare

The price difference is a lot bigger in the US

Unless they offer LM discounts I dont know about prices seem steady at $4500 for the LM
    And $2900 for the Synchronika

That $1600 is a decent or close to a decent grinder too

But mainly I have been pretty impressed with the ECM looks & reviews so far

The LM of course is as most say a stable temp machine of commercial quality with steam galore

Thanks again
    kbc and Melbroaster like this.

I've not used the LMLM, but had a reasonable play with a GS3 in a workplace over a few months a little while back.

My impression is that for my use, the GS3 really only offered bling over the ECM (it was a volumetric button variant). Personally the LMLM is less attractive aesthetically than the ECM, but of course that's subjective. I'd prefer an E61 lever the LMLM paddle (again, completely subjective), especially the ECM variant.

In terms of performance, acknowledging my limited experience, I've been able to produce some shots from the Synchronika that were at least as good as anything I tasted from the GS3 (including shots pulled by others with more experience on that setup). The GS3 had more enthusiastic steam than the Synchro out-of-the-box, but of course this is adjustable via PID on the ECM and I've never gone close to running low anyhow.

Personally, of those two I'd take the Synchronika (again) or save for something else (GS3 or full Linea... or sprung lever).

TC
    I've not used the LMLM, but had a reasonable play with a GS3 in a workplace over a few months a little while back.

My impression is that for my use, the GS3 really only offered bling over the ECM (it was a volumetric button variant). Personally the LMLM is less attractive aesthetically than the ECM, but of course that's subjective. I'd prefer an E61 lever the LMLM paddle (again, completely subjective), especially the ECM variant.

In terms of performance, acknowledging my limited experience, I've been able to produce some shots from the Synchronika that were at least as good as anything I tasted from the GS3 (including shots pulled by others with more experience on that setup). The GS3 had more enthusiastic steam than the Synchro out-of-the-box, but of course this is adjustable via PID on the ECM and I've never gone close to running low anyhow.

Personally, of those two I'd take the Synchronika (again) or save for something else (GS3 or full Linea... or sprung lever).
    Yes and no...

Personally, I can't live with another square box, so that rules out square boxes including ECM stuff. Synchro for me? Sorry, but I see the whole chook, not the feather. Disrespectfully, it's a bimbo machine. As they say, it's in the eye of the beholder and that's what mine beholds...

One of the advantages of LM gear is that once they are up to pressure, they are ready to roll. This is 10 (Linea mini)-15 (GS3) minutes rather than the 30ish for e-61 gear and 45ish for spring leva groups (unless the design includes cartridge heaters). In addition, make a temp change via the PID and you see it pretty much immediately in the Linea mini and very rapidly when compared to e-61. I think we'll see many more Linea mini style groups from a whole heap of manufacturers in the not too distant future as they deliver a truckload of positives with very few negatives.

Steamwise- LM blows the others (literally) out of the ball park... Many also love the native ability to program the GS3 to turn itself on and off as well.

As always, it comes down to matching yourself to the right machine for you.
    matth3wh and DB79 like this.

My last three machines have been:
    1. ECM Technica Profi IV;
    2. Profitec Pro 700; and now
    3. Linea Mini.

I've said it before, the Linea Mini looks heaps better in the flesh than it does in photographs. I prefer the Linea Mini to either of the ECM or Profitec. Steam pressure, as stated many times, is phenomenal on the LM. I'm very happy with the machine I've got to, and I maintain that the Linea Mini, in relative terms, is an absolute steal! In North America it costs close to double what the ECM/Profitec double boilers cost.
    matth3wh, TC and DB79 like this.

Fair call on the shiny boxes Chris; looks are of course subjective but with access to wholesale pricing and business tax writeoff I'd most likely have something more esoteric-looking on the bench... just not a mini (and I've seen one at a mate's place)

The Alex Leva was also on my shortlist; the merest curve off being just-another-chrome-box (but still good looking to my eye). As you say, at the end of the day the OP is the only one who has to live with his/her decision; and $1600 US is a lot to spend for aesthetics, if the shorter startup isn't a big factor.

Just purchased a new Sync from x today and will be picking it up on Thursday. Will be pairing it up with a Macap M4D, Can't wait service has been exceptional from Paul and I highly recommend his business. Thanks again
    Dimal, Magic_Matt and tannyboy like this.

Nice overview video of the Sync.

https://youtu.be/hunFv7E51L8
    kbc likes this.

the sync doesn't come with that nice tamper, it comes with a cheap crappy plastic one which is a little disappointing considering the cost.

I'm loving mine combined with a Macap M4D. Machine is so quiet to run.
    I will be plumbing mine in very soon as the tank is a little small for my liking

Post pics of your new setup

I will in a couple of days when the Pesado goodies arrive
    kbc likes this.

Plumbed it in yesterday to mains water via inline filter. Very easy to do and looking forward to not having to top up the water so much.
    loving the machine so far and have a friend also going to buy one from Paul once he finishes building his house this month.

pics coming sooooon.......

Quote Originally Posted by bowser View Post
    Plumbed it in yesterday to mains water via inline filter. Very easy to do and looking forward to not having to top up the water so much.
    loving the machine so far and have a friend also going to buy one from Paul once he finishes building his house this month.

pics coming sooooon.......
    May I know what is the pre-infusion pressure between water tank and plumb-in? If the pressure is almost the same, I guess we don't really need to plump-in right? But from my understanding, true pre-infusion required plumb-in and doesn't work with water tank

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I guess we don't really need to plump-in right?
    No, you may prefer to just chew the fat instead

Preinfusion will be influenced by line pressure as well as the anatomy of the e-61 group.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    May I know what is the pre-infusion pressure between water tank and plumb-in? If the pressure is almost the same, I guess we don't really need to plump-in right? But from my understanding, true pre-infusion required plumb-in and doesn't work with water tank

I haven't noticed a difference on the pressure gauge between using tank vs plumbed in. I just got sick of filling the tank everyday and because of my kitchen layout I had to pull the machine out to allow the lid to open

the gauge on the left normally sits around 1.25 Bar, the gauge on the right sits at 4 Bar static and rises to 10 ish from memory.

Come to think of it I can't remember the RHS gauge being 4 Bar before. Is this too high?

what are the differences Paul? shot clock on mine is black both other than that looks the same

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast