Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree264Likes

Thread: Considering a Linea mini

There's always kees van der westen

haha... perhaps this ultra bling mod will push you over the sick edge.

At least if you're using it at a wedding you can charge a pretty penny for it ... well because of the wedding word of course.

REF: read more on sprudge
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Finally saw one on a showroom floor yesterday, totally underwhelmed.

They may well be the bees knees performance wise, visually? very domestic looking, wouldn't want one in my kitchen.
    Would have to agree with you Yelta re the looks. The traditional la marzocco look just doesn't cary over well in this instance

Can someone photoshop a GS3 style steam lever on to the Mini. Curious to see if that might work :-)

They may well be the bees knees performance wise, visually? very domestic looking, wouldn't want one in my kitchen.
    Each to their own! I've owned more than a few different e61s and levers and this is exactly what I wanted in our kitchen.
    Dimal, matth3wh, Paolo and 1 others like this.

Perhaps some wood or a splash of colour ...

It's never been a looker this machine, (kinda looks like a Via Venezia!) but it is being bought for its performance not appearance.
    LFM60 likes this.

Have to agree with Yelta here, I wouldn't want one in my kitchen either.....unless my kitchen was still firmly in the 1960s. My money no object machine is still a Slayer, but given the stated performance and a 5k price tag, I can still think of a few other machines I'd rather have on the bench.

I look at it a different way I guess and I'd love one in my kitchen.

I don't think it wins any 'pretty' awards, but I love the concept of the styling, it's like industrial art. I think it looks cool not pretty. It really brings the commercial/professional cafe feel to the home showing it's link to their commercial machines. I believe that is what they are trying to achieve and if you want the pretty and minimalistic design then they have the GS3 and in between (in looks) could be a single group strada (but I guess lot higher pricing if they have released one).

The slayer definitely is one for looks and yes is a lot nicer looking than the Mini.
    coffee_machinist and Lukemc like this.

Who knows, perhaps it will become a classic, a bit like some of the Scandinavian furniture of the 50's and 60's, though it does seem that once electronics become involved collectability diminishes.

I really like the aesthetics of the linea mini I have to say. Proportionally I think it works really well, and the lack of bling is a breath of fresh air. I find it purposeful and simple, very much the antithesis of the traditional machine with ornate chrome and styling for the sake of styling, so I get why it doesn't float alot of boats.

It doesn't look like the archetypal 'fancy coffee machine', it looks more like something out of a commercial kitchen. Works for me.

Who knows, perhaps it will become a classic, a bit like some of the Scandinavian furniture of the 50's and 60's, though it does seem that once electronics become involved collectability diminishes.
    Hey Yelta maybe your Bezzera domus galatea will become a classic.

Off topic but Bezzera always make me think of Alfa Romeo, maybe because of the similar logo, but also of the simplistic touches that have great effect on styling. I've always thought the Domus Galatea is a nice classic look with great flair and would look great in my kitchen...

I think that any machine that Rick has worked his magic on, will become a classic, regardless of its origins...

Mal.
    gonzo89 likes this.

Rick - sorry confused. Are you still going to be modifying linea minis that people bring to you?

Considering a Linea mini

Coffee mathematics

Coffee is good.
    Machine makes good coffee.
    Machine is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    He certainly is. The shot timer and preinfusion mod on ours along with the restrictor change have produced a machine which delivers everything in the cup that our Slayer can. The real PID is just really nice to have. This machine is sheer brilliance and for little more than 50% of a Slayer. I honestly think I'd have one in preference to a GS3 as the preinfusion is just so much better.

It's our everyday go to machine on our bench and will be on demo tomorrow for any CS'ers who would like a look/taste/play.

I was just about to type a question before i read this, I was at Di Bartoli today dropping my ECM Giotto in for service. Once again, i was in deep and meaningful conversation with Renzo re updating (i did the same last year too). I admired the new ECM, but problem was, next to it sat the Linea Mini, then the GS3. So, the La Marzocca's have me in a quandry. Meaning, I just love the Mini but would the GS3 warrant the close to double price. Yeah, i'm a self confessed coffee snob but feel the the GS3's extra adjustments and features could be wasted on me. Opinions greatly appreciated !
    matth3wh likes this.

Hi Matth3wh
    This is a quick and dirty lunch time photoshopping of some toggles for the Linea for you.
    My photoshop skills are not great and I didn't get the perspective right but hopefully you will get the idea.
    *Just noticed that I could have made the toggles a fair bit bigger. Might mod them tomorrow at lunch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    matth3wh and dlight like this.

Considering a Linea mini

Awesome. Thank you for that. I'm sold. Just need to make it a wood paddle too :-)

Just need to see if Rick coffee machinist or ACE can work their magic.

I see La Marzocco USA have the custom wood paddle options AND now the Acaia Lunar integrated drip tray that I wanted!

GS3 lovers don't miss out on your op to drop some hard cash on your custom drip tray too. Just over $200 USD for you.

Sorry, but I can't help feeling a little bit like LM are the Apple of coffee machines. Yet I want those add ons... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel84 View Post
    Apologies in advance to any sponsors on Coffee Snobs who sell La Marzoccos, but I find it hard to believe that Italians designed the Linea and GS3. In fact, the more I look at these eyesores, the more convinced I become that they'd look their best stuffed in the boot of some bogan's Monaro

Each to their own, but I prefer an espresso machine to actually look like an espresso machine - not some compact, portable barbecue. I'm sure they make superb coffee in the right hands, but even so...the style appears to have got up and walked off during the assembly stage. Just atrocious!
    La Marzocco is an American company. While the name is Italian with a long heritage, it was bought by Americans some years back and as far as I know all recent designs have been American rather than Italian, or at the very least heavily influenced by Americans.

Not that I think that's a bad thing, I love my American/Italian GS3 just as much as I love my completely Italian Izzo Duetto.

My favourite La Marzocco is the GB5. If ever I had a cafe, I'd have one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel84 View Post
    Huh! Go on, get one anyway. Spoil yourself! You know you'll just be unsatisfied until you do - and why shouldn't you be? You're a coffee snob. It's your right by entitlement!

What's this disease I keep hearing about? Ah yes - the old upgraditis. Wonderful thing, isn't it? Makes us reach for the gods.
    Uh, I would be very unsatisfied with a GB5 in my kitchen. There's no way I'd want one of those outside of a cafe..

I've had a Linea Mini in white for about 3 months now and I love it. Almost commercial steam pressure, bang on espresso shots and I love the styling. It looks great with my white Compak E5. As stated, it is a basic and simplistic machine that is built to punch out great coffee, fast. The steam pressure is crazy and its nothing to punch 6-8 lattes back to back (it steams 400ml milk in like 10 seconds I would say). I do think it's a machine for purists and those who know how to make coffee, it could be temperamental if your dosing and frothing technique isn't ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by snedden9485 View Post
    I do think it's a machine for purists and those who know how to make coffee
    Guess that excludes me.
    Lukemc likes this.

Guess that excludes me.
    It's not like he said "It's exclusively the machine for purists" - clearly his second clause clarifies the purpose of the statement.

Thanks for your input Snedden.
    matth3wh likes this.

I don't mean it in a derogatory snobbish way, i just mean if your'e someone who loves LM equipment and likes the minimal nature, this is a nice machine. If you want something with more tech and bells and whistles, maybe something like a R60V or other machines with digital PIDs are more up your alley. The LM is super basic, rotary wheel temp adjuster and on / off paddle, but honestly I love it. I think it feels great too, everything is ultra high quality and its quite a bulky machine in the flesh to be honest. They appear much smaller in pictures than in the flesh IMO.
    matth3wh, Melbroaster and Lukemc like this.

It is a wonderful machine. The more I use it the more I 'get' how good it is
    matth3wh likes this.

This thread seems to have moved in the direction of aesthetics... the distribution of posters appears to have split into three camps:
    1. Those who don't like the look - some have made their views extremely clear;
    2. Those who do like the look - and haven't bought one; and
    3. Those who like the look and have purchased.

However, I think it is very difficult to question the functionality of the machine itself... it's great at its stated purpose.
    matth3wh likes this.

Its basically just small version of the retro styled Linea Classic, which I am also a huge fan of. Me peronsally, Im not a huge fan of the commercial FB80, where some others love it. But after spending a few hours behind a 3 group Linea Classic in a fairly busy cafe, the transition from the Linea mini wasn't a big step in terms of steam pressure or usability. Sure the Commercial machine has auto volumetrics, but i can now see how much of a "scaled down home version" the Linea Mini is.
    matth3wh likes this.

PB with scales is where the action is...

snedden9485 and GunBarista like this.

I had the 3 group línea in my cafe, upgraded from 3 group Wega Polaris; the stability and consistency from a saturated group head (at high volume) is pretty much undisputed.

I'm not totally convinced with the 1 second pre-infusion on it tho, but I've always pulled my shots manually.

..and yes, it could've been a better looking machine, but hey, it's what under the hood that counts right?
    Dimal, Di_Bartoli and matth3wh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MG32 View Post
    .. a pork chop incinerator

Hahahahaha!!! That's one funny description giggled like a schoolgirl!

Yes, true but price point wise a LM is much more
    realistic than a Kees Van Der Westen or a Slayer..

..and then there are others like San Remo and The Black Eagle .... ahhhhhhh so many toys.... so little money...
    matth3wh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GunBarista View Post

I'm not totally convinced with the 1 second pre-infusion on it tho, but I've always pulled my shots manually.

..and yes, it could've been a better looking machine, but hey, it's what under the hood that counts right?
    One second pre-infusion eh? interesting.

As far as appearance is concerned, perhaps we are witnessing a classic case of form follows function.
    GunBarista likes this.

Considering a Linea mini

One second pre-infusion eh? interesting.

As far as appearance is concerned, perhaps we are witnessing a classic case of form follows function.
    Yeah, on the volumetric (programmable button) function, it automatically drops a one-second purge then pauses for another second before it pulls completely through.

(That's referring to the 3 group)
    Last edited by GunBarista; 13th December 2016 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    Perhaps some wood or a splash of colour ...
    How about this one that we recently sold

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNJQxIhA9bG/

New Picture.jpg

psst, we also have it in black too!

Come see us and play with it in the flesh/metal
    Dimal and matth3wh like this.

]

Dont do it! It's a trap
    Smee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post

Dont do it! It's a trap

haha I don't think barista trill ever left his house after getting one! XD

but why would you when you have one of the best home barista machines that would challenge most cafes!

You only live once, just do it

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
    La Marzocco is an American company. While the name is Italian with a long heritage, it was bought by Americans some years back and as far as I know all recent designs have been American rather than Italian, or at the very least heavily influenced by Americans.
    Not sure about the company being American owned, have done some research and can find nothing to confirm or contradict the fact.

Below is a link that provides an interesting insight of the La Marzocco company.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Marzocco
    GunBarista likes this.

At the top end of the corporate world not much is clear cut.

La Marzocco International LLC is an American Holding Company which has a 90% share in la Marzocco.

It would seem that La Marzocco Italy is a division of La Marzocco International LLC just as La Marzocco Australia, England and USA are.

La Marzocco finds a new place to call home | The Premier Coffee Magazine, BeanScene

La Marzocco International, LLC: Private Company Information - Bloomberg
    Jonathon and Yelta like this.

For anyone worried that the Linea Mini is a lot of $ for an espresso machine the new strada 1 group by la marzocco is triple the cost of a Linea mini, and yes both will find their way to people's kitchens....... !!!
    snedden9485 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    For anyone worried that the Linea Mini is a lot of $ for an espresso machine the new strada 1 group by la marzocco is triple the cost of a Linea mini, and yes both will find their way to people's kitchens....... !!!
    Hate to be the one to break it to you Melbroaster, $5000 for an espresso machine is a substantial amount of money, add the cost of a suitable grinder and other bit and pieces, you probably have an outlay of over $7000.

In fact would be a good start toward the deposit on a house that people are quick to tell us they cant manage nowadays, ah yes, of course, credit, it's a slippery slope.
    Smee and MG32 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chokkidog View Post
    At the top end of the corporate world not much is clear cut.

La Marzocco International LLC is an American Holding Company which has a 90% share in la Marzocco.

It would seem that La Marzocco Italy is a division of La Marzocco International LLC just as La Marzocco Australia, England and USA are.

La Marzocco finds a new place to call home | The Premier Coffee Magazine, BeanScene

La Marzocco International, LLC: Private Company Information - Bloomberg

Thanks Chokkidog, I can go to bed this evening knowing I am wiser than when I woke this AM.

Ain't is surprising how much a post on wikipedia can conceal.

Thanks Chokkidog, I can go to bed this evening knowing I am wiser than when I woke this AM.

Ain't is surprising how much a post on wikipedia can conceal.
    Yes it's probably not so good for La Marzocco's American owners if the world understands they're a Seattle company rather than a Florence company, although Slayer seem to so ok.

I could be wrong on this, but wasn't the GS3 designed by Bill Crossland when he worked for La Marzocco in Seattle?

Hate to be the one to break it to you Melbroaster, $5000 for an espresso machine is a substantial amount of money, add the cost of a suitable grinder and other bit and pieces, you probably have an outlay of over $7000.

In fact would be a good start toward the deposit on a house that people are quick to tell us they cant manage nowadays, ah yes, of course, credit, it's a slippery slope.

Thanks Yelta, all quality espresso equipment is a substantial outlay. I am sure that everyone on the forum agrees with that. The point I was making in my earlier post is that with the LM Linea Mini already at the high end of what most people would consider spending for home use, it is amazing to me that some people are no doubt currently going through a thought process around purchasing a machine for home that costs triple the purchase price of a Linea Mini.

When it comes to what we're passionate about, I don't think the price tag matters anymore.

Lord, I know I've spent waaaaay too much money over the years with my pastimes like audio heats and motorcycles.

If you like something, just go for it
    snedden9485 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Hi Pretzal.

I sell the LMLM, Profitec Pro 700 and ECM Synchronika, so believe me, my opinion below is unbiased.

There are lots of differences between traditional high end DBs and the LMLM.

Traditional high end DSs:
    Ability to use small brew boiler only to save power when using for espresso only.
    PID brew temp control
    E61 head
    Shot timer (some)
    Classic looks
    More than enough steam pressure for me.

LMLM:
    Fake paddle is a massive disappointment.
    LM premium price.
    Big steam pressure.
    Fast heat up time.

I would say the LMLM is over-rated and over-priced. It's only worth considering if you are going to get Rick's mods. The fact that the factory machine needs after-market mods says a lot.

My opinion. Some people love them. I hope this helps a little.
    I am considering a LMLM. But what would recommend then it that pricerange?

I have one and am very satisfied with it.
    Casa Espresso likes this.

This bought a smile to me dial, La Marzocco recommend Mazzer as the ideal grinder to use with the Linea Mini.
    https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/grinders/

"Every great espresso machine needs to be paired with a high performance grinder in order to create espresso magic. La Marzocco Home offers a selection of Mazzer grinders. Mazzer has been making grinders since the early 1940’s in a little town right outside of Venice, Italy. They are used in many of the most highly regarded cafes in the world. These professional grade grinders pair perfectly with La Marzocco espresso machines."

Wonder if there is a commercial connection between LM and Mazzer?

They also make the point that Flat burr grinders are better suited to home use and explain the reason for their thinking.

"Flat Burrs for the Home

When thinking about grinder burrs, there are two options: conical and flat. High volume cafes use conical burrs to speed up the grinding process and prevent overheating. La Marzocco Home is offering grinders with flat burr sets because they’re more efficient for the home. They give you plenty of speed and an optimal extraction for complex flavor profiles."

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    My dial is smiling as well Yelta. How's that for timing
    Evening Paul, Yep! you never know which way the cookie's gonna crumble.

I would go far as to say that its wonderful. Identical and delicious back to back shots until the cows come home. Textbook syrupy pours. No fuss. Steams any size pitcher quickly. I have previously used a 1.5 litre pitcher for the comedy value. Dont like the temp? Change it and pull your next shot. Just delivers time after time.
    matth3wh, boontsien and Thier79dk like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3