Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By greencardigan

Thread: Faema Due - $150

Faema Due - $150

I've picked up another old Faema Due to get running. This one is about the same age as the other - 1995ish.

Externally it's in better condition but internally it looks worse. It's been the home for a few animals by the looks!

- One of the steam wands is partially missing. Does anyone recognise the wand attachment that is remaining (see photo)? It's not an original part I don't think.
    - The electronics all seem to be OK
    - One of the 3-way solenoids seems a bit temperamental. Seems to work better once the machine is hot.
    - Manual fill valve is seized.
    - Hot water valve leaks badly. Water exits once boiler begins building up pressure.

Yet to check the pump, pressurestat, pressure gauge, steam valves.

_DSC2159.jpg_DSC2160.jpg_DSC2169.jpgDSC_0254.JPGDSC_0266.JPG

I've got a Faema Due single group for repair and it's got the same steam wand as yours so I suspect it's standard.

Just clarifying. Same as my left one? Or same as my missing right one?

Sorry I misread your question. That does appear to be non-standard. The steam wand on mine is a regular ball joint.

The other wand on mine is missing and it's just an empty threaded hole.

A beautiful world of corrosion awaits you in that boiler by the looks of the element connectors

Both the pump and motor are working fine. The pump was seized but a disassemble and descale has revived it.

Next step is to descale the blocked inlet valve unit, both groups and the HX plumbing.
    matth3wh likes this.

Removed and descaled the water level meter. The auto fill probe was very badly rusted and had broken half way down.

Do you think I could replace the probe with a 3mm stainless rod? It shouldn't need to be anything special should it?

IMG_20170419_072147.jpg IMG_20170419_072509.jpg

Spent my first $1 on this machine and got a 3mm stainless rod delivered from China. It seems like it will be suitable to replace the broken probe.

Just not sure yet how I will attach the probe lead to the rod. The original probe was threaded on the end.

IMG_20170519_073406.jpg IMG_20170519_071822.jpg
    matth3wh likes this.

I would Silver Solder/Braze a standard male spade connector to the top of it mate.
    Wouldn't recommend standard soldering with s/s and a dissimilar metal...

Mal.

I ended up using a screw terminal I had laying around. Seems to be working fine although I possibly cut the stainless rod a bit short. I don't have a lot of room for adjusting the water level.

Also, group 1 is all working fine after a strip and descale of the group head and heat exchanger plumbing.

Next steps:
    - Check pressurestat and if boiler can get up to pressure since fixing hot water valve.
    - Check flow meter operation.
    - Descale 2nd group and plumbing.
    - Adjust pump pressure. My pressure gauge is reading 10-11 bar when running water through the group head.

IMG_20170520_134112.jpg IMG_20170520_134642.jpg
    Dimal likes this.

My boiler water level in the gauge is being weird. Obviously not the actual boiler water level, but just in the sight glass. It fluctuates over time and slowly rises then drops back down. This is with the pump off and the machine sitting idle.

Bumping the machine also makes the level drop back down. See video.

I'm thinking it something to do with a blockage or low pressure forming? Any other ideas? It has just had a thorough clean and descale.

And my first shot from this machine.

Dimal likes this.

Perhaps barometric fluctuations.

Quote Originally Posted by greencardigan View Post
    My boiler water level in the gauge is being weird. Obviously not the actual boiler water level, but just in the sight glass. It fluctuates over time and slowly rises then drops back down. This is with the pump off and the machine sitting idle.

Bumping the machine also makes the level drop back down.
    Probably something (scale) partially blocking one or both of the inlet tubes...

Mal.

I have the second group all cleaned and working fine.

Just a one small issue remaining. A slightly leaking anti vacuum valve. I've cleaned it out but it keeps leaking a tad. Might have to try replacing the seal, or replace the whole valve, or ignore it.