• 2 Post By darrynhatfield
  • 3 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By darrynhatfield
  • 1 Post By artman
  • 1 Post By LionelHutz
  • 3 Post By JohnA

Thread: Breville Oracle Touch - Bes990XL

Breville Oracle Touch - Bes990XL

Creating a new thread for this latest iteration of the Oracle as the new model is in a different price category from the BES980.
    matth3wh, KizZ84 and Lawrencep93 like this.

KizZ84 and Lawrencep93 like this.

Melbroaster,
    Thanks for showing this new Breville,sounds wonderful albeit a matter of selling my home for the deposit!
    I would love to get my younger sister this model,she you be the perfect candidate with all the options.
    I'm sure these will soon grace many domestic situations however,I remain a manual machine enthusiastist.
    I do have some auto's and they have their place,just my own preference is to manually heat/ purge& brew together with a texturing of milk.
    Thanks again for the link.
    cheers,
    Mick.

Melbroaster,
    Thanks for showing this new Breville,sounds wonderful albeit a matter of selling my home for the deposit!
    I would love to get my younger sister this model,she would be the perfect candidate with all the options.
    I'm sure these will soon grace many domestic situations however,I remain a manual machine enthusiastist.
    I do have some auto's and they have their place,just my own preference is to manually heat/ purge& brew together with a texturing of milk.
    Thanks again for the link.
    cheers,
    Mick.

I will never be in the market for this type of thing for myself but as a marketing move by breville it makes a lot of sense. They should steal more sales from jura and all those other multi thousand $ appliances that grace small offices, homes of non-coffee enthusiasts and even car service waiting rooms etc.... that dont want to train people to use commercial espresso gear. My hunch is that its the right product at the wrong price. $2,500 was the starting point for the previous model and these days was more commonly sub $2,000 so a jump to $3,500 for a substantially similar machine is going to confuse/alienate the market.
    matth3wh likes this.

Melbroaster... You've got me intrigued now to find out the new features of the 990XL.

Perhaps they've learned some lessons from the previous product.

The way that they are positioning it is very close to a robot barista. User has to do little more than pour milk into the jug, move the portafilter handle from the grinding/tamping position to the brewing position and click on a latte symbol on the touchscreen. It will never satisfy most enthusiasts, but the funny thing is that if you feed it with quality beans the level of automation will likely outperform the average cafe because it will guard the user from many of the human errors that contribute to the average cafe coffee tasting like crap, without resorting to the even lower quality delivered by most superautomatics
    matth3wh, readeral and Lawrencep93 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    Perhaps they've learned some lessons from the previous product.
    You can charge a lot more for a shiny product if you put a touchscreen on it
    matth3wh, readeral and 338 like this.

Apprentice Coffee snob
    I understand 'why' these inventions exist but for me it pulls the heart out of the process.

I wonder what their next step of automation is? Direct injection to the stomach?

I would love to have just the grinder/tamper part! The mess from manual grind and tamp is the one area of my espresso setup that I hate Actually it's the cleanup I hate...

Some grinders are essentially mess free so clean up is non existent. Slightly messy grinders can be essentially mess free with a PF funnel. Some just seem to spray grinds everywhere!

Does this touch essentially have the same internals with just a new interface?

Cheers

I was thinking that as well; ie if you could buy a breville smart grinder with the inbuilt puqpress style tamp that gives you a 1 step grind and tamp that would be pretty awesome especially for beginners
    Choman and readeral like this.

Blog Entries
    Congrats Breville!

The Breville Oracle Touch just won the overall 2017 best new consumer machine at the SCAA Speciality Coffee Expo in Seattle.
    (An award previously won by the LM Linea single)

bes990bss.jpg

As mentioned by others above, I too can see plenty of places that something like this makes a lot of sense. Office kitchenettes and those too busy (lazy?) to learn good technique can still produce great coffee and use great beans instead of those nasty pods or worse, instant coffee.

Office, hairdresser, mechanic workshop waiting room... for about $3 a day (over 3 years) all of those places could easily justify having one.

I look forward to playing with one in the flesh sometime.

https://www.breville.com.au/the-oracle-tm-touch.html
    BES990BSS_ANZ

my wife would love this. She hates using my r58 and kony e so never makes herself a coffee with it.
    Complains that its all too hard.

However at $3500 i am not sure, but if it takes sales away from some of those other full auto machines and makes a good cup of coffee, i can certainly see a market for it, and not to mention the amount of bench space saved.

Hi Guys,

Well I bought one of these last weekend. I showed my wife and the guy at the shop made her a coffee and showed how simple it was to use and that basically clinched it. Yes it is expensive (overpriced I think)....but I had the Breville Dual Boiler and Smart Grinder setup for a few years and bought a behmor roaster from Coffee Snobs and thought that I would be making daily coffees and enjoying good coffee. In the end we only ended up using it sparsely, mainly when friends came over or the odd coffee for myself. My wife never used it as it was too difficult for her and I had trouble getting consistency and to be frank, it was a lot of effort for a coffee. I get why people do it but I just didn't take to it as much as I thought I would. I still love roasting though....

FYI. It is basically the same as the Oracle but it has an LCD touch screen with recipes built in...and you can make your own....You can do all of this with the Oracle but it doesn't save the individual recipe...No biggie for me but for my wife it was a clincher and she loves it....Bottom line, she's making her own coffees which she has never done so it was worth it in the end...Oh....I managed to get 4 years extra warranty (6 years total) though Harvey Norman and it was $3650 all up. The extra warranty is a replacement unit and ability to upgrade to new model if the old one isn't available....
    matth3wh and trentski like this.

Quote Originally Posted by darrynhatfield View Post
    Hi Guys,

Well I bought one of these last weekend. I showed my wife and the guy at the shop made her a coffee and showed how simple it was to use and that basically clinched it. Yes it is expensive (overpriced I think)....but I had the Breville Dual Boiler and Smart Grinder setup for a few years and bought a behmor roaster from Coffee Snobs and thought that I would be making daily coffees and enjoying good coffee. In the end we only ended up using it sparsely, mainly when friends came over or the odd coffee for myself. My wife never used it as it was too difficult for her and I had trouble getting consistency and to be frank, it was a lot of effort for a coffee. I get why people do it but I just didn't take to it as much as I thought I would. I still love roasting though....

FYI. It is basically the same as the Oracle but it has an LCD touch screen with recipes built in...and you can make your own....You can do all of this with the Oracle but it doesn't save the individual recipe...No biggie for me but for my wife it was a clincher and she loves it....Bottom line, she's making her own coffees which she has never done so it was worth it in the end...Oh....I managed to get 4 years extra warranty (6 years total) though Harvey Norman and it was $3650 all up. The extra warranty is a replacement unit and ability to upgrade to new model if the old one isn't available....
    I understand the main issue with the Oracle was it dosing 21-22 grams regardless of whether you want a single or double shot. Do you know if this has been changed in the Touch?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed1000 View Post
    I understand the main issue with the Oracle was it dosing 21-22 grams regardless of whether you want a single or double shot. Do you know if this has been changed in the Touch?
    Well I actually weighed the shot after it was tamped and it was about 12mg for a single shot so it sounds like that it no longer an issue.

12 milligrams? How'd you manage to tamp that?

Java "Just a bit over-extracted" phile
    Magic_Matt, level3ninja and zeezaw like this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Haha...sorry, 12 grams....that would be a weak coffee!
    kbc likes this.

Yeah so it is about 11-12 gm for a single shot or 21-22 gm for a double shot

After failure to 2 oracles I wouldn't be going near another Breville coffee machine. That is a lot of money for a toy but they will sell

Where can you buy these? I can only see Harvey Norman online.

I'm about to open a 6 person office, trying to avoid the calls to buy a Nespresso machine, and this looks like it would be just the thing.

Saw one at HN a few weeks ago. There was a guy demoing it. It appears the only difference is the interface. I would save the $ and put it towards fresh beans, or a decent extended warranty?

Cheers
    matth3wh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Saw one at HN a few weeks ago. There was a guy demoing it. It appears the only difference is the interface. I would save the $ and put it towards fresh beans, or a decent extended warranty?
    Yeah, the interface seems like a small upgrade, but for an office where everyone needs to be able to make their own, I actually think it might be useful to have a super-simple interface.

$3500 seems hard to justify next to the BES980, but easier to justify compared to a Jura or Saeco (or the ongoing costs of Nespresso capsules).
    matth3wh likes this.

A nice walk through of the touchscreen on the BES990 can be found here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cruTvLq4Vpk

For us aussies, I'm not sure the $1000+ 'extra' is worth it, unless you really like to change your coffee settings around lots.

If you drink the same cup aka settings all the time, the BES980 would seem better value.

Hi everyone. I've just bought this model on Sunday and I think the touchscreen is faulty. Whenever the machine is on, the screen has lots of random, dancing pixels/interference artefacts on the screen. Worse/more if it's actually in operation. Worth taking back to the shop for a return/replacement, or is this normal for this model?
    Thanks and hi again

Quote Originally Posted by simonr23 View Post
    Hi everyone. I've just bought this model on Sunday and I think the touchscreen is faulty. Whenever the machine is on, the screen has lots of random, dancing pixels/interference artefacts on the screen. Worse/more if it's actually in operation. Worth taking back to the shop for a return/replacement, or is this normal for this model?
    Thanks and hi again
    i'd be taking it straight back and ask for a replacement if it was faulty straight out of the box
    matth3wh, simonr23 and woodhouse like this.

This was on sale in the Qantas points store just got it in the mail. Any recommended setting changes for a good Melbourne style espresso, I have a nice dark roast coffee I get locally roasted and am replacing an old Saeco Royal Cappuccino which I was quite happy with after putting it on the finest grind and strongest setting, it didn't have as many settings as this new Breville Oracle one touch so I think it is a decent upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by simonr23 View Post
    Thanks and hi again
    Hi Simonr23

know it's been over a month since your post but yes, definitely get it replaced. It should be doing that at all.