Thread: Advice Opinions - Valexia or Pro800

Hi 3M,
    You wont regret it
    I agree with Gav. The Izzo IS Awesome! Very very happy with mine
    Cheers
    Dave
    Dimal and K1LL3M like this.

Hi guys.
    Here are a couple of video reviews for the Pro 800 and Izzo Leva. Izzo Leva is the model the Valexia replaced.
    https://youtu.be/MRi7CjkS9Uc
    https://youtu.be/yIUZCCrmyTQ
    K1LL3M likes this.

I'll leave it to the Aus Importer (2MCM) or an Aus Izzo retailer to comment on differences between Izzo Leva and Izzo Valexia so that I don't misrepresent a product I don't sell in any way.
    Cheers, Paul
    K Bean - Dream Machines
    trentski likes this.

Not required I don't think Paul. I understand that the OP has purchased his choice of machine from Antony.

Congrats to the OP (Paul).
    Good job on getting lots of info and making the right choice for you. You can't go wrong. I don't sell Izzo Valexia but I know they're great and I would be happy to own one
    Cheer, Paul
    K1LL3M likes this.

Yep, purchase made, thanks all. Now about this filtration stuff.. haha ...no seriously, do I really need need it?

Maybe I need to start another thread (or search for one) but I'm guessing from my brief reading last night the answer is yes and it looks like the Brita c150 purity is the required/recommend setup?
    Dimal and K_Bean_Coffee like this.

Hi Paul,

I like the Brita C150

Here's a great thread on filtration: Water filtering

Cheers, Paul
    K1LL3M likes this.

Hi 3M,
    Yes you definitely do need filtration
    Many of us (me included ) use a Brita C150 which works well
    I have plumbed mine in to use it as the fridge filter and taken a "T" off that line to the Leva
    Works well
    There is lots of information in this site previously on water filtration
    Cheers
    Dave
    Dimal, Magic_Matt and K1LL3M like this.

yep, definitely get a filtration system and the brita c150 is a great product.
    You have spend so much on a quality machine, so dont skimp out on a good filtration system for it.
    Small price to pay to keep you machine and yourself happy
    Casa Espresso likes this.

Hi Killem

congrats on the purchase and I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the machine once you have had a play.

just out of curiosity what grinder are you using with the machine?

Cheers

Alastair

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggers View Post
    Hi Killem

congrats on the purchase and I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the machine once you have had a play.

just out of curiosity what grinder are you using with the machine?

Cheers

Alastair

A grinder? Do I need a grinder too? Dam this is an expensive experience. Haha

Seriously though, I have a Mazzer Mini E I purchased last year because I hated the sunbeam grinder I had throwing coffee everywhere

And yeah will give some thoughts when it eventually gets it here. Thougj only as the average person who can no longer stand shit coffee and needs at least 2 before leaving home in the morning

So.... Has she turned up as yet ? The suspense is killing me

Me too. Did you go black or stick with shiny SS?

Not yet, had to get some ducks lined up first, but should be here next week....

Is just the polish stainless. Since it's just a powder coating I will evaluate that at a later date and get done locally of decided.

Keen for it to arrive now though (desperate may be a better description) ��

For me (at least)...

The all-over matt black coatings are very underwhelming.
    Combos that utilise original polished s/s with judicious use of matt black and perhaps some complimentary timber here and there, look a lot better I reckon...

Each to their own of course.

Mal.

Yep, I'm enjoying matt black right now for a change from wood, and 24ct gold ...but wood has real warmth.
    See this nice pic of Leva gear from site sponsor Leon @Wilcox
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    I'll leave it to the Aus Importer (2MCM) or an Aus Izzo retailer to comment on differences between Izzo Leva and Izzo Valexia so that I don't misrepresent a product I don't sell in any way.
    Cheers, Paul
    Identical internals and Leva.
    External aesthetic updated on Valexia to track changes to dual boiler machine.
    As I understand it.
    Magic_Matt and K_Bean_Coffee like this.

Thanks AlMac.
    These machines go head to head so this thread is a great one.
    The key is to do lots of reading, watch reviews then try them both out - if you can
    Cheers, Paul
    K Bean Dream Machines

Boy, that Brita water filter kit and the filters are expensive! I use a twin under sink kit from here which works great is excellent quality (around $200)

Sorry, just remembered the site rules about posting to external sites so I removed the link. Suffice to say there are plenty of other options that are heaps cheaper and every bit as good. In fact it looks like the Brits only does 10 microns. Easy to find cartridges that filter down to 0.5 microns.
    Last edited by wfdTamar; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:48 AM.

[QUOTE=wfdTamar;608713]Boy, that Brita water filter kit and the filters are expensive! I use a twin under sink kit from here which works great is excellent quality (around $200)

Most of those systems you have linked to here look like drop in type sediment filters.

These are a very, very different system from the Brita C series units that are specifically designed for coffee machines, have adjustable by pass filter heads and water softening agents.

At circa $229 for a Brita C50 with a pressure reduction valve included, I will leave it to the purchaser to decide which one is best for them....

Filtration Systems - Spare Parts and Servicing

Regards

Casa Espresso
    Casa Espresso - Home
    Dimal and Magic_Matt like this.

200 bucks to protect a ~$5,000 investment is hardly excessive.

Skimping on filtration is a bad idea unless you know exactly what you're buying imo. 🤔

At least one site sponsor does also sell another brand of filter that's designed for coffee machines and is cheaper than the Brita C150. I went for Brita as anyhow for ease of sourcing replacement filters.

They have two cartridges - one carbon (from coconuts) which can be had down to 0.5 microns so that's way better than the Brita 10 micron. Also a sediment one again down to 0.5 micron. You can get kits with more cartridges for filtering other stuff.

Frustratingly the Brita site is light on for a description of what is in their filters. It mentions activated carbon and shows a small amount in a diagram (about a quarter of the cartridge volume). Most of the filter is some unknown substance (for the sediment, chemical and TH?), but it doesn't say what it is. It could be similar to what the sediment filters above are? Found this on another site:

- 3 stage Brita Purity filter for effective sediment, chemical and TH reduction.
    - Blending valve on the head to adjust for softer and harder water areas.

Not sure what 'TH' is. The blending valve would be useful if your water is too hard or soft, but that looks to be the only thing that it has the others don't.

So I'm not convinced they are better than the other ones (if your water hardness is ok). In fact due to their being 10 micron, not as good (although they say 'up to 10 micron' which is weird, surely it should be 'down to'?).

PURITY Finest C | BRITA Professional

Gawd blimey - in googling I found a 14 stage filter! Starting at US$1600!

Stage 1 - Filtration - Five Micron Sediment Pre-Filter
    Stage 2 - Filtration - Internal Coconut Shell Carbon Filter
    Stage 3 - Purification - Reverse Osmosis Membrane
    Stage 4 - Purification - Mixed Bed De-Ionization System 1
    Stage 5 - Purification - Mixed Bed De-Ionization System 2
    Stage 6 - Holding Tank - standard tank holds about 3 gallons of pure water. Other tanks are available.
    Stage 7 - Sterilization - 14 Watt Ultraviolet Light
    Stages 8 & 9 - Restructuring - Homeopathic Memory, Molecule Coherence
    Stage 10 - Reprogramming - Adding Natural Mineral Properties
    Stage 11 - Reprogramming - Adding Natural Earth Properties
    Stage 12 - Reprogramming - Lowering Surface Tension
    Stage 13 & 14 - Remineralizing - Coconut Shell Carbon Post-Filtration and Alka-Min Ionic Remineralization

Ha ha TH is total hardness

Commercial link removed as per Site Posting policy

That page has a convincing argument for something other than the two cartridge type kit.

What you could do is have just the two cartridge holder and filters plumbed in line before the Brita. This would give you finer filtering and extend the life of the expensive Brita filter. That way you get the best features of both systems.
    Last edited by Javaphile; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:38 AM.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Hi guys,
    I'm a fan of the Brita C150. Pricey to start with but running costs are low. Cartridges are BIG and last a long time.
    K Bean - Brita C150
    Cheers, Paul

Well 12 months at $150 a pop. Just been gawking around eBay and there are decent triple cartridge kits there (sediment, carbon, hardness) for under $150 - and the total filter mass is 3 times the Brita. So the only advantage the Brita has over those is the adjustable hardness, but once you measure your water hardness and get the appropriate cartridge you wouldn't need adjustability. So all the Brita has is a brand name. No sale Jose :-)

[QUOTE=wfdTamar;608722]Well 12 months at $150 a pop. Just been gawking around eBay and there are decent triple cartridge kits there (sediment, carbon, hardness) for under $150

I have the Brita purity finest c150, and agree with K-Bean, running costs are low. They last longer than 12 months, its how much water goes thru, so with the amount of water I use for one coffee plus machine maintenance, a filter will last me about two years. The filter then would be costing me about five cents a day, pretty cheap machine insurance .

So I have had a week or so to play with new machine. And it's​ brilliant. Glad I went with the Izzo rather than the Profitec even if the plumbing at the moment is an absolute PIA.

I got a WeMo timer to turn it on automatically and remotely which mostly alleviates the warm up time. The "I think I feel like a coffee" does still have to wait though.

The Leva side of things is brilliant. Far from being more difficult, I would say it's easier than the Breville/Sunbeam machines to both get a great coffee and keep the thing clean. And the process of making the coffee with the lever is enjoyable
    Dr_Dave, Casa Espresso and 338 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wfdTamar View Post
    Well 12 months at $150 a pop. Just been gawking around eBay and there are decent triple cartridge kits there (sediment, carbon, hardness) for under $150 - and the total filter mass is 3 times the Brita. So the only advantage the Brita has over those is the adjustable hardness, but once you measure your water hardness and get the appropriate cartridge you wouldn't need adjustability. So all the Brita has is a brand name. No sale Jose :-)
    We use Brita in most of our commercial accounts. Brita or Evipure are the industry standards in commercial applications. Carry that across to a domestic situation and you are on the right track.

We would change a C150 every 6 months in a commercial application, so really a C50 (or Evipure equivalent ) should last 12 months in a domestic environment. The only difference apart from the size between the C50 and C150 is the amount of water that can run through their rated life. In fact the C50 is IMO better for home use as it is just a bit smaller then the 150 and will fit under most kitchen benches.

A C50 replacement filter is under $100, every 12 months, its a small investment.

Cheers

Antony
    Casa Espresso - Home
    Dimal and Magic_Matt like this.

[QUOTE=Logga;608724]
    Well 12 months at $150 a pop. Just been gawking around eBay and there are decent triple cartridge kits there (sediment, carbon, hardness) for under $150

I have the Brita purity finest c150, and agree with K-Bean, running costs are low. They last longer than 12 months, its how much water goes thru, so with the amount of water I use for one coffee plus machine maintenance, a filter will last me about two years. The filter then would be costing me about five cents a day, pretty cheap machine insurance .
    If I remember correctly, the filter will need to replaced after 12 months of use regardless of how much water goes through it.

Should also add a public thanks to Antony at Casa Espresso for the help with the purchase, all the questions and the photos requests. I am sure at some time he must of wondered if the sale was really worth it.

No not really. Antony would be too much of a gentleman to think such things.

In all seriousness though, thanks Antony, much appreciated.

[QUOTE=sacsnob;608729]
    Quote Originally Posted by Logga View Post

If I remember correctly, the filter will need to replaced after 12 months of use regardless of how much water goes through it.
    Yes 12 month replacement is really the go tied in with your 12 month group head service.

Its another argument why, in a domestic environment, the C150 (as opposed to C50) is a bit of overkill

Cheers

Antony
    Casa Espresso - Home

Quote Originally Posted by K1LL3M View Post
    Should also add a public thanks to Antony at Casa Espresso for the help with the purchase, all the questions and the photos requests. I am sure at some time he must of wondered if the sale was really worth it.

No not really. Antony would be too much of a gentleman to think such things.

In all seriousness though, thanks Antony, much appreciated.
    Very kind words.

Thank you sir, I dip my hat to you

Antony
    K1LL3M likes this.

[QUOTE=sacsnob;608729]
    Quote Originally Posted by Logga View Post

Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by sacsnob View Post
    Why is that?
    I would expect 3 yrs for Melbourne,
    1 Yr for Adelaide, approx .... maybe that's wrong????

Well...

The Cxxx Finest does more than just soften the water. It also buffers the pH level to maintain a constant pH output, as well as that, eventually, the carbon element becomes exhausted as will the particulate filter element...

It's all probably a "How long is a piece of string?" sort of argument regarding how long it will take for the filter to require replacement. Unless you have access to suitable, reliable test equipment, then changing out every 12 months seems like cheap insurance to me...

Mal.

Thanks Mal.
    How long is a piece of string seems to be the qn. I'm going to go with 24 months. Someone told me Melb water is the 3rd best in the world. Not sure if thats true but I know it's good.
    JT
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by coffe4me2 View Post
    Thanks Mal.
    How long is a piece of string seems to be the qn. I'm going to go with 24 months. Someone told me Melb water is the 3rd best in the world. Not sure if thats true but I know it's good.
    JT
    I was told that overtime bacteria can grow inside the carbon filter which makes it necessary to replace it every 12 months.

I was told that overtime bacteria can grow inside the carbon filter which makes it necessary to replace it every 12 months.
    Yes. That makes sense. As said by others above, 12 monthly replacement is cheap insurance for your Dream Machine

Actually, the use of effective water softening agents/equipment reduces the proliferation of microbes such as bacteria....

Mal.

True Mal, but in my old lab I had a system running a 50um filter, a 10um filter, a DI tank, a carbon filter and a 5um filter to finish off. I still got bacteria growth on the carbon filter and had to replace it every 6 months.

When my current C150 filter gets to 12 months I'll dissect it.

Cheers, Paul
    Dimal likes this.

See, I'm used to talking on OzBargain where people want the best equipment at the lowest price. I suspect here we have people being blinded by the marketing phrase 'designed for espresso machines' and also others that sell the Brita (quite understandably) pushing it over an alternative that may be at least as as good, certainly cheaper and actually better than the Brita (given the fineness of its filtering over the Brita and far cheaper & bigger filters).

Another problem I foresee with the Brita is it uses proprietary cartridges so when Brita dump that design (which they regularly do with their retail jug filters) you have to buy a whole new kit. Hopefully filters would still be available for the working life of the kit.

Sorry, I realise there is a more apt thread for this discussion. Doesn't matter anyway, coffee snobs are well used to paying over the odds for equipment. :-)

See, I'm used to talking on OzBargain where people want the best equipment at the lowest price.
    Yep, beat equipment, best price AND best service - the whole lot.

See, I'm used to talking on OzBargain where people want the best equipment at the lowest price. I suspect here we have people being blinded by the marketing phrase 'designed for espresso machines' and also others that sell the Brita (quite understandably) pushing it over an alternative that may be at least as as good, certainly cheaper and actually better than the Brita (given the fineness of its filtering over the Brita and far cheaper & bigger filters).

Another problem I foresee with the Brita is it uses proprietary cartridges so when Brita dump that design (which they regularly do with their retail jug filters) you have to buy a whole new kit. Hopefully filters would still be available for the working life of the kit.

Sorry, I realise there is a more apt thread for this discussion. Doesn't matter anyway, coffee snobs are well used to paying over the odds for equipment. :-)
    "May be" is a key phrase there. 🤔

Advice Opinions - Valexia or Pro800

[QUOTE=Logga;608738]
    Why is that?
    Hygiene.

I run a 3m HF15 system which is similar to the C150.

Each cartridge can handle far more throughput than a domestic user will put through it, but they are very clear that you should replace the cartridge after a year regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    True Mal, but in my old lab I had a system running a 50um filter, a 10um filter, a DI tank, a carbon filter and a 5um filter to finish off. I still got bacteria growth on the carbon filter and had to replace it every 6 months.

When my current C150 filter gets to 12 months I'll dissect it.

Cheers, Paul
    Yep, get that...
    Why I used "reduce" rather than "eliminate"...

Mal.
    K_Bean_Coffee likes this.

Speaking of c150 finest, do people know if this is also ok for drinking water. I took a line off mine to a filtered water tap about 6 mnths ago. I can always taste a slight thin bitterness in the water compared to unfiltered.
    I am now due for a replacement cartridge and wondering if there is somthing better suited to both drinking and coffee machine water, or wether I should stick with the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sink_cut View Post
    Speaking of c150 finest, do people know if this is also ok for drinking water.
    Hi mate.
    I drink from it and get very pure clean tasting water.
    JT
    Dimal, matth3wh and K_Bean_Coffee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by coffe4me2 View Post
    Hi mate.
    I drink from it and get very pure clean tasting water.
    JT
    Ditto...
    Beautiful sweet water here too.

Mal.
    matth3wh and K_Bean_Coffee like this.

Good to hear. My filtered water is not bad by any means, and it is actually softer and sweeter than tap water too. I can just taste somthing extra in the aftertaste - a slight bitterness that is not in the normal tap water. I am sure it's nothing to worry about. My filter is now13 months old. So time for a new one anyway.
    Dimal, matth3wh and K_Bean_Coffee like this.

If you're in Melbourne visit Pomegranate Coffee Bar, 265b Bluff Road, Sandringham.

They are using a Profitec Pro 800.

See it in action and I'm sure Nik will even let you try it out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2