• 1 Post By bowser
  • 1 Post By Stu76
  • 2 Post By bowser
  • 2 Post By kofekitt
  • 2 Post By LeroyC
  • 2 Post By bowser

Thread: ECM Sync cleaning

ECM Sync cleaning

In the manual is only states to put a tablet in the blind PF and flush it through a couple of times, is that all I need to do for maintenance?

my machine seems to be producing less water flow than normal, is plumbed into mains supply via a filter which also supplies the fridge water thing. The flow from the fridge seems to have not changed suggesting the filter isn't blocked

How old is your machine?
    Have you had it serviced at all.
    If you are in Melbourne you are welcome to. Ring it to us for a once over

Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    How old is your machine?
    Have you had it serviced at all.
    If you are in Melbourne you are welcome to. Ring it to us for a once over

appreciate the offer, in central west NSW, no where close besides Dubbo/Bathurst to get someone to look at it

Of course!
    How old is the machine?
    There are certain cleaning schedules and service requirements required for all machines.
    I am hoping your seller gave you some instruction.
    Slow flow could be due to coffee build up behind the shower screen or perhaps scale build up inside the machine.
    Age and general maintanance to date will help give an idea of what it could be

August 2016 it was bought new

Has it been serviced?

not apart from cleaning tabs as per the manual

Almost twelve months. Due for a group head service. New seal, shower screen and lever service. I would contact your retailer to arrange a service
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Who do you guys recommend to service the machine in Sydney?

I have a feeling it is something more than just requiring a service. I cleaned it again with the powder stuff tonight, changed the water filter to a new one and flow still seems low. Changed to the inbuilt tank and same thing.
    I seem to have lost the ability to do pre infusion with line pressure too.

If anyone has one of these machines, can you measure your flow for me? mine takes 16 seconds to flow 30ml with an empty PF
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Hi Bowser,

I brought my machine from Jetblack Espresso and have also serviced it there. No fuss service with good work performed and all works fine.

Whoever you go with, suggest someone reputable like one of the site sponsors.

Cheers.
    Dimal, Magic_Matt, kbc and 1 others like this.

Do you have one in stock you could do a simple flow test on for 30ml Paul?

Di Bartoli are also in Sydney and are another option for providing excellent professional service...
    Espresso machine service centre

Mal.
    Brewster likes this.

+1 for Di Bartoli. Great people, great service. Whenever I visit that business, I always leave happy, knowing that the return trip from Maitland (4+ hrs) was well worth it

Cheers
    Mal
    kbc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bowser View Post
    If anyone has one of these machines, can you measure your flow for me? mine takes 16 seconds to flow 30ml with an empty PF
    Is that running off the tank? On my machine (plumbed) I get 30ml in about six seconds, with an empty basket in a naked pf.

E-61 stripdown is pretty straightforward, so you could check for anything obviously restricting the flow there and change the seals while you're at it.

that was plumbed in flow rate.

Anyone know how the water flows through the machine? I'm thinking I have a blockage somewhere given the pre infusion no longer works and that doesn't use the pump
    Magic_Matt likes this.

I've just had a similar issue with my Technika. I spoke to Renzo at Di Bartoli who went through a few simple checks, in the end advised to descale and popped a bottle of descaler in the post. Took less than 10 secs on the first descale flush to clear the blockage. I hope your issue clears up just as easily.
    Brewster likes this.

I had a play with it in the shed today, took the back and sides off to get a closer look at the water circuit for potential blockages.

Removed the line to the pump and blew it out with compressed air, then the line from the pump to the solenoid, the the lines to each boiler, then the line to the steam wand, then the line to the group head, the fully disassembled the group head, cleaned it and greased it. Removed the screen and the little thing under it with the 2 small holes, blew them out also. I didn't do all the lines as I didn't want to remove the boilers so the lines from the bottom of the boilers didn't get cleaned.

Over all there was bugger all scale in any of the lines. I was really surprised how clean they were given the 12 months of daily use.

Not confident it was fixed (as I didn't really find anything concerning) I reassembled it and plumbed it back in and turned it one, still no pre infusion flow and 30ml in 16 seconds same as before.

I don't think it is a pump or motor issue as pump pressure is still getting up to 10 bar, slightly higher than what it normally does with coffee in the PF, it normally gets that high when the blind PF is fitted and doing a clean suggesting a blockage or partial blockage somewhere after the pump.

Before I box it up and send it to a someone to inspect i was thinking of doing a full system descale using the inbuilt tank to pump descale solution right through the pump, boilers and all lines. Is this a good idea?

Sorted, thanks to the help of a forum member who steered me in the right direction, much appreciated.

found the jet in the top mushroom bit blocked up. I pulled this out yesterday but didn't strip it this far.

What it now looks like, water flow is so much better, 30ml in about 4 seconds

Dimal and Magic_Matt like this.

Wooohooo , glad to be of service... :-) Hopefully you tried that option before my other suggestion ? (checking the water valve mesh filter) ?

Quote Originally Posted by kofekitt View Post
    Wooohooo , glad to be of service... :-) Hopefully you tried that option before my other suggestion ? (checking the water valve mesh filter) ?

yeah didn't bother with the other one after I found this. It was easier to get to. Thanks again

The mushroom valve should always be the first thing that gets checked if you suspect there's a blockage. If there's scale present this is where you'll see it most easily. If the group head is clean then your problem is elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    The mushroom valve should always be the first thing that gets checked if you suspect there's a blockage. If there's scale present this is where you'll see it most easily. If the group head is clean then your problem is elsewhere.
    True, but with the ECM machines it can be a little less obvious how to get to it, they don't have the usual 22mm nut on top of the mushroom, instead you have to separate the two halves of the mushroom using the upper 36mm nut and the lower half which has 19mm flats machined into it
    Magic_Matt and LeroyC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kofekitt View Post
    True, but with the ECM machines it can be a little less obvious how to get to it, they don't have the usual 22mm nut on top of the mushroom, instead you have to separate the two halves of the mushroom using the upper 36mm nut and the lower half which has 19mm flats machined into it
    Good info for ECM owners. I'm sure it's still easier than disassembling other parts of the machine, so it's handy to know what to look for.

Can I just clarify where exactly this valve is located? I dont seem to recognise it (though, that might be because I have never stripped my technika apart)

Quote Originally Posted by bowser View Post
    Sorted, thanks to the help of a forum member who steered me in the right direction, much appreciated.

found the jet in the top mushroom bit blocked up. I pulled this out yesterday but didn't strip it this far.

What it now looks like, water flow is so much better, 30ml in about 4 seconds

This screws into the top of the group head, the main nut is 36mm and the machined flats can be seen on the valve body. Seperate these and the little Jet and screen is inside