• 1 Post By Dimal
  • 2 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By Jono_Willmer
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 3 Post By Casa Espresso

Thread: Alex Duetto IV

Alex Duetto IV

So here it is.

The latest Alex Duetto IV from Gruppo Izzo.

A natural progression and development from the previous model dressed in the traditional "Alex " body styling

The immediate visual difference is the lower drip tray and recessed cup tray. The other external change is the extra spacing between the body work and the steam/hot water outlets.

Other technical features are
    - New PID controller with shot timer
    - Stainless steel Gileur
    - Externally adjustable pump pressure
    - Stainless steel boilers and solenoid valve

Initial orders will come from August production in Italy.

Open to comment and questions....

Regards

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Attached Images Attached Images
    coffeechris, Dimal and madaxle like this.

Hi Antony,

Looks like one sexy machine. Any dimension details, steam and boiler sizes, does it have no burn steam and not water wands.

Also what's your perfect grinder to pair with this beauty.

Quanto costa?

Hey Antony, what are the dots behind the water wand - are they lights?

Nice! The shot counter would be a handy addition.

The lights are the steam and brew boiler element "on" lights, they do a nice disco show as the PID does its thing. My version II has no burn wands so would guess this does too?

What is the idea behind the extra clearance to the body for the wands? Havent had any issues with the Duetto II.

Have they upgraded the brew and boiler pressure gauges (cant tell on the pic)?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by madaxle View Post
    Hi Antony,

Looks like one sexy machine. Any dimension details, steam and boiler sizes, does it have no burn steam and not water wands.

Also what's your perfect grinder to pair with this beauty.
    Hi Madaxle,

Boiler sizes are 1.5L for steam 0.8 for the brew boiler, both fully insulated stainless steel.

Yes both the steam and hot water are "cool touch/no burn".

The $64,000 grinder question. I certainly like the ATOM, but I reckon the Eureka Zenith with a short hopper option would be a match made in heaven
    https://www.casaespresso.com.au/eureka-zenith-65e.html
    You could go further with an Olympus or Mythos 1 grinder if you had the extra cash to spend

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    coffeechris and madaxle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    Quanto costa?
    Ciao Herzog

Costa 615,000 lira

or about A$4790

https://www.casaespresso.com.au/izzo...o-iv-plus.html

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    madaxle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Hey Antony, what are the dots behind the water wand - are they lights?

They indicate operation of the steam and or brew boiler (as Artman has observed)

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Nice! The shot counter would be a handy addition.

The lights are the steam and brew boiler element "on" lights, they do a nice disco show as the PID does its thing. My version II has no burn wands so would guess this does too?

What is the idea behind the extra clearance to the body for the wands? Havent had any issues with the Duetto II.

Have they upgraded the brew and boiler pressure gauges (cant tell on the pic)?

Cheers
    Yes still has the no burn steam and hot water wands.

The extra clearance is to give a bit more space between the body and milk jug, potentially reducing scratching of the body.

Small, smart changes

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal and madaxle like this.

Extra clearance is a good idea, although I steam off to the side of the tray.

Cheers

Like the look in every way and yes the added height is ideal.

TBH I have never found had the group height to be an issue. Probably helped by me using a naked PF?

Good to see the incremental improvements.

Cheers

do you think this machine is worth the extra $$$ over the ECM Sync or Profitec 700? If so what are the reasons for the higher price...is it some feature or the quality of the parts or build. Keen to get people's view here (yes i understand that this hasnt even landed so sort of hoping there could be some logic behind this).

TBH I have never found had the group height to be an issue. Probably helped by me using a naked PF?

Cheers
    I have always looked at buying one of these and without having used one i dont think it would have bothered me either. That aside i think it may have been an issue for my SO. As for appearance, I said this to Antony when speaking to him about these. I dont really know what i mean when i say traditional, but i feel these have always stayed looking traditional in my mind and in terms of coffee machines. Beautiful looking machine.

Chris
    Casa Espresso and magnafunk like this.

do you think this machine is worth the extra $$$ over the ECM Sync or Profitec 700? If so what are the reasons for the higher price...is it some feature or the quality of the parts or build. Keen to get people's view here (yes i understand that this hasnt even landed so sort of hoping there could be some logic behind this).
    Having not had either of these machines, but looking in this price range for something soon. I can give you my opinion on why i might choose one over another. Firstly i would say at this price range a machine would have pretty much everything you would expect a coffee machine to have at this price range(if that makes sense). I feel it comes down to what you like. Ive always loved the Alex range and ive always wanted one, then i saw the ECM and PRofitec come along and make me look more seriously at all of them. The bottom line for me they are all very similar to what they offer. Its their appearance which decides it for me in the end. As much as the new Alex shown above is more expensive I would go with it for its looks over the ECM and Proftec. Its only a personal choice...

Chris
    magnafunk and 338 like this.

Agree re looks and that being a personal choice. As you get into this price range they are all great machines. It's the little styling details that differ that you may or may not like and influence your sway. Often these only become apparent on a personal detailed inspection.

Are the pressure gauges the same as the previous iterations?

Cheers

Hi Mad Axle,

Yes its probably going to be at the top of the pricing list when comparing it to others.

As a comparison on RRP you have:
    Pro 700 $4290
    R58 $4400
    ECM $4550
    Alex $4799

So on RRP you are between $250 to $500 more across the four machines. I think the Alex has advantages over two of these, the third is a weigh up of looks and individual choice.

At this price point they are all great machines

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeechris View Post
    I have always looked at buying one of these and without having used one i dont think it would have bothered me either. That aside i think it may have been an issue for my SO. As for appearance, I said this to Antony when speaking to him about these. I dont really know what i mean when i say traditional, but i feel these have always stayed looking traditional in my mind and in terms of coffee machines. Beautiful looking machine.

Chris
    I certainly think they have hit a bulls eye with the styling. The changes to the drip tray and the cup warmer have given the machine a really nice balance.

Talking to Chris last night and trying to come up with a word to describe the look of the machine I certainly thought the machine had a nice masculine look about it, but thinking about it again maybe this was the wrong word.

The machine has a "presence " about it, that's probably the best way to describe the look.

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    coffeechris likes this.

Agree re looks and that being a personal choice. As you get into this price range they are all great machines. It's the little styling details that differ that you may or may not like and influence your sway. Often these only become apparent on a personal detailed inspection.

Are the pressure gauges the same as the previous iterations?

Cheers
    yes Artman,

Same gauges from the Alex Duetto and Valexia

Antony

Cheers
    In reality the height of the drip tray was not an issue for most, and when using a naked group handle even less so.

The new version gets 2.5cm of cup clearance which is fairly significant, as well as giving the machine a more balanced look

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    I think the Alex has advantages over two of these, the third is a weigh up of looks and individual choice.
    Hey Antony, would be interested to hear more details on the advantages over the others?

Do you know whether the Alex Leva will be released with the same body updates? TBH the drip tray height was a bit of a stumbling block (heh heh) for me when I was weighing it up... An 'Alex IV Leva' could just be the perfect next step for me if/when I finally get tired of the DB. 🤔
    Last edited by Magic_Matt; 13th July 2017 at 01:54 PM.

Haha, fair enough... all awesome machines no doubt, just interesting to get into the details as there's not much between them on paper - but of course spec sheets rarely tell the full story! 😉
    kbc likes this.

Like you Matt the height was a question for me also. Well not so much me but my partner, still as i said when i spoke to Antony if you are paying that much you want to get something where you dont have to make a work around for it. Turning the drip tray upside down isn't one i would want to do paying that much. I have to say im liking what i have heard about it from Antony. Once again the Leva in these interest me, but my partner, she wouldn't want a bar of it..

A couple more views from different angles would be great
    Magic_Matt and kbc like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Hey Antony, would be interested to hear more details on the advantages over the others?

Do you know whether the Alex Leva will be released with the same body updates? TBH the drip tray height was a bit of a stumbling block (heh heh) for me when I was weighing it up... An 'Alex IV Leva' could just be the perfect next step for me if/when I finally get tired of the DB.
    That question has already entered my mind about the Alex Leva. Nothing we have been told but if there was to be CS would be the first to know !
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Here is a bit of a side by side showing the difference in group head clearance

Having not seen the superseded Alex for sometime now i must say with out jumping the gun they have hit the nail on the head not with just the extra clearance but also the drip tray now looks more inline/smooth/suited with the rest of the body. I always felt the drip try "stood out" (hesitant to say too much) more than the rest of the machine. Not so bulky

I like it.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

More teasing , yes it's a rendering but shows the position to externally adjust the pump pressure. Motor is inverted with the pump at the bottom, no need to remove anything to adjust the pump pressure

Antony
    Casa Espresso
    Www.casaespresso.com.au

Another benefit is that if there is a leak at the pump head it will not drop down into the motor.

Pity the gauges haven't been upgraded. They work fine but the plastic needles look "cheap" on an otherwise top class machine (maybe it's just me and my eye for detail and things mechanical).

Cheers

Another benefit is that if there is a leak at the pump head it will not drop down into the motor.

Pity the gauges haven't been upgraded. They work fine but the plastic needles look "cheap" on an otherwise top class machine (maybe it's just me and my eye for detail and things mechanical).

Cheers
    Which version do you have Artman? This version the IV plus and the IV both have the same style gauges with the Alex branding. I think they look quite good with the distinctive branding rather then the off the shelf units used by a lot of other manufacturers.
    It is all useful feedback though and information we do relay back to Italy.

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    Www.casaespresso.com.au

More teasing , yes it's a rendering but shows the position to externally adjust the pump pressure. Motor is inverted with the pump at the bottom, no need to remove anything to adjust the pump pressure

Antony
    Casa Espresso
    Www.casaespresso.com.au
    Always the little things that count...

Mal.
    Casa Espresso likes this.

Which version do you have Artman? This version the IV plus and the IV both have the same style gauges with the Alex branding. I think they look quite good with the distinctive branding rather then the off the shelf units used by a lot of other manufacturers.
    It is all useful feedback though and information we do relay back to Italy.

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    Www.casaespresso.com.au
    Hi Antony

Mine is the II, on closer inspection of the pic above the gauges are different. Mine are like this:

Alex II gauges.JPG

(Sorry for the sideways pic, damn it!!!)

The other thing that looks like has been addressed is the vinyl sticker on the front panel above the taps (end just visible in my pic) showing direction of the on/off for the taps (why are they needed anyway when they work like house taps?...).

The rounded side panels with the filled in tops looks classy (i think this came out on the III?).

Cheers
    Last edited by artman; 14th July 2017 at 11:42 PM. Reason: sodeways pic comment, noooooo!!!

The first pre order of the new Alex Duetto was placed by a CS member today.

Congratulations .... Look forward to your review when it lands in October

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    coffeechris and Dimal like this.

Foz
    Hi Antony,

What is the power consumption of each boiler?

Is that a good measure of each boilers ability to produce steam pressure or recover quickly after pulling a shot?

-Foz

The extra height is a great idea, if you use scales and large cups things get a little tight with the older variations. Great, reliable and thoroughly enjoyable machines.

Hi Antony

Mine is the II, on closer inspection of the pic above the gauges are different. Mine are like this:

Alex II gauges.JPG

(Sorry for the sideways pic, damn it!!!)

The other thing that looks like has been addressed is the vinyl sticker on the front panel above the taps (end just visible in my pic) showing direction of the on/off for the taps (why are they needed anyway when they work like house taps?...).

The rounded side panels with the filled in tops looks classy (i think this came out on the III?).

Cheers
    I can't believe you still have those stickers on, mine lasted about a week before they feel off ha ha.
    artman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    Hi Antony,

What is the power consumption of each boiler?

Is that a good measure of each boilers ability to produce steam pressure or recover quickly after pulling a shot?

-Foz
    Hi Foz

The steam boiler is 1.8L with a 1000W element

Brew boiler is .8L 1000W.

The machine has the option of giving priority to the brew boiler only when heating to reduce power use.

Cheers

Antony

www.casaespresso.com.au
    Last edited by Casa Espresso; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:21 PM.
    coffeechris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post

Generally:

Boiler volume gives sustained steam pressure

Boiler element wattage drives rebound time (and initial heat up)

Update on Alex Duetto Plus.

First stock is expected landed in Australia 1st week of October (only three weeks).

The A$ / Euro exchange rate has been a little bit kinder to us the last few months so we have been able to adjust the pricing slightly.

All of the first stock are also coming with a standard naked group handle in addition to the Izzo tamper and various steam tips.

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal, Magic_Matt and noonar like this.