Results 1 to 38 of 38
Like Tree37Likes
  • 3 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 2 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 2 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 2 Post By coffeechris
  • 2 Post By coffeechris
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By Magic_Matt
  • 2 Post By coffeechris
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 6 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By coffeechris
  • 3 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 2 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By Jono_Willmer
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 3 Post By Casa Espresso

Thread: Alex Duetto IV

  1. #1
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    471

    Alex Duetto IV

    So here it is.

    The latest Alex Duetto IV from Gruppo Izzo.

    A natural progression and development from the previous model dressed in the traditional "Alex " body styling

    The immediate visual difference is the lower drip tray and recessed cup tray. The other external change is the extra spacing between the body work and the steam/hot water outlets.

    Other technical features are
    - New PID controller with shot timer
    - Stainless steel Gileur
    - Externally adjustable pump pressure
    - Stainless steel boilers and solenoid valve

    Initial orders will come from August production in Italy.

    Open to comment and questions....

    Regards

    Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Attached Images Attached Images
    coffeechris, Dimal and madaxle like this.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    76
    Hi Antony,

    Looks like one sexy machine. Any dimension details, steam and boiler sizes, does it have no burn steam and not water wands.

    Also what's your perfect grinder to pair with this beauty.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    319
    Quanto costa?

  4. #4
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,071
    Hey Antony, what are the dots behind the water wand - are they lights?

  5. #5
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,009
    Nice! The shot counter would be a handy addition.

    The lights are the steam and brew boiler element "on" lights, they do a nice disco show as the PID does its thing. My version II has no burn wands so would guess this does too?

    What is the idea behind the extra clearance to the body for the wands? Havent had any issues with the Duetto II.

    Have they upgraded the brew and boiler pressure gauges (cant tell on the pic)?

    Cheers

  6. #6
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by madaxle View Post
    Hi Antony,

    Looks like one sexy machine. Any dimension details, steam and boiler sizes, does it have no burn steam and not water wands.

    Also what's your perfect grinder to pair with this beauty.
    Hi Madaxle,

    Boiler sizes are 1.5L for steam 0.8 for the brew boiler, both fully insulated stainless steel.

    Yes both the steam and hot water are "cool touch/no burn".

    The $64,000 grinder question. I certainly like the ATOM, but I reckon the Eureka Zenith with a short hopper option would be a match made in heaven
    https://www.casaespresso.com.au/eureka-zenith-65e.html
    You could go further with an Olympus or Mythos 1 grinder if you had the extra cash to spend

    Cheers

    Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    coffeechris and madaxle like this.

  7. #7
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    Quanto costa?
    Ciao Herzog

    Costa 615,000 lira

    or about A$4790

    https://www.casaespresso.com.au/izzo...o-iv-plus.html

    Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    madaxle likes this.

  8. #8
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Hey Antony, what are the dots behind the water wand - are they lights?

    They indicate operation of the steam and or brew boiler (as Artman has observed)

    Cheers

    Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au

  9. #9
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Nice! The shot counter would be a handy addition.

    The lights are the steam and brew boiler element "on" lights, they do a nice disco show as the PID does its thing. My version II has no burn wands so would guess this does too?

    What is the idea behind the extra clearance to the body for the wands? Havent had any issues with the Duetto II.

    Have they upgraded the brew and boiler pressure gauges (cant tell on the pic)?

    Cheers
    Yes still has the no burn steam and hot water wands.

    The extra clearance is to give a bit more space between the body and milk jug, potentially reducing scratching of the body.

    Small, smart changes

    Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal and madaxle like this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,009
    Extra clearance is a good idea, although I steam off to the side of the tray.

    Cheers

  11. #11
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    628
    Like the look in every way and yes the added height is ideal.

  12. #12
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,009
    TBH I have never found had the group height to be an issue. Probably helped by me using a naked PF?

    Good to see the incremental improvements.

    Cheers

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    76
    do you think this machine is worth the extra $$$ over the ECM Sync or Profitec 700? If so what are the reasons for the higher price...is it some feature or the quality of the parts or build. Keen to get people's view here (yes i understand that this hasnt even landed so sort of hoping there could be some logic behind this).

  14. #14
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    TBH I have never found had the group height to be an issue. Probably helped by me using a naked PF?

    Good to see the incremental improvements.
    Cheers
    I have always looked at buying one of these and without having used one i dont think it would have bothered me either. That aside i think it may have been an issue for my SO. As for appearance, I said this to Antony when speaking to him about these. I dont really know what i mean when i say traditional, but i feel these have always stayed looking traditional in my mind and in terms of coffee machines. Beautiful looking machine.

    Chris
    Casa Espresso and magnafunk like this.

  15. #15
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by madaxle View Post
    do you think this machine is worth the extra $$$ over the ECM Sync or Profitec 700? If so what are the reasons for the higher price...is it some feature or the quality of the parts or build. Keen to get people's view here (yes i understand that this hasnt even landed so sort of hoping there could be some logic behind this).
    Having not had either of these machines, but looking in this price range for something soon. I can give you my opinion on why i might choose one over another. Firstly i would say at this price range a machine would have pretty much everything you would expect a coffee machine to have at this price range(if that makes sense). I feel it comes down to what you like. Ive always loved the Alex range and ive always wanted one, then i saw the ECM and PRofitec come along and make me look more seriously at all of them. The bottom line for me they are all very similar to what they offer. Its their appearance which decides it for me in the end. As much as the new Alex shown above is more expensive I would go with it for its looks over the ECM and Proftec. Its only a personal choice...

    Chris
    magnafunk and 338 like this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,009
    Agree re looks and that being a personal choice. As you get into this price range they are all great machines. It's the little styling details that differ that you may or may not like and influence your sway. Often these only become apparent on a personal detailed inspection.

    Are the pressure gauges the same as the previous iterations?

    Cheers

  17. #17
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by madaxle View Post
    do you think this machine is worth the extra $$$ over the ECM Sync or Profitec 700? If so what are the reasons for the higher price...is it some feature or the quality of the parts or build. Keen to get people's view here (yes i understand that this hasnt even landed so sort of hoping there could be some logic behind this).
    Hi Mad Axle,

    Yes its probably going to be at the top of the pricing list when comparing it to others.

    As a comparison on RRP you have:
    Pro 700 $4290
    R58 $4400
    ECM $4550
    Alex $4799

    So on RRP you are between $250 to $500 more across the four machines. I think the Alex has advantages over two of these, the third is a weigh up of looks and individual choice.

    At this price point they are all great machines

    Cheers

    Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal likes this.

  18. #18
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeechris View Post
    I have always looked at buying one of these and without having used one i dont think it would have bothered me either. That aside i think it may have been an issue for my SO. As for appearance, I said this to Antony when speaking to him about these. I dont really know what i mean when i say traditional, but i feel these have always stayed looking traditional in my mind and in terms of coffee machines. Beautiful looking machine.

    Chris
    I certainly think they have hit a bulls eye with the styling. The changes to the drip tray and the cup warmer have given the machine a really nice balance.

    Talking to Chris last night and trying to come up with a word to describe the look of the machine I certainly thought the machine had a nice masculine look about it, but thinking about it again maybe this was the wrong word.

    The machine has a "presence " about it, that's probably the best way to describe the look.

    Cheers

    Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    coffeechris likes this.

  19. #19
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Agree re looks and that being a personal choice. As you get into this price range they are all great machines. It's the little styling details that differ that you may or may not like and influence your sway. Often these only become apparent on a personal detailed inspection.

    Are the pressure gauges the same as the previous iterations?

    Cheers
    yes Artman,

    Same gauges from the Alex Duetto and Valexia

    Antony

  20. #20
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    TBH I have never found had the group height to be an issue. Probably helped by me using a naked PF?

    Good to see the incremental improvements.

    Cheers
    In reality the height of the drip tray was not an issue for most, and when using a naked group handle even less so.

    The new version gets 2.5cm of cup clearance which is fairly significant, as well as giving the machine a more balanced look

    Cheers

    Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    I think the Alex has advantages over two of these, the third is a weigh up of looks and individual choice.
    Hey Antony, would be interested to hear more details on the advantages over the others?

    Do you know whether the Alex Leva will be released with the same body updates? TBH the drip tray height was a bit of a stumbling block (heh heh) for me when I was weighing it up... An 'Alex IV Leva' could just be the perfect next step for me if/when I finally get tired of the DB. 🤔
    Last edited by Magic_Matt; 13th July 2017 at 01:54 PM.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,280
    Haha, fair enough... all awesome machines no doubt, just interesting to get into the details as there's not much between them on paper - but of course spec sheets rarely tell the full story! 😉
    kbc likes this.

  23. #23
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    628
    Like you Matt the height was a question for me also. Well not so much me but my partner, still as i said when i spoke to Antony if you are paying that much you want to get something where you dont have to make a work around for it. Turning the drip tray upside down isn't one i would want to do paying that much. I have to say im liking what i have heard about it from Antony. Once again the Leva in these interest me, but my partner, she wouldn't want a bar of it..

    A couple more views from different angles would be great
    Magic_Matt and kbc like this.

  24. #24
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Hey Antony, would be interested to hear more details on the advantages over the others?

    Do you know whether the Alex Leva will be released with the same body updates? TBH the drip tray height was a bit of a stumbling block (heh heh) for me when I was weighing it up... An 'Alex IV Leva' could just be the perfect next step for me if/when I finally get tired of the DB.
    That question has already entered my mind about the Alex Leva. Nothing we have been told but if there was to be CS would be the first to know !
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  25. #25
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    471


    Here is a bit of a side by side showing the difference in group head clearance

  26. #26
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    628
    Having not seen the superseded Alex for sometime now i must say with out jumping the gun they have hit the nail on the head not with just the extra clearance but also the drip tray now looks more inline/smooth/suited with the rest of the body. I always felt the drip try "stood out" (hesitant to say too much) more than the rest of the machine. Not so bulky

    I like it.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  27. #27
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    471


    More teasing , yes it's a rendering but shows the position to externally adjust the pump pressure. Motor is inverted with the pump at the bottom, no need to remove anything to adjust the pump pressure

    Antony
    Casa Espresso
    Www.casaespresso.com.au

  28. #28
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,009
    Another benefit is that if there is a leak at the pump head it will not drop down into the motor.

    Pity the gauges haven't been upgraded. They work fine but the plastic needles look "cheap" on an otherwise top class machine (maybe it's just me and my eye for detail and things mechanical).

    Cheers

  29. #29
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Another benefit is that if there is a leak at the pump head it will not drop down into the motor.

    Pity the gauges haven't been upgraded. They work fine but the plastic needles look "cheap" on an otherwise top class machine (maybe it's just me and my eye for detail and things mechanical).

    Cheers
    Which version do you have Artman? This version the IV plus and the IV both have the same style gauges with the Alex branding. I think they look quite good with the distinctive branding rather then the off the shelf units used by a lot of other manufacturers.
    It is all useful feedback though and information we do relay back to Italy.

    Cheers

    Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    Www.casaespresso.com.au

  30. #30
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    15,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    More teasing , yes it's a rendering but shows the position to externally adjust the pump pressure. Motor is inverted with the pump at the bottom, no need to remove anything to adjust the pump pressure

    Antony
    Casa Espresso
    Www.casaespresso.com.au
    Always the little things that count...

    Mal.
    Casa Espresso likes this.

  31. #31
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    Which version do you have Artman? This version the IV plus and the IV both have the same style gauges with the Alex branding. I think they look quite good with the distinctive branding rather then the off the shelf units used by a lot of other manufacturers.
    It is all useful feedback though and information we do relay back to Italy.

    Cheers

    Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    Www.casaespresso.com.au
    Hi Antony

    Mine is the II, on closer inspection of the pic above the gauges are different. Mine are like this:

    Alex II gauges.JPG

    (Sorry for the sideways pic, damn it!!!)

    The other thing that looks like has been addressed is the vinyl sticker on the front panel above the taps (end just visible in my pic) showing direction of the on/off for the taps (why are they needed anyway when they work like house taps?...).

    The rounded side panels with the filled in tops looks classy (i think this came out on the III?).

    Cheers
    Last edited by artman; 14th July 2017 at 11:42 PM. Reason: sodeways pic comment, noooooo!!!

  32. #32
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    471
    The first pre order of the new Alex Duetto was placed by a CS member today.

    Congratulations .... Look forward to your review when it lands in October

    https://www.casaespresso.com.au/izzo...o-iv-plus.html


    Cheers

    Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    coffeechris and Dimal like this.

  33. #33
    Foz
    Foz is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    12
    Hi Antony,

    What is the power consumption of each boiler?

    Is that a good measure of each boilers ability to produce steam pressure or recover quickly after pulling a shot?

    -Foz

  34. #34
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    292
    The extra height is a great idea, if you use scales and large cups things get a little tight with the older variations. Great, reliable and thoroughly enjoyable machines.

  35. #35
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Hi Antony

    Mine is the II, on closer inspection of the pic above the gauges are different. Mine are like this:

    Alex II gauges.JPG

    (Sorry for the sideways pic, damn it!!!)

    The other thing that looks like has been addressed is the vinyl sticker on the front panel above the taps (end just visible in my pic) showing direction of the on/off for the taps (why are they needed anyway when they work like house taps?...).

    The rounded side panels with the filled in tops looks classy (i think this came out on the III?).

    Cheers
    I can't believe you still have those stickers on, mine lasted about a week before they feel off ha ha.
    artman likes this.

  36. #36
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    Hi Antony,

    What is the power consumption of each boiler?

    Is that a good measure of each boilers ability to produce steam pressure or recover quickly after pulling a shot?

    -Foz
    Hi Foz

    The steam boiler is 1.8L with a 1000W element

    Brew boiler is .8L 1000W.

    https://www.casaespresso.com.au/izzo...o-iv-plus.html

    The machine has the option of giving priority to the brew boiler only when heating to reduce power use.

    Cheers

    Antony

    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Last edited by Casa Espresso; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:21 PM.
    coffeechris likes this.

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post

    Is that a good measure of each boilers ability to produce steam pressure or recover quickly after pulling a shot?
    Generally:

    Boiler volume gives sustained steam pressure

    Boiler element wattage drives rebound time (and initial heat up)

  38. #38
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    471
    Update on Alex Duetto Plus.

    First stock is expected landed in Australia 1st week of October (only three weeks).

    The A$ / Euro exchange rate has been a little bit kinder to us the last few months so we have been able to adjust the pricing slightly.

    All of the first stock are also coming with a standard naked group handle in addition to the Izzo tamper and various steam tips.

    Cheers

    Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal, Magic_Matt and noonar like this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •