• 9 Post By LeroyC
  • 3 Post By AlMac
  • 2 Post By Magic_Matt
  • 1 Post By mrgray
  • 1 Post By boontsien
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso

Thread: Decisions decisions decisions.... help

Decisions decisions decisions.... help

Hi all... first time poster but been lurker here for a bit.
    Got more serious into coffee 2 years ago and now using ECM barista with Quamar 50 grinder. Pretty happy with delivery and since have learned some art along the way....
    However, keen to upgrade to a double boiler with PID. Just wanting some ideas/opinions
    Options:-
    1) selling the current ECM Barista but keeping the grinder - just getting new machine
    2) selling both and getting a package
    Budget wise.... not exceeding 5k

I have heard good things about the ECM Synchronika.... however, having used ECM Barista for a while, i am not quite happy with the steam power...
    I have used the rocket Giotto DB and quite like it
    also being tempted by LMLM given that its about the price range... although i have been told it's not exactly as good as it was expected.

Thanks guys!
    kbc likes this.

Having used LMLM and Synchronika, the Linea Mini certainly has more steam power - comparable with commercial machines I've used. Too much, really, if you're regularly steaming small quantities of milk.

The Synchronika's steam power is more than sufficient, but I don't know what the Barista is like for comparison. Otherwise I found the LMLM a little underwhelming for various reasons, especially given its price point. If I was offered a straight swap for my Synchronika, I'd keep the ECM.

With a $5k budget, it might be worth considering whether a DB offers significant advantages for your use over a HX, which would free up some money for a grinder upgrade.

Otherwise, you might've come across this thread comparing the Synchronika, profitec pro 700 and Rocket - and more recently, updated Izzo Alex IV.
    Dimal and magnafunk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by greenfinger View Post
    Hi all... first time poster but been lurker here for a bit.
    Got more serious into coffee 2 years ago and now using ECM barista with Quamar 50 grinder. Pretty happy with delivery and since have learned some art along the way....
    However, keen to upgrade to a double boiler with PID. Just wanting some ideas/opinions
    Options:-
    1) selling the current ECM Barista but keeping the grinder - just getting new machine
    2) selling both and getting a package
    Budget wise.... not exceeding 5k

I have heard good things about the ECM Synchronika.... however, having used ECM Barista for a while, i am not quite happy with the steam power...
    I have used the rocket Giotto DB and quite like it
    also being tempted by LMLM given that its about the price range... although i have been told it's not exactly as good as it was expected.

Thanks guys!
    Hi Greenfinger... I know how you feel. Been researching for last couple of months. Started with HX utility definitely going with DB. I thought I wanted profitec 700 but going for ECM synchronika which I am literally about to pull the trigger on...just finalising the grinder.

What sold it for me was the steam and not water handles to turn on/off. I like the flick on/off.

But what I can say...both would be awesome machines. It really comes down to personal taste. I don't think you will go wrong ...all top quality that will last for years.

P.s. enjoy the research as this is part of the excitement of choosing a new machine.

Cheers
    Madaxle
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Thank you guys for the comments
    Good to know the sync has good stream power and with DB I'm assuming it will be better than my current ecm barista

Hi madaxle - share your pain mate... But it's also the fun researching for the best! I think I'm swaying towards the ECM Sync now, very similar preference like yours over the pro 700

Hey K Bean that's a pretty sleek beast! Does ECM Sync comes powder coated in different colours as well? I'm surprised you hear The Pro is out selling the ECM on this!

Guess I would just have to exclude the LMLM now....
    madaxle likes this.

Thank you guys for the comments
    Good to know the sync has good stream power and with DB I'm assuming it will be better than my current ecm barista

Hi madaxle - share your pain mate... But it's also the fun researching for the best! I think I'm swaying towards the ECM Sync now, very similar preference like yours over the pro 700

Hey K Bean that's a pretty sleek beast! Does ECM Sync comes powder coated in different colours as well? I'm surprised you hear The Pro is out selling the ECM on this!

Guess I would just have to exclude the LMLM now....
    Same bang for fewer bucks I guess... Personally I was always sold on the ECM styling and finish so it was a matter of waiting for them to bring out a (relatively) affordable DB. The toggle valves and better gauge position were a bonus
    madaxle and greenfinger like this.

Have you seen the Whole Latte Love videos? They are clear their favourite is Pro700

Whole Latte Love also recommend preground Lavazza so I don't give much credence to their opinions.

keen to upgrade to a double boiler with PID
    I like the Alex Duetto:
    - best looking DB (which is why I would buy one);
    - ability to plumb in (so to mains water and mains drain);
    - insulated boilers;
    - rotary pump (should be a given at this price);
    - reasonable boiler sizes for brew and steam;
    - PID.

Your ECM Barista is a good little unit.
    A DB may, or may not, be an upgrade, depending on what it is you are looking for...

Probably keep your grinder for now.
    If you are doing a grinder upgrade you could either try modifying yours to be stepless (I think it is possible?) or, if buying a new one, don't buy stepped as my view is that stepped introduces a limitation on adjustment that you don't need.

Anyone owns an Alex Duetto or Vesuvius V2 that may provide some feedback on these 2?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by AlMac View Post
    I like the Alex Duetto:
    - best looking DB (which is why I would buy one);
    - ability to plumb in (so to mains water and mains drain);
    - insulated boilers;
    - rotary pump (should be a given at this price);
    - reasonable boiler sizes for brew and steam;
    - PID.

Your ECM Barista is a good little unit.
    A DB may, or may not, be an upgrade, depending on what it is you are looking for...

Probably keep your grinder for now.
    If you are doing a grinder upgrade you could either try modifying yours to be stepless (I think it is possible?) or, if buying a new one, don't buy stepped as my view is that stepped introduces a limitation on adjustment that you don't need.
    To be fair though, point one is very much subjective and the rest apply equally to all machines in this thread.
    level3ninja and greenfinger like this.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    To be fair though, point one is very much subjective and the rest apply equally to all machines in this thread.
    Fair, although it's a a big call Matt to say that point one is subjective

i went thru this process and got the LMLM albeit the Rick Bond modded version. it is brilliant. very consistent, great steam (smaller tip than standard fixed the too much steam feeling i initially had), heats up quick. i figured 2 boilers was all about trying to get good temp stability (and hence repeatability) (and have good steam) and the design of the LMLM delivers on that.
    greenfinger likes this.

Anybody used the isomac pro dual boiler? Looks very similar to the rest of the competition but for under $3k!

Greenfinger, there will always be a better machine out there so just get what fits your budget at the time or what will make you happy until the next purge
    greenfinger likes this.

Does ECM Sync comes powder coated in different colours as well?
    All powder coating is done by the reseller not ex-factory. About $300 extra i think someone quoted once

Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    All powder coating is done by the reseller not ex-factory. About $300 extra i think someone quoted once
    We have had some ECMs come from the importer with white sides, however I am not sure if they were done factory or by the importer,

It is relatively simple to powder coat the side and rear panels locally, we have done a few over the years.

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    trentski likes this.

Thanks!
    Has anyone done wrapping instead of powder coating? Preference over one the other?

I would have thought over the years that wrapping would be affected by heat? Would definitely give you access to some unique looks, I occasionally see a jaguar print wrapped jaguar around and definitely is distinctive.

Wrapping can also be easily changed or removed if you want a different look. Not as durable as powder coating but should be ok if treated carefully.

Thinking about wrapping the sides of mine in red!

Cheers