• 1 Post By herzog
  • 1 Post By Magic_Matt
  • 2 Post By madaxle
  • 3 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 3 Post By level3ninja

Thread: ECM Synchronika Plumbing in Advice

ECM Synchronika Plumbing in Advice

Hi All,

Sorry if this has already been posted before but looking for some help here. I have just purchased an ECM Synchronika and looking for some advise around the plumbing in with filter and waste. Taking delivery soon but want to get the water filter ordered to plumb in and to avoid scale.

Based in Sydney (ryde catchment) so Sydney water showing the following but also attached:

Total dissolved solids: 100-136
    Total hardness: 48-62
    PH: 7.8-8.0

The ECM manual states that there is a 1 x metal hose 1/8 (i.e. 3.175mm) to 3/8 (i.e. 9.525mm).

I have a perfect outlet under the sink which also goes into the dishwasher. I understand that to ensure i got the right pressure i could not use the dishwasher if i wanted to have a coffee and only 1 could be used at a time. The measurement i took were 12mm plastic hose with a female fitting (looks closer to 28-30mm) going to a male tap fitting (looks between 25mm-30mm) - will take the fitting off tomorrow to confirm 100%

Questions:
    1. Can find the specifications of the hose required for the drip tray to drain. Any idea on the mm size of this pipe?
    2. looking at either the Brita C150 finest or 3M HF15-MS Water Filter, High Flow Series. Does anyone have experience in these? Looking at my water hardness was thinking that the 3M might be better as its says up to hardness 140 which i think i am under.
    3. Do you need to buy a 'shut-off valve' or does that come with the Brita/3M
    4. Do you need to buy a 'water pressure valve'? Or will the filter be suitable to handle
    5. do i need a t-junction? If so do i attach this to the tap or cut partway through the 12mm hose going to dishwasher to the tap fitting. I think its to the tap itself.
    5. What sort of pipe fitting would i need from the steel hose coming wiht the machine into the filter. Assuming 3/8" (male or female?) to ?" male or female. Assuming it would fit straight into the steel hose that goes to the machine to the filter itself. Correct?
    6. what sort of pipe hose fitting do i need from the filter to the tap fitting / t-junction fitting?

Any advise or tips that could help me work this out and get this right would be greatly appreciated.

20170731_205346_resized_1.jpg20170731_212850_resized_1.jpg20170731_205543_resized_1.jpg20170731_212842_resized_1.jpg

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

ECM Synchronika Plumbing in Advice

I use the 3m filter you mentioned, which I bought from the filtration mob that sponsor this site.

The filter connects to the 3m head which has an auto shutoff. The head comes as a ready made kit which includes the pressure reducer and the hoses needed to connect to your upstream water supply.

The hose supplied with your ECM will connect directly to this head with no adaptors needed.

The auto shutoff in the head shuts off the water supply as soon as you unscrew the filter bottle.
    madaxle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by madaxle View Post
    Hi All,

Sorry if this has already been posted before but looking for some help here. I have just purchased an ECM Synchronika and looking for some advise around the plumbing in with filter and waste. Taking delivery soon but want to get the water filter ordered to plumb in and to avoid scale.

Based in Sydney (ryde catchment) so Sydney water showing the following but also attached:

Total dissolved solids: 100-136
    Total hardness: 48-62
    PH: 7.8-8.0

The ECM manual states that there is a 1 x metal hose 1/8 (i.e. 3.175mm) to 3/8 (i.e. 9.525mm).

I have a perfect outlet under the sink which also goes into the dishwasher. I understand that to ensure i got the right pressure i could not use the dishwasher if i wanted to have a coffee and only 1 could be used at a time. The measurement i took were 12mm plastic hose with a female fitting (looks closer to 28-30mm) going to a male tap fitting (looks between 25mm-30mm) - will take the fitting off tomorrow to confirm 100%

Questions:
    1. Can find the specifications of the hose required for the drip tray to drain. Any idea on the mm size of this pipe?
    2. looking at either the Brita C150 finest or 3M HF15-MS Water Filter, High Flow Series. Does anyone have experience in these? Looking at my water hardness was thinking that the 3M might be better as its says up to hardness 140 which i think i am under.
    3. Do you need to buy a 'shut-off valve' or does that come with the Brita/3M
    4. Do you need to buy a 'water pressure valve'? Or will the filter be suitable to handle
    5. do i need a t-junction? If so do i attach this to the tap or cut partway through the 12mm hose going to dishwasher to the tap fitting. I think its to the tap itself.
    5. What sort of pipe fitting would i need from the steel hose coming wiht the machine into the filter. Assuming 3/8" (male or female?) to ?" male or female. Assuming it would fit straight into the steel hose that goes to the machine to the filter itself. Correct?
    6. what sort of pipe hose fitting do i need from the filter to the tap fitting / t-junction fitting?

Any advise or tips that could help me work this out and get this right would be greatly appreciated.

20170731_205346_resized_1.jpg20170731_212850_resized_1.jpg20170731_205543_resized_1.jpg20170731_212842_resized_1.jpg

Thanks in advance.
    Hey Alex,

To add to my PM, the Brita does include a pressure reducer and shut off valve, and the brass T-Junction you need goes between the tap and the existing connector. The only one I could find had one female and two male fittings, so I also needed two male-male adapters. Lots of leaks initially, heaps of plumbers tape... Everything else just worked with the included fittings from the machine and filter, though the push-pull fitting on the filter outlet needed to be removed and reseated to stop it from leaking.

I wouldn't worry about running the washing machine - line pressure is only used to fill the brew boiler and if you use pre infusion - everything else is handled by the pump or steam boiler pressure.

Cheers,
    Matt
    madaxle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Hey Alex,

To add to my PM, the Brita does include a pressure reducer and shut off valve, and the brass T-Junction you need goes between the tap and the existing connector. The only one I could find had one female and two male fittings, so I also needed two male-male adapters. Lots of leaks initially, heaps of plumbers tape... Everything else just worked with the included fittings from the machine and filter, though the push-pull fitting on the filter outlet needed to be removed and reseated to stop it from leaking.

I wouldn't worry about running the washing machine - line pressure is only used to fill the brew boiler and if you use pre infusion - everything else is handled by the pump or steam boiler pressure.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Thanks Matt.

For others that are looking to do the same here are some points that Matt has shared over private message:

Brita C150
    It included all the tubing needed to connect to the water outlet, the machine should've included a braided steel hose to go to the machine
    Bunnings had a brass T-joiner that did the job along with lots of good-quality Teflon tape (not the stuff included with the filter - it's crap)
    Brita does include a pressure reducer and shut off valve
    The 3/8" valve from ECM Sync goes straight into the Brita C150
    The output to water mains has a 1/2" valve to plug into the T-Junction or Water Tap. Just need the right brass/tape to connect

Waste
    For the waste you'll need an additional part (I think it's called the "drain waste kit" or similar), basically an open-topped plastic box that sits under the drip tray.
    You will need to drill out the drip tray - there's an indent for that, my tip here is to source a rubber plug and drill to the same diameter so it's simple if you move the machine and want to run the drip tray again. And keep the hole small - well under a cm - to limit the flow rate.
    The outlet from the drain box is small, so it will fill up and overflow if a lot of water goes through. I'd even start at 4mm or so, you can always drill it out further later on if needed.

Thanks all. Have purchased the C150 and will visit bunnings for the brass/tape bits.
    Last edited by madaxle; 1st August 2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: deleted irrelevant content
    Casa Espresso and Magic_Matt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by madaxle View Post
    Thanks Matt.

For others that are looking to do the same here are some points that Matt has shared over private message:

Brita C150
    It included all the tubing needed to connect to the water outlet, the machine should've included a braided steel hose to go to the machine
    Bunnings had a brass T-joiner that did the job along with lots of good-quality Teflon tape (not the stuff included with the filter - it's crap)
    Brita does include a pressure reducer and shut off valve
    The 3/8" valve from ECM Sync goes straight into the Brita C150
    The output to water mains has a 1/2" valve to plug into the T-Junction or Water Tap. Just need the right brass/tape to connect

Waste
    For the waste you'll need an additional part (I think it's called the "drain waste kit" or similar), basically an open-topped plastic box that sits under the drip tray.
    You will need to drill out the drip tray - there's an indent for that, my tip here is to source a rubber plug and drill to the same diameter so it's simple if you move the machine and want to run the drip tray again. And keep the hole small - well under a cm - to limit the flow rate.
    The outlet from the drain box is small, so it will fill up and overflow if a lot of water goes through. I'd even start at 4mm or so, you can always drill it out further later on if needed.

Thanks all. Have purchased the C150 and will visit bunnings for the brass/tape bits.
    Alex,

Hold off on the Bunnings trip!

I have arranged a kit for you that includes the 1/2 inch adapter to your tap fitting along with a role of Teflon tape.

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Magic_Matt, madaxle and 338 like this.

After hearing this from a plumber a few years ago my life has been easier when playing with water pipes:
    Only buy the red Teflon tape, the white is rubbish. Wrap it in the direction the outer fitting will be tightened in, and go around twice, no more no less.
    Casa Espresso, Magic_Matt and 338 like this.

The Wega Mini Nova Classic has a moveable brass screw in the bottom of the drip tray. I would have thought for a machine designed to be plumbed in this would be standard?