Thread: ECM portafiler disassembly

ECM portafiler disassembly

Hey,

New here, first post

I own an ECM Mechnika Profi IV.

I would like to costumize it with wood instead of the black parts (steam & water handles, portafiler, lever).
    This parts can be disassembly?
    My second thought was try to put ACS steam & water handles which look the same, but I don't know if they fit, any thoughts?
    Any other ideas for cool costum?

Thanks!

Have a talk with these folks: Wilcox Custom Coffee Parts

Java "Beautiful work!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

I will contact him.
    Thanks!

I think @readeral knows a trick to disassemble ECM portafilters...

Yeah I broke my portafilter handle so I know all about their build. In short, you can't swap the plastic for say a hollow wooden handle, and so yes if the thread of the ACS matches the ECM that's your best option.

The design of the ECM is stupid, think of it like basically a black plastic that screws into the portafilter head, and has the stainless cap. Only, inside that plastic (and protruding to screw into the PF head) is a metal bolt. However it's all moulded in. You can't actually remove the bolt! Very dumb. I'll post pics later!

Oh and disassembly (sorry!) just have the head in boiling water for 5 or so minutes, and use a 10mm (or 10.5/11mm...) Allen wrench to turn the handle off (once you've removed the stainless cap). That plastic Allen socket is nestled into the stainless bolt's Allen socket. It can still strip (or whatever the word is for damaging the socket) easier than metal, but if you've melted the glue with boiling water, and you get a good purchase with the Allen key in the socket, it'll move fine.

So here's a photo. The reason the metal bolt is exposed is because the plastic snapped (this happened when the portafilter was knocked 1.5m off the machine onto tile floor - NOT because I tried to remove the handle) so normally you'll never get access to that bolt.

Mike at JetBlack says this kind of damage is common, and thinks the design is ridiculous. I agree.

Thanks a lot for the information!
    I think I will pass costum the pf & lever and try to do something with the setam & water handles... I'll check if the ACS fits, if its not I will try to make a steam & water handle by myself from wood.

Does anybody knows the diameter of the inner part of the joystick? I try to measure it with measuring tape and it's not accurate
    How does it called?

Thanks.