Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By pgseye
  • 1 Post By Magic_Matt

Thread: How much boiling water should I expect?

How much boiling water should I expect?

Hi All,

My recent issue with my Profitec 700 has prompted me to ask another question that my wife has been hassling me about for a little while.

When she makes tea for more than a couple of people she complains that the machine doesn't seem to put out a lot of boiling water. I thought I'd test it today. The steam boiler seems to sit at about 1.4 bar and over a couple of test runs I've got about 600 ml water out (over 15 seconds) before the pressure drops to zero and the water stops running.

The 700 has a 2 litre boiler - should I be expecting more than 600 mls in one go? It takes about 2 minutes before I can draw more water at good pressure.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul, just checked my Synchronika and got about the same. Obviously the steam boiler isn't full - there's headspace for the steam.

Another factor is that as the boiler refill kicks in, cold water will lower the temperature and therefore pressure of the water in the boiler. Someone posted a suggestion recently in another thread that you can extract more hot water by switching the machine off first so it doesn't refill the boiler. Apparently this is recommended in the Pro700 manual.

Thanks Matt - that's reassuring. I will very diplomatically explain to my wife that she might have unrealistic expectations

P.S. Thanks for the tip as well - I'll look at that.

P.P.S - Holy crap - i just tested that, it works a treat! I turned it off after I drew about 1200 mls. I'll remember that if wanting a lot of hot water in one go. Thanks.
    greenman and Magic_Matt like this.

Wow, that's more than I expected! Probably good to turn over the water in the boiler to prevent scale as well...

I reckon freshly boiled water is a must for tea though... but that's a topic for Teasnobs
    trentski likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pgseye View Post
    Hi All,

My recent issue with my Profitec 700 has prompted me to ask another question that my wife has been hassling me about for a little while.

When she makes tea for more than a couple of people she complains that the machine doesn't seem to put out a lot of boiling water. I thought I'd test it today. The steam boiler seems to sit at about 1.4 bar and over a couple of test runs I've got about 600 ml water out (over 15 seconds) before the pressure drops to zero and the water stops running.

The 700 has a 2 litre boiler - should I be expecting more than 600 mls in one go? It takes about 2 minutes before I can draw more water at good pressure.
    Shutoff the machine switch before drawing the hot water. If you don't, the cold water will start rushing in to replenish the water level. The cold water rapidly lowers the temp in the boiler below 100C within a few seconds. Once it goes below 100C, there is no pressure to expel water from the boiler.

This advice is applicable to most similar machines. Using the recommended approach, you will get well over a litre of hot water - you can pretty much empty the boiler.

Exact quote from manual:

Dispensing of hot water
    1. Place a suitable container (with heat-insulated grip) underneath the hot water wand. Now you can dispense hot water (e.g. for tea). When dispensing large amounts of water, it is advisable to turn the machine off so that no cold water is pumped out of the fresh water tank.
    2. After having dispensed hot water, turn the machine back on. The boiler is automatically refilled with fresh water.

Even with the 3.5L boiler on my BZ40-P it would only do about a litre of so before needing to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Wow, that's more than I expected! Probably good to turn over the water in the boiler to prevent scale as well...

I reckon freshly boiled water is a must for tea though... but that's a topic for Teasnobs
    Since the minerals from the water in the boiler are already precipitated (if there are sufficient to do so) wouldn't adding fresh water just add more minerals?

My understanding is that already boiled water is no good for tea. Fresh water, heated to the boiling point but not actually boiling is the standard. Some teas don't actually like water that hot--80C is recommended for oolong.

Greg