Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By u2jewel
  • 1 Post By Foz
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso

Thread: Upgrade advice

Foz

Upgrade advice

Hi all,

It is finally time to lay my Silvia to rest - she has been good to me for the last 7 years, but I have funds approval from the Minister for Fun and Finance and the time to upgrade is now.

After a fair bit of research I have decided on the following essential criteria:
    Dual Boiler
    Ability to plumb or be on internal tank
    PID
    Sexy AF

Budget: circa $5k for machine and grinder (grinder selection will be a whole new conversation)

My shortlist is thus:
    ECM Synchronika
    Profitec Pro 700
    Izzo Valexia Duetto IV
    Izzo Alex Duetto IV Plus (soon to hit the shelves).

Ultimately, I know they will all make fantastic coffee. So lets get into the nitty gritty little things that may make me regret spending $4k+ on it.

I know that there have been quite a few threads on Synchronika v Pro 700 ... and I have read them. They are what helped me weed the R58 out of my shortlist. If it were just those 2 then I think it would come down to a decision between joy sticks or knobs - and I think I will need to find somewhere to play with them IOT decide that.

Then there are the beautiful Izzos. I quite like the v-shape of the Valexia, and I don't even mind the large drip tray. I am a little worried about the cup clearance though. Then there is the IV Plus. It seems to address that issue whilst retaining the stunning looks - the issue being that it is ~$500 more than the other options.

I am particularly interested in opinions on the ECM / Profitec vs the Izzos. Also, any experience CS'rs have had with the Duetto IV Plus that may make it worth or not worth the extra $500.

Thanks in advance

-Foz

Hi,
    Depending on the timescale of when you want to purchase it, you might not really get any info with regard to Duetto IV plus. It's just too new. There's a guy called DavecUk over in the English forum who apparently is in the process of making an in depth review on it for one of the retailers over there. When that's coming out, I'm not sure.
    Since it seems you have done your good homework, you already
    know the pros and cons of ecm and the profitec.
    The Valexia I never looked at, so can't help you there.
    But I recently went through a similar decision making process myself, and I decided upon the Synchronika. Collecting it this weekend in fact. So no hands on advice can be offered yet.

It was a tie breaker between 700 and the synchronica, but I figured I liked the joystick more, preferred its looks a little bit more, and since it comes with a nice tamper, I wouldn't have to buy one, bridging the price difference closer. I'm not sure about Aussie spec, but in the UK synchronica comes with drip tray plumbing, but the pro 700 doesn't, narrowing the price difference yet again.

Smallest of things swung my vote.
    I'll attach a link to Duetto, just in case you've yet to see it.

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/I...ual-Boiler.pdf

http://news.bellabarista.co.uk/new-a...resso-machine/
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Foz
    Thanks for the links u2jewel, they answered a couple of my questions. As far as timeframe goes, I can wait if I have to. I've already sold my Silvia but I do have my RossaHC and minipresso as a back up.

Are there any site sponsors with showrooms in Brisbane? I would like to buy local and also have the option of getting up close and personal before making my decision.

Good to have handy backups
    I hope someone else can help you out with site sponsors near Brisbane.. I'm very new to the forum myself, and don't know who's/where's...

I am very happy with my Izzo Leva however I suspect all of the top machines will do what you want. A bit like comparing Audi and BMW really
    The Leva is simplicity itself ( a kettle with a lever attached), less to go wrong and beautiful pours even when learning. Have a look at the Izzo Leva thread on this forum
    I won't go back to a pump machine again
    Good luck with choice!
    Cheers
    Dr Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dave View Post
    I am very happy with my Izzo Leva however I suspect all of the top machines will do what you want. A bit like comparing Audi and BMW really
    The Leva is simplicity itself ( a kettle with a lever attached), less to go wrong and beautiful pours even when learning. Have a look at the Izzo Leva thread on this forum
    I won't go back to a pump machine again
    Good luck with choice!
    Cheers
    Dr Dave

Plus one to Dr Dave's sentiments. So easy to clean and maintain too. I probably pour a bad shot 1 in every 100, usually due to a drastic change in bean size. Even a bad pour tastes better than my previous machine. Can't beat that solid lump of metal out the front for stability and consistency.

Foz

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
    Plus one to Dr Dave's sentiments. So easy to clean and maintain too. I probably pour a bad shot 1 in every 100, usually due to a drastic change in bean size. Even a bad pour tastes better than my previous machine. Can't beat that solid lump of metal out the front for stability and consistency.
    Gents, I totally get what you are saying with the Leva. The Alex Leva was actually my number one choice. Unfortunately, 2 things stopped me pulling the trigger - or lever as the case my be.... ;-)

1. I need the option to have it run from internal tank. I have just finished renovating the kitchen and there is just no way to plumb it in where it will need to sit.
    2. The wife said NO. She didn't like the aesthetics of the Lever being so tall and sitting above the level of the wall cupboards in the kitchen. I was fully prepared to go into battle on this point until I measured it out and realised that the wall cupboard wouldn't even be able to open without hitting the lever.

So, no Leva for me :-(

Can anyone comment on the brand and build quality between the ECM / Profitec and the Izzo? The first 2 seem to get big props on this forum but I haven't read much about the Izzo.

My feeling just from specs and photos is that the Alex IV doesn't have a particular edge on features or functionality - more that it's addressing some of the aesthetic, ergonomic and design issues that led to some people dismissing the earlier versions.

So it'll probably come down to which minor features and aesthetics you prefer (as with the Synchronika vs Pro 700).

Foz
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    My feeling just from specs and photos is that the Alex IV doesn't have a particular edge on features or functionality - more that it's addressing some of the aesthetic, ergonomic and design issues that led to some people dismissing the earlier versions.

So it'll probably come down to which minor features and aesthetics you prefer (as with the Synchronika vs Pro 700).
    I tend to agree Matt. I think they are all pretty close on features. I do prefer (slightly) the styling on the Izzo, but it's hard to justify an extra $500 just for aesthetics.

Is the Izzo as respected a brand as ECM and Profitec? and is the build quality / longevity likely to be the same?
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Agreed at this price point it is going to be personal choice over any significant difference in features or performance.

I can offer a CS pre order special on the Alex Duetto Plus to any one that wants to contact me directly

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    Is the Izzo as respected a brand as ECM and Profitec? and is the build quality / longevity likely to be the same?
    Absolutely in the same league - I took a good look at the Alex when I bought the Synchronika but I've always been a fan of the ECM styling so it was an easy decision in the end. With the oversize drip tray addressed in the IV, it would probably be a harder choice for me now - and if the Leva follows suit it's a possible upgrade path sometime in the future...

Foz
    Absolutely - I took a good look at the Alex when I bought the Synchronika but I've always been a fan of the ECM styling so it was an easy decision in the end. With the oversize drip tray addressed in the IV, it would probably be a harder choice for me now - and if the Leva follows suit it's a possible upgrade path sometime in the future...
    Thanks Matt!