Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By level3ninja

Thread: Cimbali M22+ - oily coffee and pressure issues

Cimbali M22+ - oily coffee and pressure issues

Gday all.
    Ive recently purchased an 2 group from garage sales on the way down the shops to get my wife a takeaway coffee. Probably something i should have given more thought too, I was fairly hungover at the time and focussed on a bacon and egg roll.

Be that as it may, and $3000 later (install cost), its set up at home now.

it started off well, 3 months ago, making great coffee. Then i had an issue with water leaking out some overflow pipe - which I miraculously managed to fix by taking apart the solenoid valve and reinstalling.

Success continued for a short time longer until two strange things started happening (which may be related)
    1) the coffee drips out very very slowly unless i dont put much cofee in handle, and
    2) oily droplets appear in the coffee for the first one or two coffees made on each group each day, maybe longer. The coffee tastes 'industrial', so i assume the oil isnt from a good place.

As you have probably gathered, I dont know much about these machines and should have just focused on the bacon and egg roll. However its too late to go back now. Anyone got any advice about two issues above by any chance?

The first thing I'd do would be a good cleaning of the grouphead(s) and screen(s), removing the screen(s) to clean them, followed by backflushing of the grouphead(s) using backflushing detergent (A cleaner made specifically for cleaning espresso machine groupheads.). Follow the instructions on the backflushing detergent and do it multiple times until the exhaust water comes out clean. Backflushing with detergent needs to be done regularly. Weekly in a home setting is usually sufficient. Daily backflushing with-out detergent is also a good idea. Some of us do it after every espresso/set of espressos.

Java "Cimba!" phile
    Dimal likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    The first thing I'd do would be a good cleaning of the grouphead(s) and screen(s), removing the screen(s) to clean them, followed by backflushing of the grouphead(s) using backflushing detergent (A cleaner made specifically for cleaning espresso machine groupheads.). Follow the instructions on the backflushing detergent and do it multiple times until the exhaust water comes out clean. Backflushing with detergent needs to be done regularly. Weekly in a home setting is usually sufficient. Daily backflushing with-out detergent is also a good idea. Some of us do it after every espresso/set of espressos.

Java "Cimba!" phile

Roger that, thank you sir.
    Ill have a crack and hopefully report back success soon.

Now, it appears Cofetto coffee machine cleaner is the way forwad - but can anyone tell me if the regular or EVO version would be better please? My machine is very much in need of a clean. God know's how long it was sitting in the garage before I bought it.

Danke.

The EvoŽ Espresso Machine Cleaner is certified organic, the Espresso CleanŽ Powder isn't.

Java "Cleaner" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

The only difference being whether or not your organic food producing certifications are kept intact when you clean your machine, for us mere mortals there's no difference.
    Dimal likes this.

Great, thanks JP and L3N.

Ive purchased some of the non-EVO version.

And, since we last spoke my coffee grinder temporarily stopped working. For the last week or two the grind came out very slowly and extremely fine (like talcum powder). It eventually stopped producing any grind yesterday so I tool it apart, cleaned, and put back together. Now the grind comes out as normal (however seems a little course compared to how its been over the last few weeks), even at its most fine setting. Anyway, I made a cup this morning and Cimbali loves it - no longer dripping out extremely slowly containing oil droplets.

So my original problem may have just been that my coffee beans were ground too finely. However I still have some tinkering to go - cos a short black only takes about 5 seconds to fill, when handle packed and pressed hard. So I now need to figure how to get the grind somewhere between the talcum powder and what it is now (setting is always on finest). Its not a great grinder.

The saga continues...

What grinder is it? The symptoms you are describing are synonymous with blunt burrs. They can either grind too coarse or extremely fine.

Replacing the burrs is a reasonably easy job.

Thanks noidle22. My grinder is a Breville. Its not a good one, however Ill take apart the top, find the burr and see if I can replace it.

Right, in that case it's a different story. Is it a Smart Grinder or Dose Control Pro grinder? If so, chances are the impeller wheel that spits out the ground coffee has worn and is unable to sweep the grounds out at a sufficient rate which causes them to build up and jam the grinder.

This part can be replaced with an aftermarket part (google BCG800 impeller and navigate to the Shapeways website) but costs around $45 and can be tricky to install.

May be worth the investment to upgrade your grinder, in the long run it will work out better.