Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Synesso MVP Hydra arrival and install!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    I forgot about the big amperage. Makes the power saving mode a useful option
    Yeah it makes buying an off the shelf timer tricky, the one I got is hard wired.

I have just purchased a new machine which should come in a couple of weeks. Believe me i'm happy to be getting a new machine but feel a little guilty looking at this and wanting one. In the back of my mind wishing I had one... Its seriously like looking at food when you are hungry and your mouth starting to salivate over the thought. Having quietly followed through what has been written on this thread and your initial thread asking about opinions, its really made me want one..

All that aside, I've always been happy with the choices I've made and the machine i'm going to get i will be happy with.

But these do look really nice and good on you for taking the plunge.

Cheers,

Chris
    matth3wh and magnafunk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeechris View Post
    I have just purchased a new machine which should come in a couple of weeks. Believe me i'm happy to be getting a new machine but feel a little guilty looking at this and wanting one. In the back of my mind wishing I had one... Its seriously like looking at food when you are hungry and your mouth starting to salivate over the thought. Having quietly followed through what has been written on this thread and your initial thread asking about opinions, its really made me want one..

All that aside, I've always been happy with the choices I've made and the machine i'm going to get i will be happy with.

But these do look really nice and good on you for taking the plunge.

Cheers,

Chris
    Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you, I'm so excited for you, it's such a great feeling with something in the pipeline(often it's a better feeling than actually receiving the item). I can't wait to see what you have on the way.

One comment I will make is, I have had a number of machines in my life and the Synesso is a progression of this. I think that we often want to keep the enthusiasm up and buying new stuff helps that along. I have always enjoyed the machines I've owned and don't regret buying any of them. I'm sure whatever you buy now will be awesome and when it's time to move it on there will be something else out that is worth buying in it's place. I love coffee and the hobby it is a big part of my life, I am so blessed to be able to own the Synesso, it truly is the greatest machine I've ever used, I love it. Every machine I have owed in the past was a step up from the one before and I have grown with them( though I have surely never reached the full potential of any of them), I have really enjoyed this journey.

Thank you for your response and as I said above I'm really looking forward to seeing what you have ordered, I'm very interested to hear about your experiences too. Please keep me up to date with the progress. Enjoy the waiting period and the anticipation.

Kind Regards,

Jono
    coffeechris and empee like this.

My shot mirror arrived today, such a simple thing, but it's so good. Plus they sent me a shirt, I'm stoked!
    coffeechris, Dimal, JohnA and 1 others like this.

Looks great Jono. Very nice finishing touch with the mirror and the shirt to boot. Hope it's all going well.
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    Looks great Jono. Very nice finishing touch with the mirror and the shirt to boot. Hope it's all going well.
    Thank you matth3wh I couldn't be happier, for me this was definitely the right machine, it has just become so comfortable to use and the day to day operation is so easy.

I haven't been exploring the profiling as much as I'd hoped, there have been a few things in life that have taken priority for now, but I'll be getting back into it soon(I hope).

I have had a number of communications with Synesso and they have been beyond brilliant(always answering that day by email the questions and requests I've had). Great product great company.
    matth3wh likes this.

A quick action shot from this morning(well 2 actually).
    coffeechris, Dimal, JohnA and 6 others like this.

The mirror looks so useful you almost think it should be standard if they are supplying a naked portafilter. It sounds like the company look after you well.
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

What a great idea! Thanks for posting.
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono_Willmer View Post
    My shot mirror arrived today, such a simple thing, but it's so good. Plus they sent me a shirt, I'm stoked!
    Is that a Mudman? I have a Gulfman in those colours. The US Services model with the Ti back.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Is that a Mudman? I have a Gulfman in those colours. The US Services model with the Ti back.
    It's a Frogman(Ti also), I picked it up in Hawaii a few years ago, they seem to do colour schemes for a little while then change them. I'm a watch fan, I actually sold my beloved AP Royal Oak 15300 to pay for the Synesso.

Synesso MVP Hydra arrival and install!!!

It's a Frogman(Ti also), I picked it up in Hawaii a few years ago, they seem to do colour schemes for a little while then change them. I'm a watch fan, I actually sold my beloved AP Royal Oak 15300 to pay for the Synesso.
    So youíre in the unique position of having the uninitiated saying to you - ďso you sold this little ugly thing to pay for this big ugly thing? For how much?!!Ē

Nice Frogman. I havenít really kept up with things in the G-Shock world, itís a whole hobby of its own for the real fanatics. I posted in the G-Shock forum on WUS a few times until I realised those guys were nuts and I was way out of my depth!! Still, Iíve owned a few models and enjoyed all of them. Would really love a Gulfmaster, but happy with my very mixed and nonsensical collection of watches for now. Coffee has well and truly taken over.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    So youíre in the unique position of having the uninitiated saying to you - ďso you sold this little ugly thing to pay for this big ugly thing? For how much?!!Ē

Nice Frogman. I havenít really kept up with things in the G-Shock world, itís a whole hobby of its own for the real fanatics. I posted in the G-Shock forum on WUS a few times until I realised those guys were nuts and I was way out of my depth!! Still, Iíve owned a few models and enjoyed all of them. Would really love a Gulfmaster, but happy with my very mixed and nonsensical collection of watches for now. Coffee has well and truly taken over.
    Those guys are nuts, spending thousands on plastic watches(that's each). Watches are a good hobby you can play and not lose much if anything if you make good decisions and purchases, I've got my keepers now and I don't think I can really see myself buying anything soon, though I'd love to.
    LeroyC likes this.

Like you, I progressed from many a machine to a GS3 (which I had for nearly 10 years) to a single group MVP hydra. I went for powder coat in a couple of different sheen's. I had to choose the color by looking at online samples and it didn't quite turn out as smokey of a black as I anticipated but it's quite grown on me. I have lusted after the Mythos for quite some time, but my old school Elektra Nino is still doing quite well. For now. I've had quite a few "titan" grinders over the years - Robur, Kony, K30 Vario, Versalab, Major, even my lowly Rocky. The Nino has a tiny bit of grind retention but a .5s purge every morning has solved that issue for many years.

I may pick up a Mythos or one of the new Versalab clones soon. Need to do more research on them.

As far as Asian area knockboxes, Pratt's Cafelat line has been great for me for years. He has a black and stainless version that may fit the bill for you. Or even pick up a Tubbi for a shot of color in a sea of stanless and black.

Just ordered an OCD too - very excited to try it out. Got the WBC edition.

The best part? The wife loves to use it, too. That alone is a huge reason why I got the Synesso over the likes of a Speedster or Slayer. Considered the Strada too, but the single group is entirely enormous. If Kees would make a single group Spirit for me, I probably would have ended up with it. Jason at Slayer said a potential volumetric Slayer is in the future, but I'm not keen on waiting for one. I recently moved from the States to Malaysia, which prompted my purchase - had to get something that was 220v. Grinder was already 220, so that made things easy for me.

Gotta have pics, right?

sorry if the pics are too wide for the screen. the forum doesn't seem to want me to upload images.
    Last edited by networkcrasher; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:49 PM.
    coffeechris, Dimal, JohnA and 6 others like this.

I find these machines and set ups absolutely amazing. Much envy I must say! Tossing up between a linea mini or gs3 mp myself at the moment but don't think I could justify the gs3 even though it's pressure profiling like a strada now at a price a fair bit lower than the synesso or slayer.

Quote Originally Posted by networkcrasher View Post
    Like you, I progressed from many a machine to a GS3 (which I had for nearly 10 years) to a single group MVP hydra. I went for powder coat in a couple of different sheen's. I had to choose the color by looking at online samples and it didn't quite turn out as smokey of a black as I anticipated but it's quite grown on me. I have lusted after the Mythos for quite some time, but my old school Elektra Nino is still doing quite well. For now. I've had quite a few "titan" grinders over the years - Robur, Kony, K30 Vario, Versalab, Major, even my lowly Rocky. The Nino has a tiny bit of grind retention but a .5s purge every morning has solved that issue for many years.

I may pick up a Mythos or one of the new Versalab clones soon. Need to do more research on them.

As far as Asian area knockboxes, Pratt's Cafelat line has been great for me for years. He has a black and stainless version that may fit the bill for you. Or even pick up a Tubbi for a shot of color in a sea of stanless and black.

Just ordered an OCD too - very excited to try it out. Got the WBC edition.

The best part? The wife loves to use it, too. That alone is a huge reason why I got the Synesso over the likes of a Speedster or Slayer. Considered the Strada too, but the single group is entirely enormous. If Kees would make a single group Spirit for me, I probably would have ended up with it. Jason at Slayer said a potential volumetric Slayer is in the future, but I'm not keen on waiting for one. I recently moved from the States to Malaysia, which prompted my purchase - had to get something that was 220v. Grinder was already 220, so that made things easy for me.

Gotta have pics, right?

sorry if the pics are too wide for the screen. the forum doesn't seem to want me to upload images.
    Fantastic post, I love the look of this powder coat, I am excited to one day powder coat mine, but I need to wait to build our house first. My wife helped my decide too, she makes better coffee than me though, haha.

What wood package did you go for?

How long have you had the Synesso?

I'm really happy to see another one here.

If your interested in a Mythos, maybe wait a few months for the Mythos 2 it's tech is more in line with the Synesso and it is super cool. The original is great, but if you're getting excellent results then hold off if you can.

I'll check out these knock boxes thanks.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the OCD, I use it everyday and like it as part of the flow. I'm not sure it is a dramatic increase in flavour, but it is helpful and if nothing else helps get a level tamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Javed View Post
    I find these machines and set ups absolutely amazing. Much envy I must say! Tossing up between a linea mini or gs3 mp myself at the moment but don't think I could justify the gs3 even though it's pressure profiling like a strada now at a price a fair bit lower than the synesso or slayer.
    A GS3 is a prefect home machine, the Synesso is a big unit, I wouldn't go back, but the GS3 is definitely a huge step above anything else I had before.
    coffeechris and Javed like this.

A GS3 is a prefect home machine, the Synesso is a big unit, I wouldn't go back, but the GS3 is definitely a huge step above anything else I had before.
    Thanks so much for the reply. It is helpful to have someone who has owned the machine provide feedback. Did you have the mp with a strada mod or just plain mp or av? I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the coffee it made vs your new hydra? Did the gs3 make a comparable cup? Now I've played with a strada I think I've ruined my ability to think sensibly!

Quote Originally Posted by Javed View Post
    Thanks so much for the reply. It is helpful to have someone who has owned the machine provide feedback. Did you have the mp with a strada mod or just plain mp or av? I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the coffee it made vs your new hydra? Did the gs3 make a comparable cup? Now I've played with a strada I think I've ruined my ability to think sensibly!
    I only had a mp it was modified, but not with the Strada mod. It with a good grinder can make a coffee at least 90% of the coffee I can with the Hydra. Though if I was going to keep it(GS3) I would have done the mod. My dad uses the machine now and I regularly get to use it and what a joy it is to use. I'm trying to convince my dad to mod it, but no luck yet. The Strada is amazing, very technical, and it seems to be a good option, but the stock looks are not for me it would need some alterations to pretty it up. All the best with your choice. I would still buy the hydra again if I had the choice.
    matth3wh likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2