Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 53
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Synesso MVP Hydra arrival and install!!!

  1. #1
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343

    Synesso MVP Hydra arrival and install!!!

    A few of you have been following my thread where I was asking for some advice on new machine ( https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...4&share_type=t

    Synesso MVP Hydra 1 Group, thoughts? )

    Well this is finally the post that reveals the choice I've made, thank you everyone for your contributions.

    Now I'm sure a few of you are shocked at the decision, but basically it comes down to a few simple things.

    When I tested out the machines on offer, I found that the Synesso was by far, the machine I like to operate the most. It has a great feel behind the wheel and the controls are perfectly placed and beautiful to use.

    The other main thing was that it offered me volumetric control as well as manual profiling, none of the others could truly do this.

    Yes it's a large machine and on my current bench it looks to be rather imposing, though I've bought this to go into a new house we are building and I'll have a dedicated coffee nook. There I believe it will fit in perfectly.

    I got called into work today so I haven't really had a chance to play, but I'll update this thread as I learn more about the machine. Thanks again for your interest and feel free to ask me any questions you might have.
    Last edited by Jono_Willmer; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:31 PM.
    Dimal, Javaphile, JohnA and 9 others like this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    293
    congrats again Jono, looks beautiful on the bench and am sure will bring many years of coffee bliss.
    Looking forward to reading all your thoughts the more you play with it
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnA View Post
    congrats again Jono, looks beautiful on the bench and am sure will bring many years of coffee bliss.
    Looking forward to reading all your thoughts the more you play with it
    Thank you so much John, I'll do my best to keep updates coming through.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    https://youtu.be/VnUy4LKJmSs

    A video of the first shot I pulled on the new machine, it's a decent start.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    23
    Finally, it is revealed and Congratulation!!
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member matth3wh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mid North Coast NSW
    Posts
    742
    Pictures of this machine ❤️
    Freakin amazing machine.
    Congrats!
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    Pictures of this machine
    Freakin amazing machine.
    Congrats!
    Thanks man, I'll try and take some more decent photos soon.
    Last edited by Jono_Willmer; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:12 AM.
    matth3wh likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,560
    Awesome! What's the plan for the grinders now that the Mythos doesn't match?

  9. #9
    338
    338 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    193
    Congratulations! Thanks for the behind the scenes look, amazing how much of the machine is outside the casing.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Congratulations! Thanks for the behind the scenes look, amazing how much of the machine is outside the casing.
    Yeah, why does it have to be so big?

    I think one reason is it's the same design as always, but I truly think it's because the ergonomics are so good they keep it this way(unless they are too lazy to change it).

  11. #11
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Awesome! What's the plan for the grinders now that the Mythos doesn't match?
    they match, don't they???

    I can't begin to think about that, the Mythos will have to do for now.

    What do you recommend? ha ha

  12. #12
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Casula, NSW
    Posts
    474
    Gorgeous Jono!
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    First flat white for my wife.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    16
    Looking good.
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

  15. #15
    Senior Member matth3wh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mid North Coast NSW
    Posts
    742

    Synesso MVP Hydra arrival and install!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono_Willmer View Post
    they match, don't they???

    I can't begin to think about that, the Mythos will have to do for now.

    What do you recommend? ha ha
    I think /hope he is messing with you on the Mythos 🤣

    If you want imposing you could go EK43 or one of the Titan Grinders. Or perhaps the Lyn Weber EG-1 would match "better".

    It's the espresso overdose talking... 🤡
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono_Willmer View Post
    they match, don't they???

    I can't begin to think about that, the Mythos will have to do for now.

    What do you recommend? ha ha
    Haha! Sorry man, don't mean to throw a spanner in the works. Yep, they match for sure! Love the new machine. Very slick.
    Jono_Willmer and matth3wh like this.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Haha! Sorry man, don't mean to throw a spanner in the works. Yep, they match for sure! Love the new machine. Very slick.
    I know, I just can't even consider changing anything at the moment. The Mythos is a great grinder, just the look is slightly a clash.
    LeroyC likes this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Casula, NSW
    Posts
    474
    You'll just have to have the Mythos panels chromed
    Jono_Willmer and LeroyC like this.

  19. #19
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    639
    Machine looks beautiful!!!
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Gawler , S.A
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono_Willmer View Post
    they match, don't they???

    I can't begin to think about that, the Mythos will have to do for now.

    What do you recommend? ha ha
    OMG they both look awesome, big congrats!

    Just wondering did you swap-out the standard black machine levers and PF handles for the matching wood ? IMO fwiw, if you took those few items back to mythos black that would tie grinder and Synesso together..... like a match made in heaven, ..Drooool Drooool.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeechris View Post
    Machine looks beautiful!!!
    Thank you very much.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by slipslopslap View Post
    OMG they both look awesome, big congrats!

    Just wondering did you swap-out the standard black machine levers and PF handles for the matching wood ? IMO fwiw, if you took those few items back to mythos black that would tie grinder and Synesso together..... like a match made in heaven, ..Drooool Drooool.
    I paid extra for the wood, I felt it softened the look somewhat.

    Eventually I'll have it powder coated, but until I know what colour scheme we will be using for our new house it will stay as is.
    slipslopslap and LeroyC like this.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    New video uploaded showing the VP mode. I dialled in the extraction using the manual mode then fine tuned it in the controller for the fully automatic program.

    https://youtu.be/6sSZIUS1veE

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    10
    Lovely bit of kit, almost a shame it has to go against a wall as it looks great from any side. Is the top drawer rail deliberately short for the underbench bits (assuming from the previous machine) great idea without affecting the rest of the cupboard space.

    I read the blurb on what it can do from their website, I have no idea what it means to the end result but it sounds very impressive.

    Standard on the MVP Hydra is our unique bypass system that offers 4 programmable stages of pressure profiling- Preinfusion, Ramp Up, Full Pressure (9 bar extraction), and Ramp Down. You can set these stages to maximize the acids, sugars, and texture of your coffees. Using these stages allows far greater command of an espresso shot and affords the user the ability to get the very most of any particular roast profile.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockford View Post
    Lovely bit of kit, almost a shame it has to go against a wall as it looks great from any side. Is the top drawer rail deliberately short for the underbench bits (assuming from the previous machine) great idea without affecting the rest of the cupboard space.

    I read the blurb on what it can do from their website, I have no idea what it means to the end result but it sounds very impressive.
    Hi Rockford,

    Yes the back of this model is especially nice, I think that the logo is great on the 1 groups. One day it will be on an island bench so it will be visible, but for now it's hidden.

    The top drawer is short yes, it works very well indeed.

    The system is actually not very complicated to use at all, it sounds more complex than it is. Think of 4 stages: pre-infusion, ramp up, full pump pressure and ramp down. The pressure of each stage is adjustable though ramp up and ramp down are the same. It's just a simple extraction curve, that can be modified by time on the fly and the individual pressures by mechanical adjustments to the pump and water inlet systems.

    I hope that makes sense? I'll try and do a video to explain it soon.
    matth3wh likes this.

  26. #26
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono_Willmer View Post
    Hi Rockford,

    Yes the back of this model is especially nice, I think that the logo is great on the 1 groups. One day it will be on an island bench so it will be visible, but for now it's hidden.

    The top drawer is short yes, it works very well indeed.

    The system is actually not very complicated to use at all, it sounds more complex than it is. Think of 4 stages: pre-infusion, ramp up, full pump pressure and ramp down. The pressure of each stage is adjustable though ramp up and ramp down are the same. It's just a simple extraction curve, that can be modified by time on the fly and the individual pressures by mechanical adjustments to the pump and water inlet systems.

    I hope that makes sense? I'll try and do a video to explain it soon.
    Nice. Time to find some nice, relatively lightly roasted Geishas or Pacamaras and treat them to long preinfusions, gentle ramps and declining pressure profiles. I'm thinking 20-30sec, sub 3bar preinfusion experiments. Jealous.

  27. #27
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Nice. Time to find some nice, relatively lightly roasted Geishas or Pacamaras and treat them to long preinfusions, gentle ramps and declining pressure profiles. I'm thinking 20-30sec, sub 3bar preinfusion experiments. Jealous.
    That's an excellent sounding idea. I'll have to try that out.
    Are you saying 20-30 sec pre-infusion?

  28. #28
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono_Willmer View Post
    That's an excellent sounding idea. I'll have to try that out.
    Are you saying 20-30 sec pre-infusion?
    Yeah maybe. It'll depend on the coffee and it's roast level and density, and if I had a machine like that I'd definitely be trying a few experiments. I remember James Hoffmann saying something like an 8sec preinfusion is a good starting point for a 20g dose of your average espresso. Obviously anything that could make a coffee more difficult to extract (such as roast level and density) will mean that it could benefit from a longer preinfusion. The other thing to try is a much finer grind as a decent preinfusion could allow you to do this without choking the machine.
    shortblackman likes this.

  29. #29
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Yeah maybe. It'll depend on the coffee and it's roast level and density, and if I had a machine like that I'd definitely be trying a few experiments. I remember James Hoffmann saying something like an 8sec preinfusion is a good starting point for a 20g dose of your average espresso. Obviously anything that could make a coffee more difficult to extract (such as roast level and density) will mean that it could benefit from a longer preinfusion. The other thing to try is a much finer grind as a decent preinfusion could allow you to do this without choking the machine.
    Ok that's great info thank you for your interest and suggestions. If you're ever on the South Coast of NSW drop me a line and come and have a play.

  30. #30
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono_Willmer View Post
    Ok that's great info thank you for your interest and suggestions. If you're ever on the South Coast of NSW drop me a line and come and have a play.
    There's plenty you can try and there's heaps of stuff online about pressure profiling and lever profiles so you won't find it hard to find info and tips. As unlikely as it is that I'll get to the South Coast any time soon you never know so I'll keep that in mind, cheers.

  31. #31
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    What do people think of this knock box?

    I like it, but maybe it looks a little industrial?

    I'm thinking of returning it, but I'm not sure yet.

    The last image is of my current one.

  32. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    23

    Synesso MVP Hydra arrival and install!!!

    It looks good with the CM. IMO i think it would look even better with a wooden knock box with stainless steel insert. Get the wood stained to the handle/paddle colour. 🤤.

    I feel sorry for your Mazzer. Seems like it got squeezed into a tiny spot.

  33. #33
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Casula, NSW
    Posts
    474
    The current one matches better
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

  34. #34
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by desachan View Post
    It looks good with the CM. IMO i think it would look even better with a wooden knock box with stainless steel insert. Get the wood stained to the handle/paddle colour. 🤤.

    I feel sorry for your Mazzer. Seems like it got squeezed into a tiny spot.
    It is tight, but it plays second fiddle now. It works and because I grind into a tumbler when I use the Mazzer it isn't an issue. The ergonomics aren't the best either is the look, but I can't afford to loose anymore bench space ha ha.

    You're knock box idea sounds great, have you seen one available like that?

    Thanks

  35. #35
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    The current one matches better
    I agree, I just hate emptying it so often.

  36. #36
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Casula, NSW
    Posts
    474
    They're relatively common, I just googled wooden knock box. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

    The other option is to get one like the above but cut into the bench, with a bin underneath.
    Jono_Willmer and matth3wh like this.

  37. #37
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    They're relatively common, I just googled wooden knock box. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg
    Wow, should have tried Google, thanks for not having a go at me.
    matth3wh likes this.

  38. #38
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Casula, NSW
    Posts
    474
    I've seen them around, that's why I knew what I was looking for on Google.
    There's also this idea:
    http://designlayout.com/images/Our_S.../knock-box.jpg
    matth3wh likes this.

  39. #39
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    I've seen them around, that's why I knew what I was looking for on Google.
    There's also this idea:
    http://designlayout.com/images/Our_S.../knock-box.jpg
    In the new house this is what I'll have installed, great idea thanks.
    matth3wh likes this.

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    112
    If you like the Stainless one but want a bigger one any Stainless steel fabricator could make you one. If you want to intergrate some wood I'd say either add a wooden base to it or rim. Thinking the rim could also act to protect things from the sharp edge of the Stainless
    Also like the in bench idea from level3ninja but I'd add a sprung loaded push to open lid to it because I'd drop drop stuff in there when not intending to (I don't mean coffee pucks)
    beautiful looking machine Jono!
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

  41. #41
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Mb21 View Post
    If you like the Stainless one but want a bigger one any Stainless steel fabricator could make you one. If you want to intergrate some wood I'd say either add a wooden base to it or rim. Thinking the rim could also act to protect things from the sharp edge of the Stainless
    Also like the in bench idea from level3ninja but I'd add a sprung loaded push to open lid to it because I'd drop drop stuff in there when not intending to (I don't mean coffee pucks)
    beautiful looking machine Jono!
    Thanks Mb21, I don't have any spare coin left after purchasing the machine so a custom box might be out of the question for now, but it is a great idea.

  42. #42
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,560
    Jono I think a knock box along the lines of these ones would be more suitable than the black plastic fantastic.



    Dimal likes this.

  43. #43
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Jono I think a knock box along the lines of these ones would be more suitable than the black plastic fantastic.



    Very interesting designs, thank you for sharing them.
    LeroyC likes this.

  44. #44
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono_Willmer View Post
    Very interesting designs, thank you for sharing them.
    The round stainless one is the Rocket one and might be branded, I'm not sure. It's also the most expensive at $100 or so. That particular wooden one is sold by a local roaster here in NZ for about NZ$90 I think. Not sure if similar ones are available elsewhere. The smaller stainless one is similar to some I've seen on eBay in the past.
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

  45. #45
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono_Willmer View Post
    It is tight, but it plays second fiddle now. It works and because I grind into a tumbler when I use the Mazzer it isn't an issue. The ergonomics aren't the best either is the look, but I can't afford to loose anymore bench space ha ha.

    You're knock box idea sounds great, have you seen one available like that?

    Thanks
    No. I have yet to find an Australian seller that sells wooden knock box with stainless steel insert. So I intend to make the wooden box myself and buy the stainless steel insert from eBay. That also gives me a choice to stain to the colour i like. Making the box should be fun.
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

  46. #46
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Week one update:

    So I've had the Synesso for a full week now, I still get a buzz each time I walk past it or catch a glimpse.

    Let me say so far I've definitely made the right choice. The system is so easy to use and adjust. I went through a kg of coffee(commercial roasted blend) on the weekend with my dad and tested out some of the settings and pressure adjustments. The blend I bought is mostly for milk drinks, but I wanted something I knew fairly well and that was consistent(more so than my small batch roast's).

    The biggest changes in taste seemed to come with pre-infusion time and ramp down time. The volumetric program is brilliant for that as it means I could adjust things without my user error effecting anything. I also played briefly with temperatures with some good results.

    I love the design of the machine it's so easy to work with and it's very well made, extreme attention to detail(a Speedster has better integration of body panels and components, but the Synesso is more industrial looking and therefore has some exposed internal features), everything is finished to the highest standard. The welding and metal fabrication is a sign of the quality of this machine, it is truly next level above anything I've ever used.

    The electronics and programming is a joy to use, so straight forward and quick to adjust. The controls are positive and settings adjust very quickly in the boilers(cooling down is added by a few flushes). No complaints here at all. There is a "power saving" timer to drop the boiler temps over night(Synesso say this is better for the machine than a full shutdown and restart each day).

    The steam power is great and I've been able to create some decent micro-foam with it(my latte art skills are poor), but I'll keep practising and I've managed to get some good results compared to what I was achieving with the GS3. The only slight blemish on the whole machine so far is that the cool touch wand tends to hold a fair bit of water between steaming sessions(anything more than 15 mins it tends to get waterlogged). It's not a huge deal a quick purge and it's ready to go, I was just surprised at the amount it held in there.

    I relocated the pump on the weekend to allow me better access to the adjustments and I couldn't be happier with it, everything feels like it's in it's place.

    Overall I'm actually happier than I thought I could be with this machine, it truly is amazing. When I get a chance I'll do some more videos and go through some of the features. Thanks for you're interest and feel free to ask any questions you have.

    Regards,

    Jono

    P.S. new control orientation pictures, everything clears perfectly in the drawers.

  47. #47
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Got a new dedicated light for the machine now too, haha.

  48. #48
    338
    338 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    193
    Jono is that a timer in the GPO for the machine or are using the 'power saving' feature to just lower boiler temps?

  49. #49
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Jono is that a timer in the GPO for the machine or are using the 'power saving' feature to just lower boiler temps?
    No it's a cheap surge filter for my grinders. I've bought a new 30A timer, but I haven't installed it yet. I don't know if I will end up using it.

  50. #50
    338
    338 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    193
    I forgot about the big amperage. Makes the power saving mode a useful option
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •