Thread: Orchestrale pour time - double shot

Orchestrale pour time - double shot

snobs- noib question here

i have puechased a NOTA espresso machine

the pour function is a lever not an auto timed pour.

how long should a double shot pour be?

what pressure should i be looking for on expresso guage?

what else should i know before start?

Quote Originally Posted by headake View Post
    snobs- noib question here

i have puechased a NOTA espresso machine

the pour function is a lever not an auto timed pour.

how long should a double shot pour be?

what pressure should i be looking for on expresso guage?

what else should i know before start?
    similar to photo

25-30 seconds of liquid pouring is a good guide. But you may have a preinfuse in there as well.
    Anything much over 40 sec will start to taste over extracted/bitter/burnt etc.

Pressure? What does the manual say? Probably 9 bar?

Hi Headache, you are drinking too much or too little coffee??? My Nota pressure gauge starts extraction at 8 bar and builds up to nine bar,the steam is about 1 to 1.2 bar. It takes approx. 5 seconds for coffee to flow after lifting the Brew lever and I aim for a 25 second extraction, total time 30 seconds. There appears to be more error room at the top end, eg 45 seconds is better than 20 sec.At present my partner is drinking 17 gms.of Andys.Indian Elephant Hills through a 18g. Pullman basket and IMS shower screen. I prefer 20g. through a 20/22 gm. Pullman basket and IMS shower screen, and my choice of beans is varied. I only mention the baskets and shower screen because they speed up the pour, previously I was using EP baskets, also good. The supplied larger double basket (14gm?) is OK. I don't care much for single baskets. hope this helps. Chippy

Hi Headake, forgot to mention that a good, maybe not perfect, coffee can be obtained after a 15 min. start up time, provided I flush a little Hot water through the Brew head first. Chippy

Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    Hi Headache, you are drinking too much or too little coffee??? My Nota pressure gauge starts extraction at 8 bar and builds up to nine bar,the steam is about 1 to 1.2 bar. It takes approx. 5 seconds for coffee to flow after lifting the Brew lever and I aim for a 25 second extraction, total time 30 seconds. There appears to be more error room at the top end, eg 45 seconds is better than 20 sec.At present my partner is drinking 17 gms.of Andys.Indian Elephant Hills through a 18g. Pullman basket and IMS shower screen. I prefer 20g. through a 20/22 gm. Pullman basket and IMS shower screen, and my choice of beans is varied. I only mention the baskets and shower screen because they speed up the pour, previously I was using EP baskets, also good. The supplied larger double basket (14gm?) is OK. I don't care much for single baskets. hope this helps. Chippy
    Chippy

drink a bit of coffee all types (pour over,cold drip and plunger) this machine is my first expresso

i would only use a double group as i like strong coffee

if tamping i get around 8 to 9bar i am tamping hard enough?

i think i had short poured a lot as seems to have a lot of liquid very quick normally 15 to 20sec

i havent weighted my grind yet by your post i should aim for 14 to 20g? for a double shot?

Hi Headache, I don't think you got my warped sense of humor, notice the spelling of your name in my first and second posts, hence the dig about too much or too little coffee. No serious offence meant. Firstly Tamping doesn't make all that much difference IMO, as long as you are consistent. If your extractions run at 8-9 bar your Nota is probably set up OK. Secondly a double basket doesn't mean you are making strong coffee, 25 gram extractions into a 500 ml mug is not as strong as 14 gms into a 120 ml cup. Re. extraction its all about weight of beans, time of extraction and amount extracted. I extract 30-35 gms of Coffee in 30 sec. total time or 25 seconds extraction time, my extraction ratio is high 1.5 to 1 (33gms extracted coffee to 22gms of beans). I think 2-1 is more usual. Your 15 seconds is a bit quick, try grinding a little finer till you get a 30 second extraction. Try the coffees as you go and you will find the sweet spot for you. good luck Chippy

Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    Hi Headache, I don't think you got my warped sense of humor, notice the spelling of your name in my first and second posts, hence the dig about too much or too little coffee. No serious offence meant. Firstly Tamping doesn't make all that much difference IMO, as long as you are consistent. If your extractions run at 8-9 bar your Nota is probably set up OK. Secondly a double basket doesn't mean you are making strong coffee, 25 gram extractions into a 500 ml mug is not as strong as 14 gms into a 120 ml cup. Re. extraction its all about weight of beans, time of extraction and amount extracted. I extract 30-35 gms of Coffee in 30 sec. total time or 25 seconds extraction time, my extraction ratio is high 1.5 to 1 (33gms extracted coffee to 22gms of beans). I think 2-1 is more usual. Your 15 seconds is a bit quick, try grinding a little finer till you get a 30 second extraction. Try the coffees as you go and you will find the sweet spot for you. good luck Chippy
    all good no offence ha ha...

thanks for your super detailed response.

got a scale yesterday and will try getting bean to coffee ratio better