Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree29Likes
  • 11 Post By coffeechris
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By JohnA
  • 1 Post By Hoggers
  • 1 Post By Jono_Willmer
  • 1 Post By magnafunk
  • 1 Post By coffeechris
  • 2 Post By coffeechris
  • 1 Post By coffeechris
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By shortblackman
  • 1 Post By coffeechris
  • 1 Post By artman
  • 1 Post By coffeechris
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 3 Post By Casa Espresso

Thread: Alex Duetto IV - First impressions

  1. #1
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    657

    Alex Duetto IV - First impressions

    So this morning I picked up my new machine from Antony at Casa Espresso. After placing an order sometime ago Im glad to say the wait was over and i was able to get it home and pump out a couple of shots to test the water. For anyone who reads this now and in the future I just wish to say i have come from a Expobar Minore which i owed for 5 plus years. the Expobar never missed a beat but like many on here seeing all these newer machines can get you wanting a newer machine. That said as much as i looked i kept thinking the Expobar had not missed a beat, so should i upgrade?

    So having had the Alex Duetto for a little over 2 hours now at home I wish to give you a brief run down of my thoughts so far. I wont compare it anymore to the Expobar...

    Straight out of the box you can see there has been alot of care put into the presentation of the machine and what comes with it. The machine is heavy I will say that much. When on the bench with the legs on its sits pretty nice and gives a shiny presence. Straight away you can see the quality of the build and the detail put into the machine itself. after turning it on you soon quickly realize the machine is quiet when the pump is on.
    the adjustment of the pressure was handy in the position it was as I did have to make an adjustment as it was set only at approx 8 bar. This would be more fiddly on many other machines, but this was simple and done in a few seconds.

    I mentioned to Antony, i really like the PID colour, not red, not blue just a subtle white colour if you can call white a colour. The water and steam knobs, look nice and work really well. The Pressure from the steam is something I have to say i need to get use too... A few steam tips to choose from also. The distance between the drip tray and portafilter is a real plus, it makes the machine look well balanced and allows my partner to use taller glass cups for her coffee.

    First shot came out a little quick, i put this down to the grinder being somewhat off and my partner adjusting it to use for something else sometime ago... This said the taste was pretty amazing. I was surprise as on my old machine it would have been evident the shot to taste sour, this didn't. After making some adjustments i got the coffee dialed in and was pulling great shot. As i said the machine is almost silent, which is a good thing for early mornings when the SO complains about hearing the Coffee machine going. She wont be complaining anymore... She wont hear it and came now make great coffee.

    As mentioned its been a little over 2 hours, but so far i dont have any doubt this machine is worth the money it is and will provide great coffee going forward. Its Durable and elegant at the same time. Anyone looking to buy one of these I think you are going to be impressed by the look and the coffee it can make.

    I wish to thank Antony from Casa Espresso for the good service, he kept me up to date with when the machines was coming. It made it very easy to buy this through him.

    Want to know anymore please ask.

    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dimal, flynnaus, JohnA and 8 others like this.

  2. #2
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    15,506
    Classy machine mate...

    Mal.
    coffeechris likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    295
    beautiful machine, congrats
    coffeechris likes this.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Abbotsbury
    Posts
    60
    Looks awesome... and by the sounds of it you are going to experience many years of enjoyment
    coffeechris likes this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeechris View Post
    So this morning I picked up my new machine from Antony at Casa Espresso. After placing an order sometime ago Im glad to say the wait was over and i was able to get it home and pump out a couple of shots to test the water. For anyone who reads this now and in the future I just wish to say i have come from a Expobar Minore which i owed for 5 plus years. the Expobar never missed a beat but like many on here seeing all these newer machines can get you wanting a newer machine. That said as much as i looked i kept thinking the Expobar had not missed a beat, so should i upgrade?

    So having had the Alex Duetto for a little over 2 hours now at home I wish to give you a brief run down of my thoughts so far. I wont compare it anymore to the Expobar...

    Straight out of the box you can see there has been alot of care put into the presentation of the machine and what comes with it. The machine is heavy I will say that much. When on the bench with the legs on its sits pretty nice and gives a shiny presence. Straight away you can see the quality of the build and the detail put into the machine itself. after turning it on you soon quickly realize the machine is quiet when the pump is on.
    the adjustment of the pressure was handy in the position it was as I did have to make an adjustment as it was set only at approx 8 bar. This would be more fiddly on many other machines, but this was simple and done in a few seconds.

    I mentioned to Antony, i really like the PID colour, not red, not blue just a subtle white colour if you can call white a colour. The water and steam knobs, look nice and work really well. The Pressure from the steam is something I have to say i need to get use too... A few steam tips to choose from also. The distance between the drip tray and portafilter is a real plus, it makes the machine look well balanced and allows my partner to use taller glass cups for her coffee.

    First shot came out a little quick, i put this down to the grinder being somewhat off and my partner adjusting it to use for something else sometime ago... This said the taste was pretty amazing. I was surprise as on my old machine it would have been evident the shot to taste sour, this didn't. After making some adjustments i got the coffee dialed in and was pulling great shot. As i said the machine is almost silent, which is a good thing for early mornings when the SO complains about hearing the Coffee machine going. She wont be complaining anymore... She wont hear it and came now make great coffee.

    As mentioned its been a little over 2 hours, but so far i dont have any doubt this machine is worth the money it is and will provide great coffee going forward. Its Durable and elegant at the same time. Anyone looking to buy one of these I think you are going to be impressed by the look and the coffee it can make.

    I wish to thank Antony from Casa Espresso for the good service, he kept me up to date with when the machines was coming. It made it very easy to buy this through him.

    Want to know anymore please ask.

    Chris
    So glad it arrived safely, I'm a huge Alex fan and this is sometime very special, congrats and enjoy. It looks brilliant too.
    coffeechris likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member magnafunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    East Kimberley, WA
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeechris View Post
    Want to know anymore please ask.
    Yeah, just wondering when you're inviting us all over for a sample
    coffeechris likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by magnafunk View Post
    Yeah, just wondering when you're inviting us all over for a sample
    Long drive for you mate, but sure we can work something out next time your down.
    magnafunk likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Classy machine mate...

    Mal.
    Mel, I hope you spotted a couple of the Espresso cups i bought from you on top of the machine.
    Dimal and magnafunk like this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    657
    Had a bit more time to play with the machine this evening as we had friends over. Loving it and getting use to it. I will say for me so far the pressure out of the steam tip is to the point i will have to get use to it. So far ive been unable to master the milk. That will come in time. So far I have no questions or gripes.

    Chris
    matth3wh likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,054
    Very nice!! Congrats!

    Cheers

  11. #11
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    15,506
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeechris View Post
    Mel, I hope you spotted a couple of the Espresso cups i bought from you on top of the machine.
    I did notice the little NPs sitting in pride of place, and wondered about that...

    Mal.
    coffeechris likes this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dandenongs
    Posts
    556
    Nice work Chris
    Looks great.
    coffeechris likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    657
    You learn something new everyday....

    With the Alex Duetto, you get a number of steam tips. I never thought much about this as the Expobar came with just the one. As mentioned I have found the steam pressure to be extremely powerful, so powerful ive been unable to achieve what i would call my own preferred texture of Milk. After failing again this morning I though maybe i should go with a different tip. Not thinking about it i only assumed the less holes the easier it would be to control. When i looked in the box i expected to see a 1 hole steam tip, which there was not. I remember the Expobar had a 3 hole steam tip so decided to go with that appose to the 2 hole. Straight away it was a big change and i was able to achieve what i would normally.

    Chris
    Dimal likes this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,054
    If it comes with the 4 hole 1mm diameter tip (pretty sure it does), give that a go. I have used this config on a couple of different machines with good success.

    At least you can experiment with them all and see what suits you. Some will be better at larger milk volumes.

    Cheers
    coffeechris likes this.

  15. #15
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    15,506
    You've got to love the attention to detail that Izzo puts into all their products, as do Rocket Espresso too of course.
    Don't know of too many others that do this...

    Mal.

  16. #16
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    657
    Thanks guys will do. After changing it over and noticing a difference it made, it actually made me think I should give the others ago and see what difference it makes.

    Mel, i must say in my original post about this I wanted to and forgot to mentioned im sure other machine makers put the attention to detail in to their machines like Izzo have. Its what makes it hard for someone looking at a new machine. Alot of the time you find prices are very similar and the ins and outs of them are similar from one maker to another. It comes down to looks when you have a price range in mind these days.

    Chris
    Dimal likes this.

  17. #17
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    513
    Hi Chris,

    Great all is going well.

    I knew you were keen to pick it up when you were waiting outside the showroom before we had opened on Saturday morning!

    Remember there is one other variable you can change with steaming and that is the pressure in the steam boiler. All easily adjustable through the PID control

    Cheers

    Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal likes this.

  18. #18
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    513


    Another nicely presented option from Izzo.
    Optional coloured handle options including taps, lever, group handles and a white handled tamper.
    All nicely presented.
    Well done Izzo, we are impressed.

    Cheers

    Antony
    Www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal, noonar and level3ninja like this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •